Vanilla Minecraft News Discussion

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
damnitmcnabbit

Re: Vanilla Minecraft News Discussion

Post by damnitmcnabbit »

Give them an inch...
Spoiler
Show
An infinite food source with additional storage space that repels creepers and attacks enemys. (face palms on top of face palms)
skrat6009

Post by skrat6009 »

damnitmcnabbit wrote:Give them an inch...
Spoiler
Show
An infinite food source with additional storage space that repels creepers and attacks enemys. (face palms on top of face palms)

I REALLY don't understand.... Why?

Please tell me this is only possible in creative and that seing rediculously stacked things will not occur in survival.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

skrat6009 wrote:Please tell me this is only possible in creative and that seing rediculously stacked things will not occur in survival.
I don't think there's a way to do this in survival...at least I hope not.

If so, you can be sure my axe is at the ready ;)
CycloneSP

Post by CycloneSP »

Anyone order some chopping blocks? I've got plenty. XD

As messed up as that image is, I will say, the concept is rather intriguing... in a totally bonkers kind of way.
"So tell me, what's it like living in a constant haze of stupidity?" - Hiei

"Snow is not fire, so it can still rain." -Kaitocain
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

CycloneSP wrote: As messed up as that image is, I will say, the concept is rather intriguing... in a totally bonkers kind of way.
I think it's only intriguing in a "I just took intro to programming! Looks what I can do!" way.
Katalliaan

Post by Katalliaan »

Thankfully that's something that can only be accessed by editing NBTs, not something players in survival have access to.
Open in case of fire
Spoiler
Show
Not now stupid - in case of fire
CycloneSP

Post by CycloneSP »

well, I do find it humorous how a stack of entities like that instantly trivializes almost all challenge present in minecraft all at once. Kinda sad really, that there is so little challenge actually present that such a small exploit can completely negate it all.
"So tell me, what's it like living in a constant haze of stupidity?" - Hiei

"Snow is not fire, so it can still rain." -Kaitocain
Foxy Boxes

Post by Foxy Boxes »

Spoiler
Show
All's fine and dandy 'til your dog dies and the rest of it goes running off :P
Seriously though, the level of what... is staggering.
On the internet you can be whatever you want. It's surprising so many people choose to be stupid.
finite8

Post by finite8 »

FlowerChild wrote: I think it's only intriguing in a "I just took intro to programming! Looks what I can do!" way.
Yeah, i saw some video of a Spawner minecraft that spawns TNT with a normal Minecart on Top that could be ridden by a player, so the result was some kind of bastardized Minecart Rocket.

Dafuq?

Also, i think sethbling did a Minecart on a bat. Looks like the most useless mob in the game got a BS use. Hoo-fucking-ray for that.
Flowerchild (IRC) wrote:I'm not trying to stop you BTW ..., I'm saying that I think you're a piece of shit...not the same thing
Magnavode

Post by Magnavode »

skrat6009 wrote:
Spoiler
Show
An infinite food source with additional storage space that repels creepers and attacks enemies. (face palms on top of face palms)
I REALLY don't understand.... Why?

Please tell me this is only possible in creative and that seeing ridiculously stacked things will not occur in survival.
What's the fuss about? Stacking mobs is only possible by editing a mob's nbt data, it's not possible to stack mobs ingame, not even in creative. It's meant to give map creators the ability to create custom mobs ala the spider jockey.
ExpHP

Post by ExpHP »

Magnavode wrote: What's the fuss about? Stacking mobs is only possible by editing a mob's nbt data, it's not possible to stack mobs ingame, not even in creative. It's meant to give map creators the ability to create custom mobs ala the spider jockey.
See, you say that now, but we all know that popular demand will dictate that animal stacking becomes an Anvil feature in 1.5.2.
Magnavode

Post by Magnavode »

ExpHP wrote:See, you say that now, but we all know that popular demand will dictate that animal stacking becomes an Anvil feature in 1.5.2.
No, we don't know actually.

Here's what I think is going to happen. Either everyone is going to forget about this feature and you'll only see it every so often (like fireworks, remember those?) in a custom map or Mojang is going to implement the feature in creative (what you're describing) though not in survival (same way as naming mob eggs in creative).

------------->8-------------

To add to the discussion about trap chests on the previous page: (double) Trap chests are able to be placed right next to normal chests without the 1 block gap. Normal double chests need the gap supposedly because of technical reasons (chunks, chests joining to other chest when they shouldn't).
Last edited by Magnavode on Tue Mar 12, 2013 1:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pseudosavior

Post by Pseudosavior »

Magnavode wrote: What's the fuss about? Stacking mobs is only possible by editing a mob's nbt data, it's not possible to stack mobs ingame, not even in creative. It's meant to give map creators the ability to create custom mobs ala the spider jockey.
The fuss isn't that they added the feature into the game, really, it's the fact that with the time they used to add such a ridiculous feature that 95% of the playerbase won't even SEE much less use, they could have added something much more beneficial to the game. It's along the lines of opportunity cost, and each minute spent on features that don't add anything really take away from the game much more than people realize.
Sarudak
Site Admin

Post by Sarudak »

Pseudosavior wrote:
The fuss isn't that they added the feature into the game, really, it's the fact that with the time they used to add such a ridiculous feature that 95% of the playerbase won't even SEE much less use, they could have added something much more beneficial to the game. It's along the lines of opportunity cost, and each minute spent on features that don't add anything really take away from the game much more than people realize.
The sad truth is that many of us don't want that. I'm happier if they waste their time adding features that no one will see versus features that intrude on the actual game because regardless of how they use their time it seems their ideas as a general rule suck.
Magnavode

Post by Magnavode »

Pseudosavior wrote:The fuss isn't that they added the feature into the game, really, it's the fact that with the time they used to add such a ridiculous feature that 95% of the playerbase won't even SEE much less use, they could have added something much more beneficial to the game. It's along the lines of opportunity cost, and each minute spent on features that don't add anything really take away from the game much more than people realize.
That's not what I got from damnitmcnabbit, skrat6009, Foxy Boxes nor finite8 comments. My point is that a lot of the comments in this thread are from people with absolutely no knowledge of gameplay dynamics (me included) who are flapping their mouths about feature x/y that Mojang just implemented, without even knowing what it is or what its effect on the gameplay will be. This annoys me to a great extend as this community is better than that.
Last edited by Magnavode on Tue Mar 12, 2013 2:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Magnavode wrote:To add to the discussion about trap chests on the previous page: (double) Trap chests are able to be placed right next to normal chests without the 1 block gap. Normal double chests need the gap supposedly because of technical reasons (chunks, chests joining to other chest when they shouldn't).
Actually, that was covered in this thread when trapped chests were first announced. There are a number of ways to bypass that technical limitation. All that's needed is internal state (either through blockID, metadata, or the tile entity already associated with it) to indicate which chest is connected to which. It's a bit tricky design-wise on the UI end, but that's about it.

IMO, being able to place them next to normal chests is more of a side-effect of trapped chests than an actual feature, and it's just one that provides a player workaround to an existing problem rather than an actual solution. Is it really reasonable that the player requires trip wires to just place chests next to each other? Of course not.
PatriotBob

Post by PatriotBob »

Maybe it's just me, but when I see all that entity stacking, all I can think is that someone at Mojang decide to clean up the code that minecarts/boats/spider jockeys/saddled pigs use and centralize it for cleaner code. As a result the have a versatile system allowing for any manner of entities riding entities.

So entity stack is a feature you get for free when writing the code cleanly. I'll get them a cookie or a gold star or something...
finite8

Post by finite8 »

PatriotBob wrote:Maybe it's just me, but when I see all that entity stacking, all I can think is that someone at Mojang decide to clean up the code that minecarts/boats/spider jockeys/saddled pigs use and centralize it for cleaner code. As a result the have a versatile system allowing for any manner of entities riding entities.

So entity stack is a feature you get for free when writing the code cleanly. I'll get them a cookie or a gold star or something...
I agree however, a bug that we jokingly refer to as a "Feature", is still a bug. I guess i would like to see game mechanics solve this problem for itself. The bat shouldn't be able to fly due to the weight of the minecart and gets crushed. The cat jumps off of the Creepers head. The villager gets out of the minecart. etc.

The new "Entity Stacking" mechanic only really seemed to serve the purpose of doing the TNT and Spawner minecart. Everything else is exactly the same thing as what i did with Red Alert when i changed the data values and made Tesla Dogs and Grenadiers that threw V2 rockets.
Flowerchild (IRC) wrote:I'm not trying to stop you BTW ..., I'm saying that I think you're a piece of shit...not the same thing
destineternel

Post by destineternel »

Well 1.5 is in the wild but from the mojang.com blog post...

http://www.mojang.com/2013/03/minecraft ... published/
PS. We know the readers of this blog are a little bit more hardcore about Minecraft than most, so we should tell you that a 1.5.1 already is on its way. We plan to snapshot this tomorrow, and hopefully get it out as soon as possible.
<DaveYanakov> I know I overuse them and put them in inappropriate places but they just feel so good.
<icynewyear> shit is delicious
<MagikEh> Don't try to give me da D
WiduX

Post by WiduX »

You know what that means! It's time for Mojang to break their record of number of minor releases again!
At this speed, we'll have 1.5.10 in a week or two...
EvanT

Post by EvanT »

Why do I keep reading this.. it gets me down each time.. Well it seals the fate of my minecraft installation the second there is a playable version of RTH.

[edit:spelling]
"We are not shooting for realism,.. we are shooting for awesome!"
STrRedWolf

Post by STrRedWolf »

Thus why you never pull any .0 release.
Shengji

Post by Shengji »

STrRedWolf wrote:Thus why you never pull any .0 release.
Would you like to update?

Is better than wolves out for this release? No, then No!
7 months, 37 different border checks and counting.
magikeh

Post by magikeh »

I think the only thing that has peaked my interest of the latest update is that of the new crafting controls or whatever you want to call them, the thing where you can click and drag to 'smear' the crafted items around in a bench. Most definitely going to make crafting much much easier. (Do wish i had it when i was grinding to make my hellfire beacon... so many friggin blocks!)
Magical Shit
Show
Syruse|Work: i like magic shit
MagikEh: ...
MagikEh: >.>
MagikEh: <.<
»» MagikEh walks to the bathroom
Syruse|Work: hahaaaaaaaaa
Syruse|Work: wait
MagikEh: xD
Syruse|Work: fuck
Syruse|Work: NO
Syruse|Work: DONT
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

magikeh wrote:(Do wish i had it when i was grinding to make my hellfire beacon... so many friggin blocks!)
The thing is...you can just make stacks of blocks already by shift-clicking a bunch of stacks of dust to the crafting grid.

It's a nice little feature, but I don't think the impact will be too significant in practice.