Really nice explanation of mushroom growth and farming.

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
Panda

Really nice explanation of mushroom growth and farming.

Post by Panda »

Enough said its really helped me.

Never say no to Panda.
RalphKastro

Re: Really nice explanation of mushroom growth and farming.

Post by RalphKastro »

why is this in Off-topic?
it's fairly relevant to better than wolves, since the growth mechanics are the same(AFAIK) and mushrooms are also important there
Panda

Post by Panda »

Just being cautious :3
Never say no to Panda.
Mason11987

Post by Mason11987 »

I'm not able to watch the video at the moment. Is that a two wide gap or a three wide gap between mushrooms. I'm using a two and it's not great right now.
Gunnerman21

Post by Gunnerman21 »

It's a 4 wide gap. The video has all the information about mushrooms youll need.
Spoiler
Show
I am... THE TAXI MAN.
Rob

Post by Rob »

I've seen that video somewhere before. But it definitely helps to know the mechanics behind mushroom growth.
Mason11987 wrote:I'm not able to watch the video at the moment. Is that a two wide gap or a three wide gap between mushrooms. I'm using a two and it's not great right now.
The concept to remember is that mushrooms won't spread if there is more than 5 mushrooms of the same type in a 9wide x 9length x 3height area of the mushroom that is spawning. So best practice is to place the seed mushrooms 4-5 spaces apart and remove newly grown mushrooms regularly.
sargunv
Site Admin

Post by sargunv »

I'll go ahead and move this to Discussion.
SterlingRed

Post by SterlingRed »

Rob wrote: The concept to remember is that mushrooms won't spread if there is more than 5 mushrooms of the same type in a 9wide x 9length x 3height area of the mushroom that is spawning. So best practice is to place the seed mushrooms 4-5 spaces apart and remove newly grown mushrooms regularly.
You actually don't want to remove new mushrooms right away because new mushrooms will also start trying to spawn more which means for a given seed mushroom one more mushroom in the 9x9 area doubles the spawn attempt rate at the cost of a possible spawn location. Obviously letting it go all they way to the saturation of 5 where you are no longer allowing any more growth is bad for efficiency. I don't know what the optimal harvest time is but it's something I suggest people test for their own farm.
myrkana

Post by myrkana »

I don't think theres really an optimal harvest time for these because mushroom growth is so random xD you could pop up 4 in a minute or 1 in 4 minutes.
Rawr :D
SterlingRed

Post by SterlingRed »

myrkana wrote:I don't think theres really an optimal harvest time for these because mushroom growth is so random xD you could pop up 4 in a minute or 1 in 4 minutes.
For each individual mushroom, you're right. But for a fixed area there is an optimal point. Let's say I have a farm with 25 'seed' mushrooms. The 25 mushrooms will give me a certain average rate of growth. However after say 10 new ones grow, that average will change because now I have 35 mushrooms trying to spread in that space. At some point the area will be too saturated with mushrooms though so that the failure rate of spawn attempts will be worse than it was when I started. The optimal point for a farm will be to harvest right after the farm reaches the point where the average spawn rate is worse than the spawn rate at the beginning.