Blight: Peoples experience with it. [SPOILERS]

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
Dreambolt

Re: Blight: Peoples experience with it. [SPOILERS]

Post by Dreambolt »

Lol so I'm reading all this blissfully unaware of blights existence because I keep my portals locked away and I paved my main base long ago. This is hilarious too me in a scary way.
dawnraider

Post by dawnraider »

Portals have nothing to do with blight, apart from being the first step towards its creation tech-wise. There is no reason past aesthetics to lock up a portal. It does nothing. There isn't anything to worry about.
Come join us on discord! https://discord.gg/fhMK5kx
Get the Deco Addon here!
Get the Better Terrain Addon here!
Get the Vanilla Mix TP here!
Get the Conquest TP here!
Foxy Boxes

Post by Foxy Boxes »

dawnraider wrote:Portals have nothing to do with blight, apart from being the first step towards its creation tech-wise. There is no reason past aesthetics to lock up a portal. It does nothing. There isn't anything to worry about.
Not sure if unaware... or trolling...
On the internet you can be whatever you want. It's surprising so many people choose to be stupid.
Dale

Re: Blight: Peoples experience with it.

Post by Dale »

DNoved1 wrote:
Dale wrote:Stuff
*stuff*
*.. it can't spread beyond that. You can always prevent further spread, by constructing a barrier.*

**...I don't really see why that's a reason to throw away an entire world.**

***my opinion.**
*It can spread towards you, no clue why youd think I was talking about the unloaded chunks.
**I do not either, I am not the one who did. Although I would strongly avoid its eventual spread. And ban the cause, on my server its a rule.
***You have stated such.
DaveYanakov "Animals spawn in tall grass because pokemans"...
Dreambolt

Post by Dreambolt »

dawnraider we all know portals are evil awful creations which bend the laws of all that is good and sane, they should be locked up and worships as per protocol. Ideally high up in ornate structures.
Dorugami

Post by Dorugami »

DNoved1 wrote:Blight kills leaves up to a certain height from the ground, leaving the stumps behind.
And logs? Tell me it's logs. I want to decimate a jungle biome.
Better Than Wolves isn't a Mod. It's a Lifestyle.
Katalliaan

Post by Katalliaan »

Dorugami wrote:
DNoved1 wrote:Blight kills leaves up to a certain height from the ground, leaving the stumps behind.
Logs are left behind.
Open in case of fire
Spoiler
Show
Not now stupid - in case of fire
Dorugami

Post by Dorugami »

Katalliaan wrote:
Dorugami wrote:
Logs are left behind.
Thanks a lot for killing my dreams. I guess it's better than nothing I suppose.
Better Than Wolves isn't a Mod. It's a Lifestyle.
Foxy Boxes

Post by Foxy Boxes »

Dorugami wrote:
Katalliaan wrote:
Dorugami wrote:
Logs are left behind.
Thanks a lot for killing my dreams. I guess it's better than nothing I suppose.
I still looks decimated, what with no leaves, just logs and a sickly yellow grass.
On the internet you can be whatever you want. It's surprising so many people choose to be stupid.
Dale

Re: Blight: Peoples experience with it.

Post by Dale »

jkievlan wrote:
Dale wrote:Yeah comments like this are just flaming, It wasn't my server. In fact I was the one on the server who spotted it. So here's an example based on a true story.
Spoiler
Show
You build an SFS beacon. It spawns blight, you log out. People keep the map loaded being on the edge of loaded chunks. You log in and see blight everywhere. Nuff said.
I can see how blight might become a problem on a SMP server if a player creates it and the others simply ignore it. My worlds are all SSP and I pay attention to that sort of stuff :) But...really? If your SMP players are ignoring blight and letting it run wild, I'd say you need to kick some idiots out of the server. Doesn't change the fact that if you *are* paying attention, you can easily control it.
No one was ignoring it, like ive said by the time it was noticed it was far beyond the point of walling off, pouring water on it, ect. Also I didn't have the power to kick/ban anyone I was just a player on someone else server at the time. And last but not least, *if* it is on the edge of your loaded chunk how are you supposed to pay attention to it till it reaches your general area? You can't.
ion

Post by ion »

once i made a SFS beacon and AFK for a night. blight spawned and got spreading in my world and i was able to clear it after a half day of hard work. it was "fun". i don't see any problem on a server and only one to blame is the maker of the SFS beacon, don't blame other that try and play the game without knowing what you did. communicate with other is the key.
Rob

Post by Rob »

From the way it's worded on the wiki. Wouldn't you have to purposefully screw yourself for blight to get out of hand? It can't traverse vertically until it touches water(source), then lava(source) and THEN a portal. I don't know about most of your worlds, but 9 times out of 10 it will only ever meet a water source. So a wall is not impossible to create. If blight truly did take over a large portion of your server, make the wall just outside the loaded chunk distance. And make new walls as you 'beat' it back and reclaim the landscape. It is a wonderful server event come to think of it. And if you leave the walls intact it will add a focal point for stories to be told of past battles. Band together and fight back the infection as a team. Isn't that why you are playing together anyway? Banning someone for not knowing any better is a little extreme. And scrapping a whole server because a few dozen chunks are covered in an infection you can cure with time is also silly.

I've never combated blight, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.

Please correct me if I'm wrong. But I would actually enjoy the chance to reclaim a level 1/2 blight infection. Leaving a small section walled off to show the 'struggle' never ended.
JakeZKAM

Post by JakeZKAM »

Rob wrote:From the way it's worded on the wiki. Wouldn't you have to purposefully screw yourself for blight to get out of hand? It can't traverse vertically until it touches water(source), then lava(source) and THEN a portal. I don't know about most of your worlds, but 9 times out of 10 it will only ever meet a water source. So a wall is not impossible to create. If blight truly did take over a large portion of your server, make the wall just outside the loaded chunk distance. And make new walls as you 'beat' it back and reclaim the landscape. It is a wonderful server event come to think of it. And if you leave the walls intact it will add a focal point for stories to be told of past battles. Band together and fight back the infection as a team. Isn't that why you are playing together anyway? Banning someone for not knowing any better is a little extreme. And scrapping a whole server because a few dozen chunks are covered in an infection you can cure with time is also silly.

Please correct me if I'm wrong. But I would actually enjoy the chance to reclaim a level 1/2 blight infection. Leaving a small section walled off to show the 'struggle' never ended.

We've had Blight infections on PK's server before (not to mention that spawn island is absolutely infested with the stuff) which isn't too much of a pain in the ass. The chances of it becoming mature? Slim to none, although that does make me want to release some mature Blight in my own world eventually just for kicks. atmosphere ,and an awesome quest if I decide to get rid of it later. ;)
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Rob wrote: I've never combated blight, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.
Lol. Nice :)
jkievlan

Post by jkievlan »

Rob wrote:I've never combated blight, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.
And Rob wins the thread. Well played, sir.
dawnraider

Post by dawnraider »

Foxy Boxes wrote:
dawnraider wrote:Portals have nothing to do with blight, apart from being the first step towards its creation tech-wise. There is no reason past aesthetics to lock up a portal. It does nothing. There isn't anything to worry about.
Not sure if unaware... or trolling...
Well, I was only talking about its original creation. I wasn't thinking about the other stuff, but I should have specified that.
Come join us on discord! https://discord.gg/fhMK5kx
Get the Deco Addon here!
Get the Better Terrain Addon here!
Get the Vanilla Mix TP here!
Get the Conquest TP here!
Dale

Post by Dale »

Rob wrote:Wouldn't you have to purposefully screw yourself for blight to get out of hand?
No.
If blight truly did take over a large portion of your server,
Wasn't my server, I am sure I made that point multiple times.
make the wall just outside the loaded chunk distance. And make new walls as you 'beat' it back and reclaim the landscape.
This is pretty much saying "deal with it". Which I would have done.
Banning someone for not knowing any better is a little extreme.
If someone applys to my server I expect them to know the rules, a rule is no wild blight. So how could they not know better?
And scrapping a whole server because a few dozen chunks are covered in an infection you can cure with time is also silly.
Again, I am not the one who scrapped the server. And it was spreading faster than I could stop it to begin with.

Interesting.

Rob

Post by Rob »

Dale wrote:
Spoiler
Show
Rob wrote:Wouldn't you have to purposefully screw yourself for blight to get out of hand?
No.
If blight truly did take over a large portion of your server,
Wasn't my server, I am sure I made that point multiple times.
make the wall just outside the loaded chunk distance. And make new walls as you 'beat' it back and reclaim the landscape.
This is pretty much saying "deal with it". Which I would have done.
Banning someone for not knowing any better is a little extreme.
If someone applys to my server I expect them to know the rules, a rule is no wild blight. So how could they not know better?
And scrapping a whole server because a few dozen chunks are covered in an infection you can cure with time is also silly.
Again, I am not the one who scrapped the server. And it was spreading faster than I could stop it to begin with.

Interesting.

Dale, my original comment was only directed at you in the fact that, a blight infection can be dealt with, in a fun and engaging server wide event. Mainly, because I noticed you are always trying to create participation on the servers you play on. The rest was more of a general comment to the situation of blight and blight control. "Deal with it" might be harsh, but what else has BTW, and FC, taught us to do, if not deal with problems that arise? A blight infection that only reaches level 2 is nothing to get upset about. It's a fun distraction that forces socializing events on servers that are all to solo minded with a chat system(my experience). Blight doesn't ruin the game, or the world. Players' attitude towards it is to blame in that regard.
Off topic
Show
Blood wood is treated with the same ill attitude with a lot of players as well.
Zhil

Post by Zhil »

Dale, I really wonder what you're trying to accomplish here.

You seem to like heavily restricted servers where it's not allowed to plant bloodwood or groth and where blight spread is a bannable offense. That's just fine, if you like to play that way, but if that was the intended way of playing, then why would FC put those features in the game?

Some food for thought?
Come join us at Vioki's Discord! discord.gg/fhMK5kx
Dale

Post by Dale »

Gilberreke wrote:Dale, I really wonder what you're trying to accomplish here.

You seem to like heavily restricted servers where it's not allowed to plant bloodwood or groth and where blight spread is a bannable offense. That's just fine, if you like to play that way, but if that was the intended way of playing, then why would FC put those features in the game?

Some food for thought?
I disagree with your heavy words, and feel a general stoning from even posting here so far. Heavily restricted is just bull, its a voted on rule that won by a landslide. Im tired of defending it really, main point was aesthetics to begin with. So paint me a bad guy if you want but you are wrong in every way. Anyways I feel like all I would be doing in the future of this thread is defending myself from half thought out comments from people who seem to have an abundant supply of molotovs. Regardless, my general statement on blight is it is more fun when controlled. Hell I could easily say that the intended way of playing is to netherize all livestock and not control that either just because "FC put those features in the game" so it must be the "intended way of playing" by your logic.
icynewyear

Post by icynewyear »

....How did this go from a thread on blight to a fight about rules on specific servers? Can we just stop?
Thanks.
Zhil

Post by Zhil »

Dale wrote:rant
Why is that in reply to my post? I'm not attacking you :/

I just said that FC put those features in for a reason and that it's weird that you try to advocate not making use of them. That's my only post in this thread.

You make it sound as though "they" are out to get you. Can I suggest some tinfoil brands? :D
Come join us at Vioki's Discord! discord.gg/fhMK5kx
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Dale wrote: I disagree with your heavy words, and feel a general stoning from even posting here so far.
Honestly, I think that started when you started calling people noobs for accurately describing how blight works :P

Guys, please take it down a notch. Thread lock imminent.
Rob

Post by Rob »

I'm not sure much more can be said about blight at his point. There are obviously strong feelings about it. It's ultimately up to the player to control the infection if and when it happens. I hope the opponents and advocates of blight have helped you understand how you want to approach it in your own world, Ramzax.
Dale

Post by Dale »

FlowerChild wrote:
Dale wrote: I disagree with your heavy words, and feel a general stoning from even posting here so far.
Honestly, I think that started when you started calling people noobs for accurately describing how blight works :P

Guys, please take it down a notch. Thread lock imminent.
Eh.. Fyi, the haha noob was for saying blight didnt ruin a world unless it was mature. Obviously we had different opinions on what ruining a world meant.