Pottery touched by water turns into an item

If you want to get banned, this is the place to post.
The great randomo

Pottery touched by water turns into an item

Post by The great randomo »

Title says it all. Just a simple change to make soul urn factory's easier.
:)
Chris Martin wrote:The morning is for sleeping.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Re: Pottery touched by water turns into an item

Post by FlowerChild »

Not sure how that would help. Can you explain how you'd use it a bit more?

Also, are you talking about unfired pottery, cooked pottery, what?
The great randomo

Unfired pottery. The reason for this is that in my auto kiln, I have a line of uncooked urns to go into the kiln. Because the hitbox is too small, they cannot push the drops along, so I have to push them out with water. Unfortunately, the urns get in the way so I end up losing 90% of my urns. :(
If Unfired pottery dropped off with water, this problem would be fixed.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Ah, ok, that makes more sense. Let me think about it. I'm a little concerned it might break existing setups, even if its somewhat consistent with unfired pottery being converted when it is pushed off a block by a piston.

I also like that the current method gives a distinct role to pistons in automation, but like I said, I'll consider it.
Foogleplex

Post by Foogleplex »

I have a piston that opens the top of my kiln and allows water in to push out the items. It seems to work fine. Items flow out the front of the kiln, as long as the water is on for long enough.

I think a number of other solutions are also possible; for example, having your line of unwired pottery interspersed with blocks of something else.

I'm not sure if this is needed.
Sarudak
Site Admin

Post by Sarudak »

Omg pistons! That makes so much sense. I was trying to figure out how in the world someone could automate a kiln with only one block opening.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Sarudak wrote:Omg pistons! That makes so much sense. I was trying to figure out how in the world someone could automate a kiln with only one block opening.
Well, the opening is actually 2 blocks as of a few releases ago, but yeah, pistons are the shiznit for this stuff :)
Sarudak
Site Admin

Post by Sarudak »

Wait.. What is the new shape requirement for kilns then?
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Sarudak wrote:Wait.. What is the new shape requirement for kilns then?
4 brick blocks. It's in the OP on MCF, and probably in the readme under the change log for a few versions ago too.
Brethern

Post by Brethern »

FlowerChild wrote:Ah, ok, that makes more sense. Let me think about it. I'm a little concerned it might break existing setups, even if its somewhat consistent with unfired pottery being converted when it is pushed off a block by a piston.

I also like that the current method gives a distinct role to pistons in automation, but like I said, I'll consider it.
Uh, correct me if I'm wrong but the next release is going to be for 1.0 and isn't going to be using forge right?

doesn't that mean that people are going to need a clean world?
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Brethern wrote: Uh, correct me if I'm wrong but the next release is going to be for 1.0 and isn't going to be using forge right?

doesn't that mean that people are going to need a clean world?
Only if you're using other Forge mods, and there are many of us that definitely aren't.

EDIT: Bah...screw it man. I've been waiting around for you to make a major screw up so I could justify perma-banning you for awhile now. Unfortunately, you seem to just be skirting the line with each post. Each is aggravating, but not really sufficiently so to really justify a ban.

In the end, I don't really think I need a proper reason, given that I'm seeing more and more people react the same way and it's leading to conflict. I'd like to say it's nothing personal...but it is. Each time I see your name attached to a post a part of me shudders and I'm inevitably dragged down by what I read.

So yeah, screw it. I'm on a roll and cleaning house. You can join Magus Union bitching about me on the RP blog if you want some company.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Bumped due to the above.
whitechaos35

Post by whitechaos35 »

Just rethink your auto-kiln design. Turning blocks into items and vice-versa is supposed to require thought, not a change to the mod... And even if this content was present, your auto kiln would be slow as molasses. From what I gather, you'd be itemifying the unfired pottery being pushed in a line to the kiln, requiring you to route unfired items back to your block dispenser, so that *some* of them might make it to the kiln on the subsequent round...
ialdbaoloth

Post by ialdbaoloth »

The great randomo wrote:Unfired pottery. The reason for this is that in my auto kiln, I have a line of uncooked urns to go into the kiln. Because the hitbox is too small, they cannot push the drops along, so I have to push them out with water. Unfortunately, the urns get in the way so I end up losing 90% of my urns. :(
If Unfired pottery dropped off with water, this problem would be fixed.
That sounds like an attractive design for a kiln and I hope you can get it working. I think I would like seeing all the upcoming items lined up, rather than just stashed away in a BD.

If you are losing 90% now because another urn blocks the water, wouldn't at least half the urns be washed out uncooked with this change?
I don't like the idea of not cooking all the pottery that goes in. It seems almost by definition that any design that depended on this change
would wash some pottery out unfired, so I wouldn't use of this change in kilns (maybe for spinning pottery).

Are you interested in suggestions to make your Kiln design to work reliably with existing mechanics?
(EDIT: foogleplex already gave some good suggestions).
(I hope that's appropriate for a suggestion made because of trouble building something).
If you could leave the space in front of the Kiln clear, water could wash all the way through. Maybe you could use a sticky piston to pull the first item to the side when you want to let water in. (or to pull the sides of the kiln out of the way, and wash through in that direction).

Here are wilder ideas.
Maybe the cooked pottery would pop out in a useful direction if you used a sticky piston to squash the top of the kiln down after it was done cooking,
before pushing the next item in. Alternating solid blocks with pottery might push baked pots on through - you'd have to advance two squares at a time, and I don't know how you could get the blocks out of the way (maybe use sand, and have extra pistons push it to the side to drop onto a torch above a hopper).
Sarudak wrote:Omg pistons! That makes so much sense. I was trying to figure out how in the world someone could automate a kiln with only one block opening.
Did you see Battosay's automated pottery factory?
He made it when the Kiln needed five sides and there was no easy way to make pottery back into items! You can download a map of it.
Last edited by ialdbaoloth on Fri Dec 02, 2011 3:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
BinoAl

Post by BinoAl »

FlowerChild wrote: So yeah, screw it. I'm on a roll and cleaning house. You can join Magus Union bitching about me on the RP blog if you want some company.
I gotta say, I'm glad to finally see this happen. :)
The great randomo

Me too.
On second thoughts, I have re-designed the water flow and if water broke pottery the system would break.
Battosay

Post by Battosay »

I'd hate to see something like that added. All of my setups would be screwed.
Plus, you can just push them over a gap with a piston to turn them into item form.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Battosay wrote:I'd hate to see something like that added. All of my setups would be screwed.
Plus, you can just push them over a gap with a piston to turn them into item form.
That settles it then. It's a no go.