Kindred spirits on Project Zomboid

This forum is for anything that doesn't specifically have to do with Better Than Wolves
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Kindred spirits on Project Zomboid

Post by FlowerChild »

Interesting...I hadn't realized that these guys and me and so much in common. I find the comments the developer is making starting at 1 hour 4 minutes to almost totally echo my own sentiments on the matter:

http://allthingszomboid.com/?p=45
BinoAl

Re: Kindred spirits on Project Zomboid

Post by BinoAl »

I've always liked their views on game design. I haven't played Project Zomboid since the hard drive crash a while ago that they didn't have backed up.
Sarudak
Site Admin

Post by Sarudak »

Sounds like you're liking the game if you're listening to podcasts on it. Lol
kregoth

Post by kregoth »

I agree both the devs share similarities to you. I suggest following them on twitter @Lemmy101 @CaptianBinky. I think they tend to treat suggestions very similar to how you do on the forums. I think if you where able to chat with them you guys would never stop talking haha :P
FlowerChild wrote:My theory is that stupidity acts like an infectious organism on the net. Unless it's regularly pruned from your "garden", it will inevitably overwhelm it and kill off everything else.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Sarudak wrote:Sounds like you're liking the game if you're listening to podcasts on it. Lol
Yes, very much :)

Also though, as I've mentioned recently, I'm getting more and more serious about starting up my own indie development effort. As a result, I'm starting to pay a bit more attention to the current "leaders" in that area, and have been evaluating their various motivations and business models.
BinoAl

Post by BinoAl »

FlowerChild wrote: Also though, as I've mentioned recently, I'm getting more and more serious about starting up my own indie development effort. As a result, I'm starting to pay a bit more attention to the current "leaders" in that area, and have been evaluating their various motivations and business models.
I don't care what morv lays claim to, I hold the right of prima-squee here :)
morvelaira

Post by morvelaira »

BinoAl wrote:I don't care what morv lays claim to, I hold the right of prima-squee here :)
*mini death glare*

>.>
<.<

*squee!*
She-who-bears the right of Prima Squee-ti
I make BTW videos! http://www.youtube.com/user/morvelaira
The kitten is traumatized by stupid. Please stop abusing the kitten.
Sarudak
Site Admin

Post by Sarudak »

FlowerChild wrote:
Also though, as I've mentioned recently, I'm getting more and more serious about starting up my own indie development effort. As a result, I'm starting to pay a bit more attention to the current "leaders" in that area, and have been evaluating their various motivations and business models.
Glad to hear it. I look forward to the chance of playing said game if/when it comes to pass.
BinoAl

Post by BinoAl »

morvelaira wrote: *mini death glare*

>.>
<.<

*squee!*
*bigger death glare*

*roarsquee*
morvelaira

Post by morvelaira »

Bwahahah!
ok Bino. That is just rediculous. Rawrsquee indeed, lol.
Ulfengaard

Post by Ulfengaard »

FlowerChild wrote:Also though, as I've mentioned recently, I'm getting more and more serious about starting up my own indie development effort. As a result, I'm starting to pay a bit more attention to the current "leaders" in that area, and have been evaluating their various motivations and business models.
I would insta-buy any title you put out. Pre-order. I'd sign up for beta. Alpha. Concept artwork. Whatever.

To repurpose Toni Morrison's words: If there is a game you really want to play, and it hasn't been coded yet, then you must code it. If you decide to go ahead with the idea at some point, I'm sure you'll have the very best of wishes and support from the BTW community.
Awfulcopter wrote:...nothing says harmony with nature better than leaves that bleed. AMIRITE?
dawnraider wrote:I think we need to stop asking how stupid people can be. I think they're starting to take it as a challenge :)
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Hehe...all squees are appreciated :)

At the risk of a bit too much disclosure, working on this big release has a bit of an eye opener for me. It's kinda getting to the point now where I am basically making my own game. It's related to Minecraft, but as has become apparent as the months have gone by of development on BTW, my design goals, and Mojang's are becoming (or always have been but I failed to really see it beyond the "wolf" issue) increasingly different.

In many ways, this whole release is a big "ok, fuck this, I'm doing my own thing now", and as I've been developing it, it has of coursed raised the question "why am I not just breaking off from MC entirely?" on many occasions.

Frankly, I'm getting a little tired of adapting to MC's design changes, as I'm finding they're often running counter to my own ideas, and I'm often scrambling to accommodate them, being forced into the position of having to retread old ground to get everything working right, instead of moving forward. The technical problems and time requirements associated with updating the code to new releases is just one aspect of that, with having the design of the mod really be at the whims of an external entity being a much larger one.

So yeah, overall, starting my own indie game effort is something I've been spending a lot of time thinking about as of late.
Ulfengaard

Post by Ulfengaard »

FlowerChild wrote:...has become apparent as the months have gone by of development on BTW, my design goals, and Mojang's are becoming (or always have been but I failed to really see it beyond the "wolf" issue) increasingly different.

In many ways, this whole release is a big "ok, fuck this, I'm doing my own thing now", and as I've been developing it, it has of coursed raised the question "why am I not just breaking off from MC entirely?" on many occasions...
Epic. I've watched you put a tech tree together which makes more sense and feels more fulfilling than vMC. I've also talked to Rausty about his efforts in that regard in the very early-game (TTWTTTTT). It's all great stuff, and I would be super-excited to see what you do with your own crafting game.

No pressure, but definitely felt a shock of excitement when I read your post just now.
Awfulcopter wrote:...nothing says harmony with nature better than leaves that bleed. AMIRITE?
dawnraider wrote:I think we need to stop asking how stupid people can be. I think they're starting to take it as a challenge :)
kregoth

Post by kregoth »

FlowerChild wrote:
Sarudak wrote:Sounds like you're liking the game if you're listening to podcasts on it. Lol
Yes, very much :)

I highly suggest checking the arcengames devs, they are not as well known as other indie devs, but they are one of those few game designers that I highly respect.

Have you tried out Unity3d? I am seeing it used for indie game a lot more lately, plus having out of the box multi platform support is awesome :)

You can also rely on me to help with whatever you need, actually all of us here will :)
FlowerChild wrote:My theory is that stupidity acts like an infectious organism on the net. Unless it's regularly pruned from your "garden", it will inevitably overwhelm it and kill off everything else.
obl1terat1ion

Post by obl1terat1ion »

I think that all of us would buy any game with you behind the helm. :)
FlowerChild wrote:Can't make an omelet without blowing up a few chickens.
morvelaira

Post by morvelaira »

It sounds, like you've given this some very good thought. The main thing left is to make a decsion and move forward with it. You know you have my support, in whatever way I can give it to you.

And, as a side note, I love how my preferred expression of excitement seems to have been adopted by the boards enitre. Makes me feel special :)
Poppycocks

Post by Poppycocks »

I wanted to make a BTW shirt for myself ever since I really got into it, but people from the local green-peace type of organisation called "Wolf" would probably tan my hide if I did.

Please be more considerate when coming up with a name/logo for your company/game.

Best of luck with your efforts dude. You have my support if you decide to go for it. (Well, you do that even if you don't, but you know what I mean, right?)
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

kregoth wrote:You can also rely on me to help with whatever you need, actually all of us here will :)
Well, there's nothing set in stone yet. This is still very much at the conceptual planning stage, but I appreciate the sentiment :)

I also *really* need to start bringing in revenue with my development if I'm going to continue doing it in the long term. As was mentioned in the thread that lead to me receiving my first "donation" even buying games has become a problem for me, and while I don't normally discuss personal details, suffice it to say that I'm in fairly dire straights financially at the moment.

Anyways, everything seems to be coming to a head at once with this. Nothing has been decided, but it's fairly certain that I'm going to have to do *something* relatively soon.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Poppycocks wrote: Please be more considerate when coming up with a name/logo for your company/game.
Lol! Unlikely man. Controversy is kinda my thing, both with modding, and in RL. Obviously, none of you know me outside of here, but I'm the kinda guy that people either tend to love, or hate passionately for life, after a first encounter :)
Poppycocks

Post by Poppycocks »

FlowerChild wrote:I'm in fairly dire straights financially at the moment.
Ah, perfect!

A lifetime supply of ramen soup it is then...

:D
Dr. Kylstein

Post by Dr. Kylstein »

kregoth wrote: Have you tried out Unity3d? I am seeing it used for indie game a lot more lately, plus having out of the box multi platform support is awesome :)
No Linux support! Boo!
BinoAl

Post by BinoAl »

FlowerChild wrote: I also *really* need to start bringing in revenue with my development if I'm going to continue doing it in the long term. As was mentioned in the thread that lead to me receiving my first "donation" even buying games has become a problem for me, and while I don't normally discuss personal details, suffice it to say that I'm in fairly dire straights financially at the moment.

Anyways, everything seems to be coming to a head at once with this. Nothing has been decided, but it's fairly certain that I'm going to have to do *something* relatively soon.
Indie development normally has negligible startup cost, so opening up donations and possibly a kickstarter page could work wonders. Hell, I'd probably donate at least 50$ if you started accepting donations. btw has brought me more gametime than any other game in my life, save super metroid, super mario world, and tf2
Katalliaan

Post by Katalliaan »

Dr. Kylstein wrote:
kregoth wrote: Have you tried out Unity3d? I am seeing it used for indie game a lot more lately, plus having out of the box multi platform support is awesome :)
No Linux support! Boo!
IIRC, Unity has plans for Linux support, it's just not implemented yet.
Open in case of fire
Spoiler
Show
Not now stupid - in case of fire
Starshifterxen

Post by Starshifterxen »

A kickstarter page is a great idea: Let your large user base work for you for a change!

As per BinoAl I would happy donate to a game developed by you. I think its a great idea.

Also thanks, I had never heard of Project Zomboid and am just trying it out now...
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

BinoAl wrote: Indie development normally has negligible startup cost, so opening up donations and possibly a kickstarter page could work wonders. Hell, I'd probably donate at least 50$ if you started accepting donations. btw has brought me more gametime than any other game in my life, save super metroid, super mario world, and tf2
I REALLY appreciate that man, but it's all a matter of how many people would feel the same way.

I remember during the Technic fiasco, Albaka of IC was all happy because his donations hit 3-figures for the month. Now, I'm not certain of how many people play IC relative to BTW, but I suspect the numbers are at least somewhat comparable, and 100$ a month (on the best of months no less) is definitely not going to cut it for me :)

It's part of the reason I became disenchanted with the idea of donations a few months back when I started seriously looking into it. The amount of money we're talking about seems to be so small, that it hardly seems worth "selling out" the mod for.

What's also kinda sad is that given the player-base that BTW has, if every player donated just a few cents a month, I'd be able to live comfortably off of the money it generated and develop full-time indefinitely. I think the number of people that actually make donations is absolutely miniscule in comparison to the total number of players (like, fractions of a percent).