Java lessons [obsolete]

This forum is for anything that doesn't specifically have to do with Better Than Wolves
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Re: Java lessons, sign up now

Post by FlowerChild »

morvelaira wrote:I can be quite a force of my own. A force of /adorable/!
I suspect you'll be begging for me to return the blindfold within the first hour :)
morvelaira

Post by morvelaira »

FlowerChild wrote:
morvelaira wrote:I can be quite a force of my own. A force of /adorable/!
I suspect you'll be begging for me to return the blindfold within the first hour :)
And with that, you've provoked enough thoughts from me that you'll have to find a private way of contacting me if you want to know them. *blush*
She-who-bears the right of Prima Squee-ti
I make BTW videos! http://www.youtube.com/user/morvelaira
The kitten is traumatized by stupid. Please stop abusing the kitten.
Blueblade11

Post by Blueblade11 »

Yay, i feel off topic for posting on-topic.

Aye.

I attempted some crappy minecrafts mods. I failed.
255 Characters Limit? D:
http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/941586- viewtopic.php?f=11&t=3117
I don't want to go back to MCF! Even if I do stupid things here 90% of the time!
jehanum

Post by jehanum »

aye. One small mod, 2 blocks/items and some recipes :)
Dirdle

Re: Java lessons [obsolete]

Post by Dirdle »

I tried to learn Java last summer; I was very glad to go back to Python. Java is horrible by comparison. I imagine I'll give it another try some day in the distant future (Or I might try C++ instead, try to be a Real Programmer).

Not that I'd want to put you guys off or anything =P.
What Strange Devices!
MoRmEnGiL

Post by MoRmEnGiL »

Yeah, I'm not a programmer by any means but my experience so far with java has been.. let's just say it didn't go down smoothly. The entire cross platform thing is a blessing and a curse at the same time..
War..
War never changes.

Remember what the dormouse said
Zhil

Post by Zhil »

Dirdle wrote:I was very glad to go back to Python. Java is horrible by comparison.
Yeah, if you like Python, chances are small you'll like Java. I don't like Python at all, but I do like Java. C# has the features of both, so that's what I usually use, if possible :) (it has its own set of disadvantages too of course)
Come join us at Vioki's Discord! discord.gg/fhMK5kx
Camerinthus

Post by Camerinthus »

Gilberreke wrote:
Dirdle wrote:I was very glad to go back to Python. Java is horrible by comparison.
Yeah, if you like Python, chances are small you'll like Java. I don't like Python at all, but I do like Java. C# has the features of both, so that's what I usually use, if possible :) (it has its own set of disadvantages too of course)
Yeah, I really enjoy python, mainly because of the whitespace and that it promotes (and almost necessitates) clean code.

I've been thinking about learning C# too, it got recommended to me.
IGN: Camerinthus
Zhil

Post by Zhil »

Camerinthus wrote:Yeah, I really enjoy python, mainly because of the whitespace and that it promotes (and almost necessitates) clean code.

I've been thinking about learning C# too, it got recommended to me.
In most decent IDEs, you can click on a "format" button and it will automatically adjust your code to the standard representation the language expects. I personally feel the whitespace blocks look a bit less readable than curlies.

It's all personal opinions of course, when it comes to languages.
whitechaos35

Post by whitechaos35 »

I agree. Python is a pain in the ass to read, especially if you prefer programming with a dark theme. For some reason, I find it difficult to judge tabs and spaces on my black background.

The previous posters have obviously not utilized the features of Python. Y'all are just using Python as a scripting language, so it is not fair to compare to Java, or any other procedural language.
CreeperCommando

Post by CreeperCommando »

I'll say aye, want to learn as programming presents some nice skills of trade. Certainly rewarding skills when I learn to do them right to :)
Ribky wrote:Right into the hibachi? Damn man, God hates your windmill more than he hates the uncircumcised.
FC wrote:"You have defeated zrog the mighty! Have a potato."
FC wrote: "Does Dung Float?"
AmishGoat

Post by AmishGoat »

I'd also be interested, the class I am taking on the subject is proving to be dull and slowly paced. And on the note of Python, that was an interesting language (or at least, the little I saw was), but I think that knowledge of Java is more useful.
Trying to destroy the you with a you is futile.
Zhil

Post by Zhil »

whitechaos35 wrote:The previous posters have obviously not utilized the features of Python. Y'all are just using Python as a scripting language, so it is not fair to compare to Java, or any other procedural language.
Except for C#, which has both :3

But yeah, interpreted languages like Python have their own set of advantages and it's really not conductive to compare it to Java. There's a whole lot of things that are easier to do in Python and a whole lot of things easier to do in Java.

Note your use of the word "procedural" though. Depending on the definition, both Java and Python are either both procedural or not at all.
Flesh_Engine

Post by Flesh_Engine »

I'm eagerly up for this :)
"An engine of flesh can do that..." // "Man feed Machine. Machine feed Man..."