A random realization about the new animal spawning

This forum is for anything that doesn't specifically have to do with Better Than Wolves
FlowerChild
Site Admin

A random realization about the new animal spawning

Post by FlowerChild »

I just thought of something about the new perma-animals introduced in 1.8. I think this applies whether breeding is enabled or what have you:

It's no secret that creatures in Minecraft have no AI to speak of. This hasn't been a particularly bad thing IMO.

But has anyone else noticed the ring of creatures swimming frantically for their lives around any island that's been generated for awhile?

Left to their own devices, the animals have no survival instincts whatsoever. They jump off cliffs, into oceans, into lava, whatever...just like they always did.

The problem is that since they are now permanent, if left to their own devices, they will all die, meaning that if a chunk is generated and you don't tend to the animals in it, eventually it will be left barren.

Anyways, just a random observation. I don't think this new animal system was particularly well thought out. It's brought into focus a problem that was always there, but masked nicely by the animal spawns. The potential solutions aren't too pleasant either, as if the AI is changed to avoid water and such, passive animal grinders largely go out the window.
DaWhiskers

Re: A random realization about the new animal spawning

Post by DaWhiskers »

FlowerChild wrote:The problem is that since they are now permanent, if left to their own devices, they will all die, meaning that if a chunk is generated and you don't tend to the animals in it, eventually it will be left barren.
I thought someone had looked at the passive spawning code and found that passive mobs will actually spawn on existing chunks, but there were a few more caveats to it.

OK just checked the info, the caveats to passive mob spawning are as follows:
  • Check spawning routine every 20 seconds (previously was every tick or 1/20th of a second)
  • Check total passive mobs currently spawned in loaded chunks is not more >= 20
  • Only spawn passive mobs on the highest Y block of a column to prevent spawning in caves etc
*Edited with more accurate information
Last edited by DaWhiskers on Wed Oct 12, 2011 6:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Ah, ok. If that's the case it certainly makes a bit more sense. Still, the ring of animals around an island that results is rather ridiculous.
screally

Post by screally »

Can animals die if they are not in currently-loaded chunks (i.e. the border of chunks which you can see)?
M!C

Post by M!C »

screally wrote:Can animals die if they are not in currently-loaded chunks (i.e. the border of chunks which you can see)?
I don't understand you're example but animals that aren't loaded can't move/die.
Xecaquan

Post by Xecaquan »

You can also always repopulate a spawn chunk by importing animals from other areas.

On my newest server, my son and I had to do this as we executed quite a thorough genocide on all livestock in our first few nights of survival. After about 4-5 MC days we had no animals besides a few sheep. We had to go veggie for quite sometime until we had enough iron to lay some track and import new livestock from other chunks. Things are far more stable now for us.

I actually like the new spawning system as it makes you work for food as much as you have to for ore. But yes FC I do see that animals seem to be drawn to water more often than not.
screally

Post by screally »

M!C wrote:
screally wrote:Can animals die if they are not in currently-loaded chunks (i.e. the border of chunks which you can see)?
I don't understand you're example but animals that aren't loaded can't move/die.
Imagine you walk to a new chunk far away, then walk back to your base. That chunk isn't "in use" so until you go back, aren't the animals frozen in the state they were when you left it?
M!C

Post by M!C »

screally wrote:
M!C wrote:
Imagine you walk to a new chunk far away, then walk back to your base. That chunk isn't "in use" so until you go back, aren't the animals frozen in the state they were when you left it?
Yes, afaik it works that way.
Thalmane

Post by Thalmane »

Those caveats must not apply to my world then :\ I have absolutely no despawn of any passive mob. When I need hide or such I have to walk a LONG ways befor I find new mobs and usually that's sheep. On the subject of their AI though the did get one minor upgrade. Passive mobs will not enter caves. You can pull them in with a fishing rod and they will run to the neartest source of natural light
Stormweaver

Post by Stormweaver »

Thalmane wrote:Those caveats must not apply to my world then :\ I have absolutely no despawn of any passive mob. When I need hide or such I have to walk a LONG ways befor I find new mobs and usually that's sheep. On the subject of their AI though the did get one minor upgrade. Passive mobs will not enter caves. You can pull them in with a fishing rod and they will run to the neartest source of natural light
Tbh I've been wondering about thier AI for a few days now. I had a fenced off area for my chickens, and they spent all of thier time jumping at the walls. I put an extra layer of fences up, this behavior stopped...then I took out the piece I had placed over the fence gate by accident and suddenly the entrance was mobbed by jumping chickens.

Claustraphobic farm animals. ugh.
PatriotBob wrote:Damn it, I'm going to go eat pumpkin pie while I still think that it tastes good.
Brethern

Post by Brethern »

Stormweaver wrote:
Thalmane wrote:Those caveats must not apply to my world then :\ I have absolutely no despawn of any passive mob. When I need hide or such I have to walk a LONG ways befor I find new mobs and usually that's sheep. On the subject of their AI though the did get one minor upgrade. Passive mobs will not enter caves. You can pull them in with a fishing rod and they will run to the neartest source of natural light
Tbh I've been wondering about thier AI for a few days now. I had a fenced off area for my chickens, and they spent all of thier time jumping at the walls. I put an extra layer of fences up, this behavior stopped...then I took out the piece I had placed over the fence gate by accident and suddenly the entrance was mobbed by jumping chickens.

Claustraphobic farm animals. ugh.
But that's what velociraptors do when caged...
Stormweaver

Post by Stormweaver »

Brethern wrote: But that's what velociraptors do when caged...
At least if I was farming velociraptors the double fence would feel justified. I don't have a whole lot of wood yet damn it -.-
PatriotBob wrote:Damn it, I'm going to go eat pumpkin pie while I still think that it tastes good.
Brethern

Post by Brethern »

Stormweaver wrote:
At least if I was farming velociraptors the double fence would feel justified. I don't have a whole lot of wood yet damn it -.-
Could that be a adverse effect if chickens get to close to a cauldron cooking hellfire dust?
Stormweaver

Post by Stormweaver »

Brethern wrote:
Stormweaver wrote:
Could that be a adverse effect if chickens get to close to a cauldron cooking hellfire dust?
oooh, that'd be nice.
Journal entry 9: Finally I've -spoiler- and can now start making some form of real furnace. I did notice something strange though; even though I had done -spoiler- hellfire, I was still hearing strange noises. Looking around, I noticed that all of my chickens had mutated into raptors. While I'm a touch worried, that double fence seems somehow justified now. I wonder if they taste like chicken too?