BUD Automated cobblestone generator

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
Sandrew

BUD Automated cobblestone generator

Post by Sandrew »

Today I managed to build this contraption, a automated cobblestone generator using the buddy block. I haven't seen anything like it before, so I figured I'd share it. Though to me it was quite an achievement, it really isn't much. It is essentially a monostable circuit linked to a BD that alternately dispenses a full block and a half-block. The cobblestone generated triggers the monostable circuit and lets the BD dispense a block, forcing the gathering BD to swallow the cobble. The disappearing cobble sends out another signal which forces the BD to spit out its half-slab, preventing the gathering BD from spitting out its gathered cobble.

The thing is that there is probably a reason nobody does it this way. One reason is probably the fact that the gathering rate isn't that high, about 40 stone/minute. A second reason is that it jams up every now and then. I can live with the low collection rate, but having to reset the machine every few minutes (though my current run has been going on for over four minutes now) gets quite annoying. I don't know what causes it, or how to prevent/fix it, any help on that would be appreciated. I think it occurs when the BUD produces a pulse before the monostable circuit can reset.

So yeah, here:

The switch on the left powers the circuit, jamming it. Probably the same way the BUD jams it every now and then.
HavokSCOUT

Re: BUD Automated cobblestone generator

Post by HavokSCOUT »

Good job. I just used a lot of repeaters to get the timing right. :D
Spoiler
Show
Brony, and proud of it
CheGiuAn wrote:ppl should have faith, not religion....
Katalliaan wrote:It's a tech shrub, more like
MagikEh wrote: D: THE SEEKRET OF SYRUPEY BEAVER NIPPLES HAS BEEN EXPOSED!!! ABORT~!~!
Sandrew

Post by Sandrew »

Thanks. I figured I could use timers but thought this might result in a higher harvesting rate, as it could potentially harvest the moment a block of cobblestone is formed.

In other news, waking up causes it to jam. I really don't know why it would do that. I'm already trying to think of a way to automatically reset the system every x minutes.
Chaechew

Post by Chaechew »

Nice job.

I have sort of similar design that i said i would release soon in my multi-pulse video, so please do not take my releasing it as one up manship. It's not. just doing what i said i would already.
Camerinthus

Post by Camerinthus »

My usual cobblestone generator is a piston + BD setup, which basically has the pistons pushing the cobble every so often (from a turntable pulse) into a BD, which sucks it up 2 ticks after the pistons push it. (they both get a pulse from the turntable, but the redstone to the BDs have a repeater so it doesn't jam up.
IGN: Camerinthus
muggsbud

Post by muggsbud »

looks complicated.

I just used a turn table (i have them everywhere) and a BD to get a cobble generator.
one redstone torch, set the table to the third or fourth setting, depending on your computer's lag.
ninjapenguin23

Post by ninjapenguin23 »

If you have the lava coming down from above, it will make smoothstone instead. ive got a bunch of those going atm. they also jam up when i sleep tho, but i just set up a 2-tick monostable circuit connected to a button to restart it when in screws up. im at school atm, but ill post a pic when i get home.
HavokSCOUT

Post by HavokSCOUT »

Is that a buddy block detecting the cobblestone in your circuit, or is it a detector block? I know that the buddy block detects water flow, which might mess with your circuit, but I don't know about detector blocks.
Spoiler
Show
Brony, and proud of it
CheGiuAn wrote:ppl should have faith, not religion....
Katalliaan wrote:It's a tech shrub, more like
MagikEh wrote: D: THE SEEKRET OF SYRUPEY BEAVER NIPPLES HAS BEEN EXPOSED!!! ABORT~!~!
Mr_Hosed

Post by Mr_Hosed »

DBs detect water as well.