my return gift (new techno songs)

This forum is for anything that doesn't specifically have to do with Better Than Wolves
odranoel

my return gift (new techno songs)

Post by odranoel »

so iv been pretty much gone these last couple of months while i finished up my studies and took care of a few personal issues. but now i finally finished my studies and have had the time to get back into the BTW scene. (and i must say recent updates have been nothing short of amazing!) and considering this is still the only forum i regularly frequent, i figured id share the fruits of my labour with you all. when im not playing BTW, im ushually makeing music, and playing BTW has inspired a many good few melodies at this point :)

so here it is, three new songs i made for my finals at the music school i was attending. i hope you enjoy, and feel free to be as brutal as you like in your critisizms, it will only help me get better :) dont forget to turn the quility to the highest youtube will allow for better results.

1: Get it Now (Got it Mix) - hard techno. (youtube link)
Spoiler
Show

this is the first song iv ever made that has voices! in this case my brother sent me some acapelas (only voice recordings, no other sounds or effects) from his hip hop band. i speed them up significantly and built the entire song around the voices. (or as best i could) i have to say using hip hop vocals worked out better then i thought it would for a techno song, as it was already rather rythmic and fit perfectly into a 4x4 beat. my bro is the one who raps in english, and his friend is the one who raps in spansih. (their hip hop band is a mix of english and spanish rap here in Argentina) this song helped me alot to get familier with using vocals and syncing them properly (harder then i thought it would be xD )

2: Through the Event Horizon - chillout/techno fusion. (youtube link)
Spoiler
Show
this is more of a combination of chillout elements, which later progress into a more faster pace techno song. with this song i learned how to get a stereo feel with mono sounds. (basicaly duplicate a mono sound, pan one hard left, the other hard right, and give one of them a small delay of a around 10 - 20 millisecondes) so hopefully this one should sound a little more lush then some of my earlier songs.

3: Mystified - techno/dubstep/chillout fusion. (soundcloud link) this song is a mix of various electronic music styles, including techno and trance, dubstep, and chillout. basically the goal of this song was to try and use as many varied styles as i could without straying to far from the electronic music idea. (personally my fav part is the chillout section that starts around 4:16) i hope the transitions arent too jarring, as thats a problem i sometimes run into. im makeing something fast and punchy, then i suddenly start feeling nostalgic and relaxed (BTW break) and try to transfer that to my current song. and sometimes the transition from one style to another can get you out of the "groove" so to speak, so thats something i always try and keep tabs on.

well i hope you guys enjoy! i get such a great time out of this forum (not to mention BTW it self) and it always feels great to give a lil something back no matter how remotly related to BTW it might be. (in this case nostalgic inspiration :D )

All hail BTW!

Edit to add: all songs made in Ableton live 8, with reason 5.0 in rewire mode.
Azdoine

Re: my return gift (new techno songs)

Post by Azdoine »

I can't offer an expert opinion, but I will say that my nooblet ears really like what you've made. I'd definitely look for anything else you've made.

Also, it wasn't until now that I realized your avatar was the Reason logo.
Oops.
Last edited by Azdoine on Thu May 16, 2013 11:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dawnraider

Post by dawnraider »

Those songs are quite impressive. They sound really good! As azdoine said, I would love to see more stuff you make, as I really like them.
Come join us on discord! https://discord.gg/fhMK5kx
Get the Deco Addon here!
Get the Better Terrain Addon here!
Get the Vanilla Mix TP here!
Get the Conquest TP here!
Zhil

Post by Zhil »

I don't care particularly for the first two, though they are pleasing in parts. I have general dislike for the string-like synths you hear in trance a lot. That's just my opinion, not a fact.

The third one is a lot more interesting I think. You should do some research into sub-bass and how to work it in. What I do is make the MIDI notes trigger two bass synths. One is the regular saw/triangle/whatever, the second is a simple very low sine wave. Be careful to cut out part of the very very low spectrum with an EQ to avoid general feels of nausea when listening to your songs.

Good job in any case. The songs respond fairly well on my vintage Advent speakers, which is not always a given.
Come join us at Vioki's Discord! discord.gg/fhMK5kx
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Gilberreke wrote:Be careful to cut out part of the very very low spectrum with an EQ to avoid general feels of nausea when listening to your songs.
Wait...is the the dreaded "brown noise"? :)
Zhil

Post by Zhil »

FlowerChild wrote:Wait...is the the dreaded "brown noise"? :)
Haha, depends on your meal :D

Basically, there's a low spectrum rumbling that cannot be heard by humans, but causes a lot of people to feel nausea when played through a proper sub-woofer. Not sure if it's true, but I always take precaution not to prove the theory right ;)
magikeh

Post by magikeh »

Gilberreke wrote:
FlowerChild wrote:Wait...is the the dreaded "brown noise"? :)
Haha, depends on your meal :D

Basically, there's a low spectrum rumbling that cannot be heard by humans, but causes a lot of people to feel nausea when played through a proper sub-woofer. Not sure if it's true, but I always take precaution not to prove the theory right ;)
/me quietly unplugs his 400w Woofer
Magical Shit
Show
Syruse|Work: i like magic shit
MagikEh: ...
MagikEh: >.>
MagikEh: <.<
»» MagikEh walks to the bathroom
Syruse|Work: hahaaaaaaaaa
Syruse|Work: wait
MagikEh: xD
Syruse|Work: fuck
Syruse|Work: NO
Syruse|Work: DONT
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Gilberreke wrote: Basically, there's a low spectrum rumbling that cannot be heard by humans, but causes a lot of people to feel nausea when played through a proper sub-woofer. Not sure if it's true, but I always take precaution not to prove the theory right ;)
Hmmm...I do believe some tests may be in order. I have access to tens of thousands of "volunteers" if you'd care to send me a sample :)
Zhil

Post by Zhil »

FlowerChild wrote:Hmmm...I do believe some tests may be in order. I have access to tens of thousands of "volunteers" if you'd care to send me a sample :)
Haha, I found some resources that this is actually a thing.
Walt Disney and his artists were once made seriously ill when a sound effect, intended for a short cartoon scene, was slowed down several times on a tape machine and amplified through a theater sound system. The original sound source was a soldering iron, whose buzzing 60 cycle tone was lowered five times to 12 cycles. This tone produced a lingering nausea in the crew which lasted for days.
even mild infrasound exposure requires several hours, or even days, to reverse symptoms.
One guy on the internet called it the Brown Sound, so I suppose you would like him ;)

I'd make you some clips, but now I'm terrified. I do know that when I made my girlfriend listen to my industrial band's latest track, she reported feeling really strange in her stomach. I EQ'd and mastered the track the day after and the feeling was gone, I suspect it was a very mild form of infrasound.

Long story short, I'm not going to vomit over my own keyboard in order to make the perfect weapon for thousands. Didn't that one hunger effect cause nausea too? We're getting really close to being able to make an insta-vomit feature in BTW.

Extreme FOV + hunger effect + brown noise = vomit fest.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Gilberreke wrote:Long story short, I'm not going to vomit over my own keyboard in order to make the perfect weapon for thousands. Didn't that one hunger effect cause nausea too? We're getting really close to being able to make an insta-vomit feature in BTW.
Lol...don't worry, I wouldn't actually do such a thing to players.

However, it does occur to me that as an anti-Technic feature, making players shit their pants would be one of the few things that could finally top Forestry's killer bees ;)
CycloneSP

Post by CycloneSP »

FlowerChild wrote:
Gilberreke wrote:Long story short, I'm not going to vomit over my own keyboard in order to make the perfect weapon for thousands. Didn't that one hunger effect cause nausea too? We're getting really close to being able to make an insta-vomit feature in BTW.
Lol...don't worry, I wouldn't actually do such a thing to players.

However, it does occur to me that as an anti-Technic feature, making players shit their pants would be one of the few things that could finally top Forestry's killer bees ;)
Can't. Stop. Laughing! Can't stop... pressing imaginary... thumbs up button.

:)

+1 to this FC for making my day.
"So tell me, what's it like living in a constant haze of stupidity?" - Hiei

"Snow is not fire, so it can still rain." -Kaitocain
Zhil

Post by Zhil »

FlowerChild wrote:However, it does occur to me that as an anti-Technic feature, making players shit their pants would be one of the few things that could finally top Forestry's killer bees ;)
Dude, I made exactly the same joke on IRC while you were posting that. I think our mental filth cycles are synced :D.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Gilberreke wrote: Dude, I made exactly the same joke on IRC while you were posting that. I think our mental filth cycles are synced :D.
Oh, believe me, I've been thinking that from the start of this conversation.

Someone recently informed me that Technic put together a "BTW mod-pack" (BTW + a few balance breaking mods like a mini-map and instant tree harvesting), which has gotten me thinking along those lines again. They also used to refer to me as the "Dung Princess" (which eventually mutated into "Dong Princess" since they have the attention span of goldfish) , so I thought causing them all to have loose bowels would be entirely apropros ;)
Solymr

Post by Solymr »

Why not make it fully incompatible with everything? Just as a bonus to this guy being a dumbass.
odranoel

Post by odranoel »

Thanks alot guys, im glad you liked the songs :) if your intrested ill leave my youtube channel here, i have about 30ish songs uploaded by now, granted alot of them are older and more amateur sounding. but maybe you find a few others you like

youtube to Gil: thanks for the suggestion, sub bass is something iv been meaning to look into for a while now and you just reminded me of it. (been so busy lately id almost forgot) that and proper use of compression. as is im still a lil fuzzy as to when to use compression and how much, to yeild specific results.

And lol, the brown noise always makes me remember the world wide recorder concert from south park, where the world shits it pants and tsunamis of poo cover entire cities :p Also that disney peice of information is very intersting, i had no idea about that. considering how music and sound can provoke such a wide range of emotions, from happiest, to saddest, and everything in between, its very possible there might be a frequency of sorts that activates the brains, "panic button" causeing you to do all sorts of intresting things....

imagine if every bodily funcion had some specific frequency for activating it. then you could literally control people through sound! D: a rather terrifing concept, if it got into the wrong hands. but just think, next time someone gets on your bad side, you could play the "hand stand" tone, quickly followed by the brown noise, and let gravity get your vengance for you! :)
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

odranoel wrote:i had no idea about that. considering how music and sound can provoke such a wide range of emotions, from happiest, to saddest, and everything in between, its very possible there might be a frequency of sorts that activates the brains, "panic button" causeing you to do all sorts of intresting things....
I'm actually wondering if it might be related to some kind of earthquake (or other geological activity) detection system. I think some animals tend to panic when there's an earthquake about to occur, and this conversation has me thinking this might be the human equivalent.
odranoel

Post by odranoel »

very good point, there are indeed many animals that freak out right befor an earth quake, and its not fully understood why yet, altho sub sonics is what they most suspect it to be. i imagine theres alot of "instinct" things we have lost with the raise of intelligence and logic. sometimes when things get more and more complex, we seem to lose sight of the very simplest things. my favorite example being, nasa spending millions of dollars to develop a pressurized pen capable of writing in zero gravity, while the soviets used a good old fasion pencil :)
Zhil

Post by Zhil »

FlowerChild wrote:I'm actually wondering if it might be related to some kind of earthquake (or other geological activity) detection system. I think some animals tend to panic when there's an earthquake about to occur, and this conversation has me thinking this might be the human equivalent.
If I get the physics right, the subsonic waves wouldn't cause much shaking, would travel the furthest and the fastest, causing you to detect it prior to the faster waves that do cause shaking. The very fast waves don't spread far, hence why the epicenter is struck harder.

I'm sure if I'm incorrect the internet will prove me wrong, but that would support your hypothesis
odranoel wrote:to Gil: thanks for the suggestion, sub bass is something iv been meaning to look into for a while now and you just reminded me of it. (been so busy lately id almost forgot) that and proper use of compression. as is im still a lil fuzzy as to when to use compression and how much, to yeild specific results.
This guy explains the double bass principle rather well. It's applied to a wobble type of bass, but he's very knowledgeable about how to bring in sub.

As for compression, just be careful with side-chaining, you want to tweak it just right, so it doesn't have that wooshing sound. If you can get away with moving the attack up on the bass notes, so they only kick in when the kick drum transient has already happened, you're good. I guess you can also reach that with a very fast attack and short release on the sidechain compressor to make it duck just the kick drum transient, not the whole thing.
Sometimes it helps to choose a new kick drum sample after you did your bass, so you can position the kick drum right in a part of the spectrum that is not used yet. You can also pitch shift the existing sample to go a bit higher/lower depending on the bass. I usually make my own kick drums in a synth, to get exactly the one I want. If it sounds too clean (it's a kick, so probably not), add some effects like a tiny bit of overdrive or saturation. You might even introduce a white noise oscillator into it to do that, but I have no experience there.

I've been experimenting with making a sidechain-compressor that only compresses part of the spectrum that the kick fits into, so you don't duck the whole bass. Maybe I'll make a thread about some of this.
Pucc

Post by Pucc »

My guess is that the low frequency noise is causing resonance in a certain material within the body most likely a fluid. Nausea could be down to the liquid in your stomach vibrating at a certain frequency that it irritates the stomach inducing vomiting. A bit like the water in the link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T1S9mtF-fE4
Gilberreke wrote:If I get the physics right, the subsonic waves wouldn't cause much shaking, would travel the furthest and the fastest, causing you to detect it prior to the faster waves that do cause shaking. The very fast waves don't spread far, hence why the epicenter is struck harder.
All vibrations travel at the same speed through a given medium regardless of frequency. Gah that one was niggling at me sorry.
Zhil

Post by Zhil »

Pucc wrote:All vibrations travel at the same speed through a given medium regardless of frequency. Gah that one was niggling at me sorry.
You are correct, I misread my source. Apparently, it loses less intensity over distance, the lower the frequency, but the source isn't clear why that is.
Pucc

Post by Pucc »

To aim to keep it short, you are right. High frequency waves tend to decay exponentially when passing through a medium or an area change (e.g. around corners). Once upon a time I did learn about acoustics and the horrendous mathematics that go with it, so I know an answer exists but its probably better that those answers remain in the cardboard boxes and folders they were locked away in.
Mud

Post by Mud »

Nice to see other producers on the boards. I make goofy Jungle/Trap/Juke/Breakbeat Hardcore stuff myself in Ableton:

thegrayearl.bandcamp.com