What is an Ancient Manuscript??? [Spoilers]

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
skrat6009

Re: What is an Ancient Manuscript??? [Spoilers]

Post by skrat6009 »

Has anyone tried putting three together in the crafting grid with wood on top and bottom like the recipe for bookcase? I would try, but I have not yet found any.
DNoved1

Post by DNoved1 »

Attempting to form a bookcase out of ancient manuscripts (with either planks or siding) produces no result.

Neither does right clicking on any villager types, nor does tossing an ancient manuscript onto the ground near a librarian or priest's feet.
JakeZKAM

Post by JakeZKAM »

Has anyone tried reading it in the end/nether?
DNoved1

Post by DNoved1 »

Reading it in the end/nether does not seem to help.

Neither does reading it with a nightvision glowstone beacon, nor right clicking on an enderman with it (with googles on), nor tossing it at an enderman's feet, not right-clicking on a dragon egg with it (other than making the egg teleport).
MrLemon

Post by MrLemon »

Haven't been able to find any in my world yet, but here are some ideas:

1. Craft an Enchanting Table with it.
2. Click on Enchanting Table with it.
3. Try to read it in a library suitable for a Infernal Enchanter.
DNoved1

Post by DNoved1 »

1. You can not craft an enchanting table using an ancient manuscript.
2. Clicking on an enchanting table opens the enchanting screen as usual.
2.5 As a side note, an ancient manuscript can not be further enchanted.
3. Being in the center of my infernal library does not make it any easier to read.

An idea I am unable to test, and a challenge for those who invest a lot of time into their worlds: Perhaps it has something to do with arcane scrolls, and you may need one of each type or something to read it. I have tested with a single arcane scroll (Projectile Protection) on the hot bar, but that alone does not help.
JakeZKAM

Post by JakeZKAM »

Has someone tried building "The Device" and using it?
MrLemon

Post by MrLemon »

DNoved1 wrote:An idea I am unable to test, and a challenge for those who invest a lot of time into their worlds: Perhaps it has something to do with arcane scrolls, and you may need one of each type or something to read it. I have tested with a single arcane scroll (Projectile Protection) on the hot bar, but that alone does not help.
While there is certainly a kind of logic to that, that's not too consistant with the arcane scrolls representing Steve's knowledge about different mobs though. Unless there's diagrams in the book or something that you need your notes about the mobs to understand or something?

I can't really think of anything other than bookshelves or books that would help Steve to understand a different language other than maybe the canvases, but I doubt they would help.

EDIT: Crafting with an Eye of Ender/Enderpearl/Ocular of Ender? Probably not though...
ignika42

Post by ignika42 »

DNoved1 wrote:Reading it in the end/nether does not seem to help.

Neither does reading it with a nightvision glowstone beacon, nor right clicking on an enderman with it (with googles on), nor tossing it at an enderman's feet, not right-clicking on a dragon egg with it (other than making the egg teleport).

This gave me an idea, what about a lapis beacon? perhaps the "true sight" would allow it to be read?
A madman sat in his empire of dust and ashes. Little knowing of the glory he would achieve. Far away, the idiots and fools dreamt of a shining new future. A future now doomed to never happen.
IzBatt

Post by IzBatt »

I never believe anything posted on April fools on the internet, So I feel as though FC saying it's something something yesterday is a fun 4/1 joke. However to stay on topic, reading them in true sight avails nothing.
"The people who started the war are the reason. And unless you fight to get rid of the reason, nothing will ever change. I fight to get rid of the reason."-Bart
Jeet

Post by Jeet »

How about try reading it during the night and try on different moon phases. I only think of this because of the Moon Runes in the Hobbit movie I just watched.
BobSlingblade679

Post by BobSlingblade679 »

Anyone try collecting xp while holding it? (I don't have one)
BobSlingblade679

Post by BobSlingblade679 »

IzBatt wrote:I never believe anything posted on April fools on the internet, So I feel as though FC saying it's something something yesterday is a fun 4/1 joke. However to stay on topic, reading them in true sight avails nothing.
That's just what he *wants* us to think! :P
PatriotBob

Post by PatriotBob »

BobSlingblade679 wrote:
IzBatt wrote:I never believe anything posted on April fools on the internet, So I feel as though FC saying it's something something yesterday is a fun 4/1 joke. However to stay on topic, reading them in true sight avails nothing.
The amount of paranoia in these forums is truly amazing.
Xeo

Post by Xeo »

PatriotBob wrote:
BobSlingblade679 wrote:
The amount of paranoia in these forums is truly amazing.
... Shhh, someone might hear you ...
myrkana

Post by myrkana »

BobSlingblade679 wrote:Anyone try collecting xp while holding it? (I don't have one)
I went to my server's enderman farm in the end and stood there for awhile with one, nothing changed :/
Rawr :D
DrakenMinisco

Post by DrakenMinisco »

FlowerChild wrote:
Kaitocain wrote:I figured out what they are for.
If you have some evidence that's what they are for, then please present it, as you're looking at a bug.

Meaning they are useless for now and anything that works with them is a bug???

Im also thinking april fools joke. Just seems like FC style :P lol
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

No, as in he said he knew their purpose, when the purpose he stated is completely unrelated to anything I've put in the game.

Hence, if he's seeing some kind of behavior related to the specific use he stated, it's likely a bug.

Most likely, he was just blowing smoke out of his ass by saying he knew what they did, given that he hasn't even bothered to respond since, but I wanted to be sure in case he had found a legitimate issue.
DrakenMinisco

Post by DrakenMinisco »

Ahh I got confused, since he edited his post then the search continues
Kaitocain

Post by Kaitocain »

I edited that post above to say that what I found was not related to the books at all, and was in fact something that is actually cataloged in a previous changelog / on the wiki.

As far as the books go, I'm bunk. I have no idea what they are for. I am keeping the ones I found in a storage chest in my server's library until someone here figures out what they are for, or I get some wild hair up my backside and stumble onto their true purpose.

In other words, ignore me. I'm an idiot.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Fair enough. I never saw the edit seeing as how one normally doesn't go back to reread a post you've already responded to :)
Rianaru

Post by Rianaru »

Has anyone tried looking for different amounts of them in the crafting grid? Perhaps a full crafting grid of Ancient Manuscripts will produce something, but I don't have enough to check
FlowerChild wrote: -----

A short while later:

FlowerChild: What is this pussy shit?
Wafflewaffle

Post by Wafflewaffle »

What do they do??? They are pilling up on my inventory but i still havent figured it out!
Oh great, now nothing can stop the inbred train

Paradox Interactive:
CHOO CHOO!
devak

Post by devak »

Wafflewaffle wrote:What do they do??? They are pilling up on my inventory but i still havent figured it out!
i am pretty certain the text has the same function as right-clicking beds ("you are too troubled to rest").
The Phoenixian

Post by The Phoenixian »

Wafflewaffle wrote:What do they do??? They are pilling up on my inventory but i still havent figured it out!
Please tell me you mean storage room.

Anyways, given the length of the thread and lack of answers, It's most likely that any practical use has not been implemented/does not exist. Given the post on linking RTH to BTW that occurred exactly one day before the 4.64 release. It seems most probable that we will either see more in a future release, say when FC adds the final changes to villagers he talked about, or when "Ancient Manuscripts" are added to Return to Home.
♪ The screams of the souls of the damned and dying,
Fuels for me, the Industry. ♪