Flower's Dev Diary (Week Of March 18th)

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Re: Flower's Dev Diary (Week Of March 18th)

Post by FlowerChild »

BlueRavenGT wrote: I remember them specifically adding the smelting recipes because of silk touch. All the vanilla recipes are added in FurnaceRecipes.class using block/item IDs, so that explanation wouldn't be very likely.
Ah well. I wanted to think that they hadn't intentionally done that. Must have been lingering remnant of optimistic thinking about vanilla design that I'd yet to stamp out.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

WOOT! After about a week of staring at the code totally in the dark as to whether what I was doing would actually work or not, I was just able to run BTW for the first time under 1.5!!!!! :)

From a surface level inspection, everything appears to be working fine, except for the things I knew would be broken going through the code (just a handful of items there).

With that, and that having been the goal I set, I'm calling it a day. Tomorrow I can set in on actual mod development again instead of just being a glorified typist ;)

<dances>
savagelung

Post by savagelung »

FlowerChild wrote:With that, and that having been the goal I set, I'm calling it a day. Tomorrow I can set in on actual mod development again instead of just being a glorified typist ;)
Congrats FC, and Thanks! I can't wait to see what new developments you have in store!
OldMarriedDude

Post by OldMarriedDude »

FlowerChild wrote:WOOT! After about a week of staring at the code totally in the dark as to whether what I was doing would actually work or not, I was just able to run BTW for the first time under 1.5!!!!! :)

From a surface level inspection, everything appears to be working fine, except for the things I knew would be broken going through the code (just a handful of items there).

With that, and that having been the goal I set, I'm calling it a day. Tomorrow I can set in on actual mod development again instead of just being a glorified typist ;)

<dances>

Sweet - I am very excited about the new release! One question tho... while you were pretending to be a typist where you wearing a skirt and heels?
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

OldMarriedDude wrote:Sweet - I am very excited about the new release! One question tho... while you were pretending to be a typist where you wearing a skirt and heels?
Nah. I always prefer to just program in a thong.
Confector de Caeli

Post by Confector de Caeli »

Spoiler
Show
FlowerChild wrote:WOOT! After about a week of staring at the code totally in the dark as to whether what I was doing would actually work or not, I was just able to run BTW for the first time under 1.5!!!!! :)

<dances>
I cannot express my excitement at the prospect of even more incredible features being added to Better than Wolves. So I won't. But just know: it's there, and it's growing. Growing... and waiting. Waiting for that moment in the future when it will go off in a tremendous explosion of pure light and heat with the power of a thermonuclear bomb. Death comes quickly my friends, and it's especially tricky to deal with with Hardcore Spawn...

EDIT: Holy... I only vaguely remember writing that. I seriously think I may have just partially dozed off there. I have been known to do some pretty strange stuff when semi-asleep... I am just going to leave it in for laughs. I think its time to go to bed... or not.
Spoiler
Show
I no longer merely play Minecraft. I play Minecraft 2: Better than Wolves. Notch is a genius, but, to me, he gave up on Minecraft conceptually in mid-Beta. Now my game developer is FlowerChild, and I trust him totally with my gaming experience.
OldMarriedDude

Post by OldMarriedDude »

FlowerChild wrote:
OldMarriedDude wrote:Sweet - I am very excited about the new release! One question tho... while you were pretending to be a typist where you wearing a skirt and heels?
Nah. I always prefer to just program in a thong.

I walked into that didnt I?

Well Cheers man cant wait to see what agony you have in store for us, now that you're done with the update.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

OldMarriedDude wrote: I walked into that didnt I?
Indeed :)
Well Cheers man cant wait to see what agony you have in store for us, now that you're done with the update.
Not done yet! I can just run the client version now, which is a huge step forward and makes this way less painful (not being able to actually play the mod and see results for extended periods gets really tiresome), but I still have at least another 8+ hours of solid work to go now that I have it in that state.

Plus, I can spread that out a bit now and progress on some other features I had in the works before undertaking this task, which means I can get a bit of creative stuff in there to help break up the monotony.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Lovely. Click-drag in crafting slots tends to result in errors in crafting because the hit-zone is too wide on the individual slots when doing it.

Basically, if you're quickly clicking a bunch of single items in a bunch of slots, it tends to register a click-drag instead and plop down items in places you don't want them.

They really can't do anything right man.
Confector de Caeli

FlowerChild wrote:Lovely. Click-drag in crafting slots tends to result in errors in crafting because the hit-zone is too wide on the individual slots when doing it.

Basically, if you're quickly clicking a bunch of single items in a bunch of slots, it tends to register a click-drag instead and plop down items in places you don't want them.

They really can't do anything right man.
I've played a bit of vanilla Minecraft 1.5.1 to go on servers and such, and I noticed that too. I really don't understand why it would be that useful in the first place, especially since it's been causing me quite a few issues also. I was pretty happy when they added the shift-click feature, but you don't really need anything beyond that...
Spoiler
Show
I no longer merely play Minecraft. I play Minecraft 2: Better than Wolves. Notch is a genius, but, to me, he gave up on Minecraft conceptually in mid-Beta. Now my game developer is FlowerChild, and I trust him totally with my gaming experience.
savagelung

Post by savagelung »

FlowerChild wrote:Lovely. Click-drag in crafting slots tends to result in errors in crafting because the hit-zone is too wide on the individual slots when doing it.
I've definitely noticed this -- I had a very hard time making anything with a diagonal distribution of blocks, like stairs or TNT.
Confector de Caeli wrote:I really don't understand why it would be that useful in the first place, especially since it's been causing me quite a few issues also. I was pretty happy when they added the shift-click feature, but you don't really need anything beyond that...
It's a small change that, properly implemented, adds a lot of convenience. If you have two stacks of cobblestone and you want to make as many slabs as possible, you can let a machine do some quick math instead of clicking two dozen times to separate them.
Confector de Caeli

Spoiler
Show
savagelung wrote:
I've definitely noticed this -- I had a very hard time making anything with a diagonal distribution of blocks, like stairs or TNT.
Confector de Caeli wrote:I really don't understand why it would be that useful in the first place, especially since it's been causing me quite a few issues also. I was pretty happy when they added the shift-click feature, but you don't really need anything beyond that...
It's a small change that, properly implemented, adds a lot of convenience. If you have two stacks of cobblestone and you want to make as many slabs as possible, you can let a machine do some quick math instead of clicking two dozen times to separate them.
I didn't know that it could be used like that. I suppose I should have figured it out, but I never really paid attention to it except when it gave me trouble. In that case, it really is pretty useful... but still problematic. Guess it's time to do some tests with it.
Spoiler
Show
DaveYanakov

Post by DaveYanakov »

I have found myself wishing for a feature like this fairly often when crafting furnaces, chests, stairs... really anything that requires 3 or more of an ingredient. I tend to miss a lot while trying to drop planks into 8 different slots or hemp fibers into six when moving them individually as well so I'm not seeing a lot of difference aside from not wearing out my right click finger. I suspect it's one of those things we're going to have to work with awhile to readjust our reflexes.
Better is the enemy of Good
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

DaveYanakov wrote:I have found myself wishing for a feature like this fairly often when crafting furnaces, chests, stairs... really anything that requires 3 or more of an ingredient. I tend to miss a lot while trying to drop planks into 8 different slots or hemp fibers into six when moving them individually as well so I'm not seeing a lot of difference aside from not wearing out my right click finger. I suspect it's one of those things we're going to have to work with awhile to readjust our reflexes.
That wouldn't have been necessary if it was well implemented.
MoRmEnGiL

Post by MoRmEnGiL »

If the size of the hitzone being too wide is the problem shouldn't that be an easy fix? I would expect them to fix this as a priority, but it is there for quite a while now. Maybe we need to bring it to their attention.
War..
War never changes.

Remember what the dormouse said
dawnraider

Post by dawnraider »

At this point should we really expect them to prioritize what should be dealt with quickly? Also, great to hear how the update is going. Keep up the great work!
Come join us on discord! https://discord.gg/fhMK5kx
Get the Deco Addon here!
Get the Better Terrain Addon here!
Get the Vanilla Mix TP here!
Get the Conquest TP here!
Solymr

Post by Solymr »

Since the only real utility this gives is dividing stacks in multiples of 3 I would have implemented a key to grab a third of the stacksyou were clicking, like right-clicking grabbing half of the stack.
Only if I knew how to mod Minecraft, I would release that simple add-on.
BlueRavenGT

Post by BlueRavenGT »

Solymr wrote:Since the only real utility this gives is dividing stacks in multiples of 3 I would have implemented a key to grab a third of the stacksyou were clicking, like right-clicking grabbing half of the stack.
That ignores the edge cases of bulk crafting minecarts, chestplates, pants, or buckets.

@FlowerChild
If you replaced it with a mod specific block it would leave holes when converting back to vanilla, and if you nuked the ore block completely it would leave holes when converting to BTW, but leaving the block itself intact while removing it from world gen shouldn't result in any holes one way or the other.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

BlueRavenGT wrote: @FlowerChild
If you replaced it with a mod specific block it would leave holes when converting back to vanilla, and if you nuked the ore block completely it would leave holes when converting to BTW, but leaving the block itself intact while removing it from world gen shouldn't result in any holes one way or the other.
I don't need suggestions on how to deal with it man. In fact, it's already dealt with as that's part of what I was working on yesterday.
Confector de Caeli

BlueRavenGT wrote:
Solymr wrote:Since the only real utility this gives is dividing stacks in multiples of 3 I would have implemented a key to grab a third of the stacksyou were clicking, like right-clicking grabbing half of the stack.
That ignores the edge cases of bulk crafting minecarts, chestplates, pants, or buckets.
Those don't really count, though. You can just divide some stacks a few times pretty quickly. For instance, just halve twice to divide into four. If we had some easy way of chopping a third off a stack, that would take care of pretty much everything in conjunction with the halving ability. The only exceptions would be the matter of the two remaining prime numbers <10: five and seven, and we really don't divide stacks by five or seven often.
Spoiler
Show
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

WOOT! I just fixed the last know issue with the mod in 1.5. To my knowledge, all BTW functionality is now working as intended.

All I have left now is ripping out the remainder of Mojang's new features, then port over to the server and it's done. Should be just a few more hours work. Huzah! :)
Psion

Post by Psion »

All hail Flowerchild, our many-tentacled machine overlord and savior from vanilla minecraft! /cheer
Gunnerman21

Post by Gunnerman21 »

Tomorrow will be a day of days for BTW! We will worship the almighty FlowerChild in his many rips and tears at the forbidden and horrific code of... Vanilla...
Spoiler
Show
I am... THE TAXI MAN.
MoRmEnGiL

Post by MoRmEnGiL »

How good does it feel when an update to new vmc version is done? :P

EDIT: Since I'm on a sabbath run, here you go
Spoiler
Show
War..
War never changes.

Remember what the dormouse said
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

MoRmEnGiL wrote:How good does it feel when an update to new vmc version is done? :P
It's more the relief of a throbbing headache finally going away ;)