Vanilla Minecraft News Discussion

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
Flesh_Engine

Re: Morvelaira's MC News Compilation

Post by Flesh_Engine »

Well this is all rather dissapointing and simply bad.

I'll leave it at that.
"An engine of flesh can do that..." // "Man feed Machine. Machine feed Man..."
Battosay

Post by Battosay »

:/
Just :/
M!C

Post by M!C »

And there's another one:

http://www.mojang.com/2012/05/minecraft ... ot-12w21b/

Another snapshot, that is ...
We rarely do snapshot updates to fix bugs, but since 21a contained an annoying bug that made it hard to play single-player we decided to do one this week. There are still problems, but we’re getting there!

We added a new creative mode inventory screen, please let us know what you think (target @Dinnerbone or @EvilSeph)! We also updated the language files to correct the diamond/emerald mix-up in the language files (diamonds were previously called emerald in the code, which caused a lot of confusion when we added a real emerald item). We had to ban another translator for griefing… it’s astonishing how much work some people put into these things… :)
Magick_Miner

Post by Magick_Miner »

Just found these pictures, hopefully it is an actual bug. Although with the way things have been going it would not suprise me.

http://imgur.com/a/C6ivd
morvelaira

Post by morvelaira »

Magick_Miner wrote:Just found these pictures, hopefully it is an actual bug. Although with the way things have been going it would not suprise me.

http://imgur.com/a/C6ivd
ROFL. Use the threat of flaming Netherrack to extort emeralds from villagers. I think it's extremely likely this is a bug, but I found the concept more than adequately amusing.
She-who-bears the right of Prima Squee-ti
I make BTW videos! http://www.youtube.com/user/morvelaira
The kitten is traumatized by stupid. Please stop abusing the kitten.
Katalliaan

Post by Katalliaan »

Open in case of fire
Spoiler
Show
Not now stupid - in case of fire
Magick_Miner

Post by Magick_Miner »

Katalliaan wrote:That's not a bug, it's just jeb_ trolling.

http://twitter.com/jeb_/status/205904348746747904
jeb_ wrote:Trolling the Minecraft/reddit way: http://www.reddit.com/r/Minecraft/comme ... ew_friend/
http://twitter.com/jeb_/status/205904535741403136
jeb wrote:And people taking the bait! http://www.reddit.com/r/Minecraft/comme ... nd/c4s05h6

Is that a case of seeing a bug on reddit and saying haha i trolled you to save face....Maybe.

At least it will be removed, trading breaks the game too much anyway.
RezDev

Post by RezDev »

Hmm, not sure what to think about this newest snapshot.

I don't think I like it much, seems a bit unbalanced. Trading is OP, Ender Chests are probably OP, pointless ore is pointless, unless I can make emerald blocks for decoration...

I guess it's good news that even at the MCF there are others that think the same. Too bad they're being shouted down by all the kids who want MOAR POWER!!11!

And what is the deal with the 'survival inventory' button on the new creative inventory gui? Don't tell me they're going to allow cheating items to yourself directly from creative mode, I mean, what's the point of survival then?

I am confused as to the design philosophy that this game is taking at the moment. It just doesn't make a lot of sense to me.
Katalliaan

Post by Katalliaan »

I'm pretty sure the ability to open your "survival inventory" is simply because even in creative, you still have the 27 slots (and the armor slots) that aren't your hotbar. This just means that you can actually use those slots without having to use something else (a block, item, or entity) that opens your inventory for its specific purpose.
Open in case of fire
Spoiler
Show
Not now stupid - in case of fire
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Katalliaan wrote:I'm pretty sure the ability to open your "survival inventory" is simply because even in creative, you still have the 27 slots (and the armor slots) that aren't your hotbar. This just means that you can actually use those slots without having to use something else (a block, item, or entity) that opens your inventory for its specific purpose.
Yup, that's my impression as well. You could kinda access your inventory through crafting grids and such in survival, but you were always cut-off from armor and the 2X2 grid.
RezDev

Post by RezDev »

FlowerChild wrote:
Katalliaan wrote:I'm pretty sure the ability to open your "survival inventory" is simply because even in creative, you still have the 27 slots (and the armor slots) that aren't your hotbar. This just means that you can actually use those slots without having to use something else (a block, item, or entity) that opens your inventory for its specific purpose.
Yup, that's my impression as well. You could kinda access your inventory through crafting grids and such in survival, but you were always cut-off from armor and the 2X2 grid.
Ah, OK, I see now. Good, I was hoping my interpretation wasn't correct.
GeckoDragon

Post by GeckoDragon »

I was under the impression that gold and gold nuggets would be the currency with which to trade. Wasn't that the entire reasoning behind gold nuggets in the first place?

I guess I was mistaken.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

GeckoDragon wrote:I was under the impression that gold and gold nuggets would be the currency with which to trade. Wasn't that the entire reasoning behind gold nuggets in the first place?

I guess I was mistaken.
I think that was the point too, but he probably realized that was a mistake when the number of people creating Pig-men farms suddenly exploded.
GeckoDragon

Post by GeckoDragon »

FlowerChild wrote: I think that was the point too, but he probably realized that was a mistake when the number of people creating Pig-men farms suddenly exploded.
But you can still do that by selling off the gold nuggets from such farms in exchange for emeralds. I'm going to have to download the pre-release now and experiment with how much gold sells for.

If this !!SCIENCE!! turns out as I expect, they could just go back to using this and not have to edit worldgen again for the ore.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

GeckoDragon wrote: But you can still do that by selling off the gold nuggets from such farms in exchange for emeralds. I'm going to have to download the pre-release now and experiment with how much gold sells for.

If this !!SCIENCE!! turns out as I expect, they could just go back to using this and not have to edit worldgen again for the ore.
Too late man. Even if it's just a pre-release, the screams of "you wrecked my emerald house!" would be deafening.

Again..."populism".
GeckoDragon

Post by GeckoDragon »

Well my brief experiments have yeilded the somewhat perplexing result that bread is more expensive than gold.

Four loaves to one emerald compared to golds nine

63 gold netted me a diamond helmet or I can also get that same helmet for the bargain price of 28 loaves of bread.

Food in general, specifically cooked food, seems to command a higher price than any of the minerals. Cooked chicken is only slightly more expensive than gold, uncooked pork is slightly cheaper. However i've been unable to find a villager that trades in diamonds.

Are these random from village to village do you think? Making this some random fluke that just happens to favour food over anything else, and in another village glass is the commodity of choice. Or is it a consistant thing across every villager?
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

I think this might be the result of what I was saying about gold being farmable in an automated fashion. Bread is actually much more difficult to produce automatically in vanilla than gold is.

Either that, or it's based on a concept villager needs. Bread would be much more valuable to them than gold if you assume that they eat.
Stormweaver

Post by Stormweaver »

FlowerChild wrote:Either that, or it's based on a concept villager needs. Bread would be much more valuable to them than gold if you assume that they eat.
Given all the wood/logs that go into a village's construction, you'd think they'd be more than willing to spring for the extra gold - they'd have tons of apples after all.

Minecraft: Where gold is edible.
PatriotBob wrote:Damn it, I'm going to go eat pumpkin pie while I still think that it tastes good.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Stormweaver wrote: Given all the wood/logs that go into a village's construction, you'd think they'd be more than willing to spring for the extra gold - they'd have tons of apples after all.

Minecraft: Where gold is edible.
Maybe some concept of supply and demand on the wood?

I dunno man. I'm trying very hard here to justify some aspects of what is inherently a bad design decision :)

Anyways, for my own part, I'm reminded of this:
Spoiler
Show
GeckoDragon

Post by GeckoDragon »

FlowerChild wrote: Either that, or it's based on a concept villager needs. Bread would be much more valuable to them than gold if you assume that they eat.
That's what I was thinking, my other off the wall line of reasoning was that it might be to make all the different types of food worthwhile; but I wanted to do more testing first before mentioning it.

On the topic of that, it seems that processed goods are more expensive than raw or primary goods; rather than just cooked food specifically which obviously makes sense. Keep in mind that I could edit that point as i'm having difficulty finding villagers who will accept finished goods, they pretty much all just buy raw or barely processed materials.

It also seems to be skewed towards their profession. The librarians are mostly trading books, paper and bookshelves. The farmers are mostly trading in grown or processed foods. The blacksmith is straight off trying to buy iron (for a higher price than gold I might add.) The priests are trading in monster parts and xp bottles and of course the butchers are trading meat.

Better prices come from those who have the specific profession tied with what you're trying to sell. I have a priest who will buy paper at a higher rate than the farmer in the hole next to him. Just because someone is of a certain profession doesn't automatically mean that they won't trade in something but I presume certain things (like xp bottles) are witheld to a few jobs only.

EDIT: The whole jobs to specific trading objects has been proven by the minecraft wiki here
http://www.minecraftwiki.net/wiki/Trading#Farmer
Seems I was a little behind the times

DOUBLE EDIT: After reading that properly it does seem that villagers trade in gold ingots, just in a very roundabout way. Some will buy them even if it doesn't seem to tie in to their profession.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

There's already some good info on all this on the MC wiki man. You should really check that out. Much of what you're saying is already known:

http://www.minecraftwiki.net/wiki/Trading
GeckoDragon

Post by GeckoDragon »

FlowerChild wrote:There's already some good info on all this on the MC wiki man. You should really check that out. Much of what you're saying is already known:

http://www.minecraftwiki.net/wiki/Trading
Yeah I just realised after finishing up my experiments, I was getting all the information out of 25 villagers in a grid of holes in the ground.
Pulled up the wiki to help me work out which villagers were which and submitted the post before clicking on the trading link. Wish I had clicked on it earlier and saved the hassle of making a fool of myself.

Anyway, I guess it was fun whilst it lasted. Briefly forgot it was friday instead of thursday.
Dry Paratroopa

Post by Dry Paratroopa »

FlowerChild wrote:I think this might be the result of what I was saying about gold being farmable in an automated fashion. Bread is actually much more difficult to produce automatically in vanilla than gold is.
And wheat is one of the simplest auto-farms with Better Than Wolves, so I say this to the villagers: Suckers.

Although, those test results are rather shocking considering that I'm pretty sure all villages have at least one wheat farm, so they are in no shortage of food. Again: Suckers.
Both the Colosseum of the past and the Hunger Games of the (supposed) future stem from the fact that life is simply a competition to see who can live the longest.
Battosay

Post by Battosay »

Dry Paratroopa wrote:And wheat is one of the simplest auto-farms with Better Than Wolves, so I say this to the villagers: Suckers.
Say what ?!
That's the hardest thing to farm, the one that will take the most room, and the slowest.
Are you crazy ?
Even Hemp is a joke compared to wheat. Looks like you never really had to farm masive amount of wheat ;)
Poppycocks

Post by Poppycocks »

Battosay wrote:
Dry Paratroopa wrote:And wheat is one of the simplest auto-farms with Better Than Wolves, so I say this to the villagers: Suckers.
Say what ?!
That's the hardest thing to farm, the one that will take the most room, and the slowest.
Are you crazy ?
Even Hemp is a joke compared to wheat. Looks like you never really had to farm masive amount of wheat ;)
QFT, wheat is a bitch to farm on full auto.