Smooth stone generator

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
Vongard

Smooth stone generator

Post by Vongard »

First off, hello, this is one of my first times making a relevant post on these forums. But lets get to it.

Due to the new way Lava and water are working in minecraft you can make smooth stone using only lava and water allowing for an easily made smooth stone generator.

The way it works now as far as i know:
water over lava source block = obsidian
Water into running lava = cobblestone
Lava onto two paths of running water = smooth stone
Please correct me if i am wrong.

(i am sorry Battosay but this makes your old generator obsolete, though it was much more interesting then this contraption that took me no more than 5 minutes to build.)

Now for screenies.

First this is a picture showing the "front" of the machine as well as the delay, not it takes about 14 ticks (3 full delayed repeaters and one half delayed) in order to get it to run smoothly.
Spoiler
Show
Next is a picture of the "back" of the machine showing the smooth stone in place, hopefully this shows i am not wasting your time.
Spoiler
Show
And finally our turnout, i only had the machine running for about a minute, so needless to say it works quickly and can be very useful and resource saving.
Spoiler
Show
* also the idea of making a smooth stone generator was not from me someone on the server i play on had mentioned it and i just realized how well this could work in hand with better than wolves.

Thank you for your time!

~Von
RaustBlackDragon

Re: Smooth stone generator

Post by RaustBlackDragon »

I know very little about the subject, but it looks like it's great!

Whaddya need the smooth stone for, though?
What's the price of freedom now?
Can you cut me a deal?
A crate of wholesale liberty,
or a justice combo meal?
walker_boh_65

Post by walker_boh_65 »

I certainly like it. Certainly will save we a LOT of coal.
Battlecat

Post by Battlecat »

Stone brick is my favorite block lately, this will make manufacturing it much easier! Nice design, it's very compact!
Vongard

Post by Vongard »

RaustBlackDragon wrote:I know very little about the subject, but it looks like it's great!

Whaddya need the smooth stone for, though?
Grindstone, Block dispenser, ext most of the upper level items for the mod, it also is pretty =)

Thanks everyone!

~Von
finite8

Post by finite8 »

Meh. All you need is a Crucible stocked by bellows. Dump all your cobblestone in there and come back to a crucible full of smooth stone. No coal needed.

Nice design though. Well done.
Flowerchild (IRC) wrote:I'm not trying to stop you BTW ..., I'm saying that I think you're a piece of shit...not the same thing
Zhil

Post by Zhil »

The fact that it needs a BD does place this at the same time you reach crucibles, so it's a bit pointless. Cool contraption though :)
Come join us at Vioki's Discord! discord.gg/fhMK5kx
walker_boh_65

Post by walker_boh_65 »

finite8 wrote:Meh. All you need is a Crucible stocked by bellows. Dump all your cobblestone in there and come back to a crucible full of smooth stone. No coal needed.

Nice design though. Well done.
The crucible can create smooth stone??? Since when??
fullsailor

Post by fullsailor »

walker_boh_65 wrote: The crucible can create smooth stone??? Since when??

Since 2.97

At the same time he added the Sand => Glass in crucible.
walker_boh_65

Post by walker_boh_65 »

fullsailor wrote: Since 2.97

At the same time he added the Sand => Glass in crucible.
And to think, I have used the glass recipe, but not the smooth stone one.
Stormweaver

Post by Stormweaver »

Battlecat wrote:Stone brick is my favorite block lately, this will make manufacturing it much easier! Nice design, it's very compact!
This. I build everything out of stone brick where I can (except my recent foray into more natural looking blocks, mossy cobble and the like) and cutting out the crucible stage of smooth stone production is just going to be awesome :p

Good to know it only requires still water as opposed to source blocks though. That'll make this a lot easier to make with HCB :D
PatriotBob wrote:Damn it, I'm going to go eat pumpkin pie while I still think that it tastes good.
Trequiche

Post by Trequiche »

There is an issue with this design that i have discovered. If the lava beats the water to the block infront of the BD then it won't produce any more stone.
embirrim

Post by embirrim »

Trequiche wrote:There is an issue with this design that i have discovered. If the lava beats the water to the block infront of the BD then it won't produce any more stone.
If I'm not mistaken, water updates quicker and flows quicker than lava, so as they are both only 1 block away, water will get there first. I think!
Haven't tried it out.
Urian

Post by Urian »

Having them two blocks apart and digging a hole one block deeper under the lava so it always flows downward help keep the generator running.
FlowerChild: Ice in deserts is a good idea
Dirdle

Post by Dirdle »

Urian wrote:Having them two blocks apart and digging a hole one block deeper under the lava so it always flows downward help keep the generator running.
Surely the hole will clog up with cobblestone? Testing this now. My factory uses only a single water stream/setup instead of two; two of four setups consistently jam, the others work "perfectly" (to the limit of the dispenser's capacity, which is plenty).
Edit: This fix works perfectly. Nice one Urian.

OP, this generator is very efficient and I love it. Thankyou :).
Last edited by Dirdle on Sun Dec 11, 2011 10:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
What Strange Devices!
Trequiche

Post by Trequiche »

embirrim wrote:
Trequiche wrote:There is an issue with this design that i have discovered. If the lava beats the water to the block infront of the BD then it won't produce any more stone.
If I'm not mistaken, water updates quicker and flows quicker than lava, so as they are both only 1 block away, water will get there first. I think!
Haven't tried it out.
Water flows quicker it doesn't always update quicker.
maxsi

Post by maxsi »

idk why, but your setup only worked for me with 6 repeaters on max deley istend of 4
any way, loved it
Blazara wrote:Better Than Wolves: So seamless, you don't know what you've got into... ;)
Vongard

Post by Vongard »

Dirdle wrote:Surely the hole will clog up with cobblestone? Testing this now. My factory uses only a single water stream/setup instead of two; two of four setups consistently jam, the others work "perfectly" (to the limit of the dispenser's capacity, which is plenty).
Edit: This fix works perfectly. Nice one Urian.

OP, this generator is very efficient and I love it. Thankyou :).
Thanks!
If i understand what urian is saying i could easily put photos of the revised version. If anyone is interested just ask.

~Von
Husbag3

Post by Husbag3 »

If you dig a 5 block long trench and place a water source at the end, and 1 block above the end of the water stream, place a lava source. The lava will flow onto the first bit of water and produce stone and flow onto the next block. This process will create 4 stone as lava flows for 4 blocks. Using a turntable on the 3rd setting with redstone torches on either side of the block above the turntable will give you maximum efficiency.

Hope that helped for ant future generators you make :)
If the minecraft world is infinite, why does the sun still rotate around it?