Block dispencer + fishing rod = ?

If you want to get banned, this is the place to post.
MoRmEnGiL

Block dispencer + fishing rod = ?

Post by MoRmEnGiL »

I did a quick search and didn't find anything on this.

Right now the Block dispenser and the fishing rod do not interact afaik.

It would be intresting if they did. IE throwing the line when powered, and retracting it when un-powered.

The obvious use would be automated fishing, but much more interesting and fun uses would be for traps (especially in SMP if rods and players interact like rods and mobs do) and mob handing.

I really have no clue if it is easily doable, but it is an idea.
War..
War never changes.

Remember what the dormouse said
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Re: Block dispencer + fishing rod = ?

Post by FlowerChild »

The general underlying logic with the Block Dispenser is that it places blocks but does not use items. Without that, it opens up a whole can of worms like the use of bone meal (which I'm definitely never going to allow).
MoRmEnGiL

Post by MoRmEnGiL »

FlowerChild wrote:The general underlying logic with the Block Dispenser is that it places blocks but does not use items. Without that, it opens up a whole can of worms like the use of bone meal (which I'm definitely never going to allow).
Yeah hmm, you are right. The rod is pretty much harmless but you are right on the can of worms (I lold a bit. Fishing rod + can of worms = profit)
Last edited by MoRmEnGiL on Sun Oct 09, 2011 8:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.
War..
War never changes.

sargunv
Site Admin

Post by sargunv »

If you want to add a way to automate fishing, you could possibly do it with a pulley.
MoRmEnGiL

Post by MoRmEnGiL »

sargunster wrote:If you want to add a way to automate fishing, you could possibly do it with a pulley.
Eh, at the moment there is no real reason to want to automate fishing, other than having a stock for if/when they are more useful.

It was more about having fun with the other rod function ( in automated mechanisms/remotely. )

Now that I think of it you technically *could* limit it to tools only, I mean the rod is not the only tool I could live with being automated *looks at shears* or even shovels for flint farming (before you have soulsand) and buckets already do interact with the BD or am I imagining things again?
War..
War never changes.

FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

MoRmEnGiL wrote: Eh, at the moment there is no real reason to want to automate fishing, other than having a stock for if/when they are more useful.

It was more about having fun with the other rod function ( in automated mechanisms/remotely. )

Now that I think of it you technically *could* limit it to tools only, I mean the rod is not the only tool I could live with being automated *looks at shears* or even shovels for flint farming (before you have soulsand) and buckets already do interact with the BD or am I imagining things again?
Actually, you can no longer make a BD before you have soul sand since I reorganized the tech tree to put the BD in the "New Age" in the last release (and no, it can't use buckets). I'll probably be doing the same to the DB as well with this next release, as I've decided these kinds of advanced redstone gizmos are much better suited to the new tech level I'm working up to.

As for the fish...yeah, that's already on my long list of underused mechanisms in Minecraft, so unless I come up with something that makes better use of the fishing system, there's really no point on me making it easier to do/automate.

The thing is, it's rather difficult to come up with a reasonable recipe involving fish ;)
MoRmEnGiL

Post by MoRmEnGiL »

Ah, fair enough, I'm still on 1.7.3 (not a fan of terrain generator changing a lot, waiting it to be finished, plus I hate endermen) so I'm using an older version of BtW.
(And it is getting increasingly difficult to use BtW because functionality changes and I sometimes have a hard time finding information for my version,e.g. the light block recipe changed and I had no clue what the one in the version I used was.I think I'll install Risugami's recipe book)

And I think I will stick with 1.7.3 for a while. Will keep the mc jar and all mod versions for 1.7.3 around even after I update.

Oops. Off-topic.
FlowerChild wrote: I've decided these kinds of advanced redstone gizmos are much better suited to the new tech level I'm working up to.
Be careful though, some of us old players are a bit tired of vMC and when installing a mod we really want to get stuck on the new things asap ;)
FlowerChild wrote: The thing is, it's rather difficult to come up with a reasonable recipe involving fish ;)
Missed a chance with glue, hehe.
War..
War never changes.

Thalmane

Post by Thalmane »

Actually... A way to sort of half automate fishing would be to add a fish trap or make a platform placed in water for X amount of time will generate Y amount of fish when destroyed. Moving the platform with a pulley would cancel any fishing catching. First we need a use for fish beyond your basic food though :\
Necropolis

Post by Necropolis »

Mussels could grow on submerged platforms, ready to be raised. How's that for a kick-ass automated farm? It would also incorporate the platform pulley system into the tech tree a bit more, if those mussels were used for anything in BTW, rather than just a source of dye.

And as luck would have it, my most recent map made fishing mandatory. Thank God for it, because I was not getting enough skeletons on my little island to make bread viable in the early game, and I needed bonemeal for trees more, anyway. You can eat rotten meat, but those juicy sweet fish are just so much better.
Brethern

Post by Brethern »

Necropolis wrote:Mussels could grow on submerged platforms, ready to be raised. How's that for a kick-ass automated farm? It would also incorporate the platform pulley system into the tech tree a bit more, if those mussels were used for anything in BTW, rather than just a source of dye.

And as luck would have it, my most recent map made fishing mandatory. Thank God for it, because I was not getting enough skeletons on my little island to make bread viable in the early game, and I needed bonemeal for trees more, anyway. You can eat rotten meat, but those juicy sweet fish are just so much better.
Agreed, I have no pigs spawning and I don't have the bones to spare for bonemeal.
Urian

Post by Urian »

You get enough spiders to make fishing rods but not enough skeletons to make wheat (quickly enough)? Keep in mind that with a millstone you only need one wheat per bread so even without fertilizers you should get enough food, especially if you can do low-hunger activities for a little while.
FlowerChild: Ice in deserts is a good idea
Necropolis

Post by Necropolis »

Have you ever heard the proverb, "Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish, and you feed him for a lifetime?" I kill 1 spider, if I'm lucky I can get 2 silk. That's enough to get a huge amount of fish. I kill a skeleton, if I'm lucky, I can get 2 wheat. And fighting skeletons and spiders all night is not a low hunger activity.
Stormweaver

Post by Stormweaver »

Necropolis wrote: I kill a skeleton, if I'm lucky, I can get 2 wheat. And fighting skeletons and spiders all night is not a low hunger activity.
one bone = 3 bonemeal. mushroom + bonemeal = ~18 mushrooms. Slightly better than wheat at the stages in the game this would matter.
PatriotBob wrote:Damn it, I'm going to go eat pumpkin pie while I still think that it tastes good.
Magmarashi

Post by Magmarashi »

Necropolis wrote:Have you ever heard the proverb, "Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish, and you feed him for a lifetime?" I kill 1 spider, if I'm lucky I can get 2 silk. That's enough to get a huge amount of fish. I kill a skeleton, if I'm lucky, I can get 2 wheat. And fighting skeletons and spiders all night is not a low hunger activity.
I prefer "Build a man a fire, you warm him for a night. Set a man on fire, you warm him for the rest of his life"
SCIENCE!
Necropolis

Post by Necropolis »

Stormweaver wrote:one bone = 3 bonemeal. mushroom + bonemeal = ~18 mushrooms. Slightly better than wheat at the stages in the game this would matter.
This assumes I had mushrooms. Of two types.
Stormweaver

Post by Stormweaver »

Necropolis wrote:
Stormweaver wrote:one bone = 3 bonemeal. mushroom + bonemeal = ~18 mushrooms. Slightly better than wheat at the stages in the game this would matter.
This assumes I had mushrooms. Of two types.
It also assumes we're playing in 1.8. Swamp biomes are really, really common if you hadn't noticed -.-
PatriotBob wrote:Damn it, I'm going to go eat pumpkin pie while I still think that it tastes good.
screally

Post by screally »

Why are you guys all saying you need bonemeal for wheat? Standing there watching wheat grow takes no hunger, just time.
MoRmEnGiL

Post by MoRmEnGiL »

I always though bonemeal was kinda wasted on wheat when I could use it on saplings :P

Wheat grows fast enough, and you can make a huge farm that will actually keep you fed for many mc days with one harvest. Food is never a real problem in MC for me.
War..
War never changes.

Necropolis

Post by Necropolis »

Necropolis wrote:And as luck would have it, my most recent map made fishing mandatory. Thank God for it, because I was not getting enough skeletons on my little island to make bread viable in the early game, and I needed bonemeal for trees more, anyway. You can eat rotten meat, but those juicy sweet fish are just so much better.
Why is this so hard to understand that everyone seems to want to argue with it? I started a new map. I was on a small island with a single tree. There are NO friendly mobs. I have no coal readily available. Wood is initially extremely scarce. It takes 2 logs to make 4 torches, which does not cover the island, which I don't want anyway, because I need the mob drops. There are no damn swamps for miles around. There are no mushrooms. IT'S A DESERTED ISLAND. During the night I get a couple of mobs, like a single skeleton, one or two spiders, and shit tons of zombies. Fighting them deals me damage and takes stamina. Wheat takes days to grow. I could use my scarce bone meal to get a small amount of food, which would not be sufficient for my needs, or I can increase my charcoal supply to smelt the small iron deposit I found. Is there still anyone who doesn't think that going after fish wouldn't be a good idea? Maybe I can get some suggestions that I play it on creative mode, which doesn't have hunger. Oh, I know! I could sit out in my expensive little dinghy for days on end waiting for the wheat to grow! That's fun!

And no. I did not have 1.8 BTW installed yet, because it didn't exist yet. So no millstone. Which takes stone. Which needs to be cooked. With my incredibly scarce charcoal.

The entire point, which is being missed here, is that fish have a purpose, and there are situations in which they are important. If that's so difficult to accept, lay off it and go bug someone else.
MoRmEnGiL

Post by MoRmEnGiL »

Fish are the most readily available food source actually, as long as you have a rod and some water you have an infinite supply of fish. No need for animals to spawn or something to grow.

It is just that fishing is very boring and cannot be automated at all, and aside weird circumstances like yours, other food sources are easier/more practical to use.

EDIT: How did this turn into a fishing debate? O_o (Ironically fishing was not what I had in mind when this thought occurred to me,hehe.) Maybe a split is in order?
War..
War never changes.