[Spoilers] Extra hardcore nothing to worry about BTW V4.A3

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
Mason11987

[Spoilers] Extra hardcore nothing to worry about BTW V4.A3

Post by Mason11987 »

In the release thread, FC said
-Added a couple of additional factors to not worry about. In particular, you should be entirely unconcerned when performing activities that might result in loose tormented and likely deranged souls meandering about, especially if you have high level villagers nearby whose well-being you are totally chill about. You will totally not at all painfully face palm at the realization of how obvious a danger this doesn't represent if you just breath deeply, relax about the whole thing, and go about your business as if I hadn't said anything. This should not be misinterpreted as some kind of warning, as really, there's always been nothing to worry about. I have no idea why you're making such a big deal about this and I refuse to humor your dysfunction any longer.
Any ideas on what this could mean?

I just had my two cows I painstakingly brought to my base breed for the first time and... it did not work out. I know for certain they were never near any portal. I had wolves that starved before dying, but they were 20-30 blocks from the cows in the worst case, and they didn't seem possessed when they died.

The cows are closeish to my netherrack grinding, near a wall of my base, and near where I filter souls into soul urns. Could any of those be a factor?

Unfortunately I also murdered my cows, forgetting it spreads, and soon realized my two captured sheep were pushing against the top of the pen, so I just let them float away with the possession, which while sad was fitting I think.

Any theories?
MisterFister

Re: [Spoilers] Extra hardcore nothing to worry about BTW V4.

Post by MisterFister »

Mason11987 wrote:In the release thread, FC said
-Added a couple of additional factors to not worry about. In particular, you should be entirely unconcerned when performing activities that might result in loose tormented and likely deranged souls meandering about, especially if you have high level villagers nearby whose well-being you are totally chill about. You will totally not at all painfully face palm at the realization of how obvious a danger this doesn't represent if you just breath deeply, relax about the whole thing, and go about your business as if I hadn't said anything. This should not be misinterpreted as some kind of warning, as really, there's always been nothing to worry about. I have no idea why you're making such a big deal about this and I refuse to humor your dysfunction any longer.
Any ideas on what this could mean?

I just had my two cows I painstakingly brought to my base breed for the first time and... it did not work out. I know for certain they were never near any portal. I had wolves that starved before dying, but they were 20-30 blocks from the cows in the worst case, and they didn't seem possessed when they died.

The cows are closeish to my netherrack grinding, near a wall of my base, and near where I filter souls into soul urns. Could any of those be a factor?

Unfortunately I also murdered my cows, forgetting it spreads, and soon realized my two captured sheep were pushing against the top of the pen, so I just let them float away with the possession, which while sad was fitting I think.

Any theories?

Help us understand the layout, the distances involved between all of the things you mentioned.

There was a cryptic reference in one of FC's screenies to a new block being experimented with (likely many, with the kiloblock extensions.) Perhaps more than proximity (beacons can be global) we need to worry about some kind of shielding? Like lead to keep out radiation?
I consume a lot of YouTube. Some of what I consume is actually pretty good.
Zhil

Post by Zhil »

No need to get into conspiracy theories MisterFister, the release notes are quite clear to me. Either grinding netherrack or throwing ground netherrack onto a hopper causes corruption.

The unanswered questions in the second case:
- Does the corruption happen if you catch the souls in an urn?
- Is the corruption exactly the same as portal corruption?
Come join us at Vioki's Discord! discord.gg/fhMK5kx
Mason11987

Post by Mason11987 »

exactly 9 blocks lie between the soul sand filter hopper and a block above the cow pen. Exactly 3 blocks exist between that block and the floor of the cow pen.

So... potentially 12, possibly 11 depending on the exact position of the cow in the pen, when I filter.
dawnraider

Post by dawnraider »

I gathered from the release notes that filtering souls without an urn would corrupt animals nearby. I haven't done any testing on this so I may be wrong but that's my initial thought.
Come join us on discord! https://discord.gg/fhMK5kx
Get the Deco Addon here!
Get the Better Terrain Addon here!
Get the Vanilla Mix TP here!
Get the Conquest TP here!
MisterFister

Post by MisterFister »

I'm wondering if this is incentive to relocate some of our traditional workshop flow (netherrack grinding / soul urn production) into the nether itself. (Edit: I did not intend to imply that this change were made with the explicit GOAL of incentivizing moving some mechanized production to a netherbase, but simply an emergent side effect.)

I vaguely recall that this train of thought has been trod before, with issues of chunk-loading back home to allow for crops and livestock to grow.

It's still the case that certain chunks back at Original Spawn remain perma-loaded at all times, regardless of player location, yes? *To the devnotes!*
I consume a lot of YouTube. Some of what I consume is actually pretty good.
ion

Post by ion »

dawnraider wrote:I gathered from the release notes that filtering souls without an urn would corrupt animals nearby. I haven't done any testing on this so I may be wrong but that's my initial thought.
wasn't this always in the BTW?
Zhil

Post by Zhil »

ion wrote:wasn't this always in the BTW?
Nope, nether portal + corruption spreading when sick animals die, but now it seems like that oversight has been fixed :)
Come join us at Vioki's Discord! discord.gg/fhMK5kx
ion

Post by ion »

and there i was building my soulurn bottling factories far away from my animals and villagers from when FC added the nether portal corruption. at least i'm safe now