1.2.3 Update observations

This forum is for anything that doesn't specifically have to do with Better Than Wolves
FlowerChild
Site Admin

1.2.3 Update observations

Post by FlowerChild »

Not sure if this is known, but just noticed that baby animals (I think this only applies to sheep though), grow up faster if they eat grass.

Might be useful to know for sheep farming.

Will post anything else I find in the code while updating to this thread.
SgtChuckle

Re: 1.2.3 Update observations

Post by SgtChuckle »

Yess, that's pretty cool! I've always wanted to mitigate the long wait between animal birth and bloody slaughter and if it means giving them some grass to munch on instead of locking them in a small stone room, cool.
Poppycocks wrote:Suggesting to hack the logo on all sides is akin to suggesting someone to take a crap out of a window if he doesn't like his toilet seat.
Itamarcu

Post by Itamarcu »

That sounds...interesting.

On a completely different note, "Grass" in Hebrew also means "Cannabis", so children who become more mature by taking drugs seems alright to me. :)
You know what you should read? Worm. Here you go: https://parahumans.wordpress.com/catego ... tion/1-01/
embirrim

Post by embirrim »

I believe this was already in 1.1... Are you sure it wasn't?
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

embirrim wrote:I believe this was already in 1.1... Are you sure it wasn't?
It's possible. I only noticed it while going through some of the restructured AI code, so it may have been elsewhere before.

I've just never seen mention of it, so thought I'd pass it along.
RaustBlackDragon

Post by RaustBlackDragon »

I honestly don't understand why sheep breeding needs to be made any easier. You never have to kill sheep now that they regrow their wool, so making them the most easily-bred when they have no predators, not even the player, seems kinda excessive to me.
What's the price of freedom now?
Can you cut me a deal?
A crate of wholesale liberty,
or a justice combo meal?
gftweek

Post by gftweek »

RaustBlackDragon wrote:I honestly don't understand why sheep breeding needs to be made any easier. You never have to kill sheep now that they regrow their wool, so making them the most easily-bred when they have no predators, not even the player, seems kinda excessive to me.
I thought until now sheep were the only animal with a predator, although I suppose you get plenty of sheep spawning in places where wolves don't.

Do Cats/Ocelots hunt chickens?

I suppose Testificates are prey now too for the zombies.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

gftweek wrote: Do Cats/Ocelots hunt chickens?
Yup, they do.
Gargantuan_Penguin

Post by Gargantuan_Penguin »

I believe the ocelots are supposed to hunt chickens but I have never seen it happen.
:edit: ninja'd by flower
And HOW!
gftweek

Post by gftweek »

FlowerChild wrote:
gftweek wrote: Do Cats/Ocelots hunt chickens?
Yup, they do.
Ah cool, I've only seen one Ocelot so far, and was just wandering around with a wooden pickaxe at that stage so didn't stop to watch them. So far my closest Jungle doesn't seem to have any now that I finally have some fish.

Does anyone else find it odd that what wolves and ocelots hunt has no relationship to what you tame or feed them with? Oh and apparently cats can open doors?
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

gftweek wrote:Oh and apparently cats can open doors?
Cats can do anything they choose to. Most of the time, they just can't be bothered.
Stormweaver

Post by Stormweaver »

FlowerChild wrote:Most of the time, they just can't be bothered.
Though less out of laziness, and more out of knowing that sitting next to the door allows for the use of mind control on unsuspecting humans nearby - resulting in the door being opened without any hassle.
PatriotBob wrote:Damn it, I'm going to go eat pumpkin pie while I still think that it tastes good.
morvelaira

Post by morvelaira »

I've noticed they can open Iron doors as well... I don't know how the reach the button >.>
She-who-bears the right of Prima Squee-ti
I make BTW videos! http://www.youtube.com/user/morvelaira
The kitten is traumatized by stupid. Please stop abusing the kitten.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

morvelaira wrote:I've noticed they can open Iron doors as well... I don't know how the reach the button >.>
Telekinesis. Don't let them know that you know about it.

Kain Magin

Post by Kain Magin »

gftweek wrote:
FlowerChild wrote:Oh and apparently cats can open doors?

Yes... they can ^^

Edit:
Spoiler
Show
and

and
FlowerChild wrote:"Fuck me".
gftweek

Post by gftweek »

Kain Magin wrote:
gftweek wrote:
FlowerChild wrote:Oh and apparently cats can open doors?
Yes... they can ^^
Handles are easy, knobs are harder. My pussy knows just what to do with knobs. Err, what were we talking about again.
morvelaira

Post by morvelaira »

gftweek wrote:Handles are easy, knobs are harder. My pussy knows just what to do with knobs. Err, what were we talking about again.
Omg! It wasn't me this time!

>.>
<.<

I just want to say that I'm better.

*flees*
walker_boh_65

Post by walker_boh_65 »

morvelaira wrote:
gftweek wrote:Handles are easy, knobs are harder. My pussy knows just what to do with knobs. Err, what were we talking about again.

Omg! It wasn't me this time!
I'm proud of you. :)
Battosay

Post by Battosay »

Kain Magin wrote:

Yes... they can ^^
My cat does that too :)
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Here's a messed up little observation:

Ok, so a few versions ago, all the hard-coded values for the world height of 128 were removed and replaced by variables, making them rather easy to configure for mods that wanted to adjust the world height.

Well, it turns out, all the references to those variables have been switched back to hard-coded height values of 256.

Not only is this a huge 'wtf', but it also probably means that world height will not be made a player-option in the future (which I suspected it would be).

EDIT: I suspect this was for optimization purposes with the new map format. It does not bode well however for mods that alter the map height...they likely have a lot of work ahead of them.
RaustBlackDragon

Post by RaustBlackDragon »

FlowerChild wrote:Here's a messed up little observation:

Ok, so a few versions ago, all the hard-coded values for the world height of 128 were removed and replaced by variables, making them rather easy to configure for mods that wanted to adjust the world height.

Well, it turns out, all the references to those variables have been switched back to hard-coded height values of 256.

Not only is this a huge 'wtf', but it also probably means that world height will not be made a player-option in the future (which I suspected it would be).

EDIT: I suspect this was for optimization purposes with the new map format. It does not bode well however for mods that alter the map height...they likely have a lot of work ahead of them.
The code alterations in general don't strike me (or the person I've been in contact with) as being particularly modder-friendly. It's rather disappointing.
What's the price of freedom now?
Can you cut me a deal?
A crate of wholesale liberty,
or a justice combo meal?
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

RaustBlackDragon wrote:The code alterations in general don't strike me (or the person I've been in contact with) as being particularly modder-friendly. It's rather disappointing.
<Shrug> Nothing has bothered me so far about them.
Itamarcu

Post by Itamarcu »

I really hope they are trying to do something smart. I mean, I really hope they are doing something smart.

FlowerChild wrote:
morvelaira wrote:I've noticed they can open Iron doors as well... I don't know how the reach the button >.>
Telekinesis. Don't let them know that you know about it.

Have you ever seen the movie "Rubber"? It's about a car tire who can explode things with his own, uhh, "will".
You know what you should read? Worm. Here you go: https://parahumans.wordpress.com/catego ... tion/1-01/
morvelaira

Post by morvelaira »

itamarcu wrote:Have you ever seen the movie "Rubber"? It's about a car tire who can explode things with his own, uhh, "will".
Robert is so happy when the bunny dies, too. You can tell by the way he bounces. No reason.
badmojo98

Post by badmojo98 »

Rubber was a truly awesome movie. I might have to re-watch it now that you've reminded me :)

to stay on topic though, BIOME EDITORS ARE STARTING TO BE COMPLETED!!!! finally, i can build a map with rivers, deserts and forests all where i want them! =D
No one would say that what they were doing was complicated. It wouldn't even be considered new, except for maybe in the geological sense. They took from their surroundings what was needed and made of it something more.
- Primer