vertical signal: pull rope switch

If you want to get banned, this is the place to post.
Itamarcu

Re: vertical signal: pull rope switch

Post by Itamarcu »

I think this is a great idea. It shouldn't be hard to code - just whenever you right-click a rope (perhaps with a handle or something?) it updates the one above it - a certain boolean is changed to 1, or something like that. If a block above a rope is not a rope, but a pulley (although I think using an anchor would be a lot nicer), it generates a short redstone pulse.
It can even be nerfed, if the only way to "see" the rope moving is using a detector block/buddy block. Maybe pulling the rope is very tiring, like the handcrank? It doesn't seem overpowered.

It is definitely not like lens:
  • -It is only vertical
    -It requires a lot of ropes - resources
    -It is more basic and primitive
    -It is temporary like a button
    -It requires a rope "block" in every block - the lens requires air (or glass)
And the most important thing you forgot:
It CAN NOT be automated by anything! you have to pull the rope yourself. That means you can't have a machine send a lot of pulses simultaneously - unlike the lens.

I personally think it is a "primitive" solution to a problem that can be automated using better resources and circuits. Just like handcrank and windmill, or furnace and kiln.
You know what you should read? Worm. Here you go: https://parahumans.wordpress.com/catego ... tion/1-01/
weylin

Post by weylin »

I think it's a good idea.
Instead of having 50 redstone torches to carry a signal up to the surface, you'd have an anchor-like block that lowers or raises the pull handle for every segment of rope you insert or remove.
Itamarcu

Post by Itamarcu »

Actually, instead of torch towers you can use the awesome idea Stormweaver pointed out in the previous page - with the piston.
It really sounds great, although it's only upwards, and it's range is limited unless you add other pistons.
You know what you should read? Worm. Here you go: https://parahumans.wordpress.com/catego ... tion/1-01/
Stormweaver

Post by Stormweaver »

itamarcu wrote:Actually, instead of torch towers you can use the awesome idea Stormweaver pointed out in the previous page - with the piston.
It really sounds great, although it's only upwards, and it's range is limited unless you add other pistons.
it stacks easily enough tbh.

For downwards transmission...hehe, use a pulley. Just stick a DB at the bottom of a hole, fill the pulley with rope, and fill the pulley with rope again once the rope reaches the bottom. take one piece of rope out, and stick a button on the gearbox.
PatriotBob wrote:Damn it, I'm going to go eat pumpkin pie while I still think that it tastes good.
sargunv
Site Admin

Post by sargunv »

Stormweaver wrote:For downwards transmission...hehe, use a pulley. Just stick a DB at the bottom of a hole, fill the pulley with rope, and fill the pulley with rope again once the rope reaches the bottom. take one piece of rope out, and stick a button on the gearbox.
You are a genius.
Gormador

Post by Gormador »

Well, this means the original suggestion is already in the mod... not as flexible but the way it already exists doesn't have an overpowered side.
Thanks to you stormweaver !
FlowerChild wrote:If you have a suggestion, I recommend that it have pure manna from heaven flowing forth from its vagina to warrant posting it at this point in time.
BinoAl

Post by BinoAl »

Gormador wrote:Well, this means the original suggestion is already in the mod... not as flexible but the way it already exists doesn't have an overpowered side.
Thanks to you stormweaver !
So the lens wasn't a viable (yet admittedly not currently in the mod) solution to this because it was different in a more flexible way, but storm's solution is a viable solution, yet less flexible? 0.0
Gormador

Post by Gormador »

BinoAl wrote:So the lens wasn't a viable (yet admittedly not currently in the mod) solution to this because it was different in a more flexible way, but storm's solution is a viable solution, yet less flexible? 0.0
Well, I made myself another opinion and now think that being able to stop an elevatore wherever you want when you want is no fun :p
FlowerChild wrote:If you have a suggestion, I recommend that it have pure manna from heaven flowing forth from its vagina to warrant posting it at this point in time.
BinoAl

Post by BinoAl »

Gormador wrote:
BinoAl wrote:So the lens wasn't a viable (yet admittedly not currently in the mod) solution to this because it was different in a more flexible way, but storm's solution is a viable solution, yet less flexible? 0.0
Well, I made myself another opinion and now think that being able to stop an elevatore wherever you want when you want is no fun :p
Lol, sounds good :3
Kezza

Post by Kezza »

Damn, your right guys maybe there is really no need for it. I thought it would be such a good thing, but the people here are very good in finding other solutions. Next time, I will try to think better about it, before posting.
MoRmEnGiL

Post by MoRmEnGiL »

People who have played BtW for a long time tend to be very creative in solving problems. That doesn't mean that noone can suggest something that can already be solved in some obscure way though. Sometimes old timers are so used to a certain way of doing things that innovative ideas on that particular thing are more probable to come from newer players. Some times.
War..
War never changes.

Remember what the dormouse said
Gormador

Post by Gormador »

Kezza wrote:Damn, your right guys maybe there is really no need for it. I thought it would be such a good thing, but the people here are very good in finding other solutions. Next time, I will try to think better about it, before posting.
At least it would have make some of us (including me) think about other solution. And some had / find (excluded me ^^) some !

As the question has been solved, you might want to request a thread lock ;-)
Kezza

Post by Kezza »

LOCK! please! :D