Melon Farming

This forum is for anything that doesn't specifically have to do with Better Than Wolves
Mason11987

Melon Farming

Post by Mason11987 »

Fracture mentioned in another thread that Melons can be harvest AFK withour requiring replowing between growth. I was going to just PM him but I figured I'd start a new thread unless anyone had any input on this.

Is this possible? If so, how?
M!C

Re: Melon Farming

Post by M!C »

I think you're question was answered in said other thread.
ilovekintoki

Post by ilovekintoki »

Taking the limitation of needing farmsoil in consideration, the best thing I can think up is cycling a ring of soil with pistons. Given a large number of farmsoil, this should at least keep you going for a long time. Please note that this is all theorymon and as such I don't know if the wiring is feasible.
M!C

Post by M!C »

ilovekintoki wrote:Taking the limitation of needing farmsoil in consideration, the best thing I can think up is cycling a ring of soil with pistons. Given a large number of farmsoil, this should at least keep you going for a long time. Please note that this is all theorymon and as such I don't know if the wiring is feasible.
Or use planters once they're available.
Battosay

Post by Battosay »

ilovekintoki wrote:Taking the limitation of needing farmsoil in consideration, the best thing I can think up is cycling a ring of soil with pistons. Given a large number of farmsoil, this should at least keep you going for a long time. Please note that this is all theorymon and as such I don't know if the wiring is feasible.
Yeah, it works :)
That's what I used in my test world, along with a BUD (cf Etho's vids ^^), and it works like a charm :)
ilovekintoki

Post by ilovekintoki »

Awesome. How efficient is it in terms of melon slices lost per round, would you reckon? I might be interested to build one myself, sounds like a fun project.
Battosay

Post by Battosay »

No idea, I had no hopper to collect them ^^
But, from some very quick manual testing (cheating the melon block and placing it) I'd say you'll get 80-90%
ilovekintoki

Post by ilovekintoki »

Cool, I'll start the construction when I get some spare time.
M!C wrote:
Or use planters once they're available.
Yup, that works too. I think it should be easy to convert the vMC version to an automated BTW version, just have to replace the soil with planters. Won't even need the ring that way.
Fracture

Post by Fracture »

Only place where I've witnessed melons growing on dirt is SMP, so in retrospect it's likely a bug.
Abracadabra, you're an idiot.