What are you doing with the lens?

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
kregoth

Re: What are you doing with the lens?

Post by kregoth »

I highly suggest using Dxtory it's the best capture program I ever used. It can also be used to livestream when used with Xsplit.
FlowerChild wrote:My theory is that stupidity acts like an infectious organism on the net. Unless it's regularly pruned from your "garden", it will inevitably overwhelm it and kill off everything else.
CreeperCommando

Post by CreeperCommando »

Had an ambitious project in creative mode, well until the redstone bugs became glaring (thanks Katalliaan, FC and Stormweaver for quick problem analysis).

Tried building a combi-lock system using lenses as much as possible.
Circuitry was supposed to be able to read 4 numbers dialed in specific order, Corrcely display it's state, if correct number was dialed and a universal rest button was supposed to clear the system straight to square one. Though bugs + improvisations + building without paper and pen made it a bit messy.....

Warning, spoilers are extremely pic heavy:
Spoiler
Show
By doctoramnesia at 2012-02-14

Spoiler
Show

Btw, if you can figure out the code for the lock AND what the code represents you win at life, your very own universe and everything else ;)

Edit: sorry for potential derail of thread, but one was extremely close with only one number wrong (and possible order). Btw there is a clue somewhere in my text ;)
(I´m starting to understand why FC loves tormenting us, the rush...)
Last edited by CreeperCommando on Wed Feb 15, 2012 5:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ribky wrote:Right into the hibachi? Damn man, God hates your windmill more than he hates the uncircumcised.
FC wrote:"You have defeated zrog the mighty! Have a potato."
FC wrote: "Does Dung Float?"
akantorJojo

Post by akantorJojo »

so i finaly get to work a video of my "display"...

it´s still not finished... but you can have a look on what it is... a better video will follow in some days...

thx now it works... it´s easyer than it seams ;D
Spoiler
Show
Last edited by akantorJojo on Tue Feb 14, 2012 5:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.
SilvasRuin

Post by SilvasRuin »

@CreeperCommando 8675, and if it were a 7 digit number and allowed for zeros, I'd expect 309

Edit: Or wait, crap, is that a nine rather than an eight? If so, I'm at a loss.
Jay42
Location: Walking behind you; Sleeping besides you; Talking around you.

Post by Jay42 »

CreeperCommando wrote:Btw, if you can figure out the code for the lock AND what the code represents you win at life, your very own universe and everything else ;)
The code is 4591 and 4.5.1991 is an important birthday. (more guessed than figured, but it'd just fit)

As for lens projects, I haven't done much yet. Primary use so far is vertical redstone transmission. Dynamically lighting a place is also something intersting.
akantorJojo wrote: this doesn´t work so pls tell me why and I will change it... as you maybe se it´s my first time doint that ;D
Spoiler
Show
Doesn't work, because you only need to insert the part after "v=" (but before the next "&", if any), so in your case "1PuwGfl5va0":

Code: Select all

[youtube]1PuwGfl5va0[/youtube]
results in
Stormweaver wrote:BTW: where the line between morality and immorality is a mile wide and has loops in some places.
Backups. Backups! BACKUPS!!
akantorJojo

Post by akantorJojo »

A new video is up...
Spoiler
Show
i currently have not much time to finish my display... but I will upload some more videos abouth it and how it is buid soon if someone is interested in this...?!
ada221

Post by ada221 »

one thing i like about the lens is how when using it with a pulley system you can make a floating island base thats is totally disconected from the ground and still be able to access it
-I stopped playing Minecraft a long time ago; BTW is its own game to me

-even after these forums are gone, as long as I have the files, I will continue to play Better than Wolves
OneTripleZero

Post by OneTripleZero »

ada221 wrote:one thing i like about the lens is how when using it with a pulley system you can make a floating island base thats is totally disconected from the ground and still be able to access it
Exactly what I plan to do to mine. I've currently got an arrow-triggered switch that lowers it, but having a lever on the ground would be much classier.
Be ashamed to die until you have won some victory for Humanity - Horace Mann
LordHumungus

Post by LordHumungus »

Nothing fancy yet. Just reminding my roommate he's in denial
Spoiler
Show
SoniEx2

Post by SoniEx2 »

For me, lens are the WirelessRedstone mod without the WirelessRedstone mod :)
Spoiler
Show
I'm using this for a floating base with a pulley system and the base is totally disconnected from the ground.
TheHoboHunted

Post by TheHoboHunted »

Fraps all the way.

And honestly, these Lenses make for wonderful Spot Lighting for those especially large dark areas. =D
Spoiler
Show
FlowerChild wrote:Hehe...when have any of my additions to the game been innocent? :)
TheAnarchitect

Post by TheAnarchitect »

I use it mining.

Put a light source and a lens at the entrance to a long horizontal mining run. I get spot lighting for as far as the lens projects without having to place torches. Then I fill back with cobble as I go and move the lens to the next row. It's as close as I can get to just having a mining helmet with a light source.
The infinitely extendable Pottery system
Real Life is an Anarchy Server.
DaveYanakov

Post by DaveYanakov »

TheHoboHunted wrote:Fraps all the way.

And honestly, these Lenses make for wonderful Spot Lighting for those especially large dark areas. =D
Spoiler
Show
That is the number one reason I was waiting with such eager anticipation for these things. The ability to have large rooms where the floor wasn't made of lighting.

I've used it for mining as well but ran into a problem where a creeper spawned back at the start of the branch and blocked the light. Then a skeleton spawned in a little bit closer to me... Now I only use lenses for vertical shafts and pop torches in as usual for the branches.
Better is the enemy of Good
Husbag3

Post by Husbag3 »

I'm currently working on converting my clock into lenses so that I can project it onto a screen of 1 block thickness. It's harder than it might sound as I have to completely reverse the modules and it really gets you in a muddle. I'll post some screenshots when I'm finished.
If the minecraft world is infinite, why does the sun still rotate around it?
Husbag3

Post by Husbag3 »

Well, after a short while of tedious tinkering, I have finally made it.

The "screen" that it's projected onto is one block thick
Spoiler
Show
The output of the memory tapes are connected to light blocks that are connected to lenses
Spoiler
Show
The carry out from the memory tape goes from right to left as oppose to the other way as the display is reversed
Spoiler
Show
I chose to do this because I thought it would be really cool to have a clock in the middle of a large room without any exposed wire. It would be really neat if we had a block that the lens could shine through but the player could not see through so that I could hide it away completely.
orangeweaver

Post by orangeweaver »

@Husbag ... I'm having an issue w/ the second and third image.

Some pretty cool ideas being mentioned. I'm trying to figure out what I want to do w/ the lens. I think lighting in the floor from above is a simple and effective idea I might try and use, I don't think I would have thought about that for some reason hah.
Husbag3

Post by Husbag3 »

What sort of problems are you having with them? Are they technical problems are are you just not understanding the image?
I was inspired to use lenses for the display from this thread.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Very cool stuff you guys are posting. Very much enjoying this thread :)

Personally, I find it tough to come up with project-ideas based around the Lens. I tend to look at it more as a tool to facilitate certain kinds of projects rather than something that would inspire them in and of itself.

I think it's therefore the kind of slow-burn feature that we'll see used more and more as time goes by, even if many are scratching their heads at present as to what to do with it ;)
orangeweaver

Post by orangeweaver »

Husbag3 wrote:What sort of problems are you having with them? Are they technical problems are are you just not understanding the image?
I was inspired to use lenses for the display from this thread.
I was unable to see the image. It is appearing fine now though :)
Husbag3

Post by Husbag3 »

That seems to be a re-occurring thing with BTW, the blocks seem to develop more uses as the tech level progresses.
TheHoboHunted

Post by TheHoboHunted »

Husbag3 wrote:Well, after a short while of tedious tinkering, I have finally made it.

The "screen" that it's projected onto is one block thick
Spoiler
Show
The output of the memory tapes are connected to light blocks that are connected to lenses
Spoiler
Show
The carry out from the memory tape goes from right to left as oppose to the other way as the display is reversed
Spoiler
Show
I chose to do this because I thought it would be really cool to have a clock in the middle of a large room without any exposed wire. It would be really neat if we had a block that the lens could shine through but the player could not see through so that I could hide it away completely.
So... Beautifully... Compact... *wipes away tear*

I love this mod.
FlowerChild wrote:Hehe...when have any of my additions to the game been innocent? :)
Husbag3

Post by Husbag3 »

How flattering, I'm glad you liked it!
DaveYanakov

Post by DaveYanakov »

That is a truly elegant design, Husbag. As far as hiding it away completely, I doubt that it would ever be possible to make a block that can exist at the same time with...

Unless there was a sort of block that maintained opacity but would project a beam of its own when receiving a lens input...

Ug, back on track. What I first thought of for hiding the clock itself would be to suspend your projection screen from a ceiling and then recess the clock back far enough that it couldn't be seen from the ground. You could also build a second clock on the opposite side to have a display that could be seen from anywhere in that room.

edit- Sorry, brain feels like it's on cruse control in a heavy rain, lots of skidding around. I made a diagram of what I was thinking though.
Spoiler
Show
Better is the enemy of Good
TheHoboHunted

Post by TheHoboHunted »

DaveYanakov wrote:Unless there was a sort of block that maintained opacity but would project a beam of its own when receiving a lens input...

Ug, back on track. What I first thought of for hiding the clock itself would be to suspend your projection screen from a ceiling and then recess the clock back far enough that it couldn't be seen from the ground. You could also build a second clock on the opposite side to have a display that could be seen from anywhere in that room.

edit- Sorry, brain feels like it's on cruse control in a heavy rain, lots of skidding around. I made a diagram of what I was thinking though.
Spoiler
Show
Your diagram = Exactly what I envisioned while reading your idea. You must have all-wheel drive.
Katalliaan

Post by Katalliaan »

I made a prototype of a vertical adder design I had in mind. However, since it is a prototype, it only works in binary (didn't bother to rig up number pads or 7-segment displays).
Spoiler
Show
The front panel:

The inner workings:
Unfortunately, I misunderstood the way the lens and DB interact, so most calculations won't work (For example, this thinks 0001 + 0001 = 0011 and 0000 + 0100 = 0111). I thought that a DB is only triggered when a lens shines light directly into its "face", but not past it. A minor mistake with a simple fix.

While probably not very noticeable with only 4 bits, it'll run faster than if you were using torch stack methods for vertical transmission - going up, the updates are lever, light block, lens, detector block, redstone, compared to lever, torch, torch, torch, torch (etc), redstone.
Open in case of fire
Spoiler
Show
Not now stupid - in case of fire