Vanilla Minecraft News Discussion

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
SterlingRed

Re: Vanilla Minecraft News Discussion

Post by SterlingRed »

FlowerChild wrote:
dr_spindizzy wrote:Yep. He also said he'd tried different video cards in case that was the reason. I think he's trying hard to fix the issue, but can't reproduce it.
Yup, and that's definitely an advantage he has as a professional over me when I run into such problems. I've got one system, one video card, one internet connection, and somehow have to figure it out from there :)
My apologies for jumping the gun on my interpretation there. Good reminder for me to keep the pessimism in check. Glad it's being looked into.
finite8

Post by finite8 »

OMG. The lag is horrendous! That machine i complained about before that replaced my farm (machine gun farm), if i run it on any level of smooth lighting, the game turns into the most stuttery piece of shit... and that is on a SMP so the redstone logic isn't even being handled locally. I normally cruise at 80fps+ and it becomes unplayable with smooth lighting.

Damn right they optimized it. They optimized it so much, it's like it's not even there now.
Flowerchild (IRC) wrote:I'm not trying to stop you BTW ..., I'm saying that I think you're a piece of shit...not the same thing
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

finite8 wrote:OMG. The lag is horrendous! That machine i complained about before that replaced my farm (machine gun farm), if i run it on any level of smooth lighting, the game turns into the most stuttery piece of shit... and that is on a SMP so the redstone logic isn't even being handled locally. I normally cruise at 80fps+ and it becomes unplayable with smooth lighting.

Damn right they optimized it. They optimized it so much, it's like it's not even there now.
You know, it makes me wonder if they aren't seeing this not because of video-card/system but rather because they don't have any redstone builds in their test worlds.

As I've gone on about potentially removing in the past, redstone devices tend to emit light when on, but not when off, which causes excessive lighting updates for no good reason. Smells rather fishy to me.
Sarudak
Site Admin

Post by Sarudak »

Maybe someone needs to send them a copy of the world they're getting bad FPS in?
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Sarudak wrote:Maybe someone needs to send them a copy of the world they're getting bad FPS in?
Or tell them to, you know...play their own fucking game :)

If all this is much ado about them not having any redstone builds in their worlds, especially after developing the "redstone update", well then...
finite8

Post by finite8 »

FlowerChild wrote:
Sarudak wrote:Maybe someone needs to send them a copy of the world they're getting bad FPS in?
Or tell them to, you know...play their own fucking game :)
Spoiler
Show
Flowerchild (IRC) wrote:I'm not trying to stop you BTW ..., I'm saying that I think you're a piece of shit...not the same thing
Sarudak
Site Admin

Post by Sarudak »

FlowerChild wrote: Or tell them to, you know...play their own fucking game :)

If all this is much ado about them not having any redstone builds in their worlds, especially after developing the "redstone update", well then...
Come on man we can't have such unreasonable expectations about game developers.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Sarudak wrote: Come on man we can't have such unreasonable expectations about game developers.
I know man...I know. I also try to avoid assuming people in other professions should be willing to sample their wares.

Take chefs for example. I'm personally way more comfortable eating at restaurants if I know the chefs won't go anywhere near the food they prepare.
BlueRavenGT

Post by BlueRavenGT »

I worked out the UI for placing chests a while ago.

FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

BlueRavenGT wrote:I worked out the UI for placing chests a while ago.
I said it's tricky, not that it isn't doable. I'm personally not a fan of how you did it there, which is an indication of how tricky it actually is ;)
BlueRavenGT

Post by BlueRavenGT »

Any suggestions about how I could improve it?
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

BlueRavenGT wrote:Any suggestions about how I could improve it?
Well, I personally don't think hard and fast auto-connect rules like that are the way to go about it, as they're not necessarily intuitive for the player, potentially resulting in a lot of breaking then replacing chests to get it right.

Personally, I'd favor a system where the player specifies through their own actions whether they want a chest to connect or not and to which one. Honestly, given the current interface conventions in MC, I'd probably lean towards shift clicking on a chest to connect to it while placing another, and that's probably the route I'll take if I decide to tackle this one myself.
BlueRavenGT

Post by BlueRavenGT »

Ok. I actually did this before shift clicking was implemented in vanilla, and hadn't considered that. :)
MoRmEnGiL

Post by MoRmEnGiL »

One thing I really hate is that lighting updates in redstone devices.

Need a clock? Tough luck, choose between fps tanking repeater/torches, or fps tanking pistons :P

Worse thing is, making it light level 15 around the clock doesn't necessarily help.

EDIT: Insanity:

War..
War never changes.

Remember what the dormouse said
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

One additional bit of irony that I'd like to point out in this is Dinnerbone's old and repeated statements about how what they had coming would be "better than Optifine".

Ahem...yeah.
Ulfengaard

Post by Ulfengaard »

FlowerChild wrote:One additional bit of irony that I'd like to point out in this is Dinnerbone's old and repeated statements about how what they had coming would be "better than Optifine".

Ahem...yeah.
More hype = less game. That's not universal, but true often enough in my experience.
Awfulcopter wrote:...nothing says harmony with nature better than leaves that bleed. AMIRITE?
dawnraider wrote:I think we need to stop asking how stupid people can be. I think they're starting to take it as a challenge :)
MoRmEnGiL

Post by MoRmEnGiL »

Well I don't doubt they want to bring something better than optifine to the table (or at least wanted to), but I'm a bit puzzled by their apparent inability to sort the lighting system out. I don't think they are that bad in actual coding, which means that it is a matter of time allocation and priorities. Which is puzzling. Fix your game mojang!
War..
War never changes.

FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

MoRmEnGiL wrote:Well I don't doubt they want to bring something better than optifine to the table (or at least wanted to), but I'm a bit puzzled by their apparent inability to sort the lighting system out. I don't think they are that bad in actual coding, which means that it is a matter of time allocation and priorities. Which is puzzling. Fix your game mojang!
My opinion on it is that they are focusing on the "proper" way of doing things in terms of structure, rather than the optimized way, and are of the mistaken impression that will somehow sort itself out and result in good performance.

Notch was definitely aware of optimization being what makes games possible. I don't get that impression about the current team, especially with some of the pie in the sky ideas they have expressed with regards to the mod API.

Programmers do not equal game programmers man. It's a very specialized skill set, and one I am beginning to despair the current team doesn't possess. At present, I see them rewriting large swaths of Notch's code, and it makes me extremely nervous, as I think they've yet to deliver on any of their promises of improved performance, while hurting it on more than one occasion (1.3 being a prime example).

Anyways, just my two cents as to how my opinions are shifting with time.
MoRmEnGiL

Post by MoRmEnGiL »

Well, notch may have made one or two mistakes (one of which led us all here ;] ) but I cannot remember him being lax with such issues. He even gave up one of his weekends working on fixing stuff, when the issues were big with the current release.

Imho, 1.3 is when all hell broke loose. Wish they never merged ssp with smp in the first place.. It has only gone downhill from that release on..
War..
War never changes.

FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Yeah, Notch knew what he was doing, there's no question there. Sure, there are a few things I didn't agree with him on (like wolves), but I always respected the shit out of him and was perfectly comfortable designing my mod on top of his work. In other words, I trusted him.

It's just not the case with these guys, and that's extending to more and more aspects. Previously I thought it was just a matter of them not being game designers, but I'm not so sure that's the extent of it anymore.

Anyways, as usual, just further motivation for me to get the fuck out of Dodge :)
dawnraider

Post by dawnraider »

I am so glad that you are actually competent (far more than that) in game design and keep turning out awesome stuff like HCH. I honestly would have left MC back in beta 1.8 and never looked back. I didn't like that update (mostly from terrain changes. Why did they change what wasn't broken. This also seems to be a recent (year long)trend they have followed) , and while 1.0 may have had some cool stuff, that was when it all went south. So thank you very much for keeping me on board with such a great game (which I effectively consider you the designer, and Mojang the fucker-uppers). I have thoroughly enjoyed playing BTW and I know RTH will be even better.
Come join us on discord! https://discord.gg/fhMK5kx
Get the Deco Addon here!
Get the Better Terrain Addon here!
Get the Vanilla Mix TP here!
Get the Conquest TP here!
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Ok, someone mentioned on MCF that 1.6 is some kind of "mob update". Has anyone seen any confirmation of this from a reliable source?

If witches and bats are any indication, this makes me extremely nervous.
TheGroovyWorkshed

Post by TheGroovyWorkshed »

There will be new mobs in 1.6, but not 1.5
From Jeb's twitter.
Source: https://twitter.com/jeb_/status/304301377818066944

I'm hoping this doesn't mean they're going to 'improve' mob AI again. Who am I kidding?
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

TheGroovyWorkshed wrote: From Jeb's twitter.
Source: https://twitter.com/jeb_/status/304301377818066944

I'm hoping this doesn't mean they're going to 'improve' mob AI again. Who am I kidding?
Fuck me.

I think I was holding out lingering hope that it might just be a rumor.

Can anyone think of a nice safe area of the MC design that we can all start bitching at Mojang about needing attention to try and distract them from working on more critical aspects? I might have thought biomes or something, but after they went and coated the world in a ridiculous number of jungles, I'm not so sure that's safe either.
magikeh

Post by magikeh »

Magical Shit
Show
Syruse|Work: i like magic shit
MagikEh: ...
MagikEh: >.>
MagikEh: <.<
»» MagikEh walks to the bathroom
Syruse|Work: hahaaaaaaaaa
Syruse|Work: wait