Don't shoot me for saying, "more clay"

If you want to get banned, this is the place to post.
TheWereWa11y

Don't shoot me for saying, "more clay"

Post by TheWereWa11y »

Best solution is just to assume FlowerChild is smarter than you. If your idea seems obvious to you, Flower has already thought of it and either dismissed it or it's in the works.
Im going against that and saying the main use for clay which is bricks should be use more as a building material but because clay is so hard to find it is being replaced by cobble which looks awful especialy when entire towns are made out of the same dull grey stone.

I think altering the map generater to include more clay would would be more realistic as clay is found almost every where and has been used as a building material thousands of years.

If it was thought neccesary you could change the crafting recipe to possibly:

B B B - - - B=Bricks
B B B - - - Because 3x3 is the usualy formation for recipes making a block out of 1
B B B - - - Material.

or

B B B - - - 0=Air
B 0 B - - - Because it uses exactly twice as many bricks as before and...
B B B - - - bricks have holes in them?

also I think to be more efficient placing a raw clay block into the kiln or maybe into the crucible could turn it straight into a brick block saving clay and fuel.
TheWereWa11y

Re: Don't shoot me for saying, "more clay"

Post by TheWereWa11y »

If you'd like your idea to be considered, don't waste my time with potential recipes associated with your idea. Recipes are ridiculously easy to come up with, and devoting half a post to them just makes me want to move on to another post.
oops
Should have read the rules first.
Battosay

Post by Battosay »

Try the seed "FlowerChild", and go look around x -20 / z -200, I started a world last week there, and in my first day I had found over 6 stacks of clay block ;)
And I think FC doesn't want to alter the worldgen.
Urian

Post by Urian »

The estimated release date of patch 1.8 is in four days and since 1.8 will completely change the way the world gen works. Perhaps there will be more clay then but even if that's not the case, you can usually find clay quite easily by following the coast line (and remember to also check the shallow parts of the water).
FlowerChild: Ice in deserts is a good idea
Stormweaver

Post by Stormweaver »

Using F5 to look underwater is normally the fastest way to find clay....but it's still damned rare when it wants to be :|

I recommend phoenixterrain, if you want to play around with the map generator. It has an option for clay swamps, which gives you a lake almost entirely bordered by clay deposits. Not to mention all the other awesome things you can generate with it.
PatriotBob wrote:Damn it, I'm going to go eat pumpkin pie while I still think that it tastes good.
Lighthouse

Post by Lighthouse »

Best way to solve this problem is using Clay Sieve.... one of few balanced mod out there.
PuppetRebel

Post by PuppetRebel »

Lighthouse wrote:Best way to solve this problem is using Clay Sieve.... one of few balanced mod out there.
Nice! This or the clay deposit one (for a new world) is just brilliant. I have the worst luck with clay.
TheWereWa11y

Post by TheWereWa11y »

I just think its a shame that you just see hundreds of brick fire places instead of whole houses being made out of bricks
Deepsniper

Post by Deepsniper »

Or you could ask one of us nicely, or make a mod yourself that adds a small little recipe that makes clay balls... Actually I have one back home If you don't mind waiting about 5-6 hours I can post it if you want....
PatrickSJ

Post by PatrickSJ »

I use the ClayLayer mod http://www.mediafire.com/?gpox8dhpvl55oc9. It creates a layer of clay around 59-61. Shallow but wide layers scattered. You'll find it around dirt/water areas.
Stormweaver

Post by Stormweaver »

PatrickSJ wrote:I use the ClayLayer mod snipped to save another edit later. It creates a layer of clay around 59-61. Shallow but wide layers scattered. You'll find it around dirt/water areas.
I think it's preferred if you link to it's thread, not the download. You know being polite to the modder and all that jazz.
PatriotBob wrote:Damn it, I'm going to go eat pumpkin pie while I still think that it tastes good.
echo off

Post by echo off »

i've heard 1.8 has alot more clay generation. they say look in the swamps, but i'm yet to confirm that.
PuppetRebel

Post by PuppetRebel »

There is A LOT more clay. Doesn't seem to be just in the swamp either.
Mrchaim

Post by Mrchaim »

echo off wrote:i've heard 1.8 has alot more clay generation. they say look in the swamps, but i'm yet to confirm that.
Clay's now found in lakes in swamp biomes. It's pretty common to find, which is rather nice. I'm not sure on other biomes - i've been spending most of my time underground.
gftweek

Post by gftweek »

It's in rivers too, and possibly some lakes.
grimper12341

Post by grimper12341 »

Mrchaim wrote:
echo off wrote:i've heard 1.8 has alot more clay generation. they say look in the swamps, but i'm yet to confirm that.
Clay's now found in lakes in swamp biomes. It's pretty common to find, which is rather nice. I'm not sure on other biomes - i've been spending most of my time underground.
gftweek wrote:It's in rivers too, and possibly some lakes.
Guys, its freaking *everywhere*

No way we are ever going to be running short on bricks again :D
muggsbud

Post by muggsbud »

if it means anything i found that the bottoms of oceans have lots of clay deposits. hard to get to, but really plentiful; i mean like coal plentiful.
Deepsniper

Post by Deepsniper »

Till then I have posted some mods of mine including one that lets you make clay on another forum. Attached is a link. http://madmodding.x10.bz/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=69

Hope you guys like it.
echo off

Post by echo off »

rofl wow, they really did add a lot more. on my current seed, "whoresome" i filled my entire inventory with clay in about 20 minutes. that was before i knew about the furnace bug though... was an interesting few hours XD
Deepsniper

Post by Deepsniper »

Furnace bug?
darahalian

Post by darahalian »

Deepsniper wrote:Furnace bug?
Yeah, in the pre-release version of 1.8, minecraft would sometimes crash when the furnace became lit or unlit under certain circumstances, I think. I never experienced it myself, so I'm just going off of what I heard.
FlowerChild wrote:Remain ever vigilant against the groth menace my friends. Early detection is crucial in avoiding a full-blown groth epidemic.
echo off

Post by echo off »

^^ exactly. not sure exactly what the conditions were, but occasionally the furnace wouldn't revert back to an unlit furnace when it ran out of fuel, and would continue to create light. and eventually, minecraft would "save chunks" and crash. one of the many little bugs that was quickly fixed.