12 hour clock, timable to full minecraft day

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
elustran

12 hour clock, timable to full minecraft day

Post by elustran »

I got excited by the idea of being able to make an accurate clock in Minecraft, so I built a 12 hour clock using the turntable to clock a double series of piston-driven bands that output to a clock face built using light blocks. I just took a few pictures. I used TaviRider's World of Redstone as a test-world to demonstrate the concept (a great resource if you don't know the basics of redstone), but it's a bit deprecated now since it was made before snow fell in Beta... so, please ignore the snow.

The difficulty with making a 12 hour clock is that Minecraft has a 20 minute day, so to divide each day/night cycle into 24 hours would require each Minecraft 'hour' to be 50 seconds; however, with the inclusion of the turntable timer that clocks accuratly at 0.5/1/2/5... etc seconds, we can build an accurate Minecraft clock with just a little extra timing work.

Basically, I took a turntable, used it to time a 10-space piston driven block band, which I then used to time a 24-block piston-band which outputs to a 12-hour clock face. With the turntable set to 5 seconds, this expands the time required to pass a full cycle to 1200 seconds, or a full 24 Minecraft "hours".

All told, it wasn't overly difficult to build and doesn't require so many resources that it would be implausible to execute in a legit world.

(I just realized the following pictures might be a little big, so here's an album you can look at with smaller pictures.)

Clock Face:
Spoiler
Show
Overview of the first stage of the clock, including the turntable and wiring to the first-stage 10-cycle piston band.
Spoiler
Show
This is a 10-space piston-driven band to turn a 5-second signal into a 50 second signal. It fires twice to drive each axis of pistons in the 24-hour band. This actually causes an slightly noticeable signal delay to the clock every 12 hours that I might correct in a future version by using one signal passed to a splitter.
Spoiler
Show
24-hour Piston-driven band. The torches pass a signal from the red wool up to the clock.
Spoiler
Show
Wiring Behind Clock:
Spoiler
Show
Last edited by elustran on Sun Jul 17, 2011 4:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
walker_boh_65

Re: 12 hour clock, timable to full minecraft day

Post by walker_boh_65 »

great work, man
akantorJojo

Post by akantorJojo »

good job man...

could you tire to build an binary-clock that also shows minutes?
Battosay

Post by Battosay »

Woooow...
I wanted to make a good old 7segment display (x4) to make a digital clock, but this is way better, and really beautifull !
Nice job man ! I'll probably copy you ;)
elustran

Post by elustran »

akantorJojo wrote:good job man...

could you tire to build an binary-clock that also shows minutes?
You mean one that displays time in binary, so 12'o'clock is 1100 in binary, or do you mean a clock where the internal mechanism is a binary counter? Or, do you just mean adding a minute hand to the clock?

Adding a minute hand would probably just require a larger clock and horrible wiring. Of course, a 'minute' in Minecraft goes by every 0.833- seconds.

The main 'advanced' idea I had was to cut an hour up to 10 segments or so and have a display that would light up sequentially and then turn off sequentially so that an hour would tick at the same time the segments turned off, probably using flip-flops of some sort. If I execute the clock in my legit world, I might do something like that, particularly because I'm going to stoop to using wireless redstone to simplify wiring ;)
Battosay wrote:Woooow...
I wanted to make a good old 7segment display (x4) to make a digital clock, but this is way better, and really beautifull !
Nice job man ! I'll probably copy you ;)
Nice! Using 7-segment displays would still be impressive too. I noticed another timing error too, if you want rebuild it - I accidentally made the first stage multiply out to 200 seconds. I neglected to notice that the 5-seconds setting on the turntable clocks 1 facing every 5 seconds, not 5 seconds per revolution, so you need to modify the design so the turntable and first stage piston band multiply a signal out to 50 seconds. The easiest mod on top of my design would be to use the other two outputs of the turntable to drive the primary band at twice the speed and add a second wool block to the primary band so it multiplies by 5 rather than 10. That make sense?
akantorJojo

Post by akantorJojo »

well i just wanted a cklock that shows more than only hours, an one thats smal... cause i need something down in my cave!!! and some display thah shows if it´s day or night would be nice!

but this are only idears to extend your great work!!
Link007

Post by Link007 »

akantorJojo wrote:...and some display thah shows if it´s day or night would be nice!

but this are only idears to extend your great work!!
well the clock in vMC does exactly that, but without the hour or minute!