Mobile Games

This forum is for anything that doesn't specifically have to do with Better Than Wolves
BinoAl

Mobile Games

Post by BinoAl »

So, I've been playing a lot of phone games lately. Are there any you guys recommend?

I've personally been hooked on a lot of the Puzzle/RPG hybrids, the big ones are Dungeon Raid, Ten Million, Block Legend, and Pixel Defenders Puzzle. There's also a neat little sim called Game Dev Story. Also, if you've got an iPod Touch/iPhone, there's a pair of fun rpg/dual stick shooter hybrids called Solomon's Boneyard and Solomon's Keep, both of which I spent countless hours playing back when I had an iPod touch.
DemonButter

Re: Mobile Games

Post by DemonButter »

Hoplite is a pretty darn good mobile game. https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... ss.hoplite
BinoAl

Post by BinoAl »

DemonButter wrote:Hoplite is a pretty darn good mobile game. https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... ss.hoplite
Huh, that looks interesting. While I've seen plenty of hex-based strategy games, I can't say I've seen a roguelike use them. I'll have to give this a try
Zhil

Post by Zhil »

Smiles is always my suggestion. Here's what happens if a proper game designer makes a game for his mom (true story) :)

http://www.smileshd.com/
Come join us at Vioki's Discord! discord.gg/fhMK5kx
BinoAl

Post by BinoAl »

Gilberreke wrote:Smiles is always my suggestion. Here's what happens if a proper game designer makes a game for his mom (true story) :)

http://www.smileshd.com/
Heh, I actually bought that right after I interviewed PoV for that paper I had to write way back when... It's an addicting little game :)
William the tuba

Post by William the tuba »

I've been playing a lot of Ridiculous Fishing, by the same guys who did Luftrausers. Before that, Threes, (which came before 2048--2048 is a clone of 1024, which is a clone of Threes), and before that Hundreds (partly by the guy who made Canabalt). To be honest, however, I've dumped the most time into Super Hexagon out of every game here.

There's also Nethack available for android, which is the first thing I think of when people say "roguelike".
(@Will on the discord)
Parents of young, organic life forms are warned that towels can be harmful if swallowed in large quantities.
DemonButter

Post by DemonButter »

Hoplite, I believe would fare better in the situations where you would like to use your phone for entertainment. But that does depend on who you are.
DaveYanakov

Post by DaveYanakov »

Out There is a sort of FTL text adventure that I have gotten my money out of
Better is the enemy of Good
Rob

Post by Rob »

Following links on games posted in this thread has lead me to Pixel Dungeon. I don't quite understand how the game works yet.. lol. But I'm enjoying the journey so far.
BinoAl

Post by BinoAl »

Rob wrote:Following links on games posted in this thread has lead me to Pixel Dungeon. I don't quite understand how the game works yet.. lol. But I'm enjoying the journey so far.
I've actually seen that one, and almost grabbed it, but it didn't look too special. I'm interested to know what you think of it once you play some more :)
weldaSB

Post by weldaSB »

BinoAl wrote:
Rob wrote:Following links on games posted in this thread has lead me to Pixel Dungeon. I don't quite understand how the game works yet.. lol. But I'm enjoying the journey so far.
I've actually seen that one, and almost grabbed it, but it didn't look too special. I'm interested to know what you think of it once you play some more :)
I have to say that pixel dungeon is well worth the install. I have not had a lot of experience with roguelikes, but I am loving the experience so far. I would definitely recommend it.

Back to the OP's question. While these are not usually the genres this forum enjoys, I am having a lot of fun with clash of clans and bloons tower defense. I game on my phone only casually, and these games are perfect for a casual player.
MoRmEnGiL: In the grand scheme of things, if you hate pickles in your burger, you can always remove them and go on.
Rob

Post by Rob »

BinoAl wrote:
Okay, after a few days of really playing it, here are my impressions. Levels 1-4 are an RNG nightmare. Dying is very easy, and will happen a lot. I only managed to get past the first boss on level 5 once. And then levels 6-15 were too easy. Everything drops health potions. The second boss on level 10(11?) was cake with all the potions I got from the previous floors. I intimately got to the 3rd boss and died because I inscribed my chest plate two floors earlier and got 'affection' which charms the monster that hits you AND yourself.. causing you to not be able to melee attack for several turns. Which ate up all of my health potions from free damage.

I also can not for the life of me figure out how to use those cauldrons you throw seeds into.
BinoAl

Post by BinoAl »

weldaSB wrote: Back to the OP's question. While these are not usually the genres this forum enjoys, I am having a lot of fun with clash of clans and bloons tower defense. I game on my phone only casually, and these games are perfect for a casual player.
BTD has always been a personal favorite series of mine. Aside from the stuff with MOABs, BFBs, and to an extent, Ceramics, the whole finite-state thing they've got going on is really nice. It forces interesting upgrade paths, rather than the generic "+Damage, +Range, or +Speed" shit every other tower defense game seems to do. That said, I'm only really a big fan of the first 3, after them, the whole game became about setting up for the endgame, where it is just taking out the big dart-sponges.
Rob

Post by Rob »

Dungeon 18 is free and very addictive. Easy to learn, hard to master.
BinoAl

Post by BinoAl »

Rob wrote:Dungeon 18 is free and very addictive. Easy to learn, hard to master.
Huh, that looks pretty interesting, I'll have to give it a try.
Gunnerman21

Post by Gunnerman21 »

Astro Empires is a 24/7 real time text based game that runs on both computers and phones. It's pretty good at being your "other" game, something you check on between more fast paced games. It's great if you have lots of patience (when construction/research queues can take days to finish). There's also a nice guild community if you find the right one, and after a couple restarts you can really get the hang of it.
Spoiler
Show
I am... THE TAXI MAN.