What's the one thing that "sold" you on BTW?

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
SgtChuckle

What's the one thing that "sold" you on BTW?

Post by SgtChuckle »

For me it was the Block Dispenser. The amount of uses for it are so vast, I still haven't stopped coming up with new ones. Then, when I saw how much else there was in the mod and the excellent tech tree progression, I downloaded it immediately. So what made you fall in love with BTW?
Poppycocks wrote:Suggesting to hack the logo on all sides is akin to suggesting someone to take a crap out of a window if he doesn't like his toilet seat.
Gargantuan_Penguin

Re: What's the one thing that "sold" you on BTW?

Post by Gargantuan_Penguin »

the thing that sold me was the smooth transition from vmc. basically how well it fits. I had tried mods like ic and bc but it never stuck, and then I found BTW. best day of my life.
And HOW!
Robilar

Post by Robilar »

I remember noticing the thread title on the MCF and curiosity caused me to investigate. As I read through the OP I was going "How the Eff did he even pull this off?!". Given I was so used to "Moar Ores!" And "Moar creatures!" I hadn't really fathomed an actual good tech mod.

Installed it. Dropped every other mod I had installed. Never looked back. ('Cept Buildcraft, so I could retrofit my house more easily)

This was back in MC 1.5, so I have had many more head-splosion moments since then.

Edit for below: I think that was the one thing that made my head explode the most. I opened it up and couldn't believe something in Minecraft that wasn't a creature was *moving*
Last edited by Robilar on Sun Feb 26, 2012 5:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FlowerChild wrote:FUCK MAN! WHAT WE GOING TO DO NOW! WE'RE IN SOME REALLY PRETTY SHIT!!!

<dakka dakka>
Battlecat

Post by Battlecat »

Honestly it was the first video of the waterwheel that I saw. It was so beautifully animated, and so different from anything else I'd seen in minecraft, I had to try the mod.

Haven't regretted it in the slightest!
Stormweaver

Post by Stormweaver »

The thing that sold me? Watching FC have fun beating away yogaboos with a stick.

^.^
PatriotBob wrote:Damn it, I'm going to go eat pumpkin pie while I still think that it tastes good.
morvelaira

Post by morvelaira »

It depends on what you count as sold, but...

I first installed the mod because of the companion cube and the saw. >.>

I stayed for the FlowerChild, and his garden? I dunno. I suck at sounding profound at the moment.
She-who-bears the right of Prima Squee-ti
I make BTW videos! http://www.youtube.com/user/morvelaira
The kitten is traumatized by stupid. Please stop abusing the kitten.
Sandrew

Post by Sandrew »

The tech-tree. I never really liked those large game-changing mods like IC, BC and whatnot as they didn't fit the feel of minecraft and had all weird kinds of overpowered gimicks. The BTW tech-tree seemed very reasonable, and well thought out with proper progression. It gave you a goal to work towards that was somehow more meaningful than "go to the End and kill the dragon."
Gargantuan_Penguin

Post by Gargantuan_Penguin »

morvelaira wrote:It depends on what you count as sold, but...

I first installed the mod because of the companion cube and the saw. >.>

I stayed for the FlowerChild, and his garden? I dunno. I suck at sounding profound at the moment.
came for the blood, stayed for the zen?
And HOW!
Robilar

Post by Robilar »

morvelaira wrote:I stayed for the FlowerChild, and his garden? I dunno. I suck at sounding profound at the moment.
Veni Vidi Veni.

I came, I saw, I came.
Last edited by Robilar on Sun Feb 26, 2012 5:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FlowerChild wrote:FUCK MAN! WHAT WE GOING TO DO NOW! WE'RE IN SOME REALLY PRETTY SHIT!!!

<dakka dakka>
Poppycocks

Post by Poppycocks »

The challenge of it mostly.

I loved red power. Still do actually. But while it gave me great means to tackle challenges, it fell very short of supplying me with fun challenges to tackle. (And went too far in certain areas)

BTW is a great mod. It's fun, it's fitting, it's well made. No single one block did it for me. It's just a fun experience for me over all.
Katalliaan

Post by Katalliaan »

I'll be honest, I found the mod from when the Yogscast first looked at it. I took the time to look into the mod to see what it was actually about, as I could tell that they didn't bother to take the time to explore it fully and properly (you never approach a tech mod by using TMI). I could tell that the items were designed to blend seamlessly into the vanilla game, and I started using it.
Open in case of fire
Spoiler
Show
Not now stupid - in case of fire
Urian

Post by Urian »

What got me interested in the first place was Block dispensers, I was looking for something to make an instant stair case in my house. (It was 1.24 or 1.25 I think) After that I noticed that light blocks could be used to make an easy toggle for my mob farm. After that I started experimenting with more features as they were added and I still haven't stopped doing so :p
FlowerChild: Ice in deserts is a good idea
destineternel

Post by destineternel »

After playing ic/bc/rp2/ee combo and realizing that so many aspects make them overpowered and sometimes it feels like cheating. I stumbled on battosay's videos and was intrigued. I just love the tech tree and how you have to progress through it. It's a lot more challenging especially with HCB. It's just a better fit for minecraft. IMHO it is the most well thought out mod I've played yet and will not go back to the other ones.

ps. also Flowerchild's tells it like it is attitude.
<DaveYanakov> I know I overuse them and put them in inappropriate places but they just feel so good.
<icynewyear> shit is delicious
<MagikEh> Don't try to give me da D
Miss_Kat

Post by Miss_Kat »

I can't really remember anymore... I think it might've been the cauldron and being able to cook a bunch of food at once.

I'm pretty much the most boring BTW player.
Zhil

Post by Zhil »

I think that it might have been the mechanical power system actually. Let's say that the hibachi made me try it out, the mechanical power system is what made me keep it (BTW was my first mod that I even tried out).
Come join us at Vioki's Discord! discord.gg/fhMK5kx
M!C

Post by M!C »

Well, for me it was more or less this community. I stumbled upon the mod just when these forums were opened, lurked for quite a while (1.5 months I think), then tried the mod and made my account here. If I remember correctly I actually had plans for every block the mod had back then but didn't even know how to install it yet ... ;)
Starshifterxen

Post by Starshifterxen »

I came for the S&M (and the windmills)

I stayed for the overall ethos behind the mod.
whitechaos35

Post by whitechaos35 »

The Detector Block, Block Dispenser, and eventually the Buddy Block. I've always liked automating in Minecraft, and BTW moves that pursuit from glitches to actual mechanics.
walker_boh_65

Post by walker_boh_65 »

What "sold" me on BTW? God, it would have to be the detector block, but most of all its ability to "see" arrows. That's what got me looking at my first mod (or first actual mod), but what has kept me is the development from a little (relatively speaking) mod, to what is has grown to become, which is a mod that I have willfully lost so many hours to, so thanks for that FC. :)
PatrickSJ

Post by PatrickSJ »

Waterwheels powering devices.
ada221

Post by ada221 »

*braces for impact of hatred*

for me it was the yogscast that got me hooked. I watched every video they had and loved thier mod spotlights, but never the mods themselves until i saw them do BTW. they made fun of it and all with the "secret underground hemp farm" and cheating elevators but the content of the mod peaked my intrest.

when i first saw them show the mod i thought (having nearly no computer experience, possibly even scared of delving into computer's files and such at the time) HOW DO I GET THIS? i tried for three hours to get the mod installed and then learned one vital bit of information: you need to unzip the file... so i got 7zip and ran better than wolves.

I was hooked from the begenning. a multitude of things peaked my intrest: the mechanical power, the comical animal "farming", and most of all the fact that it blended so well with vanilla minecraft.

this mod actually began my love for how computers work. First (in minecraft) i began building with redstone, forst simple door opening mechanisims, then locks, then finally fully programmable display systems and RAM. by the end of the summer i was loving it all and joined up in a computer science class and began learning java (by coencidence). BTW sparked my intrest in a field that can really bring me somwhere while also bringing a great addition to my recreational gaming activities.

theres my little splurge, for more info see my signature, it explains it all.
-I stopped playing Minecraft a long time ago; BTW is its own game to me

-even after these forums are gone, as long as I have the files, I will continue to play Better than Wolves
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Wow. Thanks guys. If this is what I can come back to, I should leave the forum unattended for a day while I play Dwarf Fortress more often :)
blithen

Post by blithen »

Came for the cauldron, stayed for Flowerchild's wit and hilarity for the most part.
Also the lens<3 I've wanted this thing ever since he hinted at it.
Add me on MSN Messenger, we can chat about our feelings and coffee and minecraft.
obl1terat1ion

Post by obl1terat1ion »

Well i first saw it when i was a yogaboo (i still gag thinking about it). the main thing was the mechanical power (i was a BIG IC fan back then). Then i saw the red stone involvement and stopped for 3 months, and then i found batto and the rest is history.
FlowerChild wrote:Can't make an omelet without blowing up a few chickens.
Pentagram

Post by Pentagram »

Battosay's Ass

(See below)
walker_boh_65 wrote:And, update 4-20? So that means hemp is now smokable, right? :P