I need a good meat source.

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
RaustBlackDragon

I need a good meat source.

Post by RaustBlackDragon »

For reasons that should be perfectly obvious to anybody who has talked to me before (and which need not be brought up at all in this topic), I've found myself with a very VERY large meat demand. It's starting to reach the point where it would be impossible to keep up with my meat needs without BTW, and so I need help setting up an ideal meat source. Pork, beef and chicken are all fine, but I need one that won't cause excessive lag (due to excess item buildup or excess animals), and requires minimal maintenance.

I'd like peoples' input on what my best option is in this regard. I'd really appreciate it, my chicken farm has just literally crashed and burned for the second time in a row. Fortunately, it crashed in such a way that I've got a ludicrous stockpile of chicken that should tide me over for a reasonable amount of time until I can get a good system going.

Any help is appreciated :)
What's the price of freedom now?
Can you cut me a deal?
A crate of wholesale liberty,
or a justice combo meal?
RaustBlackDragon

Re: I need a good meat source.

Also, just to give an idea, this is in the area of about 1 piece of chicken, pork or beef every 1.6 minutes.
Can you cut me a deal?
or a justice combo meal?
walker_boh_65

Post by walker_boh_65 »

are you against/cannot use(ing) zombie flesh?
RaustBlackDragon

walker_boh_65 wrote:are you against/cannot use(ing) zombie flesh?
It's possible, but it would be inconvenient in ways I won't detail here. I'd much much rather use regular meat.
Can you cut me a deal?
or a justice combo meal?
Deepsniper

Post by Deepsniper »

My chicken cooker I built works perfectly to be honnest and with 4 dogs of yours wandering around I always seem to have 5 stacks of cooked chicken in there with another 10 or so to spare... Its simple really just base it off the one on the dimensia world with a tweak here and there and it works perfectly...
RaustBlackDragon

Deepsniper wrote:My chicken cooker I built works perfectly to be honnest and with 4 dogs of yours wandering around I always seem to have 5 stacks of cooked chicken in there with another 10 or so to spare... Its simple really just base it off the one on the dimensia world with a tweak here and there and it works perfectly...
Yeah, I've been considering doing just that, my concern is that it might risk overflow. I'll check it out though. Any other suggestions?
Can you cut me a deal?
or a justice combo meal?
Deepsniper

Post by Deepsniper »

Worst case scenario if your running into overflow. Is to turn your food into backup storage for trips, expeditions, fun, nether stuff, stocking up for FC's crazy new plans or even just turning the entire cooker off...
Mr_Hosed

Post by Mr_Hosed »

If you look at the way I've got my item collection setup on my mob grinder in the "Show us your builds" thread then the likelyhood of overflow is greatly diminished. I've got 3 double chests + 6 hoppers worth of inventory before overflow occurs.

Truth be told, the Chicken farm is the easiest and most productive form of meat farming. All other forms require constant maintenance due to the shear size needed for a self-maintaining wheat farm + cow/pig farm of equivalent size.

Unfortunately the chicken farm does lag the shit out of my game so I tend to not build them in areas I'm going to be near on a regular basis.
Sarudak
Site Admin

Post by Sarudak »

Well cows are the most efficient as far as meat/entity...
MoRmEnGiL

Post by MoRmEnGiL »

You can setup an egg farm high in the sky so that it doesn't lag you due to sounds, then feed the eggs in a row of dispensers.
Hook a rapid pulsar to a day night detector, and have it fire once every morning, shooting the eggs and making chickens,which are contained in a chamber.
Then hook a BD rom to the day night detector, so that every night turns on for a couple of seconds the hibachis on that chambers floor, cooking the chicken. (all should be adults by night right?)

Then have water flush the meat in whatever storage you choose.
War..
War never changes.

Remember what the dormouse said
Dry Paratroopa

Post by Dry Paratroopa »

Make a wheat farm, and use it to create a breeding farm. Use cows, since they provide the ever-useful leather as well as meat. If you need to use the meat for non-eating purposes, the extra wheat can be made into bread and prevent item build-up.
Both the Colosseum of the past and the Hunger Games of the (supposed) future stem from the fact that life is simply a competition to see who can live the longest.
whitechaos35

Post by whitechaos35 »

Make a large area to breed cows in. Use extended sticky pistons to make the edges, so that the os in the following ascii art can be withdrawn.

oooooooo
oxxxxxxxxxo
oxxxxxxxxxo
oxxxxxxxxxo
oxxxxxxxxxo
oxxxxxxxxxo
oooooooo

Every 15+ minutes, retract the edges. Many cows will fall down and you can kill however you prefer to, but because there are so many cows, there will be plenty left. After the floor is extended again, dispense a lot of wheat. Repeat.

You never have to worry about killing babies, and it's very easy to automate. Some wheat may be wasted though.

Edit: Formatting..
Last edited by whitechaos35 on Sat Apr 21, 2012 4:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Husbag3

Post by Husbag3 »

If you use pistons to push them into a small space it will minimize the movement and reduce lag marginally. Putting a cauldron below to catch the items as soon as they drop will also reduce lag.
If the minecraft world is infinite, why does the sun still rotate around it?
SterlingRed

Post by SterlingRed »

My chicken farm produces meat every minute or so. It has two stages, the top stage has about 20-30 chickens. All adults. The eggs they lay get collected and evenly divided. 1/2 go to stoked stewing pot for tallow, other half go into the bottom stage. They go straight into a bd which is constantly fired by a turntable timer. Eggs get hatched, and when they become adults they can jump up 1 block in a corner and wander off through a vine trap into my saws. This room usually has about 10 or so chickens in it mixed babies and adults. You can always adjust how many chickens are in stage one to change how quickly you get meat/lag. It works quite well. If you need more meat than tallow, just split the eggs differently so more go to the bd than to cauldron.
Battosay

Post by Battosay »

RaustBlackDragon wrote:I need a good meat source.
I'm sorry, I can't help you here buddy.
However, if you know any Lady looking for a good meat source, they can call me.
RaustBlackDragon

Battosay wrote:
RaustBlackDragon wrote:I need a good meat source.
I'm sorry, I can't help you here buddy.
However, if you know any Lady looking for a good meat source, they can call me.
I very much like your new avatar, that I do :)
Can you cut me a deal?
or a justice combo meal?
Jay42
Location: Walking behind you; Sleeping besides you; Talking around you.

Post by Jay42 »

Personally, I set up a chicken farm like most here described. I can't think of anything more efficient.
Threw together a little video just in case...
Spoiler
Show
Stormweaver wrote:BTW: where the line between morality and immorality is a mile wide and has loops in some places.
Backups. Backups! BACKUPS!!
MoRmEnGiL

Post by MoRmEnGiL »

That's a nice design you got there, but I would prefer an automatic cooker setup myself, it is very easy to attach to the end of your system, and it removes the need to cook meat afterwards. Finished products ftw :P
War..
War never changes.

Remember what the dormouse said
Jay42
Location: Walking behind you; Sleeping besides you; Talking around you.

Post by Jay42 »

That figures. I was just too lazy to put a cauldron underneath... And I don't need that much food anyways, while my wolves get their stuff raw.
Stormweaver wrote:BTW: where the line between morality and immorality is a mile wide and has loops in some places.
Backups. Backups! BACKUPS!!