Converting BTW Texture Packs to 1.5

This sub-forum is dedicated to add-ons and texture packs for Better Than Wolves.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Converting BTW Texture Packs to 1.5

Post by FlowerChild »

All right, I finally got all the mod textures converted over to the 1.5 format, and while I still have a ways to go in updating the mod, I wanted to release the textures themselves so that texture pack artists can get a head start on the conversion if they so desire.

Download Link Removed as you can now just download the release

A few notes about this:

-All textures have descriptive names that indicate what they're used for by the mod. This should make identifying textures much easier. Huzah! :)

-Some textures have been removed as they were no longer necessary, particularly because I can now access both mod and vanilla textures from the same block.

-The flint block now uses the vanilla bedrock texture as originally intended, so its texture has been removed.

-A few textures have been added in to give artists a bit more flexibility when customizing mod blocks. These are generally just duplicates of existing ones in the default textures, but are displayed on different sides of different blocks, as indicated by the file names.

-I included the last version of the mod's texture sheets in the root directory of that zip, just for reference, with unused textures X'd out. Obviously, you don't need those files as part of your conversion, I just plopped them in there for convenience.

Now, for the actual conversion work I strongly recommend using a utility to break your texture sheets into individual files. Briali was nice enough to recommend this one to me:

Tile Mage download

which I used for the mod textures, and it worked great. Note that if you use the above, you can use the direct download link and there's no reason to bother with CNet's download manager. Also, just before you rip with that program, there's an 'advanced options' (or something similar) button. If you press that, you'll get the option to invert the rows and columns, which I found extremely useful since all the textures in the BTW sheets tend to be organized by row rather than column.

I apologize in advance for the inconvenience this represents. Honestly, it's a real pain in the ass to do this kind of thing, but if it's any consolation, the job I had to do with this was MUCH worse as I also had to go through the code for each block and item and change it to reference the correct files.

Anyways, best of luck with it, and please feel free to ask should you have any additional questions about the process.
jecowa

Re: Converting BTW Texture Packs to 1.5

Post by jecowa »

Thanks for the texture pre-release; this is very helpful for me. Also, thanks for splitting up your texture sheet. This will make it much easier for users to mix-and-match their textures.
jecowa

Post by jecowa »

I think I found the three of the new textures that we are now able to individually customize:
  • fcBlockSlats_side.png
  • turntableswitch.png
  • fcBlockDecorativeWhiteStone.png
I noticed all the item texture files have the "fc" prefix except for the screw. Also, one of the item textures wasn't included, maybe to avoid BTW 4.65 spoilers.

The block texture formerly located between the Iron Bars texture and the Block of Flint texture doesn't seem to be included with the newly separated textures. I can't figure out what this texture ever did. Based on the two blocks around it, it looks like it was added in BTW 3.7.0 or 3.7.1.

It looks like the stone, oak wood, and dirt particle textures (first three block textures) are no longer needed. Also the side textures of the full block of grass/frozen grass are no longer needed.
Tekei

Post by Tekei »

Thanks! This is great news, thanks a lot, FC!
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

You're welcome guys. I hope you do find this useful, and I do feel bad I'm not helping out more with this, but I have so much on my plate right now that it just isn't practical for me to do so :\
jecowa wrote:I think I found the three of the new textures that we are now able to individually customize:
  • fcBlockSlats_side.png
  • turntableswitch.png
  • fcBlockDecorativeWhiteStone.png
Yup, the above is all correct. Previously, the first two were using the "particle" textures at the start of the textue sheet, and the white stone texture for decorative blocks was the same as that for the white stone block itself, unlike every other decorative block.
jecowa wrote: I noticed all the item texture files have the "fc" prefix except for the screw. Also, one of the item textures wasn't included, maybe to avoid BTW 4.65 spoilers.
If the screw doesn't have it, that was an error on my part which I'll fix immediately. Given how fiddly this work is, a mistake somewhere was almost inevitable, and if I only made one, I'm quite happy :)

Those "fc" prefixes are in there because once the mod is installed, the vanilla and mod textures get mixed together in the same directory. Hence having prefixes like that allows people to easily identify what's a mod resources, and what's vanilla. I use the same trick on mod code, and mod files in general, to make identification simpler.
jecowa wrote: The block texture formerly located between the Iron Bars texture and the Block of Flint texture doesn't seem to be included with the newly separated textures. I can't figure out what this texture ever did. Based on the two blocks around it, it looks like it was added in BTW 3.7.0 or 3.7.1.
The reddish one? That was a texture for a nether sludge block that I was going to put into the mod awhile ago, but then decided against. I trimmed it out as unused, given I also don't plan to use in the foreseeable future.

So, it's not a hint that something is coming...the exact opposite actually :)
It looks like the stone, oak wood, and dirt particle textures (first three block textures) are no longer needed. Also the side textures of the full block of grass/frozen grass are no longer needed.
Yup, that's all correct as well. Previously, I couldn't access both mod and vanilla textures from within the same block (had to be one or the other), hence I needed copies of some standard vanilla textures in the mod's texture sheet to use for particle effects and such. Obviously, these are no longer needed.
Padfoote

Post by Padfoote »

FlowerChild wrote:I hope you do find this useful, and I do feel bad I'm not helping out more with this, but I have so much on my plate right now that it just isn't practical for me to do so :\
Just the fact that you released that early is extremely helpful, as well as more than most people would have done. Thank you again for your hard work and for helping out when you can like this; I'm fairly certain I'm speaking for most of us here when I say it means a lot when you put aside some time to put something together like this to help.
Chibiterase

Post by Chibiterase »

If anyone is having problems on Tile Mage, just make sure that when your given the option to name it, name it with row number + column number. so that it shows up the way it does on the tile texture.
Have you thought about what you've done recently? Where you've been and from? Who you met? Take time to think about your life once a while.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Chibiterase wrote:If anyone is having problems on Tile Mage, just make sure that when your given the option to name it, name it with row number + column number. so that it shows up the way it does on the tile texture.
That's not enough, as the number will be different if you do that.

Like I mentioned in the OP, there's an advanced option to invert the two right before you rip the sheet. Clicking that is all you need to do to get results which are more akin to the original sheet.
tom_savage

Post by tom_savage »

Thanks so much for this FC!
Kezza

Post by Kezza »

Thanks Flower!

blocks: done
that was the biggest part
mogulus

Post by mogulus »

Big thanks! I am using a modified and updated version of summerfields and have put a lot of work into updating it, little by little. This head start gives me something to do while waiting for the update :). Very happy.

Am I right in assuming that this new system will make it a bit easier for novices like me to add and edit texture packs to our liking?
Time slows down in a high gravitational field. This fact is the pinion of my plan to destroy us all...
Tekei

Post by Tekei »

So, I'm sitting here converting and adding all the BTW textures for my TP and I have a question.
In /textures/blocks/ there are 16 textures called fcBlockCandle_c00 through fcBlockCandle_c15. I get the feeling that these are for candles in block form, but I can't seem to be able to place candles. Does this mean that they aren't used yet ingame?
wirer

Post by wirer »

Well, FC did say he intended to make candles placeable in the future, so that may come up later on.
Tekei

Post by Tekei »

wirer wrote:Well, FC did say he intended to make candles placeable in the future, so that may come up later on.
Yes, but I am not comfortable adding textures to my TP if I can't test them, and I don't want to leave out textures that are being used in game, hence my question. :)
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Yup, they're placeholder.
abzu93

Post by abzu93 »

Since this is related to the conversion 1.5 conversion, I'm asking here:

Could anyone please school me regarding what the filename of the textures that sidings, mouldings, and corners are pulled from? I have been literally working on this for hours, and haven't been able to track it down. Everything else looks great and works like clockwork on 4.66c.
BTW Independence Sig
Spoiler
Show
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Those are the fcBlockDecorative ones.
abzu93

Post by abzu93 »

FlowerChild wrote:Those are the fcBlockDecorative ones.
Thanks! For future reference to all who would join me in tripping over my own nads, my mistake appears to have been not capitalizing the "FC" in FCBlockDecorativeWoodOak.png; and secondly calling everyone's attention to it.
BTW Independence Sig
Spoiler
Show
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

abzu93 wrote: Thanks! For future reference to all who would join me in tripping over my own nads, my mistake appears to have been not capitalizing the "FC" in FCBlockDecorativeWoodOak.png; and secondly calling everyone's attention to it.
Arg. Sorry about that man. Looks like I fucked up my own naming convention in a couple of places. I won't change it now though, as that's just cause people more hassles in having to adapt to it again.
Solymr

Post by Solymr »

Can we make custom textures for stoked fire or are they taken from regular fire now?
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Solymr wrote:Can we make custom textures for stoked fire or are they taken from regular fire now?
Regular fire for now, but it's on my short-list to fix that.

And yeah, you're probably right in that I should have at least created a copy of the regular fire to refer to so that artists could change it. My bad.
ehsanmp

Post by ehsanmp »

I just noticed this while hunting in the jar for the blackstone textures. This is absolutely fantastic, it makes TP work a hell of a lot easier!
Riveter

Post by Riveter »

I'm having some issue finding the icons for fat levels. Are these accessible?
Tekei

Post by Tekei »

Riveter wrote:I'm having some issue finding the icons for fat levels. Are these accessible?
They're in /gui/icons.png