install 1.94 version problems *solved*

If you're having problems with your installation of Better Than Wolves, or if you've woken up in the future and are beginning to doubt the nature of reality, here's the place to post about it.
myrrdan

install 1.94 version problems *solved*

Post by myrrdan »

I downloaded the new 1.94 version of btw,
the newest forge 1.06 ( i believe)
and current mod loader.and mcpatcher.
Installed mod loader, mcpatcher and works without a problem.
As soon as i install forge, it gives me the black screen.
The meta is deleted, but not sure why its not working.

Any ideas?
Is the new 1.94 for mc 1.73 or 1.8 ?
Last edited by myrrdan on Sun Sep 11, 2011 4:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Stormweaver

Re: install 1.94 version problems

Post by Stormweaver »

You have to install the forge before the HD texture fix.
PatriotBob wrote:Damn it, I'm going to go eat pumpkin pie while I still think that it tastes good.
Milk

Post by Milk »

The newest version of mcforge conflicts with modloader now. I've checked and they both use a couple of the same classes.
Maybe try using an older version of mcforge (or modloader, whichever has been updated). I haven't tried, but I will after this post.

Edit: I've tested that mcforge v1.0.4 works with the latest version of modloader. Haven't tested if BTW works with the working combo. I'll get back to you on that.
Camerinthus

Post by Camerinthus »

Milk, I'd like to point out that Forge uses ModLoader. You can't run Forge-based mods without modloader.

(Unless, of course, you're talking about something that does make sense. I can't see anything else, but please enlighten me if I am mistaken. :) )
IGN: Camerinthus
walker_boh_65

Post by walker_boh_65 »

myrrdan wrote: Is the new 1.94 for mc 1.73 or 1.8 ?
dont take this the wrong way, but are joking right now because god i certainly hope you are. Of course its for 1.7.3 why would someone make a mod for a pre-released version?
grimper12341

Post by grimper12341 »

Forge 1.0.6 doesn't conflict with modloader as long as you install forge *after* modloader, since forge 1.0.6 contains some tweaks for some of the modloader files. There are currently no plans for forge to become independent of modloader, so you don't have to worry about incompatibilities there for ages yet, if ever.

Anyway, this is the proper install order.

Modloader > Any other mods you have > Forge > Better Than Wolves > MCPatcher

If you didn't use that install order the first time, you have to delete the .minecraft folder (make sure to back up your saves first) then run the minecraft launcher which will re-download a fresh copy (just deleting minecraft.jar won't do it). Once that is done, reinstall those mods in the correct order and it should work.
myrrdan

Post by myrrdan »

Modloader > Any other mods you have > Forge > Better Than Wolves > MCPatcher
um, ok, anytime i tried mcpatcher last, it always gave me the black screen, both versions of btw before 1.94.
i did mcpatcher, modloader (which works)
then add forge and it fails,
add btw and it still fails...

as for the question about 1.73 or 1.8 i wasn't really thinkin things through when i asked that, was being rushed out of the house by my fiancee & her gf to go eat lol

i'll try clearin my bin folder & starting over, though I start with a fresh minecraft.jar every time (i made a backup copy when in upgraded to 1.73)
no sure why its failing but will keep trying.

<edit>
ok, i run mcpatcher last, and it removes all the mods...

so, cleared .minecraft (after backing up my saves)
downloaded all new files.
ran modloader, works,
installed too many items, works,
ran mcpatcher, works,
installed forge, black screen.
install btw, still black screen.

if i run mcpatcher after the forge or btw, it removes the mods. . .
so I don't know whats going on.
i downloaded all new versions, just in case something was corrupted and no change.

so if i don't run mcpatcher, install
modloader,
too many items
forge
btw
it works, if i run mcpatcher along with forge or btw, i get the black screen..
grimper12341

Post by grimper12341 »

Ok first thing, you will always get the black screen if you use MCPatcher before forge. The 2 are entirely incompatible if installed in that order, so don't try it.
myrrdan wrote: um, ok, anytime i tried mcpatcher last, it always gave me the black screen, both versions of btw before 1.94.
I'm guessing the reason you got a blackscreen when you used MCPatcher last is because you didn't reinstall properly. MCPatcher modifies the whole .minecraft folder, so it's crucial you delete that and not just the bin folder.
myrrdan wrote: ok, i run mcpatcher last, and it removes all the mods...
You'll notice when you run MCPatcher it creates the minecraft-1.7.3.jar file as a backup. If you run MCPatcher again and that file is still there, it wipes all your mods by restoring to that backup file. So you have to make sure that backup file is deleted before you run MCPatcher.
Though when you use MCPatcher last it should avoid this problem, since the backup file it creates will have all your mods in it.

EDIT: Rewrote post
Urian

Post by Urian »

The way I did it was to install ModLoader and Forge with the HD-patchers "add mods" function (and patch), then I added BTW manually to the .jar-file. What grimper suggests should also work, you can also merely make a copy of your minecraft.jar (with all mods installed) and rename the copy minecraft-1.7.3.jar.
FlowerChild: Ice in deserts is a good idea
Milk

Post by Milk »

Aha. Well, thanks for clearing that up. I was having the same problem, probably because of the ordering and that I was doing it wrong.
myrrdan

Post by myrrdan »

ah , i didn't realize about the minecraft 1.7.3 file.. will remove that & see what happens,
thank you everyone for your help, it is muchly appreciated,
side note, i realized, it wasn't a black screen I was getting from using it, it was just removing my mods before too.
wish me luck lol
myrrdan

Post by myrrdan »

awesome,
as soon as i deleted the minecraft 1.7.3 file, and re ran the patcher, it works with the HD textures.
now i have a better understanding.
thank you for explaining it grimper :)