New Release! (BTW V3.50)

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
The great randomo

Re: New Release! (BTW V3.50)

Post by The great randomo »

Wow, this certainly is worth the '.5'!
As soon as BTB is updated, I'll be right in there, making displays.
One thing that I really hopes works with the lens is the little blocks mod. If it does, (which I doubt it will), I will be making some really awesome displays with it!
Chris Martin wrote:The morning is for sleeping.
BinoAl

Post by BinoAl »

The great randomo wrote: One thing that I really hopes works with the lens is the little blocks mod. If it does, (which I doubt it will), I will be making some really awesome displays with it!
Hah. As awesome as that would be... There's no way in hell. xD
morvelaira

Post by morvelaira »

FlowerChild wrote:
morvelaira wrote: Forgive me if I am not remembering things correctly, but I seem to remember a release... this past summer I think, where you specifically a 'spin up time' to the saw with the intention that people would move on to sources of constant mechanical power. If I'm not mistaken, what changed?

Not that I'm complaining mind you - it just makes me wonder about the way you look at things at different points in time.
Just realized I had forgotten to respond to this last night:

The two are actually unrelated Morv. All this does is change the directions that mechanical devices can be powered from using a Hand Crank, not which devices can be powered by it.

Before, you could only place it to the sides, now you can place it directly on top of the device as well.
Thanks for the reply. I was going back and forth trying to figure out if I should poke about it again or not ;) And that makes more sense - and is highly happy making for me.
She-who-bears the right of Prima Squee-ti
I make BTW videos! http://www.youtube.com/user/morvelaira
The kitten is traumatized by stupid. Please stop abusing the kitten.
Blueblade11

Post by Blueblade11 »

The great randomo wrote: One thing that I really hopes works with the lens is the little blocks mod. If it does, (which I doubt it will), I will be making some really awesome displays with it!
But...little blocks + BTW = texture stuffup...
255 Characters Limit? D:
http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/941586- viewtopic.php?f=11&t=3117
I don't want to go back to MCF! Even if I do stupid things here 90% of the time!
Elensaar

Post by Elensaar »

Great update as always, FC. I'm constantly amazed at the amount if time and care you put into this mod. And to finally have the lens. Wow. This will be awesome! Excited to try this out once I get back to my computer. Probably won't have time to play with this properly until Tuesday though. :-P
Lots of planets have a north...!
akantorJojo

Post by akantorJojo »

damm i´m so silly... didn´t se my post one page before... was doing some other thing the same time... therefore i will change this...

so I played around a bit with the lense in the last minutes and there is one thing that I dont like... and a smal bug:
the bug:
place 2 lences in the following order... power the first and then put down a block inbetween both lenses:
LightBlockPowerd.L1->___B___L2->___________S
u will see, that the S-block is still lit ... this can be resolved by walking "into" the "light beam" which shold not exist anymore ;D...
hope u understand what I mean...

and another thing thing... maybe it is possible to add some new block calles "mirror" that reflect the "light beam" in an angle of 90° ... but this can also be done with some redstone devices... just think about this... think i should post this in another thread if that was not alredy done by someone else some time before...
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

akantorJojo wrote:and another thing thing... maybe it is possible to add some new block calles "mirror" that reflect the "light beam" in an angle of 90° ... but this can also be done with some redstone devices... just think about this... think i should post this in another thread if that was not alredy done by someone else some time before...
What you're talking about can already be done with a simple 3-block setup:
Spoiler
Show
Is it really worth an additional block ID just to compact that down to 1 block?

Also, you're talking about adding 45 degree angles to a game that doesn't feature anything at all like that visually, never mind opening up a big can of worms in people expecting other behaviors out of mirrors, such as being able to see reflections in them.

I'd really recommend taking some time to play around with a feature, especially for more than just the few minutes you mention, before making suggestions for it.

As for your bug, I can't understand what you are trying to say. Although I suspect it's just something that's already been reported in the Bug Reports section.
Catox

Post by Catox »

Actualy FC, you can do it this much simplier way :
Spoiler
Show
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Catox wrote:Actualy FC, you can do it this much simplier way :
Spoiler
Show
That too :)

EDIT: I don't really like that one though. It's an unanticipated side-effect that I may disable in a future release. I'm cool with beams going directly into a Lens acting as a relay, but having another one powered off the light that bounces off a surface upsets my inner physicist :)
Catox

Post by Catox »

I personally like those side effects ^^

Are those other ways to do the same thing side effects too ?
Spoiler
Show

Xekrom337

Post by Xekrom337 »

FlowerChild wrote: -Changed the Crucible so that overheating combustible ingredients within it will have the same unfortunate consequences as with the Cauldron.

-Removed ability to convert Urns to Soul Urns within the Hopper inventory. Now, the Urn MUST be placed beneath the Hopper in order to do this. This is to avoid confusion with what is essentially duplicate functionality that was causing people to not even realize the process could be automated. It also serves to encourage automation of the simplest portion of the overall process of creating Soul Urns which will hopefully lead to players deciding to undertake other aspects of it as well.
what combustible things could you put in a crucible in the first place? i thought it only worked while stoked?

and i never knew you could put an urn inside a hopper to fill it with souls...
</facepalm>
Starshifterxen

Post by Starshifterxen »

Xekrom337 wrote: and i never knew you could put an urn inside a hopper to fill it with souls...
</facepalm>
At least you don't have to un-learn anything :P
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Catox wrote:I personally like those side effects ^^

Are those other ways to do the same thing side effects too ?
I consider them bugs, and yes, they will be removed.
elustran

Post by elustran »

FlowerChild wrote:I'm cool with beams going directly into a Lens acting as a relay, but having another one powered off the light that bounces off a surface upsets my inner physicist :)
Yes, on the other hand, this is already a game where water is capable of multiplying its volume, light travels around corners, and monsters spontaneously appear. Minecraft has physics. It's just not quite Earth physics.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

elustran wrote: Yes, on the other hand, this is already a game where water is capable of multiplying its volume, light travels around corners, and monsters spontaneously appear. Minecraft has physics. It's just not quite Earth physics.
Sure, I'm just not comfortable with this particular application. Again, it was not intended and will be fixed. It's really not open to debate.
elustran

Post by elustran »

FlowerChild wrote:Sure, I'm just not comfortable with this particular application. Again, it was not intended and will be fixed. It's really not open to debate.
Sorry, wasn't debating, just forgot to finish my thought... was something along the lines of Minecraft physics giving our collective inner physicists an aneurysm =)
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

elustran wrote: Sorry, wasn't debating, just forgot to finish my thought... was something along the lines of Minecraft physics giving our collective inner physicists an aneurysm =)
Well, I'm cool with that, not so much with my own code doing it though ;)
Catox

Post by Catox »

ow, too bad ^^

This 'feature' allowed nice compact 'beam multipliers' like this :
Spoiler
Show
I know you said this wasn't really (or really wasn't) open to debate but just to share how I felt it, I thought it was really okay, even 'scientifically'.
When the ray hits a surface, the concentrated light splashes on it and emits a strong light level. As strong as a light bloc, actually. Thus, any lens placed next to this light source would do it's job, absorb the light and create a new beam.

That's not complete, of course, since 'scientifically' there should be some losses, but that's true for mechanical power too, so I guess it's not the problem.

I'd suppose the real problem would be the cheap nature of these redirection/multiplication potentialities...

Well, too bad
I'll have to re-learn those lenses, then... But I can tell you lighting up a whole 18x18 room with one light bloc, no redstone and multiple chained lenses was a nice thing to do ^__^;
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Catox wrote: I know you said this wasn't really (or really wasn't) open to debate but just to share how I felt it, I thought it was really okay, even 'scientifically'.
When the ray hits a surface, the concentrated light splashes on it and emits a strong light level. As strong as a light bloc, actually. Thus, any lens placed next to this light source would do it's job, absorb the light and create a new beam.
Don't start. I was a physics major.

As I've mentioned many times, I'm not a fan of realism in game design. However, there are times when something just feels so wrong that I am not at all comfortable with it. It's the point at which I feel suspension of disbelief is adversely affected. There are also times when things become so easy to do that it negatively affects game balance. This is one such instance.

It may have been convenient, but again...not intended.
Catox

Post by Catox »

I believe you misunderstood me :/

My explanation of why I felt this behavior to be right was based on my observation of what happens in the game and only in the game.
If I'd have to tell what's right or wrong in your lens behavior based on, hum, 'real physics', I'd first look at the way a concentrated light projected on a wall produce as much light on said wall as if a lamp was put on its side. That would feel pretty wrong to me. And I don't need to be a physics major to see that.

Now I think I understand the difficulty (impossibility ?) it would represent to try and have a lazer light not splash on the very wall it's pointed at, but only on the other objects and surfaces around it. So you have to 'compromise' and use a bloc that will emit light all around.

That's minecraft physics. If you consider those based on real life physics, you will end up with incoherences, starting with this laser emitting light in a bloc rather than a surface.

So what can we do ? Analyse what we see and decide if it's coherent or not.

Experiment :
- point a lens to a big wall, check the size of the emitted light
- place a light bloc on the wall where previous light hit it, switch it on, switch lens off, check light size again.
Result : same size.
Based from this observation, we can try to put a lens on this new light sources side to see if it will transmit light the same way in both cases. It would be logic and coherent to do so (not realistic, that's not the point)

Now you don't wan't this to happen. You can :
- say "I don't wan't this to happen, point" and joke around with people like myself about little coherency problems that sometimes happen in minecraft and all that
- say "I don't wan't this to happen, any idea ?" and consider, for instance, this interesting option : why not have your laser emit a light weaker than a bloc light that could therefore not possibly activate another lens unless it is directly pointed at.
- say "I don't wan't this to happen, please shut up, I know better than you" and close a discussion that was never intended to annoy you. That's the direction you chose... I'm not quite sure why, and I just hope I didn't make things worse... (since I'm not sure how understandable I am)
Zhil

Post by Zhil »

FlowerChild wrote:Hehe...that one was just for you man. I wasn't joking when I said I'd note that one down for future consideration when you suggested it (what was that, a month ago?).

Thanks for taking note of it. I was wondering if you'd notice with everything else going on ;)
Yeah, I noticed it right away :)

For some inexplicable reason, I'm in love with the handcrank. So much, in fact, that if I see a new use for it in the future, I'll be sure to post a request for it :). I think this little guy deserves a secondary use down the line.

What I'd like to see is more people using it as an input device, I'm going to have to make a thread about that :D
Come join us at Vioki's Discord! discord.gg/fhMK5kx
Marasambala

Post by Marasambala »

The download link in this thread is set to a private file on Mediafire. The link from MCF is fine.

I'm just now doing the updates, can't wait to get started!
Sometimes I think everyone else is smarter than me, then I realize everyone else is smarter then me.
Stormweaver

Post by Stormweaver »

Marasambala wrote:The download link in this thread is set to a private file on Mediafire. The link from MCF is fine.

I'm just now doing the updates, can't wait to get started!
That's because it's outdated. The most recent version can be gotten from this thread: BTW 3.51.
PatriotBob wrote:Damn it, I'm going to go eat pumpkin pie while I still think that it tastes good.
Marasambala

Post by Marasambala »

Silly me.
Sometimes I think everyone else is smarter than me, then I realize everyone else is smarter then me.
Marasambala

Post by Marasambala »

The wiki linked to this thread, fixed.