Vanilla Minecraft News Discussion

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Re: Morvelaira's MC News Compilation

Post by FlowerChild »

walker_boh_65 wrote:If the level cap is now 30, then what happens with the enderdragon?
As I hinted at with the video link above...it's just a number.

30 is just the new 50. It is an utterly meaningless change. Having mobs drop more XP, or having it take less XP to go to level 50 would have done the same thing.

It just gives the guys bugging them to make it easier the ability to now say that they can crank it up to "11".
Dr. Kylstein

Post by Dr. Kylstein »

Husbag3 wrote:As Renevo would say you get "A mertic f**k ton" of wasted exp :(
Maybe we'll just need to deploy FC's XP storage system before the kill.
Pseudosavior

Post by Pseudosavior »

Experience level progression is now linear
Well hot damn, that ruins a lot more than the other experience changes. So not only do you need 20 less levels (which required higher and higher amounts of experience) but now the 30 levels you do need are much easier to gain in the first place. Unless my extremely tired brain isn't thinking about this right.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Honestly, the change that really concerns me (if I let myself be concerned by such things anymore ;) ) about the XP thing is turning it linear.

Having to balance spending XP now vs collecting more was an interesting aspect of the enchanting system that required some small thought on the part of the player. With this change, you'll just be able to stockpile xp ad infinitum with no consideration of cost/benefit.
Pseudosavior wrote: Well hot damn, that ruins a lot more than the other experience changes. So not only do you need 20 less levels (which required higher and higher amounts of experience) but now the 30 levels you do need are much easier to gain in the first place. Unless my extremely tired brain isn't thinking about this right.
Again...that part has no meaning. It could be just as hard to hit 30 as 50. 50 is an arbitrary number that Notch pulled out of his ass, while 30 is only different in that it came out of Jeb's. It's the other changes that make the difference.
qrunchmonkey

Post by qrunchmonkey »

I actually think gaining XP from mining and smelting is a good idea. Poorly thought out, and probably over powered, but I think it's got similar goals to FC's XP automation. (rewards for progress instead of rewards for grinding) It's always seemed weird to me that in Minecraft you gain XP not by mining and crafting, but by running around in the dark punching mobs. Though, it really doesn't fit with the scraps of backstory that Mojang has created.

Making XP linear and nerfing the amount of bookcases required for a max level enchant on the other hand....I'm in serious danger of breaking my nose if I face-palm any harder.
walker_boh_65

Post by walker_boh_65 »

Battlecat wrote:
walker_boh_65 wrote:If the level cap is now 30, then what happens with the enderdragon?
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the number of levels you can hold is still unlimited, it's just the number of levels required for the maximum quality enchantments that has changed. 30 instead of 50 is the highest quality enchantment.
Oh right, derp. Its just the same as a level cap of 50 with a new name. Completely misunderstood this one, my bad.
Sarudak
Site Admin

Post by Sarudak »

According to the change log they also made level progression linear. Getting top level enchantments will probably be trivial now... :(
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

qrunchmonkey wrote:I actually think gaining XP from mining and smelting is a good idea.
Actually, I don't really mind that part either. It messes with my back-story a bit to explain all this, which isn't Mojang's problem, but of course if the world is a big mob-grinder, having bits and pieces of souls stashed within the world itself can be justified anyways.

What does concern me about it though is whether the XP is directly credited to the player or whether orbs come out of blocks when you break them. Having bells going off and all kinds of shit flying around while mining seems more annoying than anything else.

Can someone who has played the pre-release confirm this detail?
Battlecat

Post by Battlecat »

FlowerChild wrote:
qrunchmonkey wrote:I actually think gaining XP from mining and smelting is a good idea.
Actually, I don't really mind that part either. It messes with my back-story a bit to explain all this, which isn't Mojang's problem, but of course if the world is a big mob-grinder, having bits and pieces of souls stashed within the world itself can be justified anyways.

What does concern me about it though is whether the XP is directly credited to the player or whether orbs come out of blocks when you break them. Having bells going off and all kinds of shit flying around while mining seems more annoying than anything else.

Can someone who has played the pre-release confirm this detail?
Docm77 posted a short video showing the xp from mining. Sorry to report, it looks like orbs drop along with the ore and the orbs were making their usual sound in his video.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Oh, this is an interesting one from the change-log on MC-wiki:
Extremely rarely, Nether Portals will spawn Zombie Pigmen.
I see players building overworld pigmen farms in the near future. Kindof a shame there, as it may make the Nether less valuable, even if I like the idea of these "leaks" to the overworld happening due to an active portal.
Battlecat wrote:Docm77 posted a short video showing the xp from mining. Sorry to report, it looks like orbs drop along with the ore and the orbs were making their usual sound in his video.
Ick. Is it as annoying as I anticipated?

Hmm...this one is interesting as well:
When exposed to rain, Cauldrons have a possibility of slowly filling with water
MoRmEnGiL

Post by MoRmEnGiL »

Hmm, iirc also extremely rarely, portals will spawn ghasts, or was that removed?
Ick. Is it as annoying as I anticipated?
Unless it's diamond (where the bells and whistles are kinda nice :P) I bet it will get really old.
Huh? This caught me totally off guard. 99% it's just that, cauldrons refill when exposed to rain, but it sort of sets a precedent.. And in the 0.0001% chance that it actually is part of a feature, I will be very surprised.
War..
War never changes.

Remember what the dormouse said
HavokSCOUT

Post by HavokSCOUT »

MoRmEnGiL wrote:Hmm, iirc also extremely rarely, portals will spawn ghasts, or was that removed?
I don't think it was implemented to begin with, but if it has, it's been removed.
Spoiler
Show
Brony, and proud of it
CheGiuAn wrote:ppl should have faith, not religion....
Katalliaan wrote:It's a tech shrub, more like
MagikEh wrote: D: THE SEEKRET OF SYRUPEY BEAVER NIPPLES HAS BEEN EXPOSED!!! ABORT~!~!
Dry Paratroopa

Post by Dry Paratroopa »

Adventure Mode. It's one part good, several parts bad. The good part is the non-cheating system. A bad part is the non-cheating system. Sometimes breaking or placing blocks can be useful in certain situations, such as anything LoZ style (TNT dungeon item?). They really should make some sort of flag that can be added to blocks that allows them to override the rule. Also, no mods while in that mode. There are many good traps and puzzles that aren't vanilla (Hibachi floor run by a clock, anyone?).
Both the Colosseum of the past and the Hunger Games of the (supposed) future stem from the fact that life is simply a competition to see who can live the longest.
Flesh_Engine

Post by Flesh_Engine »

FlowerChild wrote:Oh, this is an interesting one from the change-log on MC-wiki:
I see players building overworld pigmen farms in the near future. Kindof a shame there, as it may make the Nether less valuable, even if I like the idea of these "leaks" to the overworld happening due to an active portal.

Hmm...this one is interesting as well:
Amusingly, i was about to post these points.

The cauldron thing could open up some nice oppertunities i think.

Also, on the mineopedia, it states on the tripwire hook page that there are 5 types to be introduced? What's all that about? Typo?
"An engine of flesh can do that..." // "Man feed Machine. Machine feed Man..."
Ferrus.Manus

Post by Ferrus.Manus »

Flesh_Engine wrote:Also, on the mineopedia, it states on the tripwire hook page that there are 5 types to be introduced? What's all that about? Typo?
It says that it's one of 5 switches, aka. redstone input devices introduced to the game (together with lever, button, pressure plates and detector rail).
Thalarctia

Post by Thalarctia »

MoRmEnGiL wrote:

Hmm, iirc also extremely rarely, portals will spawn ghasts, or was that removed?
I do not know for sure if it was removed, but it has not happened to be since beta 1.6 or so. In my first world I had my portal on top of a tower that I lived in, and occasionally I would have to go to the top and shoot down a ghast, or find a pigman running down the stairs. Hasn't happened for ages now though.
Flesh_Engine

Post by Flesh_Engine »

Ferrus.Manus wrote:
Flesh_Engine wrote:Also, on the mineopedia, it states on the tripwire hook page that there are 5 types to be introduced? What's all that about? Typo?
It says that it's one of 5 switches, aka. redstone input devices introduced to the game (together with lever, button, pressure plates and detector rail).
Yeah, was probably a typo since the entire page was rewritten.

Moving on :p
"An engine of flesh can do that..." // "Man feed Machine. Machine feed Man..."
M!C

Post by M!C »

MoRmEnGiL wrote:Hmm, iirc also extremely rarely, portals will spawn ghasts, or was that removed?
Just to clear that up, this was never implemented. Notch joked about it on twitter and many people thought he actually did it.
Itamarcu

Post by Itamarcu »

FlowerChild wrote: Hmm...this one is interesting as well:
LOL, It's exactly what I suggested a few months ago :)
It sounds like a nice new way of getting water when you have HCB mode.
You know what you should read? Worm. Here you go: https://parahumans.wordpress.com/catego ... tion/1-01/
Zhil

Post by Zhil »

DocM wrote:It is even better now..you get to level 30 in 30 secs...lol
Apparently it takes 30 seconds now to go to max level with an enderman trap. Regardless of meaningless numbers, 15 bookcases, linear leveling? Yeah, enchanting just got totally screwed over. On the aesthetic side, it's an improvement, since it was fun to have to build a multi block system, but being required to make it always the same shape and size was a bit meh.

I'm just hoping this doesn't mean it's crazy easy to enchant all your stuff at max level.
Thalarctia wrote:In my first world I had my portal on top of a tower that I lived in, and occasionally I would have to go to the top and shoot down a ghast, or find a pigman running down the stairs. Hasn't happened for ages now though.
Yeah, better slow down on the magic shrooms there man, there has never been ghast or pigman spawning near portals, that's just an urban legend.
Come join us at Vioki's Discord! discord.gg/fhMK5kx
Zhil

Post by Zhil »

Oh, and I quickly calculated the math: 102 enemies gets you to max level. That's not easy, that's trivially and utterly easy. Max level enchants now take less time than gathering the diamonds required for your sword.
Come join us at Vioki's Discord! discord.gg/fhMK5kx
Battosay

Post by Battosay »

Looks like I won't have to make that mobtrap in the End THAT big, one floor will be enough ....
Itamarcu

Post by Itamarcu »

That sucks, but judging by the time FC spends to let us automate and store EXP I guess it will be important later in BTW.
You know what you should read? Worm. Here you go: https://parahumans.wordpress.com/catego ... tion/1-01/
Donzaffi

Post by Donzaffi »

Gilberreke wrote:Oh, and I quickly calculated the math: 102 enemies gets you to max level. That's not easy, that's trivially and utterly easy. Max level enchants now take less time than gathering the diamonds required for your sword.
Now I have a reason more not to play without mods...

Why always when good things are implemented there are so much stupid things implemented ?
I have read also that Mod API comes with version 1.4 and not with the next.
https://twitter.com/Dinnerbone/status/1 ... 7924757504
Consistency is the last refuge of the unimaginative

HIgh Res Texturepack ............43% done
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Donzaffi wrote: I have read also that Mod API comes with version 1.4 and not with the next.
https://twitter.com/Dinnerbone/status/1 ... 7924757504
That's old news man. It was announced about a month ago. 1.3 is *supposed* to be the client/server merger, with 1.4 being the first version of the mod API.