String/rope/hemp fibers in place of feathers for arrows

If you want to get banned, this is the place to post.
DaveYanakov

String/rope/hemp fibers in place of feathers for arrows

Post by DaveYanakov »

Feathers can be very difficult to come by these days and it can take a long time to get a chicken farm up and running. String/yarn/frayed rope has been used in the past as a way to stabilize the flight of arrows in the past and could provide a more easily renewable way to produce basic arrows. Such a thing might require a different arrow variant as they would be less accurate and thus have a shorter range and/or lower damage value. Broadhead arrows would still require proper fletching, of course.
Better is the enemy of Good
BigShinyToys

Re: String/rope/hemp fibers in place of feathers for arrows

Post by BigShinyToys »

chickens are kinda rare now but we have yet to see mojangs breading system yet. but for now a low cost low acurasy arrow would come in handy.
DaveYanakov

Post by DaveYanakov »

A rope per four arrows would actually be a pretty high cost. It's a tradeoff for being able to make arrows without having to gather up a few dozen eggs first so you don't run out of chicken.
Better is the enemy of Good
Rugaard

Post by Rugaard »

don't see how hemp can be used but historically copper has been used for fletching, if FC does add a recipe for basic arrows he can use one of the vMC metals or steel for the fletching
Stormweaver

Post by Stormweaver »

wouldn't the added effort of making a chicken farm in the first place be the offset for the relatively OP bow system anyway? Even more so now, since fewer arrows are wasted per enemy.
PatriotBob wrote:Damn it, I'm going to go eat pumpkin pie while I still think that it tastes good.
cjrg

Post by cjrg »

i think your right feathers are pretty hard to obtain. maybe having hemp/rope be replaced for feathers would be more convenient.I also agree that they should have less distance maybe 15-20 meters. since FC already made the broad head arrow it seems like a good idea to have a sort of Econo-arrow.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

I'm unlikely to make any radical changes here until I see what the animal-breeding system is like in 1.9. I don't want to start patching temporary holes in the design for no good reason.
echo off

Post by echo off »

fair enough. at least for now we can just run our egg based chicken farms :)
is it just me or does the whole modding community seem to be holding the hats on waiting for the game to once again resemble some sort of completed project. stupid mojang, seems in all the excitement they forgot what makes minecraft actually worth playing long term... the mods! but then i suppose it's only a few months off, and they did promise that the completed MC would have superior support for the modding community. lets just hope that doesn't turn into yet another failed project.
Battosay

Post by Battosay »

Interesting. But untill 1.9 and the breeding system is added, I think we should wait to see how things goes.
echo off

Post by echo off »

on a sidenote for animals, it's been confirmed that they do still respawn... just much, much, much more rarely. i've run some my own tests and this thread seems accurate:
http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/639 ... n-updated/