Seeds in Millstone -> Flour or Seeds in Cauldron -> Bulgur

If you want to get banned, this is the place to post.
WarChicken

Seeds in Millstone -> Flour or Seeds in Cauldron -> Bulgur

Post by WarChicken »

Hey there FlowerChild.

As I'm enjoying your current version of the mod I stumbled across something that bugged me in Minecraft in general.
When you're gathering your seeds for crops in the beginning, it's vital, that you get more than one seed per tile of harvested wheat, but once you have your fields planted, you're producing an excess, that you either keep hoarding until your chests burst or trow it away. That bugged me, since seeds are valuable.

Now I thought, that wheat seeds could be processed in the millstone to flour as well. I'd even take lots of it - like 4 or 8 seeds for one flour. Just to not let them go awaste.
On the other hand, in the middle east (I think) wheat is served in a similar way as rice - cooked. It's called Bulgur then, if I'm right. That could be done in the cauldron.

I'd love to see one or even both of theese options in BTW and hope you like the idea.

Also, if you have an idea what one can do with hemp seeds (exept smoking perhaps) I'd love to see a secondary use for them as well, since they share the fate of Wheat once the fields are full.

Cheers,
WarChicken
PuppetRebel

Re: Seeds in Millstone -> Flour or Seeds in Cauldron -> Bulg

Post by PuppetRebel »

Sure it makes sense, it's something that CAN be done, but you don't really justify WHY. Also, make sure you read the rules.
1) Use descriptive titles that sum up your idea in a few words (such as "Horse Driven Carriage"). Threads without descriptive titles will be ignored and/or locked.

2) Post ONE idea per thread. DO NOT post threads that contain a whole whack of ideas that can not be summed up under rule number 1.

3) Do NOT post ideas whose sole purpose is to give a "useless" item another use. Suggest features, NOT recipes for those features.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Yeah, the trail-off in the effectiveness of seeds is something that's been bugging me as well, but I don't think creating a new food item is the answer.

The problem is that food itself becomes an oversaturated resource at a certain point, hence the rendering functionality built into the cauldron.
Battosay

Post by Battosay »

Yeah, it's been bugging me for a while now. I don't know what to do with my several dozen chests of hemp seeds.
And, as you might know, I never throw anything. The only idea I had was 64 seeds into 1 glue, but I never thought it was worth a new suggestion topic. But I'll post it here, just in case ;)
Agreed though that there's enough food already.
Seeds into flour could be nice too, and wouldn't need a new food item. But it should be more though, like 32 for 1 flour. Dunno.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Even rendering down into glue presents the same problem as there just aren't enough uses for glue in the mod yet to justify it. As a result, it just kind of offsets the problem and turns it into another one :)

I'm going through the same thought process with rotten flesh right now.
Battosay

Post by Battosay »

Maybe it's just me using my pickaxes too quickly, but I was always short on glue to make new hafts ^^
And besides bones, glue is only made of animal by-products, which are more rare in 1.8 (no breeding yet, and no more passive mobtraps).
Runesmith

Post by Runesmith »

Well, with animal breeding in 1.9, there is a potential outlet for excess seeds being used for animal feed. Seeds would obviously be less effective in inducing "love mode" than wheat. I don't know how everyone would think of that in terms of messing around with the new code for that.
"First immortality... then the bitches."
Urian

Post by Urian »

The vMC changes in 1.9 could potentially open up some new uses. As Runesmith said, being able to feed them to animals in order to get them to breed would be one idea. Another could be to have them be used in some alchemy recipe - perhaps not as a main ingredient but rather as something similar to glowstone and redstone that affects the potion effects (increase potency, increase time, other thing)
FlowerChild: Ice in deserts is a good idea
WarChicken

Post by WarChicken »

I guess all you guys are right.
There's plenty of food around already. But still, there has to be something useful to be made out of it. And if it's just Chicken food, once 1.9 will be out...

@PuppetRebel: Maybe it would have been better to call the thread "new use for seeds". I hope it's clear, that I'm not going for "plox make this and that".
I really don't want to be stuffed in the same category as the "OMG Update now!!!!11oneeleven" posters ;)
Magmarashi

Post by Magmarashi »

WarChicken wrote:I guess all you guys are right.
There's plenty of food around already. But still, there has to be something useful to be made out of it. And if it's just Chicken food, once 1.9 will be out...

@PuppetRebel: Maybe it would have been better to call the thread "new use for seeds". I hope it's clear, that I'm not going for "plox make this and that".
I really don't want to be stuffed in the same category as the "OMG Update now!!!!11oneeleven" posters ;)

I've wondered for a while why excess plant matter couldn't be combined with bonemeal and water and converted slowly over time into compost. Well, other then the obvious "There is already bonemeal and foul food what more could you want?"

Maybe rename foul food to straight-up compost and let dung turn cauldren'd plant items into it as well as food? Eh..even I'm not too solid on that idea.

Keeping the compost angle but dropping the renaming foul food bit, Compost applied to a plot of soil before planting could count as hydrating the plot so you could grow a plant or two away from water? Still, most people automate the collection process with water so that wouldn't be as useful as it could be.

Maybe hemp would be further complicated by requiring a composted spot of soil to grow? Is that even possible?

There is also the point of fungus being attracted to rotting plant matter...

ITP: I ramble about plants
SCIENCE!
Stormweaver

Post by Stormweaver »

WarChicken wrote: @PuppetRebel: Maybe it would have been better to call the thread "new use for seeds". I hope it's clear, that I'm not going for "plox make this and that".
Well, it's either be stuffed in said, catagory, or break the rules that states no threads about adding uses to items because they have no uses ^.^

but ok. Adding it as some form of animal feed would be nice. You only ever need so many of them for dispenser clocks >.<
PatriotBob wrote:Damn it, I'm going to go eat pumpkin pie while I still think that it tastes good.
JRoush

Post by JRoush »

Magmarashi wrote:I've wondered for a while why excess plant matter couldn't be combined with bonemeal and water and converted slowly over time into compost.
I actually just started a thread to that effect, after reading this one. I guess "great" minds think alike :).
sargunv
Site Admin

Post by sargunv »

Perhaps feed seeds to chickens to temporarily increase egg production speed? That way we could have a dispenser drop seeds on a chicken every minute to maximize the efficiency of egg farms. (Similar to pork on wolves)
PatrickSJ

Post by PatrickSJ »

Perhaps seeds can be used to make oils for 1.9 potions?
Triskelli

Post by Triskelli »

Just throwing this out there, but maybe we can grind down seeds in the mill (Or some yet-to-be-introduced block) and make Seed Oil? Granted, that's more in preparation of more advanced machines and is of dubious use...

But not without precedent! Before modern oil refining, a bunch of different kinds of oils coming from natural sources were used in roles we associate with the stuff today. For example, whale oil was used in lamps and lanterns. More relevant to the topic though, is the use of palm oil for lubricating machines...

Ah! Here we go, some plant-based oils include:

---Linseed, or "flax seed" oil. It can be used to make oil-based paints, putty, wood finish, or linoleum.
---Rapeseed Oil, notable for its name if nothing else. It could be used as lantern fuel, but machinists found that rapeseed oil clung to water or steam-washed surfaces better than other lubricants, and was in high demand during WWII.
---Palm Oil, which was widely used during the Industrial Revolution as a lubricant for steam engines and other machines. It also remains a key ingredient to the creation of bar soap. Additionally, when combined with naphtha, (a bi-product of petroleum, coal tar, or peat), palm oil can be used to make napalm(!).

Wait, holy crap? Naphtha & Palm oil... Well, with the recent fire nerfs it'll be nice to see a way to restore the "Burn Down the Entire Goddamn World" aspect of flame to Minecraft. =D

Hmm, here's an interesting one:

---Pumpkin Seed Oil apparently ranks among the substances with the highest "dichromatism", meaning that depending on how light is shined through it, it appears to be either dark red or dark green in color. Not sure how that'd be useful, but it's definitely a noteworthy property.
---Corn oil, made from... corn. It's been used in making soap, salves, paint, rustproofing, inks, textiles, insecticides, and even nitroglycerin. And we all know that nitroglycerin + clay + fuse = dynamite, which we can thank for funding the Nobel Peace prizes.
---Colza oil, another relative of rapeseed that is predominately used as a lubricant and lantern fuel, and was even used in some lighthouses.

---Castor Oil, derived from the castor bean. It has a wide range of industrial applications all the way from A to W. Waxes, lubricants, adhesives, dyes, lacquers, paints, greases, machining oil, rubber, leather treatments, and laxatives.

Hey! I think we've found a way to get more dung!
Spoiler
Show
And since I have these pages on edible fats and oils open, here's a few more tidbits:

Lard can be used for machine-cutting metal.
Tallow is yet another effective lubricant for early engines and machines, used up until the 1950's
WarChicken

Post by WarChicken »

Wow, Triskelli.
There's a lot of ideas to draw from, but I guess, lubrication is what tallow might be for in later updates.

But the alternate Explosive idea might be worth a shot. Alas not before at least steam power has been introduced (for the 'age' reasoning - not for the steam itself.
It's a far more delicate process to to nitrate glycerine than just mixing up sulphur, niter and coal (Or the remains of creepers with sand, that is...).

@Stormweaver. Yes. I should have thought about it. My mind was still in the Minecraftforum topic OP, where FC said, that if the idea is good and easy to implement, he will consider it. Sorry 'bout that.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Triskelli wrote: which was widely used during the Industrial Revolution as a lubricant for steam engines and other machines. It also remains a key ingredient to the creation of bar soap. Additionally, when combined with naphtha, (a bi-product of petroleum, coal tar, or peat), palm oil can be used to make napalm(!).
Lol! Awesome man!

I'll put that right into the tech-tree immediately following the B-52 crafting-recipe I have planned :)
Magmarashi

Post by Magmarashi »

FlowerChild wrote:
Triskelli wrote: which was widely used during the Industrial Revolution as a lubricant for steam engines and other machines. It also remains a key ingredient to the creation of bar soap. Additionally, when combined with naphtha, (a bi-product of petroleum, coal tar, or peat), palm oil can be used to make napalm(!).
Lol! Awesome man!

I'll put that right into the tech-tree immediately following the B-52 crafting-recipe I have planned :)
Better Than Call of Duty?
SCIENCE!
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Magmarashi wrote:Better Than Call of Duty?
Nah, I'd need to pick a particular feature to be better than...

Better Than Iron Sights?

Nah...I like iron sights...

Hmmmm...glad the Call of Duty series isn't open to modding :)
Husbag3

Post by Husbag3 »

FlowerChild wrote:
Lol! Awesome man!

Is that sarcasm or real? I don't know if B-52s will fit in any time soon....
If the minecraft world is infinite, why does the sun still rotate around it?
Thyphon

Post by Thyphon »

Triskelli wrote:Just throwing this out there, but maybe we can grind down seeds in the mill (Or some yet-to-be-introduced block) and make Seed Oil?
Perhaps that oil can be combined with some cloth/fiber on a stick and flint and steel to make fire sticks that you can throw at someone and it will set them on fire.

next thing should then be pitchforks and we can have ourselfs a peasant revolt :D

edit. Of cause we need some peasants but thats another problem :P
Last edited by Thyphon on Sat Oct 08, 2011 2:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Husbag3 wrote: Is that sarcasm or real? I don't know if B-52s will fit in any time soon....
I almost had to issue you a warning for having to ask :)
Urian

Post by Urian »

FlowerChild wrote:
Husbag3 wrote: Is that sarcasm or real? I don't know if B-52s will fit in any time soon....
I almost had to issue you a warning for having to ask :)
You should definitely add B-52s! It's the logical next step as soon as you've added Grand Marnier, Irish Cream and Kahlua!
FlowerChild: Ice in deserts is a good idea
KriiEiter

Post by KriiEiter »

"Suet /ˈsuːɨt/ is raw beef or mutton fat, especially the hard fat found around the loins and kidneys."

"Bird feed is commonly used in the form of cakes of suet, which can be made with other solid fats, such as lard. Rolled oats, bird seed, cornmeal, raisins, and unsalted nuts are often incorporated into the suet cakes."

So perhaps we could have a suet block that would stimulate chicken growth? Or something else of the sort. Could be one possible use for excess seeds.
DaveYanakov

Post by DaveYanakov »

perhaps some form of fuel oil could be used as an alternative to bellows for stoked flame. It would need to be a very high consumption rate. 64 hemp seeds worth of oil for 8 seconds of burn time or less.
Better is the enemy of Good