Flower's Dev Diary (Week of April 29th)

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
Solymr

Re: Flower's Dev Diary (Week of April 29th)

Post by Solymr »

Lars wrote:
Calo290 wrote:I think it has something to do with sprinting over ice. I remember Icy making a comment about how nice the speed boost over ice was in his Let's Play.
It would be pretty cool if you could slip and fall over or something =D
I want to get hurt when I sprint into a wall.
Kazuya Mishima

Post by Kazuya Mishima »

Ice breaks if you run over it ? Still that might be cool if you could actually freeze or take damage from exposure.
ExpHP

Post by ExpHP »

Very many of the ideas mentioned here actually do not make sense given the statement. Running now causes something to occur that did used to happen before - but only when a variable was greater than 1.

Or vice versa.
devak

Post by devak »

ExpHP wrote:Very many of the ideas mentioned here actually do not make sense given the statement. Running now causes something to occur that did used to happen before - but only when a variable was greater than 1.

Or vice versa.
Spoiler
Show
i bet it's knockback when striking an opponent when running. Which sucks when it comes to knocking back creepers. or it makes it less lame
Mud

Post by Mud »

[quote="devak"][/quote]
Dear lord.
Uristqwerty

Post by Uristqwerty »

My guess:
Spoiler
Show
Running tramples farms. It would be especially noticable when running from a hostile mob, as you would leave a clear path for it to follow at full speed.
Then again, I haven't watched any of Icy's recent videos yet, so could be way off.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Yikes. Just spent the last few hours looking into the "eat twice" bug on food. What a frigging mess. Nasty conflict between the client and server as to which food item was in the process of being consumed, and thus what the player releasing the mouse-button related to.

On the bright side, it's fixed now. In the end I decided to make food and potions single-use per click (as in continuing to hold the button doesn't eat a second one) to get around it, as correcting it other ways would have either taken extensive base class mods, or messed with other aspects of this functionality like placing multiple blocks while holding down the button.

I think this is a very reasonable solution though, and doubt anyone will suffer from not being able to mass-consume by holding down the button for extended periods.
Jeet

Post by Jeet »

FlowerChild wrote:On the bright side, it's fixed now.
I can't tell you how many times I've made myself plump because of this bug... Thank you sir!
Tekei

Post by Tekei »

I think that's a very reasonable solution FC. I can't begin to describe how happy I am to hear that it has been fixed. While it is/was rather situational it did bother me a lot, so thanks for taking the time to fix it even if it meant taking time from other things!
Six

Post by Six »

FlowerChild wrote:On the bright side, it's fixed now. In the end I decided to make food and potions single-use per click (as in continuing to hold the button doesn't eat a second one) to get around it, as correcting it other ways would have either taken extensive base class mods, or messed with other aspects of this functionality like placing multiple blocks while holding down the button.

I think this is a very reasonable solution though, and doubt anyone will suffer from not being able to mass-consume by holding down the button for extended periods.
Does this also apply to throwing splash potions? Although the machinegun stack throwing was useful at times, it was also madly ridiculous and I would be glad to see that at one per click.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Six wrote: Does this also apply to throwing splash potions? Although the machinegun stack throwing was useful at times, it was also madly ridiculous and I would be glad to see that at one per click.
Yeah, it should. Though I've been meaning to get around to fixing up throwing in general for awhile now, as even with once per click it's still retarded, and applies to mod items like dynamite and such too.
Mud

Post by Mud »

So... a cooldown system? That could be interesting.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

No, probably a wind-up system similar to the bow with distance thrown based on time held down, plus a min time to be able to throw at all.

It's consistent with the functionality already in the game, and I think that it'll work much better overall.
Mud

Post by Mud »

Even better. Having to "wind-up" a pitch makes a lot of sense too.
CycloneSP

Post by CycloneSP »

So, what impact would that have on snow balls? Considering their only real use is for early blaze killing. Or are we just gonna pretend they don't exist cuz they suck so bad? ;)
"So tell me, what's it like living in a constant haze of stupidity?" - Hiei

"Snow is not fire, so it can still rain." -Kaitocain
Mud

Post by Mud »

CycloneSP wrote:So, what impact would that have on snow balls? Considering their only real use is for early blaze killing. Or are we just gonna pretend they don't exist cuz they suck so bad? ;)
I've found them pretty useful early game to knock skeletons out from under trees during the day.
Vexalor

Post by Vexalor »

Mud wrote:I've found them pretty useful early game to knock skeletons out from under trees during the day.
I may be wrong, but I do not believe that that will work anymore due to hardcore fist, since knockback is now linked to damage... very creative idea though. Again, I may be wrong, as I don't know if HCF applies to projectiles. Will test.

EDIT: It does. No more snowballs to push around mobs. Snowballs aren't going to be too useful anymore, even against blazes and such.
DaveYanakov

Post by DaveYanakov »

Vexalor wrote:
Mud wrote:I've found them pretty useful early game to knock skeletons out from under trees during the day.
I may be wrong, but I do not believe that that will work anymore due to hardcore fist, since knockback is now linked to damage... very creative idea though. Again, I may be wrong, as I don't know if HCF applies to projectiles. Will test.

EDIT: It does. No more snowballs to push around mobs. Snowballs aren't going to be too useful anymore, even against blazes and such.
Unless you're saying that snowballs no longer damage blazes at all, losing the knockback actually makes them more effective since you don't have to worry about pushing the blaze out over ledges where they drop your precious rod in a sea of lava anymore.
Better is the enemy of Good
Mikko_blu

Post by Mikko_blu »

You're diaries never fail to excite me.

I look forward to the final changes you have for us, i know this has been the finish that you have been working towards.
Vexalor

Post by Vexalor »

DaveYanakov wrote:Unless you're saying that snowballs no longer damage blazes at all, losing the knockback actually makes them more effective since you don't have to worry about pushing the blaze out over ledges where they drop your precious rod in a sea of lava anymore.
True, but you forget that knockback also creates a sort of stun-lock affect, during which the blaze won't be able to attack the player, which can be a great aid.

EDIT: Looking into this, snowballs actually do cause blazes a very small amount of knockback. It's not much, but it is still there, anyways.
Mud

Post by Mud »

Well then if the "wind-up" idea makes it's way into BTW. I'll be crossing my fingers that it brings knock-back back to snow balls. I don't need to be able to spam them, just need one or two to knock those skeletons into the sunlight.
Vexalor

Post by Vexalor »

Mud wrote:Well then if the "wind-up" idea makes it's way into BTW. I'll be crossing my fingers that it brings knock-back back to snow balls. I don't need to be able to spam them, just need one or two to knock those skeletons into the sunlight.
Yeah, that really is a pretty cool emergent gameplay thing, so hopefully yes, the wind up will make it again possible, just more difficult to do.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Vexalor wrote: Yeah, that really is a pretty cool emergent gameplay thing, so hopefully yes, the wind up will make it again possible, just more difficult to do.
Ummm...dude, please refrain from making statements on my behalf. This isn't the first time you've done that, and done so erroneously to boot.

This is also devolving into suggestion territory guys, so I'd ask you to back off on the snowball thing and wait and see what develops. Saying you hope something goes a certain way *is* a suggestion, it's just phrasing it in an alternative fashion. It's no less annoying.
Vexalor

Post by Vexalor »

FlowerChild wrote:Ummm...dude, please refrain from making statements on my behalf. This isn't the first time you've done that, and done so erroneously to boot.
I apologize for making my language unclear: I was trying to say hopefully that will be the indirect result of that new feature.
Vexalor wrote: Yeah, that really is a pretty cool emergent gameplay thing, so hopefully yes, the wind up will make it again possible, just more difficult to do.
Sorry for being foolish, I am just very excited for the new wind-up feature.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

No worries man. Keep in mind, I usually ban first and ask questions later, so if I warn you it's coming, it's because I like you ;)