Speculating on BTW's story and narrative.

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
Wafflewaffle

Re: Speculating on BTW's story and narrative.

Post by Wafflewaffle »

Mud wrote:
ThePuzzleMasher wrote:Maybe the endermen are soul-less villagers.
I'd always theorized that Enderman in general (not just in BTW) are a form of ascended humans, namely the ones that built the temples and strongholds.
Personally I reserve those bragging rights to Pigmen, who angry their gods, the endermen/dragon, and got banned to the Nether. Villagers then took their place on the overworld.

Now this is were things get pretty crazy in my theory so bare with me. The whole minecraft world is a construct of Steve's mind. He created/found a world and a "backstory" to it (either by the use of magic/science or with within his own head to escape bigger problems in his reality) and somehow found himself trapped within this world. That explain why he has absolute knowledge over the natural elements of this world even though he is obviously not from there. Why he cant be actually be killed and why has no need for sleep, although he has imposed in this world the need to eat. Explains why the world seems to stop when he is not around and why all of Minecraft world seems to be so permanent. They are the way they were imagined and wont evolve or erode with time. Zombies and skeletons are Steve manifestations of his real world demons, new and old, zombies and skeletons (in the closet get it?), always coming back from the dark corners of his own mind. The Nether and the End are deeper layers of his own mind, where his worst demons and nightmares await him.

Eventually Steve finds ways to haverst the power of his own demons, exploiting the "natural" laws he imposed on this world to try find a way back Home. He does the same with other living things in minecraft world as he doesnt persive them as real, only products of his own mind. Cows, sheeps, pigs, wolfs and other inhabitants are then mass "murdered" on his way out of this contructed world.

Somethings are left unanswered though. The level of complexity the MC world have does not match the simplicity of other regular imagined worlds, those used as escapism for troubled minds. These worlds are simple mainly becouse the real world is so complex. MC world though is too filled with details, things like the production of soul infused metals, eletric like magic behavior, mechanical power. This leaves the question, if MC world is a construction of the mind, Steve is even mirroring his real world physics or this contructed world was built by someone who placed a lot of time figuring out details. Someone troubled and obsessive, with dark humor and gritty wit to every detail of every stone, a sadistic man whose pleasure comes from seeing Steve die over and over again... Some one like FC =O

TL DR: Its all a dream, whose dream i dont know. Maybe we should go deeper.

Edit: Ingrish is hard...
Oh great, now nothing can stop the inbred train

Paradox Interactive:
CHOO CHOO!
dawnraider

Post by dawnraider »

My theory for why the abandoned villages exist is because when Steve came through into the world, he ripped a hole in the fabric of space and released enough energy to kill al civilization for a few kilometers.
Come join us on discord! https://discord.gg/fhMK5kx
Get the Deco Addon here!
Get the Better Terrain Addon here!
Get the Vanilla Mix TP here!
Get the Conquest TP here!
Caboose

Post by Caboose »

I imagine Steve's arrival caused a mind-warping wave on the local villages, causing them to go crazy, leading them to abandon their religion(The knocked out church windows), their crops(The abandoned farmland), and ultimately the village themselves(The villages being empty), leading to their deaths in the wilderness.

I can't accurately guess why Steve's arrival caused such insanity right now though.
JakeZKAM

Post by JakeZKAM »

Steve was forcibly sent through the multiverse via the power of Rival Elder Gods (Steve is of course an elder god. His powers sealed away and only allowed to manifest themselves in his knowledge, and ability to regenerate his corporal form.) as such his form was based upon the local villagers (as they are humanoid in form) and he utilized a lone villager as the original catalyst. His presence in this world (in the flesh) caused the followers of the other elder gods to seep into this world and attempt to destroy Steves form around every turn. Except they were too late. Once he had an original body he could respawn at will (however his idea of space isn't cubic when not in his body) and now no one can stop him from releasing his tentac.... ahem uh taking control of this world of minecraft.
Azdoine

Post by Azdoine »

The fact that the church windows are broken (but no other buildings) indicates that something religiously significant to the testificates is involved in the event which led to the abandonment of the villages. BTW as a whole has shown a very cool trend of pseudo-occult/supernatural features and implications, and this is only a continuation of that trend.

The biggest questions to be answered in my mind are:
-Who and what broke the windows?
-Were the windows broken from inside or from the outside?
-Why only the villages near spawn?
-Does the spawn have any special qualities besides being where you first enter the world?
-Were the windows broken before, during, or after the village was abandoned?
Sage

Post by Sage »

Am I the only one that has imagined the arrival of Steve as a big nuclear bomb? That's why the farmland is dry, the spawn point has sort of magnetized, zombles and all sort of creatures start spawning around him and the villager are pulverized.

However, the other vegetation seems unaffected, and only the church windows were blown away...That's why I call Steve a necromantic bomb, because it's a concentrated amount of evilness, dung bringing, leather freak industrial manager...basically the story of an industrial revolution ;P
FlowerChild wrote:
Serjo44 wrote:today i was banned on ip for reason: <dances>
what i have do wrong?
Whatever it is...you just did it again.
ThePowerofTower

Post by ThePowerofTower »

The villagers were determined. They would suss out the demons with which they pretended to interact with on Ouiji board nights. They gathered round, said the chant, and... And...

All they got was Steve. Perhaps the ritual destroyed the village, perhaps that was a result of an occult Rage-Quit. That's what I think ;P

A bit more seriously, though, I like the idea of the Endermen being ascended humans, but are they ascended mentally as well? Perhaps their predecessors were brilliant, and built the fortresses and such, but these evolved into simpler creatures, obsessed with their ability to teleport, whereas they might have more abilities than one can count.
SterlingRed

Post by SterlingRed »

That's an interesting thought though, the villagers summoned Steve. Perhaps the villagers figured out they were to become dragon feed and they knew they needed a savior. So a great many villages all collaborated to summon someone who could do what they could not, defeat the dragon, save them all. In doing so, they knew not what they had unleashed upon the world and the action of summoning Steve, cost them their lives. The ritual in the churches is what blew out the windows.
The Phoenixian

Post by The Phoenixian »

Hmm... I'm not actually sure I like the idea of Steve as an eldritch abomination/otherwise great villain or inherently dangerous entrant into Minecraft's reality. It's certainly amusing the think about but to me it's seems that it undermines the idea of Steve as an avatar of the player's struggle with temptation. A lot of the challenges in BTW are made to tempt us/Steve with power and convenience at the price of taking on an "evil" aesthetic (Especially a lot of the Infernal Enchanter stuff, such as the concentration camps that used to be necessary to acquire looting scrolls.) but a character who was already fully evil would not have the ability or desire to resist these temptations. A human or some other morally ambiguous species who got dumped here, especially if it was by accident, seems to be a better protagonist to serve as a player avatar as they would have a similar meaning to a, presumably likewise innocent, player in committing or avoiding atrocities.

Do like the idea that Endermen and "Humans" may be related though; Steve's species does have a similar, if weaker, ability to pickup and place blocks in the same way Endermen do and he is also capable of crude teleportation in an extreme emergency (such as when he's about to die) which sort of lines up with how Endermen seem to make one final teleport before they expire. I don't think one evolved from the other but I do suspect they share a common ancestor, Steve's species achieving extreme survivability and a pocket dimension in which to carry incredible amounts of stuff while the Endermen attained more powerful and gentile abilities to manipulate blocks and far more precise teleportation and even dimensional hopping.
♪ The screams of the souls of the damned and dying,
Fuels for me, the Industry. ♪
Wookieguy

Post by Wookieguy »

Man, I love this stuff...

While the explosive theories are fun and would surely be an explanation, I tend to think that FlowerChild would stick to a story that is consistent with Minecraft and BTW. He's all about internal consistency in games. So we may want to lean towards theories that include elements already existing.

My theory:

Monsters spawn in a radius around Steve, and only Steve, so it would make sense that the overworld did not have monsters before Steve first spawned. When Steve spawns, so do zombies, which attack the nearby villages. Of course, those villages may not be within the normal spawning distance around Steve, but it isn't much of a stretch to say that the spawn radius is much larger the first time he spawns.

The zombies attack the villagers, and bash in the doors. The surviving villagers all ran to the church to make their last stand, which eventually ended with the zombies breaking through the windows. While this isn't a function in-game, it makes sense since they are able to break doors.

Why do only zombies attack villagers? I see no reason besides the idea that they are the only ones with a sense of smell, and villagers smell good.

Monsters only attack Steve, only spawn around him, and all have the ability to detect him through walls. This shows that monsters were made for the purpose of killing Steve. Steve is destructive to his world and other worlds, so he must be stopped. Who is stopping him? I will default to the most powerful being in the game (arguably) who's intelligence and abilities are an unknown quantity: the Enderdragon. We have to determine what the Enderdragon wants with the three dimensions, and thus we can determine why he dislikes Steve. I know that this whole "Soul Anus" thing has been discussed before, but I'm not well versed in it right now. I'll hold my theories off until I know more.

I have heard the overworld referred to as one big mobtrap, does anyone have an explanation for this? What mobs are being trapped? What is the saw? Is there a constant collection, or is that a future thing?

@The Phoenixian
I agree. I don't see Steve as evil, but that doesn't mean that his antagonists don't. Steve ends up harvesting souls, and it is obvious he knows what they are, but that is simply a temptation he gives into. As far as if he is an "inherently dangerous entrant into Minecraft's reality", it all depends on perspective. He is a danger to the animals, but who really cares? More spawn anyways. Is he dangerous to the villagers? Unintentionally he is, but only because of whoever is spawning the monsters. He is only truly dangerous to the antagonist, so he is a hero in some way or another. What Steve truly has that could be dangerous, is the ability to create progress. Unlike any other Minecraft creature, Steve can build functional machines and learn about the world. Steve is the only one capable of harnessing souls, and the only one who can defeat the Enderdragon.

Oh, right, I guess he is dangerous to the souls. Assuming the souls are something that we should want the wellbeing of, and that whatever Steve is doing to them is inherently bad for them.
Estimated airspeed velocity of an unladen European swallow: 24 mph
DaveYanakov

Post by DaveYanakov »

The dark forces that have shackled Steve's soul to the area of spawn were immense enough to bring forth the multitudes of The Other Place, hence the initial zombies. The villagers who did not turn would have taken shelter in the church, it being the logical place to hide when hell comes to visit, and we can see how that turned out for ourselves. Irrigation ditches do not maintain themselves and the crops fail by the time Steve becomes aware of his new surroundings.

Outside the blast radius, villages have survived but the plaque of the undead is spreading rapidly across the land. Any village you come across is likely to already be under siege.
Better is the enemy of Good
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

On the topic of endermen, I'd just like to throw one element into the mix with regards to why they (and the enderdragon) might inhabit the end dimension:

Have any of you considered the changes I made to the way things work in the end, in terms of the story ramifications? Because there are definitely some clues there that I haven't seen mentioned ;)
Niyu

Post by Niyu »

In the end if if I recall properly, water don't stop flowing(works like in vanilla minecraft) and
Spoiler
Show
baby animals don't grow. Not sure if this is still considered as an spoiler.
So so time is stoped there. Maybe the enderdragon and the endermen are very ancient creatures so they spend all the time they can in the end to avoid the dead.
Mud

Post by Mud »

FlowerChild wrote:Well, the thing is about them getting attacked while they're within monster spawn range is actually pretty cool when viewed from an in-game standpoint rather than viewing it as a failure of the game engine. This is part of what I've been trying to do in integrating aspects of that into story elements. If you accept it at that level, then it becomes a question of realizing that if you explore a region, you're also potentially dooming any villages in the nearby area.
Seems it does have something to do with a proximity to Steve after all.
Zhil

Post by Zhil »

What about silverfish and the end?
Come join us at Vioki's Discord! discord.gg/fhMK5kx
jecowa

Post by jecowa »

A nuclear explosion evaporates all the water of the villages within range and kills the villagers. The radiation causes the dead to rise, so Steve must fend off hordes of undead zombies and skeletons.
Last edited by jecowa on Sat Mar 30, 2013 3:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

jecowa wrote:A nuclear explosion evaporates all the water of the villages within range. The radiation causes the dead to rise, so Steve must fend off hordes of undead zombies and skeletons.
Yeah, that would be ruled out right quick by me not being lame enough by half for that to be the explanation :)
The Phoenixian

Post by The Phoenixian »

jecowa wrote:A nuclear explosion evaporates all the water of the villages within range and kills the villagers. The radiation causes the dead to rise, so Steve must fend off hordes of undead zombies and skeletons.
Were this to be the case I would also expect:

All affected villages would be set on fire by the heat radiating from the fireball.
Good odds of village buildings being leveled by the blast. (Though perhaps not given Minecraft physics).
Significantly more undead arising at night near and downwind of spawn than elsewhere.

And depending on how recent it was, various other features that made the near spawn terrain place look like a blasted hellscape rather than a thriving environment. IE:
Burned forests.
A crater at spawn
Sticky black rain.
Permanent marks of discoloration from where the light of the fireball shone and cast shadows.
♪ The screams of the souls of the damned and dying,
Fuels for me, the Industry. ♪
0player

Post by 0player »

Some observations and I-defenitely-remember-something-like-this-es:
- FlowerChild has stated a number of times that Endermen taint Overworld blocks to rebuild the End.
- Skeletons and zombies resemble Steve, not villagers.
- Yet his flesh is akin to villagers'.
- Nether collects souls which have been harvested by Enderdragon.
- All Endermen are employed full-time.
- Babies do not grow in the End, and water is more infinite there, despite being dangerous for its inhabitants.
- Water cannot be deployed in Nether. By no means. It just evaporates.

So, my guess:
- Souls in Netherrack are actually Endermen's. Enderdragon sucked the life out of them and banished their souls to hell, enslaving them to build a realm for him in process, also granting them ability to walk interdimensionally, presumably with Obsidian, as their look and their towers can tell us. Maybe these towers are beacons for guiding teleports.
- Wither Skeletons are taller than normal ones, so it may be that they are remains of Endermen that were banished to hell alive. When you connect them with souls of damned, contained in Soul Sand, you bring them back to life (or undead-life?), and their rage unleashes upon you. Killing this necroconstruct will allow you to acquire more purified essence of Tall Men magic, called Nether Star, that allows you to do powerful enchantments.
- Vilagers are natural inhabitants of Overworlds, possibly evolved from pigs or so. Their god is unknown; however, Occam's razor forces us tp seek among known entities. So, their god is probably Enderdragon, but he probably forces them to pray to him so he does not convert them to Endermen. That's why their hands are always together: they are endlessly praying to their evil god. (Endlessly, got it?). There's more arguments to it, see below.
- This is below. As mentioned before, powers of Nether Star probably take their roots in Endermen origins. We know that priests are given ability to enchant far superior to Steve's: they can do so without any obsidian, books or any other magical means like scrolls and candles. This also correlates with similar tastes of meat: Steve is related to Villagers, and has similar abilities.
- As I said, villagers probably evolved from pigs. This brings us to pigmen, which were meant to be but were never seen, and Zombie Pigmen, their undead version. They probably inhabited Overworld together with villagers, but they made tools of soft gold instead of hard iron and got wiped by villagers as Neanderthals were wiped by Cro-Magnons. The result of this genocide is that they now inhabit Nether, and they'll attack player if they see him as a threat to their last refuge.
- Now, about Steve specifically. As we determined, he is related to Villagers; he is also immortal and has no time to sleep. You know who also never sleeps? Justice! His ultimate quest is obviously to defeat Enderdragon. His goal is kicking his ass, so, no time to sleep, gotta get some ass kicked! What about immortality? Well, he probably is not!
Steve before and after death, they have virtually nothing in common except for the player name. Not their name – player name! They even have different bodies (fat level, for example).
So, Steve may be an abstract entity like Link – a Hero whose personality does not matter. Now, the part about the monsters being good guys is obvious – they are dead bodies of Steves that Enderdragon or Witches or who knows bring back to life. His black magic fears true light, so undead burn in the sun and can only be raised in darkness. Creepers are probably natural phenomena. They are also probably catnip, but that's another matter.
Now, to the structures.
- Strongholds are probably built by, well, Villagers. I mean, they can build houses, right? The triangle of fortresses helps to guide Endermen back to the End. Unfortunately, there are too few, so their power must be great; there come Silverfish spawners, Silverfish-infested stone and the End Portal.
- Temples are strange. I mean, there are spawners in them! They are probably built by somebody who can raise undead in honor of their undead gods. These are probably Witches, who also try to kill players with hordes of undead. Whether their agenda is connected to Enderdragon's is unclear.
- Villages are built by Villagers. Between constant prayings, that is.
- When Steve came to this earth, Enderdragon impersonated inside of each village church around him and converted them into Endermen.
- Origin of Steve is not clear. As is Enderdragon's point in building End back. With all these silverfish in it. There may be some more hints in Return to Home. If his Home is not here, he was probably specifically selected for this task, and may only return upon completing it. Maybe Enderdragon Egg is what his nation needs?
- Wolves are probably naturally evil. And cats are naturally cute. And squids are derpy. Unnaturally derpy.
- Water hurts soulless beings. This also correlates with Nether absobing it so quickly and perfectly.
- Lava hurts everybody. It also makes Obsidian. It's strange and complicated.
- Lapis Lazuli helps to see things. It is unclear why.
- Redstone is tainted Gold. It is well-known fact. It also happens to be found on the same level as Obsidian naturally forms, so it must be conecrned in connecting Gold to Nether.
- Yet Pigmen tools are not tainted. Maybe they use cloth or something.
- Steve can craft. No one else seems to be able to. It's probably magic.
- You need Blaze rod for brewing, and Blaze powder for activating portals. Blazes are probably magical power that came alive in form of fire. Fire is connected to mystical in Minecraft. We use soul-tainted stone for eternal fire.
- You know what else is connected to fire? Brimstone does! But I do not see how this connects together.
- Please add something to this sort of theory if you have an idea.
- English is hard, especially at 5am.
Rianaru

Post by Rianaru »

I would like to remind everyone of the canvas showing the relation of all the different dimensions(over world, Home, the end, and planes of fire, air, earth, and water). The movement of Steve from home to the over world may have changed or interrupted the flow of souls to and from various dimensions, causing various phenomena, like the undead, and perhaps other things as well.
FlowerChild wrote: -----

A short while later:

FlowerChild: What is this pussy shit?
ThePuzzleMasher

Post by ThePuzzleMasher »

0player wrote:- Wither Skeletons are taller than normal ones, so it may be that they are remains of Endermen that were banished to hell alive.
- Water hurts soulless beings. This also correlates with Nether absobing it so quickly and perfectly.
- Lava hurts everybody. It also makes Obsidian. It's strange and complicated.
- Redstone is tainted Gold. It is well-known fact. It also happens to be found on the same level as Obsidian naturally forms, so it must be conecrned in connecting Gold to Nether.
- Steve can craft. No one else seems to be able to. It's probably magic.
- Please add something to this sort of theory if you have an idea.
-snip-
-Wither skeletons have the bones of steve, so there may be a connection between endermen and steve
-Water also hurt's slimes meaning they either don't have souls, dissolve into water due to physics, or both.
-Lava does not hurt nether mobs so it may hurt anything with a soul.
-Lava hurts overworld undead mobs but that might just be the light coming off of it.
-However I'm not sure about endermen
-Redstone is also used to create obsidian which connects the two.
-Villagers can do crude crafting but that may be the help of something else they're hiding.
-That includes ender eyes which help you kill the enderdragon.
-That is all I could think about right now.
Spoiler
Show
FlowerChild wrote:-Added ability for Vases to blow up if they are broken while containing Blasting Oil.
Gunnerman21 wrote:This will also make Link from the Zelda series cower in fear
Which I bet all those pottery making families will love
0player

Post by 0player »

ThePuzzleMasher wrote: -Wither skeletons have the bones of steve, so there may be a connection between endermen and steve
-Water also hurt's slimes meaning they either don't have souls, dissolve into water due to physics, or both.
-Lava does not hurt nether mobs so it may hurt anything with a soul.
-Lava hurts overworld undead mobs but that might just be the light coming off of it.
-However I'm not sure about endermen
-Redstone is also used to create obsidian which connects the two.
-Villagers can do crude crafting but that may be the help of something else they're hiding.
-That includes ender eyes which help you kill the enderdragon.
-That is all I could think about right now.
Yeah, all people-like entities seem to be connected pretty closely. I think slime is naturally heavier than water, and slimes have no moving parts to swim, so they just drown, there's not much to read into.
About nether mobs: I think the reason for that is that they're not actually corporeal entites, but souls. Steve's ability to hurt them is a question then.
Nice observation about Redstone creating Obsidian. They're both connected to Nether, yeah?
Maybe I was wrong about Villagers and crafting, tho. Inventory seems to be natural ability of Villagers, Steve and reanimated mobs, so maybe they all can use crafting, too.
ThePuzzleMasher

Post by ThePuzzleMasher »

0player wrote:I think slime is naturally heavier than water, and slimes have no moving parts to swim, so they just drown, there's not much to read into
I don't think slimes drown if they don't have lungs and slimeballs are neutral bouyant in water. How I think of it is that the slimes pick up dirt and sometimes things like mobs and steve (apparently steve's actually pretty tasty to them) and then digest them like an amoeba. That excess weight weighs them down and causes them to sink and later dissolve. The digested crap gets released into the water and creates the muddiness of swamps and the slimeballs are pure slime and are neutral bouyant.
0player wrote:Inventory seems to be natural ability of Villagers, Steve and reanimated mobs, so maybe they all can use crafting, too.
Personally I think the zombies and skellies are just reanimated versions of humanoids and what their holding is just what they had when they died (shovels for a grave digger, armor for a knight, bows for an archer) or something that they found on the ground. However he abundance of knights and archers makes me wonder if a war happened earlier in the history of the minecraft world, and how come specifically the archers have their skin decayed away? Maybe I should stop here before I get too carried away...
Spoiler
Show
FlowerChild wrote:-Added ability for Vases to blow up if they are broken while containing Blasting Oil.
Gunnerman21 wrote:This will also make Link from the Zelda series cower in fear
Which I bet all those pottery making families will love
0player

Post by 0player »

ThePuzzleMasher wrote:
0player wrote:I think slime is naturally heavier than water, and slimes have no moving parts to swim, so they just drown, there's not much to read into
I don't think slimes drown if they don't have lungs and slimeballs are neutral bouyant in water. How I think of it is that the slimes pick up dirt and sometimes things like mobs and steve (apparently steve's actually pretty tasty to them) and then digest them like an amoeba. That excess weight weighs them down and causes them to sink and later dissolve. The digested crap gets released into the water and creates the muddiness of swamps and the slimeballs are pure slime and are neutral bouyant.
0player wrote:Inventory seems to be natural ability of Villagers, Steve and reanimated mobs, so maybe they all can use crafting, too.
Personally I think the zombies and skellies are just reanimated versions of humanoids and what their holding is just what they had when they died (shovels for a grave digger, armor for a knight, bows for an archer) or something that they found on the ground. However he abundance of knights and archers makes me wonder if a war happened earlier in the history of the minecraft world, and how come specifically the archers have their skin decayed away? Maybe I should stop here before I get too carried away...
The answer to why all the skeletons are archers is simple: archers last longer than guys that fight with their fists, they got extra time to decay.
Yeah, I mainly meant that they can pick up things, too. Therefore they have inventory.
Azdoine

Post by Azdoine »

I think the main crux of the mystery in BTW, at least for me, is the End realm. Minor spoilers ahead.

The facts:
Spoiler
Show
-The terrain is composed of obsidian (cooled lava) and brimstone-crusted marble. This is intriguing, because brimstone is a component of the 'classical' biblical hell, whereas the nether is far more hellish in appearance than the End.

A common theory seems to be that the overworld is a giant soul/mob trap for the Enderdragon, in which case the End would, in fact, be the real hell of the BTW cosmology.

- In the end, water will not flow away once it is placed, acting like water would pre-HCB. This is the complete opposite of the nether, where water cannot be placed at all.

-No creatures or plants grow older in the end.

-The Enderdragon. It is incredibly, stupidly weak, not having much more strength to its name than a sack of HP. It bolsters itself using the large obsidian towers in the End, drawing white energy out of the capstones and into its body. If the overworld is the enderdragons soul/mob trap, than perhaps it is channeling the endergy into itself with the capstones and towers?

-The Endermen. They can utilise an innate teleportation ability to slip between spaces, even crossing over between worlds without a prop or portal. FC has stated in the past (see the MCF description for the ender specs) that other mobs arrive by teleporting into this world, but observation shows that once they have arrived, they cannot teleport again except to leave the world entirely. Endermen are unique in that they can control their teleportation ability.

Endermen will allow Steve to go about his buisness, but if he gazes upon an Enderman even once, they become enraged and call every Enderman they can find to slay Steve.

When slain, Endermen drop a coalesced drop of green, glassy material (ender pearls). We don't know what it is, except that it can give Steve a taste of the teleporting powers of Endermen. Additionally, when combined with blaze powder, the pearl gains a magnetic (?) attraction to the End realm. Eyes of Ender are nessecary to activate the portals which allow Steve entry into the End. Additionally, when gazed through, Eyes of Ender allow Steve to see holes in reality, and look upon Endermen without provoking anger.

Endermen, despite the water-oriented special properties of the End dimention, cannot bear to touch water, for it burns them as if it were acid.

Finally, Endermen utilise their teleportation abilities to slip into the overworld and steal blocks of mundane matter, before crystallising them into brimstone, and taking them into the End to rebuild/expand the End. Given the speed at which Endermen can complete this process, it is strange that the Overworld is mostly intact, and the End is still small.

-The canvas paintings. One of them depicts what appears to be the Overworld, the Nether, and the End, all linked together. The link from the End to the Overworld seems faded out, but the link between the Overworld and the Nether, and the link between the Nether and the End are active and wreathed in fire, or red energy. There are also 3 other realms depicted, whose properties we can only guess at, linked to the overworld with purple bars. As I understand it, certain materials and liquids interact in special ways around the 3 stronghold portals, and that might represent how each portal is linked to one of the 3 other reams. But I digress.
My Theories:
Spoiler
Show
I have a lot of theories on the subject, but most of them hinge around the idea that the Overworld is a mob/soul trap, and I don't know if that is still a relevant idea given FC first said that almost a year ago.

So the main point for me is that the Enderdragon is pulling souls from the overworld through the Nether (because the link from the Overworld to the End is broken) and into the End, where the Enderdragon consumes the souls for power. It needs the soul power because it is in fact a very weak physical entity (despite it's powerful supernatural abilities concerning souls) and wants to become stronger.

Steve can enter the Nether (but can't enter any of the other 3 realms) because the Enderdragon had to weaken the barriers between the Overworld and the Nether in order to pull the souls through.

Nothing grows because the Enderdragon is directly sapping their rudimentary souls for power, and they have to spend all of its energy repairing the damage caused by that.

In the past, before the enderdragon came to the End, it was a realm perhaps similar to Home, perhaps a part of Home, perhaps someplace different, but it was inhabited by a race of sentient creatures. The Enderdragon completely destroyed their land, and consumed their souls, creating Endermen.

The Endermen have no souls of their own, and instead are powered by the soul current that flows between the Overworld and the End. They can 'swim' through the current, which is how they 'teleport' (really, they just move through an imperceptible medium). When killed, they drop a link into the soul current, which manifests as an Ender Pearl. Steve can use it to leap through the soul current, although the experience is draining and harrowing to him, dealing him damage and shattering the Pearl. Certain other creatures can pass through the soul current, but can only do so to enter or exit their current world (I.E., other mobs such as creepers & zombies).

Endermen take blocks from the overworld and corrupt them into end stone, to rebuild their old world. The enderdragon cannot destroy brimstone due to its semidemonic nature, but it does not let the endermen take too much matter at once from any given place, for fear that they might destroy the mob trap the Enderdragon has worked so hard to create.

Water is poisonous to Endermen because water is the only place where the soul current doesn't flow (almost like oil and water). The Enderdragon chose to flow the soul current through the nether because it was hot enough to evaporate any running water and leave empty space for the soul current to flow through. The inmiscibility of souls and water is also why XP and Dragon orbs don't disperse when they are in water, and also why water doesn't disperse properly in the End.

Endermen become angered when Steve looks at them, because they realise that he is a sentient being and they try to take his soul for their own.

Ender Pearls float thanks to the semiweightless composition of blaze powder. Eyes of Ender must be used to open End Portals, because the Pearls serve as the gate through the soul current, and the blaze powder gives a 'direction' for the Portals to open into.
Last edited by Azdoine on Sun Mar 31, 2013 8:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.