Vanilla Minecraft News Discussion

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
Mikko_blu

Re: Vanilla Minecraft News Discussion

Post by Mikko_blu »

Vexalor wrote:Don't know how much of this has already been mentioned, if any, but Mojang is promising to add "various new mobs" to the game in addition to horses, mules, and donkeys. Each of those--horses, donkeys, and mules--has received its own GUI for whatever reason, also.

Further, they are in the process of adding a health bar for mounts. Right now, in the new snapshot, if you mount, say, a pig, its health bar replaces your hunger bar until you dismount, which seems a bit annoying if you ask me, but oh well.

yeah just don't... ugh

It looks like a forge mod, to be completely honest. Look at that picture. We went from a new jungle biome (1.2.5) Which was actually cool, to placeable heads, wither boss, and now to horses

i know it's been said over and over, but Jesus Christ for the love of all fucking god, please stop it god dammit

i became a mod on mcf to help people with MC support, not deal with why their horses won't move on the newest snapshot
ScubaPlays

Post by ScubaPlays »

Well, it looks like Mo'Creatures because the author of of that mod is the one who did them (or at least helped Mojang with them).
Pucc

Post by Pucc »

I got a glimpse into one of Mojang's feature design meetings. Well if that's how new features got implemented back then is there any hope for the future?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8md1Ana4xcY

Made me laugh anyway.
jecowa

Post by jecowa »

I hope they don't plan on turning Minecraft into Mo' Creatures. You can't break wind in that mod without offending a nearby critter.
sacrife

Post by sacrife »

One thing that always annoyed me about VMC is the brewery stand. I missclick that thing all the time. Why doesnt it have a block hitbox?
jecowa

Post by jecowa »

As far as I know, none of the blocks in Minecraft has a compound hitbox — not even the extended piston block. You can't click the wood rod of an extended piston either. The hitbox of a BTW table is nearly a full cubic meter. They may not be able to make the blaze rod of the potion-brewing stand clickable without either making the hitbox a full cube or making the majority of the base of the brewing stand unclickable.
barcode

Post by barcode »

Mikko_blu wrote:and now to horses

i know it's been said over and over, but Jesus Christ for the love of all fucking god, please stop it god dammit
I'm a bit torn on this one, while I do in fact think that the worlds need a more vivid wildlife, I wouldn't necessarily have focused on the one area where most mobs are right now. How about some mountain goats or other biome-specific mobs, or fish. Water is such a safe haven right now, on my first server (vanilla), if we were lost somewhere we'd always just get our wooden planks out to craft a few boats and then spend the night exploring the oceans some more. Horses are - well - a bit too obvious of a choice in my opinion. But they fit into the map I'm working on right now, so I don't mind all that much.
XantyZon wrote:- Remember just like you can't have manslaughter without laughter, you can not have forgery without forge.
julkwiec

Post by julkwiec »

You're absolutely right. Nothing has been done whatsoever to encourage underwater trips or make them at least a bit challenging.
I'd prefer if Mojang added boat-eating sharks or some kind of aquatic plants, or in any other manner make the Neptune's domain more interesting.
DaveYanakov

Post by DaveYanakov »

I think Mojang is missing something incredibly basic and entirely vital to the success of Minecraft here.

I have followed the various modding communities that have popped up around various games for the last quarter of a century, all the way back to making games for the Apple II and the BASIC language. I have not once seen a game that had even a fraction of the number of completed or at least well developed mods before Minecraft came along. We disparage obsidian tool mods but the fact that people with no experience in mod making are actually publishing a complete mod of whatever quality amazing. 90% of mod projects everywhere else get to the point of a new model or two and a handful of screenshots before dropping off the map.

Mojang is oblivious to the point that, stay with me here, modding is gameplay. How many people would have abandoned Minecraft years ago that are still around because the basic sandbox is so very moddable? They internalize it in a way that no mere player ever could and the title is so much stronger because of that. By focusing on adding what should be (and has been) mod content rather than the basic internals of their game, they are letting down a huge segment of their playerbase.
Better is the enemy of Good
ExpHP

Post by ExpHP »

DaveYanakov wrote:-snip-
Kind of how I feel about it.

If they get the Mo' Creatures guy to help out and add some creatures, that's great and all, but then what's the point of Mo' Creatures?

To me, the bustling mod community is without a doubt a big part of what keeps MC as popular today as it is today. vMC doesn't have to cater to everybody. We're quite capable of doing that for ourselves.
Zhil

Post by Zhil »

ExpHP wrote:what's the point of Mo' Creatures?
Bad example, because I've been wondering that since Mo' Creatures first came out ;)
Come join us at Vioki's Discord! discord.gg/fhMK5kx
enzyme_a113_2

Post by enzyme_a113_2 »

Gilberreke wrote:what's the point of Mo' Creatures?
Ugly models with hi-res textures :]
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Let's not get into insulting other mods guys, particularly without provocation. The authors work hard providing free content for the community, just like I do.

I realize the line is a bit blurry here, as we now seem to be having mod content being integrated straight into vanilla, but I'd still prefer we stay away from it if possible, or at least direct the criticism specifically at what's going into vanilla rather than an author's other work.

Mojang are (supposedly) the professionals here. They really should be the ones taking the blame if their quality control isn't up to snuff.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Ok, I just snarfed upon reading Notch's most recent tweet:
Mojang board meetings are basically a few hours of extremely silly jokes, with totally random decisions mixed in. Awesome stuff.
I really don't think he meant that the way it wound up sounding, but oh, how true it appears to be :)
Folrig

Post by Folrig »

DaveYanakov wrote:Mojang is oblivious to the point that, stay with me here, modding is gameplay.
I'm not certain I entirely agree with this. I was under the impression that the mod API (however ill-conceived or over reaching) and the mod "directory(?)" was supposed to bring mods to even the most casual of players.

It seems that they just don't know how to better integrate the mod community.
This...all of this...is just...wonky!
Mikko_blu

Post by Mikko_blu »

barcode wrote:
Mikko_blu wrote:and now to horses

I'm a bit torn on this one, while I do in fact think that the worlds need a more vivid wildlife, I wouldn't necessarily have focused on the one area where most mobs are right now. How about some mountain goats or other biome-specific mobs, or fish. Water is such a safe haven right now, on my first server (vanilla), if we were lost somewhere we'd always just get our wooden planks out to craft a few boats and then spend the night exploring the oceans some more. Horses are - well - a bit too obvious of a choice in my opinion. But they fit into the map I'm working on right now, so I don't mind all that much.

Oh certainly, the wildlife needs alot of working. But i don't think that means adding new mobs, i tihnk the mobs we have now need to be made to do more. For example, Squids. They should obviously be used in something, be that alchemy, food, enchants. They're such a simple creature, but they have the potential to be used for more than just ink.

Bats. A PERFECT example of just adding in mobs. Bats NEED A purpose. I can't think of any ideas, and i don't really want to, but they need a purpose.

There needs to be a source of danger for water. Either fish, or hostile squid, SOMETHING. Even on Hardcore Vmc, it's a way to escape harm. Chasing zombie or creeper? Jump into the water. Accidentally pulled a Enderman? Take a swim!

These are really raw ideas, and i don't want opinions on them, they're just my really quick thoughts.
-J-

Post by -J- »

Mikko_blu wrote:

There needs to be a source of danger for water. Either fish, or hostile squid, SOMETHING. Even on Hardcore Vmc, it's a way to escape harm. Chasing zombie or creeper? Jump into the water. Accidentally pulled a Enderman? Take a swim!
Agreed. Back in the day when I still played Mo' Creatures it felt really exhilarating to know that there was something in the water that actually wanted to kill you. I remember being scared shitless when I got a shark following me while strollin' around with my boat. That's what vMC needs in my opinion: more primal emotion inducing content.
It's been said countless times but I'll say it again: Mojang needs to stop implementing this half-baked shit and focus on making the features that already exist better and more interesting.
"In a closed society where everybody's guilty, the only crime is getting caught. In a world of thieves, the only final sin is stupidity."
jecowa

Post by jecowa »

I think boating is annoying enough with having to dodge all the squids spawning in front of my boat and the chickens floating in my path. I don't think we need sharks chasing down and capsizing our boats in addition to this.
Mikko_blu

Post by Mikko_blu »

jecowa wrote:I think boating is annoying enough with having to dodge all the squids spawning in front of my boat and the chickens floating in my path. I don't think we need sharks chasing down and capsizing our boats in addition to this.
It's too easy. There are biome that have really nice friendly features, but no opposing enemy features.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Mikko_blu wrote: It's too easy. There are biome that have really nice friendly features, but no opposing enemy features.
I feel the same way about jungles. HC Move helps a bit, but they're still basically a food festival with very little opposition.
Foxy Boxes

Post by Foxy Boxes »

FlowerChild wrote:I feel the same way about jungles. HC Move helps a bit, but they're still basically a food festival with very little opposition.
Especially when said food is somehow under the ground bush and thus safe from (non-steve) predators?
On the internet you can be whatever you want. It's surprising so many people choose to be stupid.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

The main problem with jungles IMO is that mobs can't spawn on leaves (for obvious reasons...they'd be up in the trees all the time otherwise), and Mojang, seemingly oblivious to that, went and created a biome that has its ground almost entirely covered in them. Of course, nobody tends to notice this in vanilla, because everyone is sleeping through the night cozy in their beds, so you don't wind up encountering above ground mobs in general very often anyways.

Otherwise, I think jungles would be rather dangerous due to the overhead canopy which would shelter mobs from direct sunlight much more than in other biomes, and given your limited visibility in them.

I'll likely do something to rectify this in BTW, as at present, it turns jungles into a form of safe zone from mobs, which feels contrary to their nature.
MaxAstro

Post by MaxAstro »

Ironically, it never occurred to me that mobs wouldn't be able to spawn on bushes, and so the obvious tactical difficulty of fighting mobs in the jungle has led to me avoiding them like the plague, especially with how easy it is to get lost in them. :)
"In the near future, the apocalypse has had an apocalypse."
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

MaxAstro wrote:Ironically, it never occurred to me that mobs wouldn't be able to spawn on bushes, and so the obvious tactical difficulty of fighting mobs in the jungle has led to me avoiding them like the plague, especially with how easy it is to get lost in them. :)
Yeah, that's the thing. Given how infrequently they spawn, what feels like it should be a difficult environment just winds up being a big playground.
Mikko_blu

Post by Mikko_blu »

FlowerChild wrote:
MaxAstro wrote:Ironically, it never occurred to me that mobs wouldn't be able to spawn on bushes, and so the obvious tactical difficulty of fighting mobs in the jungle has led to me avoiding them like the plague, especially with how easy it is to get lost in them. :)
Yeah, that's the thing. Given how infrequently they spawn, what feels like it should be a difficult environment just winds up being a big playground.

I didn't notie this before. This is another instance of the good biome idea done wrong. Jungles have Temples, which makes them unique, but having no mobs to counter that just makes it easy.