Jeet Plays Better Than Wolves and Better Then Buildcraft

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
Jeet

Jeet Plays Better Than Wolves and Better Then Buildcraft

Post by Jeet »

I'm a new BTW user having never touched the mod before, so join me on my journey as I learn the ins and outs of BTW and BTB. This first episode is the obligatory tree punching episode. I will likely post 1-2 episodes a week.

Let me know how I'm doing, and be gentle. ;)

Jeet Plays Better Than Wolves - Episode 2: Windmill power, go!

Jeet Plays Better Than Wolves - Episode 1: Tree punching, go!

Thanks,
Jeet
Last edited by Jeet on Tue Jan 24, 2012 8:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Wgurgh

Re: Jeet Plays Better Than Wolves and Better Then Buildcraft

Post by Wgurgh »

Watched it and enjoyed it. Brings back some memories since it isn't that long ago I started BTW. Keep us updated on when there are new episodes, will be following this for sure.

That is a nice TP, but I agree about the UI, couldn't really handle that part. Nice "regular guy" voice and interesting comments. I am also looking forward to getting a look at BTB (in the future of course)

As far as I can tell, the wolves won't despawn, but you may know that by now. Also, hunger won't be a problem with a decent chicken farm once you have been to the nether, I have chests full of hard boiled eggs.

Interesting to see how different people play too, on a new world my wooden pick gets 3 uses. Just enough to get stone for a stone pick, but then I usually use stone (except for stuff that needs iron of course) until I get to steel. Still using stone picks for harvesting netherack now...

Anyhow, thanks for sharing, and I will be following
BigShinyToys

Post by BigShinyToys »

Interesting play through so far think I might go through some of your old Minecraft lets plays. will definitely be looking ford to seeing some more BTW contraptions in latter episode.
Wgurgh wrote: Interesting to see how different people play too, on a new world my wooden pick gets 3 uses. Just enough to get stone for a stone pick, but then I usually use stone (except for stuff that needs iron of course) until I get to steel. Still using stone picks for harvesting netherack now...
You can remelt damaged iron tools why use cobble when metals are recyclable.
I have a crucible set up in the nether and one in my mine for easy convenience and have not lost a signal piece of iron yet except the stuff I converted to steel ofc. but that is not really lost.

@Jeet
A tip keep all iron tools no matter how damaged do not use them to destruction just store for later melting. also a iron hoe is good way to get lots of hemp seeds.
Zhil

Post by Zhil »

BigShinyToys wrote:You can remelt damaged iron tools why use cobble when metals are recyclable.
Because once you have a crucible, you have steel. He's talking about before you have a crucible to recycle.
Come join us at Vioki's Discord! discord.gg/fhMK5kx
orangeweaver

Post by orangeweaver »

I just might follow this ... I've been enjoying a lot of BTW Let's Plays and am interested in some BTB play as well as some BTW play from a new BTW player (I'm fairly new too but have been enjoying the mod a ton!).

I'm waiting to see the second and third video, as the first episode is mostly ... tree punching ... which is completely understandable and acknowledged, ha! Hope to see what you do and that I get another interesting series to follow! Good luck sir!
Wgurgh

Post by Wgurgh »

Actually, I do save most iron things for recycling once I get a crucible. I was really pointing out the lack of logic I have in using stone so long. Of course, in the nether I like not having to watch my picks damage, just use 'em till they break and switch to the next. I also cannot really see the difference in speed on netherack and don't feel like I get that much more use out of iron. Also, at first I was afraid of losing my steel stuff if I died in the nether.
excius

Post by excius »

Great video. Enjoyed your other shows aswell, glad you decided to start on the BTW/BTB now as that was what i was waiting for.

I usually build a hideout, put up a hemp farm up and then dig straight down for diamonds.
Jeet

Post by Jeet »

Episode 2 is now up. I made a bit of progress and got a windmill going. (Through a bunch of trial and error).

Let me know if you want to see more of the actual building (and failing) process, or if you are happy with a brief world tour part and a bit of tech progression playthrough

Jeet Plays Better Than Wolves - Episode 2: Windmill power, go!

Thanks,
Jeet
excius

Post by excius »

I like the way you do your other let's play
Wgurgh

Post by Wgurgh »

As far as the question of whether to show the building (and failing) process or not, I think I changed my mind while watching it. Pretty good the way you do it though I thought I would recommend to show it.

Always nice to have a couple spawners and an abandoned mine close by isn't it? I am amazed how much hemp you got from such a small field (in my eyes at least) but keep harvesting and grinding it, you will need a lot.

As for the wolves, I would use a block mobs can't spawn on for them to sit on. I use glass myself. I would also have the water a block lower, going completely under the block they set on. Squid problem may be caused by them spawning above the wolves and falling in though. Item dispensers can be useful for feeding early in the tech tree.

Another thing that surprised me was that you didn't put your windmill in the desert since you are so close to it. No rain in the desert so it can always be on. My first windmill was on a pillar with a grinding mill built next to it. Ugly, but it worked and didn't take as many axles and gearboxes.

Cauldrons (excuse me, seems they may be called something else now, but still) are useful in several ways, even early on. Anything that ends up on top of them gets "sucked in" to the storage, and with burning netherack under them, they can cook things too. Pretty nice to have a nice stack of boiled eggs with you all the time, and doesn't take that many chickens to do it. You can also grind wheat to make flour and cook doughnuts in it.

Anyhow, still enjoying watching very much.
Elensaar

Post by Elensaar »

I finally got around to watching both episodes, and I'm really enjoying this :) I think that showing a little bit of the experimentation process might be a good thing, but I don't think showing too much of it is necessary.

Oh, and I definitely recommend putting the water underneath the wolves, I think that might solve the squid problem (I think you're right that they were the cause of your wolves teleporting up to you). Also, others have mentioned, the Stewing Pot is your friend for semi-automated collection in the beginning of the tech tree. If you put one where the waterstream comes out from your wolf-pods, any dung that's carried by the water will drop into its inventory and you won't have to worry about checking before items despawn. :)
Lots of planets have a north...!
Stormweaver

Post by Stormweaver »

Hmm...since all the BTW specific stuff seems to have been dealt with;

I'd reccomend holding off on making the exp farm till you've got a saw up and running, and then making a system out of the two zombie spawners. The alternate recipie for signs is a godsend when making any kind of mob trap, and making mobevators with spouts and HCB mode on is a simple task with an enormous feeling of accoplishment that comes with it.

That and zombies are probably the best mob for exp farms in BTW tbh, since the output is both food, dog food, fertilizer and glue.
PatriotBob wrote:Damn it, I'm going to go eat pumpkin pie while I still think that it tastes good.
Jeet

Post by Jeet »

Oh wow, thank you for the advice guys. I'll have another episode either Thursday night or Friday if all goes well at work this week.

1) I'll fix the wolf pens easy enough, and place some monster proof blocks in the area.

2) I'll look at moving the windmill, since it won't take much more to move it to the other side of the mountain which is in the desert biome. (I didn't stop to think that it doesn't storm in the desert)

3) Check on the stewing pot

4) My hemp production was slow at first but while I was mining and tending to my animals I just kept harvesting and planting until my field was full

5) Thanks for the advice on the Zombie spawners Stormweaver, I'll look into the mobevator soon.

Jeet
Zhil

Post by Zhil »

Wgurgh wrote:I am amazed how much hemp you got from such a small field (in my eyes at least)
I never make a farm larger than 10 hemp. If that is not enough, I just automate it. What do you do with all that hemp? I have like double chests full of the stuff.
Come join us at Vioki's Discord! discord.gg/fhMK5kx
Wgurgh

Post by Wgurgh »

I usually run about 30-40 hemp plants for some reason, then mostly ignore it until I need some. Never said I was sane (check comment about picks above)

Automation is a bit iffy for me really. Battosay was always complaining about his "crappy computer" and I was in awe of what it could do. If I run my auto urn line, I pretty much have to AFK it or deal with single digit framerates. I imagine automated hemp farm wouldn't lag me as much though, but by time I can, I don't need more than I can occasionally harvest.

I like deserts enough for windmills that I built a sub-base in the desert for mine about 150-200 blocks away from my "home" base. I also tend to really sprawl out, so a lot of automation wouldn't even be running a lot of time. My current bases spread almost across a map page from side to side. Anyhow, take that into consideration when reading any advice I may give :p
BigShinyToys

Post by BigShinyToys »

I have to admit I was loling when you took out the three stacks and said "I making a wind mill" ( words to that affect) BTW is kinda brutal until you have a decent auto hemp rig.

Witch is why I personalty rush to steel making as compact / cheep as I go then re do everything after the anvil and block detectors are available. first think I rebuild / modify is hemp to make it non timed by using detectors before this it runs on a clock ( item decay )

I like the vids keep them coming and a bit of the How build stuff could be good.
ow and how luckier are you. Oil / spawner's / desert for wind mill / nether fortress
next you will find a over world fortress only a cobbles throw away.
Jeet

Post by Jeet »

BigShinyToys wrote:next you will find a over world fortress only a cobbles throw away.
No over world fortress yet, but I found a village last night on the other side my desert. I trapped a TON of animals that were there. :) A second animal farm maybe?
echo off

Post by echo off »

really enjoying it, so much so i even subscribed. damn that was a nice random seed too... luckkkkiiieeeee!

my only suggestions seem to have been addressed above. get a saw asap... the high efficiency recipes are very handy, but best of all is the super cheap gears.

oh, and not if you were aware and just don't like doing it, but shift clicking items will move them from your inventory to a chest much quicker than manually dragging them across :)
echo off

Post by echo off »

bumping this cause jeet hasn't updated it. episode 3 is out! =D
Wgurgh

Post by Wgurgh »

Seems to me you do fairly well with redstone, nice setup on the wolf feeder there. I have to say I groaned when I saw you knock the wolf off the block, I know how hard those guys can be to get back sometimes. Made me wish I had mentioned that item dispensers can only point to the sides, ran into the same problem myself, but my solution was not nearly as elegant.

Re-read my earlier posts and looks like I forgot to mention that mill stones can be powered from the bottom too, so once you have a saw you can put a hopper on top of it to feed it. Probably not really an issue until you start grinding netherack though, even more since you have two running.

Thanks for sharing even though you are not feeling well, I keep checking to see if there is a new episode. I can wait though, don't kill yourself