Love-mode problem when animal pairs fed at same time.

Post any bugs that you find *in the mod* here. This place is NOT for posting installation errors or bugs with vanilla Minecraft, or add-on mods.
andreinawolf

Love-mode problem when animal pairs fed at same time.

Post by andreinawolf »

I was working on a pig farm and I noticed that when I fed two pairs of pigs at the same time, one pair would be in love mode but would not breed. I know vMC had this issue already, but I saw that the 3.41 notes mentioned that the vMC behavior was being fixed so I thought I should post this bug just in case.

Here is the basic setup I had:

I tried doing it N.S. and E.W. orientation and had the same result. The pairs breed properly if I space them out so there is at least 7 blocks between them.

I'm using BTW version 3.48 and the only other mod I have is TMI.

P.S. Thank you so much for creating BTW! Your mod has thoroughly revitalized by passion for MC.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Re: Love-mode problem when animal pairs fed at same time.

Post by FlowerChild »

Glad you're enjoying the mod man :)

As for your problem, I'd recommend not spacing out your animals quite so far. I suspect what is happening is that you're just on the border of their breeding range, so depending on their orientation or what have you, they may or may not be able to breed at any given time. In other words, I think you're running into something completely unrelated to the fixes I made to the breeding system.

My own setup has two blocks between the animals, instead of your three, and I never run into such problems.

Anyways, give that a try, and I'll leave this thread open to give you a chance to report your findings.
Camerinthus

Post by Camerinthus »

FlowerChild wrote:Glad you're enjoying the mod man :)

As for your problem, I'd recommend not spacing out your animals quite so far. I suspect what is happening is that you're just on the border of their breeding range, so depending on their orientation or what have you, they may or may not be able to breed at any given time. In other words, I think you're running into something completely unrelated to the fixes I made to the breeding system.

My own setup has two blocks between the animals, instead of your three, and I never run into such problems.

Anyways, give that a try, and I'll leave this thread open to give you a chance to report your findings.
I think his pigs are 1 block apart, there's just three spaces in between each set of two. It's hard to see the lower one, but I think there's 4 pigs there.
IGN: Camerinthus
andreinawolf

Post by andreinawolf »

Sorry I should have posted a more high angle screen shot. There are two pairs of pigs, each in a 1x3 area with the center block being a hole down to a lava pit (since this was a test).

When the button is pressed, both pairs of pigs are fed at the same time. In the screenshot in my first post the right pair already spawned a baby pig. The left pair is still in love-mode but will not breed and eventually love-mode will expire.

Here are some more tests I did:

There are 4 test setups in the center. The top one is from the original screen shot (but from the opposite side), and the 3 below it increase the distance between the pig pairs by 1 block each time.

The green blocks show which pairs successfully bred and the red show which ones were stuck. I made sure to let the previous test setup's love-mode expire before doing the next one so they didn't interfere.

It is always the same pair (north and west) of pigs that will not enter love-mode.

Hope this helps! Thanks!
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Cool man, I'll check it out tomorrow after I've gotten some sleep :)
kregoth

Post by kregoth »

Hmm interesting by the looks of the picture my bet it is that the piggies are eating the same piece of wheat at the same moment. so only one is actually gaining the breed function of eating it.

looking at the redstone setup you have on all 4 test cases the block dispensers don't have a single delay between releasing the wheat from each other. So my guess is the part of FC's code that determent's eating wheat on the ground is causing this.

I know FC is looking at this but add a repeater between the blocks dispensers on different delays and try again I bet it will work fine.
FlowerChild wrote:My theory is that stupidity acts like an infectious organism on the net. Unless it's regularly pruned from your "garden", it will inevitably overwhelm it and kill off everything else.
andreinawolf

Post by andreinawolf »

kregoth wrote:Hmm interesting by the looks of the picture my bet it is that the piggies are eating the same piece of wheat at the same moment. so only one is actually gaining the breed function of eating it.

looking at the redstone setup you have on all 4 test cases the block dispensers don't have a single delay between releasing the wheat from each other. So my guess is the part of FC's code that determent's eating wheat on the ground is causing this.

I know FC is looking at this but add a repeater between the blocks dispensers on different delays and try again I bet it will work fine.
I wasn't sure which dispensers you meant to delay from each other so I just tried both:

In the first test setup, by adding two repeaters (set to 4) so that the upper (from the perspective of the player in the screenshot) set of dispensers is on a delay. The result was the same as the original test.

In the third test setup (since it was easier to do), by adding three repeaters (also set to 4) so that the right pair of dispensers was on a delay. The result was the same as the original test.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Fixed for next release.