Cannot make steel in BTW 2.96

If you're having problems with your installation of Better Than Wolves, or if you've woken up in the future and are beginning to doubt the nature of reality, here's the place to post about it.
Dark_Tundra

Cannot make steel in BTW 2.96

Post by Dark_Tundra »

I have 3 parts Iron Ingot, with 1 part Concentrated Hellfire, and 1 part Carbon Powder; in a Crucible over several stoked Hibachi; but I'm not getting any steel.
I have emptied and refilled the crucible; I have removed and replaced the Crucible; I have reinstalled BTW in a new clean minecraft.jar.
I have: Minecraft 1.8.1; Modloader Beta 1.8.1; Forge 1.1.1; and Better Than Wolves 2.96.

I would think that if this was a bug, more people than myself would have mentioned noticing by now; so it is likely something I have overlooked or broken.

Is anyone able to help?

EDIT: It seems someone on the Minecraft Forums is having the same problem, can anyone verify that steel making is working in BTW 2.96? If not this thread may have to be moved to Bug Reports.
demo141

Re: Cannot make steel in BTW 2.96

Post by demo141 »

im haveing this issu to... Bug or resepy change?
Battosay

Post by Battosay »

Confirmed.
Moved to Bug report.
Devalish

Post by Devalish »

Have you tried adding a soul urn? because Steel was renamed to SoulSteel.
Can't try this myself, as i have to go out in a bit.
Any post or reply from me is based on the knowledge and thought patterns relative to my mind; they are subjective.
I don't deal in absolutes as I believe in learning. My every action is a result of calculation and choice.
demo141

Post by demo141 »

confermd soul urn makes it work
TheGuy

Post by TheGuy »

Recipe for steel was updated to http://sargunster.com/btw/index.php?title=Steel . It doesn't require Concentrated Hellfire anymore since it's required for the Hibachi.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Yeah, sorry guys, I really need to update the OP on the MC forums for the new recipes, but I will unfortunately be able to do so today. I thought the name-change of the Steel, which actually didn't take place, but which was listed in the change log, would be enough of a hint as to the recipe change :)
Battosay

Post by Battosay »

Yeah, I missed that line on the changelog, and since it was not displaying ingame, I thought of a bug too.
Now the recycling aspect of steel is much more interesting, given how "harder" it gets to make it with each new release :)

As for the OP on the MCF, I just made a new Update vid, should be uploaded in half an hour :)
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Battosay wrote:Yeah, I missed that line on the changelog, and since it was not displaying ingame, I thought of a bug too.
Now the recycling aspect of steel is much more interesting, given how "harder" it gets to make it with each new release :)

As for the OP on the MCF, I just made a new Update vid, should be uploaded in half an hour :)
Nice. Let me know soon as it's up and I'll include it in the OP. I'm going out tonight so I don't have time to do the full update, but changing a link is definitely doable :)

Yeah, this was pretty much how I intended Steel from the start, I just had to take the time to get the full process in there. I was actually thinking it would be a much bigger pain in the ass to get the souls into the Urns in the Hopper (since there's no crafting code built into the Hopper), but it turned out to just be a 10 minute job in the end given all the general-purpose crafting routines I already have written. The biggest part of the job turned out to just be doing the 3D model for the unfired Urn, and even that was pretty quick.

Like I mentioned in another thread, I think that'll be the end of my tweaks to the process of creating Steel. I may move the Detector Block again in the tech-tree and make it part of the New Age (similar to what I just did to the BD), but otherwise, I think I'm happy with the tech progression now and can move onto other things...

Oh yeah, I may move cement too :)