New Release! (BTW V3.30)

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
Sarudak
Site Admin

Re: New Release! (BTW V3.30)

Post by Sarudak »

FlowerChild wrote:
Sarudak wrote:Personally I don't think I can bring myself to use a breeding harness... It just seems too inhumane...
You're going to be left behind man. In the battle against the enderdragon, we have no room left for moral compromise.
I find the enderdragon... unimpressive... Perhaps if you were to make the challenge more intimidating my moral principles might become more... ... malleable...
Zhil

Post by Zhil »

FlowerChild wrote:Glad you like the harness. Now hopefully Gil will know what I meant about the next release being my contribution to his thread ;)
Lovin' it like McDonalds :D
Come join us at Vioki's Discord! discord.gg/fhMK5kx
Ribky

Post by Ribky »

Ugh... Hangover... bad... what... did I...

Oooooh BTW updated!!!

Thank you kindly Mr. FlowerChild sir.
The spice must flow...

[03:28] <Detritus_> Weird, I'm still logged in her
Panda

Post by Panda »

Just Finished skinning the animals in 32x with harness dokucraft style!! (for my texturepack (wip) and about to fall asleep)
Anyone interested in in the skins i made? they look more like a real breeding harness though XD
(Battosay maybe?)
ill post pics tomorrow, for now sleep =]
Never say no to Panda.
kregoth

Post by kregoth »

Holy baby harnesses FC, 3 updates already in such a short amount of time I only just made my first set of soulsteal lol. You are the main reason why I started playing minecraft again, and I been playing sense invdev I stopped playing after 1.6 partially because I was not liking the path the game was taking as it was being updated. BTW is my FIRST mod and will probably be the the last, There are no other mods I feel are worth the time to try. I truly look forward to the future you will bring to this mod and minecraft itself.

@Battosay, I fear the video that you will be making with this new update. Hmm I can imagine you in a Gimp suit, riding a pig wearing a breeding harness lol.
-Added sounds and particles to the birthing of baby animals.
Ummm this should prove to be interesting.
-Changed baby animals so that they can jump only half as high as adults.
Thank you so much I have attempted everything I could think of to try and separate them, now I can :)
-Changed wolves so that they will ONLY produce Dung when they have been fed.
Oh man, this will be hard to automate for me, there pens are only 2 blocks under my farm going to be hard to move them :(
FlowerChild wrote:My theory is that stupidity acts like an infectious organism on the net. Unless it's regularly pruned from your "garden", it will inevitably overwhelm it and kill off everything else.
Mrchaim

Post by Mrchaim »

So, I've got to throw a dissenting voice in here - I really dislike the having to feed wolves change, having thought about it for a bit.

And this is why - This makes it so that if you want any kind of automated, not pain in the arse system at all, you're forced to learn how to create a redstone clock of some kind, so that your pre-filled dispensers don't simply waste everything they're loaded with.

And that really irks me - Previously, if you wanted, it was entirely possible to create a very inefficent, but still automated system, which could be significantly upgraded if you were willing to invest the time, effort, and space into it. Now... well, it's very all or nothing. And i'm not sure that's a good thing at all, as it really pushes out the style of building "lazy" or semi-automated systems.

Sorry to rain on the parade as it were, i just wanted to get that out there.
DaveYanakov

Post by DaveYanakov »

Mrchaim wrote:So, I've got to throw a dissenting voice in here - I really dislike the having to feed wolves change, having thought about it for a bit.

And this is why - This makes it so that if you want any kind of automated, not pain in the arse system at all, you're forced to learn how to create a redstone clock of some kind, so that your pre-filled dispensers don't simply waste everything they're loaded with.

And that really irks me - Previously, if you wanted, it was entirely possible to create a very inefficent, but still automated system, which could be significantly upgraded if you were willing to invest the time, effort, and space into it. Now... well, it's very all or nothing. And i'm not sure that's a good thing at all, as it really pushes out the style of building "lazy" or semi-automated systems.

Firstly, this mod is about adding challenge to designing automated systems, not taking it away. Read any three random threads here and you'll find ample proof of that.

Redstone clocks consist of turntables with a redstone torch. The turntable down the line is off til it gets activated. Need longer intervals, add more turntables. FC has already made this simple for you.
Better is the enemy of Good
Itamarcu

Post by Itamarcu »

DaveYanakov wrote:Need longer intervals, add more turntables.

I do it with a BD, that only dispenses a solid block every X times it's activated. Saves a lot of time :)

Also, almost everything in the mod ALLOWS you to be "lazy", but doesn't reward you much. You can always feed your wolves manually, farm hemp using your bare hands, place items one-by-one in your kiln or handcrank bellows. It just isn't very useful.
You know what you should read? Worm. Here you go: https://parahumans.wordpress.com/catego ... tion/1-01/
Mrchaim

Post by Mrchaim »

DaveYanakov wrote: Firstly, this mod is about adding challenge to designing automated systems, not taking it away. Read any three random threads here and you'll find ample proof of that.

Redstone clocks consist of turntables with a redstone torch. The turntable down the line is off til it gets activated. Need longer intervals, add more turntables. FC has already made this simple for you.
Little bit rude for a reply, dontcah think? I'm well aware of FC's general approach, i browse here daily. I just don't post unless I've got something to throw in. (Sorry if I'm misreading the tone of your post, I'm tetchy from health issues currently - Protip, never get migraines)

That said: I felt it was worth throwing my thoughts out here on the subject, particularly in this case because it's dramatic shift away from everything else possible in the mod, which can currently be done with quite simple semi-automated systems (By this i mean stuff that's built off simple loading and collecting machinery, with no need for timers or more complex redstone systems).

You're right in that you can build a multi-stage turn-table systems to build a clock. That is still a gigantic leap up over anything else in the mod for it's complexity to do so (To recive a steady supply of dung) doubly so from how early in the tech tree it is, given dung is critical to progress past the earliest levels.

That's where my issue with it is, and why i thought it was worth bringing up.

Edit: I should be clear here - I'm not overly invested in things, as it were - I just thought it was a point worth playing devil's advocate on.
Last edited by Mrchaim on Sat Dec 10, 2011 2:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Mrchaim wrote:So, I've got to throw a dissenting voice in here - I really dislike the having to feed wolves change, having thought about it for a bit.

Actually, you don't need any kind of clock. Just a farm of some kind periodically feeding the wolf.

There's multiple ways to solve this problem man.

And it's in no way all or nothing. You can still feed them by hand to work your way up the tech tree. You can just automate the dung collection part of that if you want, and I suspect that will likely be the first step people take in automating the overall process instead of standing around waiting for them to crap after feeding them.

Anyways, I think you may be overstating your point here and are talking in absolutes that just aren't present.
Mrchaim

Post by Mrchaim »

FlowerChild wrote:Anyways, I think you may be overstating your point here and are talking in absolutes that just aren't present.
I very well may be. Perfect coherence is a bit hard currently (see: Migarines). My apologies if that's the case.
DaveYanakov

Post by DaveYanakov »

Mrchaim wrote: Little bit rude for a reply, dontcah think?
It is possible that this was intentional as your post inspired me to become quite wroth. The complaint over an issue so minor and entirely contradictory to the spirit of this modification on the very eve of its release by one who has laboured to provide it without compensation borders on whinging.

It is also possible that I am intoxicated despite the fact I have consumed naught but water this fortnight past. It simply happens from time to time, which saves me rather a lot of currency.

Edit Ah ha! I have discovered the means to coerce this foul tempered beast of copper and silicon to allow me to select individual characters in the midst of a word!
Better is the enemy of Good
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Forget it guys, it's nothing. Let's drop it shall we?
ilovekintoki

Post by ilovekintoki »

A new update, what a great thing to wake up to. Thanks FC!
Mac

Post by Mac »

Thank you for this update.
I really fell incited to "cough" waste this weekend with it,
even though I have bigger issues at hand now.
Sigh, decisions decisions, not the best time when you're preparing for
for a job interview.
Anyway this will be a great weekend regardless.
My Youtube channel.

Tekei

Post by Tekei »

Great update! Currently trying to figure out how to make a proper breeding/slaughter-factory in creative mode. Something that had me just a little bit disappointed is that I remember reading that you were considering having the new vine traps to stop water the way signs do. That doesn't seem to be the case though (and I guess that makes sense since vines don't stop water either). May I ask what made you change your mind?

Now I'm off to finish my breeding tests and after that I'll test if mobs can spawn on vine blocks or not (me guess is no in which case I have to do some more thinking in order to understand what use they'll have in mob traps).
Urian

Post by Urian »

Tekei wrote:Now I'm off to finish my breeding tests and after that I'll test if mobs can spawn on vine blocks or not (me guess is no in which case I have to do some more thinking in order to understand what use they'll have in mob traps).
It's to trick mobs into walking on them and thus falling down heights higher than what they'd normally jump down from (3 blocks I think). The easiest example would probably be a dark room with alternating blocks of vine traps and solid blocks, mobs spawn on the solid blocks and as soon as they move they'll fall down.
FlowerChild: Ice in deserts is a good idea
Tekei

Post by Tekei »

Urian wrote:It's to trick mobs into walking on them and thus falling down heights higher than what they'd normally jump down from (3 blocks I think). The easiest example would probably be a dark room with alternating blocks of vine traps and solid blocks, mobs spawn on the solid blocks and as soon as they move they'll fall down.
Oh, so much I've figured out, but since mobs won't move unless you're within a certain distance it won't change a lot... or maybe it will... I'll test it out soon enough anyway :P
I was sort of half hoping to be able to get around that problem by having mobs spawn on the traps, but that might just have been a bit too easy.
Urian

Post by Urian »

I'm feeling stupid but I just can't seem to figure out the recipe for the harness... any hints?
Blueblade11

Post by Blueblade11 »

Urian wrote:I'm feeling stupid but I just can't seem to figure out the recipe for the harness... any hints?
GIMPS!
Spoiler
Show
Well, the gimp suit. Or most of it.
255 Characters Limit? D:
http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/941586- viewtopic.php?f=11&t=3117
I don't want to go back to MCF! Even if I do stupid things here 90% of the time!
Urian

Post by Urian »

Nope, still can't figure it out. it feels like I've tried every combination of tanned leather and straps by now. Going to leave it for later I guess :)
Zaikantos

Post by Zaikantos »

Note: animals fly apart a little bit when making babies. This setup means that they stay in their spot and the baby falls down. You can make your growing-up area there (1 block high walls, thanks flower. Love the new baby jump height) and then into your killmachine.

Love the new update. (I want to make a villager wear the harness though, evil people are evil)
embirrim

Post by embirrim »

I have a question.
On the last update, if I'm not mistaken, wolves were changed so that they only eat when they are low on health. And now, it has been changed so they only produce dung when they are fed. Doesn't this mean that I have to hit them to feed them? Meaning, damage them so they want to eat?

Or was it changed so they eat when they are hungry? (how the h**l do I know when they are hungry!)

Thanks for the help, and great update!
Stormweaver

Post by Stormweaver »

embirrim wrote:I have a question.
On the last update, if I'm not mistaken, wolves were changed so that they only eat when they are low on health. And now, it has been changed so they only produce dung when they are fed. Doesn't this mean that I have to hit them to feed them? Meaning, damage them so they want to eat?

Or was it changed so they eat when they are hungry? (how the h**l do I know when they are hungry!)

Thanks for the help, and great update!
they whine when they're hungry.

I think.
PatriotBob wrote:Damn it, I'm going to go eat pumpkin pie while I still think that it tastes good.
RaustBlackDragon

Post by RaustBlackDragon »

So in case this was still unsure, I'd just like to confirm once and for all:

The breeding harness does NOT work on villagers.

I've got a village right by my house, tested it out, doesn't work.
What's the price of freedom now?
Can you cut me a deal?
A crate of wholesale liberty,
or a justice combo meal?