Hardcore spawning... well played.

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
Larmantine

Hardcore spawning... well played.

Post by Larmantine »

Here I was, sitting in my main mountain base building a fulily auto-urn machine, just an ordinary day with BTW. When suddenly i took a fall while building an aquaduct, I died. First time with HC spawn enabled. I was quite scared because i had all my sfs/diamond gear and many BD's, DB's and BB's on me. I was about to ragequit when i appeared in some other mountainy pit next to jungle. But then I decided, ah what the hell, and tried to find something to survive with cause it was already late. Found an exposed dungeon in a desert nearby, with redstone and iron in it, built a compass, and a little outpost with some basic stuff, in case I die again. Waited for the morning, and then I had one of the most exciting 3 mc-day venture I have had in my whole MC history. Luckily enough, I built a diamond beacon some time even before HC beacons, to test it out, but now that it has been improved, my compass led right to it. Thanks FC, for adding a true Adventure Mode.
weldaSB wrote:Edit: grammer
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Re: Hardcore spawning... well played.

Post by FlowerChild »

Very glad Hardcore Spawning is working out so well for non SMP play. As many of you know, I was hesitant to make it the default option as I had originally intended it for anarchy play, but I found myself having so much fun with it in SSP as well, that I figured it was the right move.

There's certainly a thrill that comes along with having to "start from scratch" like that in the course of normal play. I find it both makes death more meaningful, and actually goes a long way in providing additional diversity to gameplay in established worlds, as you get to experience that "new world" sensation from time to time without actually starting one.
JakeZKAM

Post by JakeZKAM »

Would Hardcore spawn be affected by having your original spawn on an island? I've been testing it in my regular world but I keep on ending up either on or right next to my little island. It does take at least two days to get anywhere from it BTW.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

JakeZKAM wrote:Would Hardcore spawn be affected by having your original spawn on an island? I've been testing it in my regular world but I keep on ending up either on or right next to my little island. It does take at least two days to get anywhere from it BTW.
Well yes...Hardcore Spawning looks for a valid spawn location within a radius. If all that's within that radius is ocean, then you'll get assigned to whatever available land there is.
SilenV

Post by SilenV »

While we're discussing HC spawn mechanics, could you tell me what happens with the spawn selection if there's no land at all for a very large area around the spawn, so much that your first spawn in the map is in the middle of the ocean?

The seed in question is 590716041 (for 1.4.7, BTW 4.51) if you want to try it out. What I'd like to know is if the complete lack of land will make me always spawn in the same ocean coordinates, or if there is the possibility of it moving around significantly?
Psion

Post by Psion »

I'm playing a skyblock map, and I always spawned either on or close to what land there was available that I built. I did have the occasional "spawn in air and fall to the void" deaths, but they were always within a few blocks of some sort of land I put there.