Clay filter for producing stackable water

If you want to get banned, this is the place to post.
DaveYanakov

Clay filter for producing stackable water

Post by DaveYanakov »

tl;dr New filter items makes stackable buckets without having to touch the bucket class or provide the player with a stack of 64 water source blocks at a time.

I had a thought this morning while repairing the dam of the pond about the interactions between water and clay. Googling the subject brought up baked clay filters producing clean water when baked over dung fires or adding 'organic matter' to inferior clay. Well, I thought to myself, we have both available!

Clay could be mixed with dung to produce a variant of unfired pottery that would result in a non-block item usable as a hopper filter. Causing water to run over the top of a hopper so filtered would fill urns with pure water rather than souls. Add foul food or bone meal to the aqua pura urns and you get enriched water suitable for turning a stack of planters and dirt into a working farm. Alternately, purified water can be quite handy in chemistry and further steps alomg the tech tree.
Better is the enemy of Good
PuppetRebel

Re: Clay filter for producing stackable water

Post by PuppetRebel »

I really like where this idea is going.
I think all we would need though is a new consumable filter that uses dirt in it's recipe, I'm not sure what else would go into it. You put pots in the hopper and every 4 or so that become a planter you would use up the filter. Similar to the new soul urn.
DaveYanakov

Post by DaveYanakov »

Consumable filters have been discussed before and shot down quite firmly. They will not be happening.
Better is the enemy of Good
PuppetRebel

Post by PuppetRebel »

Ah. I didn't know that.
Stormweaver

Post by Stormweaver »

Hmm...it could go one simpler though.

Clay block, or similar as a hopper filter. so long as water's running over the top, any clay balls in the hopper's inventory slowly become...wet clay balls (saturated clay balls?) which can be used in place of the water bucket in planters. or can be included with an empty bucket in recipes that require a water bucket, to simulate a water bucket.
PatriotBob wrote:Damn it, I'm going to go eat pumpkin pie while I still think that it tastes good.