Blight: Peoples experience with it. [SPOILERS]

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Re: Blight: Peoples experience with it. [SPOILERS]

Post by FlowerChild »

Dale wrote:Eh.. Fyi, the haha noob was for saying blight didnt ruin a world unless it was mature. Obviously we had different opinions on what ruining a world meant.
Yes...and I will again remind people that SMP is not the primary mode of play of BTW. As such, you were representing the stance of someone playing an optional mode of play, whereas the description given was quite accurate for the SSP experience.
ion

Post by ion »

Spoiler
Show
and my world was not ruined at all, worked hard, made containment dams and removed the thread. and it was a level 2 blight nearly becoming lvl 3
Rob

Post by Rob »

ion wrote:
Spoiler
Show
and my world was not ruined at all, worked hard, made containment dams and removed the thread. and it was a level 2 blight nearly becoming lvl 3
Thank you for posting that pic Ion. I've only ever seen it once on PK's server, underground. Blight might be a nuisance to some, but that landscape it creates and the structures you'd need to build to contain it are what Minecraft is all about. It's like a Steve-made biome, modeled after his own twisted heart, consuming everything in it's path. Awesome job on that feature design, FC.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Rob wrote:Awesome job on that feature design, FC.
Thanks! I've got one little touch of polish left for it that I've been meaning to get to for a long while now which I think will put the cherry on the cake ;)
Rob

Post by Rob »

FlowerChild wrote:Thanks! I've got one little touch of polish left for it that I've been meaning to get to for a long while now which I think will put the cherry on the cake ;)
Two block high weeds confirmed, next BTW update. ;-P
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Rob wrote: Two block high weeds confirmed, next BTW update. ;-P
Two block high weed has been in the mod for a very long time man :)
Rob

Post by Rob »

FlowerChild wrote:Two block high weed has been in the mod for a very long time man :)
Wow, I set myself up for that one. lol

Any hints at the cherry? Or would that be telling? :-P
Spoiler
Show
I kinda thought blight would be a little more menacing, maybe loosening spawn rules. Or something devious like that. Not a Suggestion. Don't hate me. :'(
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Nah, that would be telling :)

It's just a little detail, not even really gameplay related man. Like I said, just the cherry on the cake.

You'll know it when you see it ;)
Dorugami

Post by Dorugami »

FlowerChild wrote:Nah, that would be telling :)

It's just a little detail, not even really gameplay related man. Like I said, just the cherry on the cake.

I don't think my heart can take any more of this...the forums here are becoming one big unbearable teaser to 5.0 Dx
I'm looking forward to it though, as well as the other changes and polishes you're planning, but I think I'll lengthen the gaps between my forum visits. :)
Better Than Wolves isn't a Mod. It's a Lifestyle.
Dale

Post by Dale »

Dorugami wrote:
FlowerChild wrote:Nah, that would be telling :)

I don't think my heart can take any more of this...the forums here are becoming one big unbearable teaser to 5.0 Dx
I'm looking forward to it though, as well as the other changes and polishes you're planning, but I think I'll lengthen the gaps between my forum visits. :)
Nah 5.0? More like "Better Than Wolves version 9.9!"
But yeah, mature blight is on the same level to me as non mature blight as far as its just not that much more devious than stage one. Now throw in teeth to the stuff and we have an interesting mechanic!
DaveYanakov "Animals spawn in tall grass because pokemans"...
erikdk321

Post by erikdk321 »

So... this happened...
Spoiler
Show
I made a border around the infected area but missed one block which spread out to the nearest ocean, i have no idea how to stop it now so im thinking of making a very very long trench that it wont ever get past.
Thanks FC, for designing blight like you did, it really felt good to try and keep the infection away :) Just like the old days of terraria
Last edited by erikdk321 on Mon Dec 16, 2013 11:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rob

Post by Rob »

Wow, stage 3 blight. Looks menacing. I like it. Grab tons of cobble and spam a 1 high wall like crazy until you encircle it. I'd recommend trapping the jungle within the wall as well. Collateral damage and all that. :P

Note, can you put the picture, and all future pictures, in a spoiler.
erikdk321

Post by erikdk321 »

Oops forgot about that, fixed!
Its actually stage 4 blight and building a wall wont do any good, it can spread through dirt and not only grass
ion

Post by ion »

tnt the hell out of that place
erikdk321

Post by erikdk321 »

Well, right after it happened i grapped my 8 tnt, but that didn't work out, and i didnt have the resources and the time to get more :/ And now its too late due to it being in the ocean.
Dale

Post by Dale »

erikdk321 wrote:Well, right after it happened i grapped my 8 tnt, but that didn't work out, and i didnt have the resources and the time to get more :/ And now its too late due to it being in the ocean.
*place i told you so comment here* ;)
Rob

Post by Rob »

erikdk321 wrote:Oops forgot about that, fixed!
Its actually stage 4 blight and building a wall wont do any good, it can spread through dirt and not only grass
First. How did it get to stage 4? I don't see a portal anywhere in the area of that screenshot.

EDIT: Nevermind, I took a closer look, and I do see the portal. I imagine you wanted level 4 blight on purpose. And thus, deserve the future headache of containing it. You don't see a lava pool, water pool and portal and think to yourself. A SFS beacon would go nicely right here.

Why do some individuals just leave their nether portal out in the open like that anyway? Especially, with that nothing to worry about aspect of them. They should be put in a palace, treated like royalty, far away from any dirt.
Dale wrote:*place i told you so comment here* ;)
Second, Dale, you're "I told you so." is invalid. Your previous argument was about how stage 1 blight ruins worlds. And it doesn't. If you have stage 4 blight, you did it to yourself. And beating it requires carving out a trench to bedrock, or to a depth you think is viable with no dirt below it. all around the problem. Which might take a long time. But is still do-able. Just make sure you are digging in chucks that aren't loaded with blight.
erikdk321

Post by erikdk321 »

Well, i wanted the blight for sure, so i placed the portal and played TF2 for about 2 minutes, came back and by then it was already too late xD
I know i deserved it and i regret all the things xD
Dale

Post by Dale »

Rob wrote:
erikdk321 wrote:Oops forgot about that, fixed!
First. How did it get to stage 4? I don't see a portal anywhere in the area of that screenshot.

EDIT: Nevermind, I took a closer look, and I do see the portal. I imagine you wanted level 4 blight on purpose. And thus, deserve the future headache of containing it. You don't see a lava pool, water pool and portal and think to yourself. A SFS beacon would go nicely right here.

Why do some individuals just leave their nether portal out in the open like that anyway? Especially, with that nothing to worry about aspect of them. They should be put in a palace, treated like royalty, far away from any dirt.
Dale wrote:*place i told you so comment here* ;)
Second, Dale, you're "I told you so." is invalid. Your previous argument was about how stage 1 blight ruins worlds. And it doesn't. If you have stage 4 blight, you did it to yourself. And beating it requires carving out a trench to bedrock, or to a depth you think is viable with no dirt below it. all around the problem. Which might take a long time. But is still do-able. Just make sure you are digging in chucks that aren't loaded with blight.
Rob, you sir have the invalid statement here as that was directed at erik who I talked to on skype before his ordeal. So in fact and with all validity my statement was valid. ;)
Dorugami

Post by Dorugami »

erikdk321 wrote:Does anyone know if higher tier sfs beacons have higher chances to spawn blight?
I've only managed to observe the lowest and highest tier beacons and there are only two things I can assume atm.
Spoiler
Show
After 5 tests with 5 sets of two beacons:

Blight will spawn on the highest tier beacon within 32 hours, minimum 20
Blight does not spawn on a low tier beacon after being in a loaded chunk for nearly 3 days playtime

EDIT: Also, being dead near a beacon without respawning also counts as that chunk being active and will spawn blight eventually. Methinks it can be used as a no-loss way of spawning blight provided you can leave the program on for long enough, seems cheaty though. (Tested on an old version of BTW)
Better Than Wolves isn't a Mod. It's a Lifestyle.
jkievlan

Post by jkievlan »

erikdk321 wrote:Well, i wanted the blight for sure, so i placed the portal and played TF2 for about 2 minutes, came back and by then it was already too late xD
I know i deserved it and i regret all the things xD
Yeah, if you want to create blight (or for that matter, even just an SFS beacon), you have to plan for it. When you build your portal, block in a sizable area around it for stage 1 blight only. Once you've got stage 1 blight, mine a block of it and take it to another location with lava and an obsidian portal. Before you plant it, make sure you've protected that area fully so it can't spread beyond your little experimental space. Then plant it and let it turn into mature blight.

My point is, don't just create an SFS beacon in the wild and then go away and come back later to see what happened. You might not like what happened :)

EDIT: The other way to be really careful is to make sure you don't put an obsidian portal anywhere that blight can get to it. Then, you can just let the stuff run wild and it won't turn into mature blight until you're ready for it.
erikdk321

Post by erikdk321 »

I didnt create the beacon in the wild, i had it in my base and the moment it spawned blight i picked it up and moved it.
the_fodder

Post by the_fodder »

So I have been playing around with blight in a test world, I can't thing of a good reason to let it get to level 5. The only 'good' use would be to clear out a jungle you don't care about or griefing a server.

What am I missing?
It's FC mod, he just lets us play it.
Gormador

Post by Gormador »

the_fodder wrote:So I have been playing around with blight in a test world, I can't thing of a good reason to let it get to level 5. The only 'good' use would be to clear out a jungle you don't care about or griefing a server.

What am I missing?
Who knows ? There may be a special use for it ...
FlowerChild wrote:If you have a suggestion, I recommend that it have pure manna from heaven flowing forth from its vagina to warrant posting it at this point in time.
jkievlan

Post by jkievlan »

the_fodder wrote:So I have been playing around with blight in a test world, I can't thing of a good reason to let it get to level 5. The only 'good' use would be to clear out a jungle you don't care about or griefing a server.

What am I missing?
If you eat it you get really high. Try it.