Zombie Shovels?

This forum is for anything that doesn't specifically have to do with Better Than Wolves
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Zombie Shovels?

Post by FlowerChild »

Been playing a little release-candidate MC. I just had an iron shovel drop from a zombie kill.

Is this news to anyone but me?
kaos78414

Re: Zombie Shovels?

Post by kaos78414 »

I think that's been in for awhile, I get them occasionally when I go out on my nightly romp through the woods.
Elevatator

Post by Elevatator »

It´s one of the "rare" mob drops. You can also get a iron pickaxe, or a helmet...

zombie= iron stuff.
skeleton= bows, maybe even with enchantments (low level)
zombiepigmen= gold ingot, gold sword and gold helmet
⠀⠀⠀⢀⣀⣠⣤⣤⣤⣶⣶⣶⣦⡀
⠀⠀⢠⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣦
⠀⢀⣾⣿⣿⠟⠉⠀⠀⠀⠀⠈⠻⣿⣿⣷⣄
⠀⣼⣿⣿⠏⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠘⣿⣿⣿⣧
⣰⣿⣿⣿⡀⠀⢀⣴⣾⠿⣵⣦⠀⠀⣿⣿⣿⠇
⠙⢿⣿⣿⣇⠀⠈⠛⠁⠀⠈⠁⠀⣠⣿⣿⡏
⠀⠀⠻⣿⣿⣷⣤⣀⣀⢀⣀⣠⣾⣿⣿⡿
⠀⠀⠀⠈⢻⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⡥⠤⠒⣢
⠀⠀⠀⠀⣀⣽⣿⣿⡿⠿⠿⠛⠉⠁⣀⣤⣶⠟⠁
⠀⠀⢴⣭⣥⣶⣾⣿⡇⠀⠀⠀⠀⢸⣿⣿⠁
⠀⠀⠀⠀⢀⣿⣿⣿⡷⠀⠀⠀⠀⢸⣿⣿⣧⡀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⢾⣿⣿⣿⣤⣤⣤⣤⣤⣼⣿⣿⣿⠇
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠁
8bitBob

Post by 8bitBob »

I believe zombies have been able to drop iron tools as a rare drop for a while now. With the Crucible it makes zombie xp farms double as iron farms.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Damn, I thought it was just armor that they dropped.
orangeweaver

Post by orangeweaver »

That was kind of news to me actually ... perhaps they changed it when they made the "rare" item drops less rare a month or so ago.

Sort of reminds me I have a zombie spawner inside my base that I've been using to farm mossy cobble but maybe I should turn it into a drop farm w/ a shut off.
BinoAl

Post by BinoAl »

Sarudak
Site Admin

Post by Sarudak »

It's kinda dumb...
orangeweaver

Post by orangeweaver »

Sarudak wrote:It's kinda dumb...
It is but I haven't found a village yet to be able to transport villagers for an iron golemn farm ... for whatever reason I have the worst luck with finding villages. I've been wanting to make my underground canal prison for some time but in my SP world have been boned on villages.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Thanks. I think I had only seen helmets before, so assumed that they dropped armor, seeing as how they aren't holding anything in their hands.

And yes, I can rant once again about this whole thing, but this small revelation doesn't really change much. Free iron is free iron.
BinoAl

Post by BinoAl »

FlowerChild wrote: And yes, I can rant once again about this whole thing, but this small revelation doesn't really change much. Free iron is free iron.
Yes, but free iron in the form of a pick is a bit worse. I think that they do drop every iron tool some percentage of the time. Iron bars have the potential to fuck up vMC progression, but iron picks are like the "Pass Go" card :p
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

BinoAl wrote: Yes, but free iron in the form of a pick is a bit worse. I think that they do drop every iron tool some percentage of the time. Iron bars have the potential to fuck up vMC progression, but iron picks are like the "Pass Go" card :p
Agreed, but from the wiki anyways it doesn't appear any mob drops picks.
BinoAl

Post by BinoAl »

FlowerChild wrote: Agreed, but from the wiki anyways it doesn't appear any mob drops picks.
Where did you end up finding the list? I scoured the wiki and couldn't find an actual list of drops
gftweek

Post by gftweek »

BinoAl wrote:
FlowerChild wrote: Agreed, but from the wiki anyways it doesn't appear any mob drops picks.
Where did you end up finding the list? I scoured the wiki and couldn't find an actual list of drops
It didn't look like the page had a complete list (didn't list shovels after all), the only thing I saw was icons for armour and weapons, but no tools.
jorgebonafe

Post by jorgebonafe »

gftweek wrote:It didn't look like the page had a complete list (didn't list shovels after all), the only thing I saw was icons for armour and weapons, but no tools.
I have a zombie farm in Edolas, and I got stacks and stacks of drops from it. I got all the items listed on the wiki, shovels, swords and helmets, never picks... So I think the list is probably acurate. I don't remember geting iron ingots though, but I might have.....
Better Than Wolves was borne of anal sex. True Story.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

BinoAl wrote: Where did you end up finding the list? I scoured the wiki and couldn't find an actual list of drops
Dude...with the link you provided. Scroll down to the chart :)
gftweek

Post by gftweek »

jorgebonafe wrote:
gftweek wrote:It didn't look like the page had a complete list (didn't list shovels after all), the only thing I saw was icons for armour and weapons, but no tools.
I have a zombie farm in Edolas, and I got stacks and stacks of drops from it. I got all the items listed on the wiki, shovels, swords and helmets, never picks... So I think the list is probably acurate. I don't remember geting iron ingots though, but I might have.....
Oh er, yeah there's the shovel, doh.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Another note on the pre-release...

I know it's been mentioned before, but man, big biomes are BIG :)
Splee999

Post by Splee999 »

Elevatator wrote:It´s one of the "rare" mob drops. You can also get a iron pickaxe, or a helmet...

zombie= iron stuff.
skeleton= bows, maybe even with enchantments (low level)
zombiepigmen= gold ingot, gold sword and gold helmet
Zombie Pigman can also drop enchanted stuff as well. I got a shiny enchanted golden sword off of one.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Oh wow! After all this time, I just had a novel moment of hate for wolves! I thought I had exhausted those :)

Navigating boat in shallow water. All happy lilly pads aren't wrecking it. Wolf teleports right in front of me. Boat breaks apart.

Classic :)
Thalarctia

Post by Thalarctia »

Ordinary zombies have shovels, iron ingots, iron helmets and iron swords as possible rare drops, none of them enchanted. Getting to 50 once with an xp farm will award at least 20 iron ingots worth of stuff, which can be increased loads if you use a looting enchanted weapon - Get a zombie spawner, and you wont really need an iron golem farm.
A skeleton xp farm is really annoying because you just get endless bows taking up space. The zombie pigmen can have golden helmets, bars and swords, with the swords actually having quite good enchantments.
Dry Paratroopa

Post by Dry Paratroopa »

Unfortunately, shovels are the single tool that use only a single ingot to craft, so the ones you're getting aren't a boost over ingots themselves when you inevitably melt down the spares you'll get. Here's hoping for more helmets!
Both the Colosseum of the past and the Hunger Games of the (supposed) future stem from the fact that life is simply a competition to see who can live the longest.
Sandrew

Post by Sandrew »

Thalarctia wrote:Ordinary zombies have shovels, iron ingots, iron helmets and iron swords as possible rare drops, none of them enchanted. Getting to 50 once with an xp farm will award at least 20 iron ingots worth of stuff, which can be increased loads if you use a looting enchanted weapon - Get a zombie spawner, and you wont really need an iron golem farm.
A skeleton xp farm is really annoying because you just get endless bows taking up space. The zombie pigmen can have golden helmets, bars and swords, with the swords actually having quite good enchantments.
I did the math once actually, provided you're using BTW and have a crucible to melt your stuff in you get a bar of iron per seventeen-point-something zombies killed. Extensive 'testing' seemed to back this ratio. Although it's still faster to mine or spelunk for iron, it's a nice little extra from idling while waiting for that xp farm to fill up all nicely.
embirrim

Post by embirrim »

FlowerChild wrote:Oh wow! After all this time, I just had a novel moment of hate for wolves! I thought I had exhausted those :)

Navigating boat in shallow water. All happy lilly pads aren't wrecking it. Wolf teleports right in front of me. Boat breaks apart.

Classic :)
Haha I laughed so har at this. Wouldn't it be even more funnier if it didn't happen with cats.
Urian

Post by Urian »

You need to discipline them better, as the saying goes: "Loose whips sink ships"
FlowerChild: Ice in deserts is a good idea