RTS goodness

This forum is for anything that doesn't specifically have to do with Better Than Wolves
jorgebonafe

Re: RTS goodness

Post by jorgebonafe »

RTS are cool, but so.... frantic :p people take the games way too seriously, like counting the freaking actions per minute.... I find it impossible to play them online, it takes waaay to much time to get good enough to face serious players.... In the end I just play them for fun on single player...

The C&C red alert series is my personal favorite.
Better Than Wolves was borne of anal sex. True Story.
MoRmEnGiL

Post by MoRmEnGiL »

jorgebonafe wrote:RTS are cool, but so.... frantic :p people take the games way too seriously, like counting the freaking actions per minute.... I find it impossible to play them online, it takes waaay to much time to get good enough to face serious players.... In the end I just play them for fun on single player...
Precisely my thoughts on the matter.. hehe.

Let's try starcraft multi..
...ok..Too..Much..Stress..
War..
War never changes.

Remember what the dormouse said
DaWhiskers

Post by DaWhiskers »

Ahhh StarCraft 1 Co-op mulitplayer over LAN, 2 Players sharing the same units vs 7 Random AI opponents....

What an awesome way to spend 42 hours :)
AmishGoat

Post by AmishGoat »

jorgebonafe wrote:RTS are cool, but so.... frantic :p people take the games way too seriously, like counting the freaking actions per minute.... I find it impossible to play them online, it takes waaay to much time to get good enough to face serious players.... In the end I just play them for fun on single player...

Yes, so I like to more of what DaWhiskers does, I'm for the more friendly game over the more competitive game.
DaWhiskers wrote:Ahhh StarCraft 1 Co-op mulitplayer over LAN, 2 Players sharing the same units vs 7 Random AI opponents....

42 hours? Wow, thats dedication/obsession. I'm seriously hoping this was broken up into multiple times, not all in one go right?
Trying to destroy the you with a you is futile.
grimper12341

Post by grimper12341 »

MoRmEnGiL wrote:I only hope CoH2 stands up to its name.
I google for it every week :'(
(note that a lot of google results are out of date, and when it says CoH2 it's actually talking about the opposing fronts expansion)

Grimper + Panzer Elite 4 eva <33333333
(I seriously dream about Jagdpanthers u.u)

BUT MY BLOODY STUPID UNIVERSITY WENT AND BLOCKED ONLINE PLAY FOR IT
:(

EDIT:
And that is what a ranking system and automatch is good for, you should try company of heroes :D

The company of heroes ranking system is particularly good actually, since it ranks you based on your win/loss ratio. So even if you've been playing for a long time and have a lot of wins, it won't automatch you against pros if you have an even bigger amount of losses.

Of course you will come across the occasional pro who's made a new account to try and get a perfect ratio, and automatch will team you with him and you get rolled in 2 minutes, but it doesn't happen that often.
Thalmane

Post by Thalmane »

AoE was my first RTS and it started a love for the strategy genre I thoroughly enjoy to this day, but then I discovered Alpha Centari and my new found love of TBS trumped RTS love. I still pray that Sid releases a worthy successor to that game
MoRmEnGiL

Post by MoRmEnGiL »

Thalmane wrote:I still pray that Sid releases a worthy successor to that game
AMEN bro. We need more Alpha Centauri!

I was was also a fan of turn based games way before real time strategy was even invented, and though I enjoy the occasional RTS, nothing can compare to HoMM, Masters of Orion 2, Civ, etc..
War..
War never changes.

DaveYanakov

Post by DaveYanakov »

RTS titles that focus on or require micromanagement of units have been something of a pet peeve for me. At that point it's Real Time Tactics, not strategy. Give me a game where you lay out a plan for the battle and then are limited in the changes you can make as that battle unfolds and I am a very happy man.
Better is the enemy of Good
Necropolis

Post by Necropolis »

That's the Total War series. And to be fair, if we were technical about real time strategy, it would take years to play a game. Battles generally fall well below the strategic line.
logorouge

Post by logorouge »

DaveYanakov wrote:RTS titles that focus on or require micromanagement of units have been something of a pet peeve for me. At that point it's Real Time Tactics, not strategy. Give me a game where you lay out a plan for the battle and then are limited in the changes you can make as that battle unfolds and I am a very happy man.
That's another thing I like about Supreme Commander 1: It's all about macromanagement. Controlling a large flanking maneuver is a much better use of your time than microing single units in that game. Plan carefully, give your orders and hope for the best (or prepare plan B, just in case).
Azdoine may have wrote:Well, we are harvesting souls [...] Sure, they get trapped in a piece of metal, but at least they get to see the world.
DaveYanakov

Post by DaveYanakov »

Necropolis wrote:That's the Total War series. And to be fair, if we were technical about real time strategy, it would take years to play a game. Battles generally fall well below the strategic line.
Nah. Battles presided over at the level of a regiment or so fall under strategy. Tactics is where you're working with the movement of individual squads or troops. Logistics is what covers those several day scenarios. And is a major part of games like Panzer General. Getting the troops to the right place at the right time with the right supplies.
Better is the enemy of Good
AmishGoat

Post by AmishGoat »

MoRmEnGiL wrote:
Thalmane wrote:I still pray that Sid releases a worthy successor to that game
AMEN bro. We need more Alpha Centauri!
Probably not gonna happen. Sid seems to be liking the Facebook route...
MoRmEnGiL

Post by MoRmEnGiL »

Never give up hope. Civ 5 was a big hit..
War..
War never changes.

AmishGoat

Post by AmishGoat »

Yeah. But its going the new shiny art DLC path, and I'm one of those who is of the opinion that it wasn't as good as civ 4 vanilla.
Flesh_Engine

Post by Flesh_Engine »

Civ 5 has its strong points, so does civ4; a combination of the two would be nice for the future :p

TA was excellent yet its resource model was never really considered mainstream which strikes me as odd but oh well :p
SupCom: Forged Alliance was better than vanilla imo although SupCom2 is a total crapshoot.

Dawn of War; Retribution was pretty kick ass; but that's more tactical than strategical so it's not for everyone.

Any other decent "macro" based RTS games that are pretty cool? (no real world stuff please; i already live there :()

Sword of the Stars 2 might be interesting although i'm unfamiliar with it...
"An engine of flesh can do that..." // "Man feed Machine. Machine feed Man..."
DaWhiskers

Post by DaWhiskers »

AmishGoat wrote:

Yes, so I like to more of what DaWhiskers does, I'm for the more friendly game over the more competitive game.
DaWhiskers wrote:Ahhh StarCraft 1 Co-op mulitplayer over LAN, 2 Players sharing the same units vs 7 Random AI opponents....

42 hours? Wow, thats dedication/obsession. I'm seriously hoping this was broken up into multiple times, not all in one go right?
There is no pause facility....

So yes, all in one go :D
MoRmEnGiL

Post by MoRmEnGiL »

Flesh_Engine wrote:Civ 5 has its strong points, so does civ4; a combination of the two would be nice for the future :p

TA was excellent yet its resource model was never really considered mainstream which strikes me as odd but oh well :p
SupCom: Forged Alliance was better than vanilla imo although SupCom2 is a total crapshoot.

Dawn of War; Retribution was pretty kick ass; but that's more tactical than strategical so it's not for everyone.

Any other decent "macro" based RTS games that are pretty cool? (no real world stuff please; i already live there :()

Sword of the Stars 2 might be interesting although i'm unfamiliar with it...
SoT is not really RTS, more like TB 4x with tactical real time combat (that is not focused on micro really)

I just finished my first SoT game vs an easy AI an hour ago and boy was it hard. I really had no clue though, first time playing. My verdict is the game rocks. Deceptively deep, but with some interface issues. (that research screen.. for the life of me, can't understand why they made it like that..)

I'd guess SoT2 is on the same tracks, so I cannot wait for it, hope they ironed out the rough spots.

I'm not sure they fit in your criteria but you might wanna give the Empire earth series a go, and homeworld too (especially HW2 was an amazing game)
And if you are not afraid of dosbox I can EASILY suggest Fragile Allegiance, a game I would kill for an overhaul/sequel/clone.

PS: Blood for the Blood God :P
War..
War never changes.

AmishGoat

Post by AmishGoat »

Flesh_Engine wrote:Civ 5 has its strong points, so does civ4; a combination of the two would be nice for the future :p
How do you propose they would combine? I'm guessing you'd take hex tiles from civ 5, but beyond that, what else? They are so completely different.
DaWhiskers wrote: There is no pause facility....

Wow. Thats quite something. No pause facility.
42 hours straight is very impressive sir.
Flesh_Engine

Post by Flesh_Engine »

Skulls for the skullthrone! :p

Anyways, things like;

(keep in mind it has been awhile since i played either!)

I liked the one unit on one hex thing; i hated the whole stack of doom thing.
Religion was poorly done in civ4 and i'm glad that they cut it.
Some others i forget...

:p
DaWhiskers

Post by DaWhiskers »

AmishGoat wrote:
How do you propose they would combine? I'm guessing you'd take hex tiles from civ 5, but beyond that, what else? They are so completely different.
DaWhiskers wrote: There is no pause facility....

Wow. Thats quite something. No pause facility.
42 hours straight is very impressive sir.
Thankfully as you're both controlling the same units, you can get small breaks for the toilet, the kettle, and quick snacks (not in that order preferably), and as I'm sure weall know, it's soo easy for time to get away from you when emerged in a good game.
AmishGoat

Post by AmishGoat »

Flesh_Engine wrote:Skulls for the skullthrone! :p

Anyways, things like;

(keep in mind it has been awhile since i played either!)

I liked the one unit on one hex thing; i hated the whole stack of doom thing.
Religion was poorly done in civ4 and i'm glad that they cut it.
Some others i forget...

:p
You like the 1upt? Didn't find that it was a logistics nightmare *always*, that is the one big part that I think should've been changed, I'm in favor of a soft stack mechanism. And what was your problem with religion? Because that was one of my favorite parts.

DaWhiskers wrote:Thankfully as you're both controlling the same units, you can get small breaks for the toilet, the kettle, and quick snacks (not in that order preferably), and as I'm sure weall know, it's soo easy for time to get away from you when emerged in a good game.
Ah, that probably helped. And I know exactly what you mean
grimper12341

Post by grimper12341 »

If anyone was considering getting Stronghold 3, go read their official forums first. Basically it's a giant piece of crap even worse than Stronghold 2, and those forums will tell you just how bad it is :(
http://www.fireflyworlds.com/index.php? ... t&catid=45
Flesh_Engine

Post by Flesh_Engine »

Damn, i was kinda hoping it was good :/

Oh well, guess that means more Orcs will need to Die :p
MoRmEnGiL

Post by MoRmEnGiL »

Personally I'm kinda fired up for Sword of the Stars 2 ^^
War..
War never changes.

grimper12341

Post by grimper12341 »

An honest review for Stronghold 3 if anyone is interested:
http://theunplayables.com/2011/10/i-quit-stronghold-3/

There's some idiots on metacritic giving it 10/10, but I presume they havn't actually played it yet, or it's their first RTS.