Terraria PC update apparently in the works, due Mayish.

This forum is for anything that doesn't specifically have to do with Better Than Wolves
Psion

Re: Terraria PC update apparently in the works, due Mayish.

Post by Psion »

There is a way to pause. alt + tab to switch to a different window will pause the game until you switch back. If, on the other hand, you want the game to keep running (such as waiting out a night cowering in a shelter) while you browse the web, just click the terraria.... window/tab/bar thingie on the windows bar. You know, those things that appear whenever you open a program. <.< Do that and your game will minimize, but you will still hear sound/music playing, and the input still affects the game too. So uh, don't have your star cannon selected, or your web browsings going to result in you firing off a bunch of ammo, lol.
warmist

Post by warmist »

Also news: Terraria 2 will happen

Source: http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013/10 ... announced/
logorouge

Post by logorouge »

"I’d say this is probably gonna be the last seven-month update [to the original],” he chuckled. “But there’s a lot of stuff that I didn’t have the time to put into this one. For instance, there’s no final endgame boss. So I plan on, within the next month or two, finishing the endgame progression. I also have some ideas for a Halloween update I’d like to do too. I think people will get a kick out of that. So there might be a few more updates, maybe three or four months out."
So, more updates coming up, eh? That's gonna make quite a few people happy. Thanks for the link, warmist.
Azdoine may have wrote:Well, we are harvesting souls [...] Sure, they get trapped in a piece of metal, but at least they get to see the world.
BinoAl

Post by BinoAl »

warmist wrote:Also news: Terraria 2 will happen

Huh. I hope it will be more, for lack of a better term, balanced. Having more thoughtful progression (Not just gear-wise) would make Terraria a lot better, imo. Like with how it was mentioned Grappling Hooks made most other transportation useless
Six

Post by Six »

BinoAl wrote:
warmist wrote:Also news: Terraria 2 will happen

Huh. I hope it will be more, for lack of a better term, balanced. Having more thoughtful progression (Not just gear-wise) would make Terraria a lot better, imo. Like with how it was mentioned Grappling Hooks made most other transportation useless
Yeah, I've always seen Re-Digit as being really good at coding in specific elements that work really well (double jumps, wall slides, wall jumping, grappling hooks, interesting and different AI on enemies, etc), but his overall design has never seemed too focused or directed to me. More just "Let's add this and this and this and this".

Although as I am playing a bit further in, I think he has at least worked out a form of progression beyond the whole "Mine the next ore to make the pick to be able to mine the next ore". I'll be interested to see what other details are now worked into 'hard-mode' once you get past the wall of flesh, and it does give me hope that he might be able to make something a bit meatier after all this experience if he starts from scratch.
TheGreatIntelligence

Post by TheGreatIntelligence »

Thordan Ssoa wrote:The autopause is an option, and always has been. They've just set it to default to off now.
...Thats interesting...
Saaaaaandviiich.. Saaaaandviiich....
BinoAl

Post by BinoAl »

So, in 1.2, there were some neat developer items added in. There were several Outfits/Wings, such as Red's Wings, Cenx's Tiara, etc. Me and a few other admins on the server I've been playing on decided to give ourselves Red's Wings (Infinite flight + Sprinting + Neat effect) and a developer outfit. Turns out, in that recent patch, one of the changes was that wearing any of the developer items causes you to catch fire and be all but unable to move. Redigit, you cheeky bastard :)
topguy

Post by topguy »

Thordan Ssoa wrote:The autopause is an option, and always has been. They've just set it to default to off now.
It was set on by default for me oddly enough.

---

I have to say, the new Terraria update makes the game easier. This is what I found so far: I got the grappling hook really early in the game (After my first mining trip) using a gem to make it. 5 Fallen stars for 1 Mana stars, really there is no need in this, it was perfect before. Shadewood is extremely strong for some reason, making strong weapons easy to get early game. Mini-Map is in the way of the screen, and makes finding things to easy (I turn the damn thing off). Topaz Wand is crazy strong. You start out with mana (20).

It is also annoying: Gravity potion flips screen, making it much more difficult to use, and glitches the character. The new textures for old mobs/blocks are now terrible (Zombies, Ebonstone, etc.)

But there are some good things: New Music is great (My favorite being the snow biome one so far). New biomes are awesome. Mining was hard before, but they added some things to spice it up even more(Spider Creepers in giant spider dens). Etc....

Yeah. I think Terraria got boring after this update. They could of done much better.
Gunnerman21

Post by Gunnerman21 »

I'm calling it the "Pretty Easy" update, cause they made it pretty, and they made it easy. But I still die a lot, idk what you guys are doing but I still think the difficulty is balanced, what with new threats and such. I've already died twice to cave spiders...
Spoiler
Show
I am... THE TAXI MAN.
Six

Post by Six »

Yeah, I've been dying a whole lot since I triggered 'hard mode', and a fair bit before that too.

Rather than easier, I'd say simpler (sometimes even at the detriment of gameplay). As has been stated, along with the content came lots of convenience functions, like other ways to obtain grappling hooks, some blocks stacking to much higher numbers and all the tool changes to name a few. It's still balls hard later in the game and my survivability isn't helped by my computer tanking when there are too many particle effects on the screen (i.e. always).
logorouge

Post by logorouge »

Well, despite all my efforts, Terraria still updated automatically. Damn.
But then I launched the game from Tconfig and discovered I could still play my modded 1.1.2 Terraria for some reason. Cool!
Azdoine may have wrote:Well, we are harvesting souls [...] Sure, they get trapped in a piece of metal, but at least they get to see the world.
Yhetti

Post by Yhetti »

I have to say, I just got my new phone(Note III) and terraria is the best mobile game I have ever played. Mind you the large screen and the stylus on the phone makes everything easier. By any chance is the mobile version getting an update too?
EpicAaron

Post by EpicAaron »

I can't understand the reasoning behind making two identical world types with different textures. I thought the crimson biome was new, but then I made a new world and realized that it was just a re-textured corruption. It seems half of the new items added are just re-textured tools from the generic ores. This whole update can be compared to a Redstone Tools and dirt->diamond mod. :(
BTW Community Server Discord: https://discord.gg/arZpuYW
Spoiler
Show
Psion

Post by Psion »

Well, one of the main reasons I could see for them adding alternate biomes is for decorative purposes. Not so much the color of the blocks, although that can be handy as well, but the textures of the blocks themselves, since now we can paint blocks different colors.

Also, I've yet to enter hardmode, but I hear the crimson stops being a weaker corruption and starts getting downright terrifying and "lovecraftian" in hardmode.
Six

Post by Six »

EpicAaron wrote:I can't understand the reasoning behind making two identical world types with different textures. I thought the crimson biome was new, but then I made a new world and realized that it was just a re-textured corruption. It seems half of the new items added are just re-textured tools from the generic ores. This whole update can be compared to a Redstone Tools and dirt->diamond mod. :(
It's quite a bit more than just re-textured. The mobs and AI is different, the mini-boss is different, the generation is different, the items you get from it are different. It is literally a different biome with new items and enemies, it's just that only one type will be generated in a world and will act as the 'evil' spread once you trigger hard mode.
MaxAstro

Post by MaxAstro »

Well, while I certainly share FC's and other's concerns with the early game changes, I do have this to say about the update: It has completely fixed my problems with Hardmode.

Previously, Hardmode was a grind to get Hallowed Armor, and then... that's it. Congrats, you have teh best armor evar. No choices, like in the original end game where every top-tier armor has a use.

Now... well, off the top of my head, viable end-game armors include:

-Hallowed
-Frost
-Turtle
-Chlorophyte
-Shroomite
-Spectre
-Tiki

Heck, even Titanium armor is pretty decent if you are using the ninja gear and being a pro dodger. :)

So, while pre-hardmode has suffered a bit, I've found Hardmode to be VASTLY more fun.
"In the near future, the apocalypse has had an apocalypse."
EpicAaron

Post by EpicAaron »

MaxAstro wrote:
So, while pre-hardmode has suffered a bit, I've found Hardmode to be VASTLY more fun.
I played shortly into hardmode before giving up, as it seemed like the same exact game with slightly different ores and mobs. Perhaps I came to my conclusions too quickly. I will have to obtain these new armor types!
BTW Community Server Discord: https://discord.gg/arZpuYW
Spoiler
Show
Taleric

Post by Taleric »

Alright, I went from scratch to the last boss.

I was initially worried when all I saw was fluff while it did give more atmosphere. Now at the end I can say there were some neat additions play wise.
Spoiler
Show
The additional difficulty after the second to last boss was very refreshing. I liked the organic ore, temporarily inaccessible dungeon, new NPCs and late game role specific armor.
I recommend a run just to be consumed by the unknown again and get your heart racing on the boss fights.
MaxAstro

Post by MaxAstro »

Yeah, there's definitely some awesome new hardmode content.

I think my favorite is the Tiki armor. My g/f adores it - she uses the full armor plus both the accessories, and it's hilariously awesome to see her little mob of pygmies swarm over anything that gets close to her. :) Plus the "flying" graphics for the pygmies are simply inspired. :D
"In the near future, the apocalypse has had an apocalypse."
erikdk321

Post by erikdk321 »

What I really like about this update is that hardmode is more interesting and in a lot of cases harder. But I really hate how they made pre-hardmode much easier and simpler by adding gem grabblinghooks and wood armour. Other than that i think this update is pretty cool and i have been playing a butt-ton of it lately :D