Blaze rods, slime balls, and fire resist potions

The place to talk about how BTW might be different
Sarudak
Site Admin

Blaze rods, slime balls, and fire resist potions

Post by Sarudak »

I just wanted to mention how I always felt it was a bit off how fire resist potions are so important for the nether and to make those you need magma cream. So you would think that you would want to hunt magma cubes for that. But so many times I kill a large magma cube and all it's babies and don't even get a single magma cream but when I kill slimes I get oodles and oodles of slime balls combine that with an easy recipe to creat magma cream from blaze powder and slime balls and it means that magma cubes are more or less worthless which I think is sad because it's a relatively interesting endeavor to find them and then keep track of the limited locations that they spawn at.
Fret

Re: Blaze rods, slime balls, and fire resist potions

Post by Fret »

Well, the cool thing about blazes and slimes is: 1. you can build a farm for it, so yeay for building and 2. blaze rods and slimeballs have other uses. So the current system feels like pretty rewarding gameplay to me. Yeah, the magma cubes are kind of useless, but the current system works. Overhaul for the sake of magma cubes? Pls no.

Conserning the fire resistance, I really like that you have to face the blazes atleast once without it.
dawnraider

Post by dawnraider »

The magma cream drop definitely feel like a half-assed feature, and makes hunting slimes (and therefore facing witches in BTW) and facing that first blaze unnecessary (and detrimental). It definitely feels off that gameplay like that can be mostly bypassed.

EDIT: Removed unnecessary fluff.
Come join us on discord! https://discord.gg/fhMK5kx
Get the Deco Addon here!
Get the Better Terrain Addon here!
Get the Vanilla Mix TP here!
Get the Conquest TP here!
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Well, if the only thing people have left to complain about is magma cubes, I guess I'm doing something right :)

I'll run a background process on it and mull it over a bit. Obviously not a priority as it doesn't significantly impact balance, but the kind of thing I might be willing to tweak slightly later.