BTW and Adventure Mode

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
tom_savage

BTW and Adventure Mode

Post by tom_savage »

So, me and my friends are messing around with making an adventure map and are using BTW in it because of the advanced functionality it gives you when making mechanics as well as the fantastic aesthetics. Seeing how the storyline for a minecraft adventure map would most likely have to be very linear, we were brainstorming ideas to expand and make it interesting and stumbled upon this amazing use of BTW. In adventure mode players can rotate gears and gearboxes! So in dungeons, towers, etc, we can setup lines of mechanic power that need to receive power in order to progress, and have the players make sure they are setup correctly and working! Not sure if it was intentional or not, but I know FC has a knack for unintentionally making awesomeness! And if it WAS intentional, thanks!
Elevatator

Re: BTW and Adventure Mode

Post by Elevatator »

Jup, I think everything works fine.
In one of my maps I play with Adventure Mode on, and Hardcore Spawn disabled, but Bonus chest on.
You can do everything as normal, except breaking blocks without the right tool
⠀⠀⠀⢀⣀⣠⣤⣤⣤⣶⣶⣶⣦⡀
⠀⠀⢠⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣦
⠀⢀⣾⣿⣿⠟⠉⠀⠀⠀⠀⠈⠻⣿⣿⣷⣄
⠀⣼⣿⣿⠏⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠘⣿⣿⣿⣧
⣰⣿⣿⣿⡀⠀⢀⣴⣾⠿⣵⣦⠀⠀⣿⣿⣿⠇
⠙⢿⣿⣿⣇⠀⠈⠛⠁⠀⠈⠁⠀⣠⣿⣿⡏
⠀⠀⠻⣿⣿⣷⣤⣀⣀⢀⣀⣠⣾⣿⣿⡿
⠀⠀⠀⠈⢻⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⡥⠤⠒⣢
⠀⠀⠀⠀⣀⣽⣿⣿⡿⠿⠿⠛⠉⠁⣀⣤⣶⠟⠁
⠀⠀⢴⣭⣥⣶⣾⣿⡇⠀⠀⠀⠀⢸⣿⣿⠁
⠀⠀⠀⠀⢀⣿⣿⣿⡷⠀⠀⠀⠀⢸⣿⣿⣧⡀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⢾⣿⣿⣿⣤⣤⣤⣤⣤⣼⣿⣿⣿⠇
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠉⠁
SuperCraften

Post by SuperCraften »

I have always loved BTW as an adventure mode concept, but for building maps I think a block which sends out mechanical power could be very useful when building, as it would cut down on space and lag issues! But then again FC doesn't really support creative mode...
Prof_Ion

Post by Prof_Ion »

SuperCraften wrote:I have always loved BTW as an adventure mode concept, but for building maps I think a block which sends out mechanical power could be very useful when building, as it would cut down on space and lag issues! But then again FC doesn't really support creative mode...
I think I see where you would want that. (and why it would be useful...maybe) But flowerchild has said on at least one occasion that he does not support adventure mode (officially) either. Not sure he supports it at all.
But if you are going to make an adventure map why not just implement the cool asthetics of the windmill and water wheel into your map? or you could always hide the water wheel underground. Since you are in creative mode already you could have water source blocks and the sort.
Kaitocain wrote: Snow is not fire, so it can still rain.
SuperCraften

Post by SuperCraften »

I think I see where you would want that. (and why it would be useful...maybe) But flowerchild has said on at least one occasion that he does not support adventure mode (officially) either. Not sure he supports it at all.
But if you are going to make an adventure map why not just implement the cool asthetics of the windmill and water wheel into your map? or you could always hide the water wheel underground. Since you are in creative mode already you could have water source blocks and the sort.
Yeah, thanks for the information on adventure mod! never realised... Lag is the only real issue, but its not terrible
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

SuperCraften wrote:Yeah, thanks for the information on adventure mod! never realised... Lag is the only real issue, but its not terrible
If you have more information on this supposed "lag", I'd be much obliged.

If you are experiencing a performance drop (and please specify either drop in frame-rate or actual SMP lag) due to just using mechanical power, then I would be rather surprised and it would be an issue I would likely look into.

I think it more likely you're just pulling this out of your ass to try and justify putting in the block you're asking for though.
tom_savage

Post by tom_savage »

The biggest thing we're finding is it opens up a whole new type of puzzle as opposed to the stereotypical, size-intensive, redstone puzzles. For instance, you can have a series of rooms with axles and gearboxes, that when lined up correctly, powers a pulley, opening a gate. No redstone required. No advanced circuitry, just mechanical power.
Six

Post by Six »

This has suddenly gotten my brain juices flowing again, there are all sorts of fun things you can do with BTW adventure maps. I really do wish though that adventure mode either let you customize the block breaking rules, or at least removed being able to break so much stuff with your fist.
tom_savage

Post by tom_savage »

New notes for puzzle ideas:

With hardcore bucket enabled, 1 bucket of water over the side of a water wheel will power a turntable on the 3rd setting to turn once.
Player must get blasting jelly to specific area to progress by blowing up dirt wall vs cobble, or whatever. Dangerous way to get there, one wrong bump....

New notes for aesthetics:

Powered blocks of SFS makes for great chimneys! Redstone dust on top, level on side. No fire, just smoke!

If anyone is having as much fun with this as we are, please post your puzzles, traps, aesthetics, etc! Also notes on Adventure mode rules. I'm not currently up-to-date on minecraft, still a version behind. But currently the only thing players can break are glass objects. Glass Blocks, Panes, and Glowstone (not sure about lamps).
emptychild

Post by emptychild »

A great use for turntables that I've found is they make great hidden "buttons." You can make them look like the wood top is part of the the floor or make it look natural in other ways, then put a buddy block under it and the buddy block will tick each time you right click the turntable. As far as I know there isn't another block in game that will trigger a buddy block just by clicking it that doesn't immediately draw attention. ie not a chest. (Your mileage will obviously vary depending on texture pack)
https://twitter.com/FlowerChildXL/statu ... 5676872704

This just in! RTH to contain a TARDIS!
Spoiler
Show
FlowerChild wrote:But, before someone asks: the box will be blue. I like blue. It's a nice soothing color.
EtherealWrath

Post by EtherealWrath »

As saws take a short time to cut wood, a horizontal row of powered saws, with a row of block dispensers placing wood.
As each dispenser has a short delay, a well timed sprint will allow you to run across the wood before it's cut.

-Likewise a similar mechanism can be achieved with a floor of hibachi.

I'll have to pop on my world and test, but I don't think It's possible to boil players in a cauldron/crucible.
Phantom screams echo through the ruined facility
A horrible silence builds an eerie tranquility
The souls of many innocent fill the air
The hope they all died with scattered down there
Six

Post by Six »

Something yet to be mentioned yet: Platforms, platforms, platforms. They are wonderful for really cool looking elements in puzzles, for lowering into gaps which were impeding the progress of the player or for using as gates which can be raised. Plus a bunch more stuff, they really are versatile.

One thing that is bothering me though, is that ideally I would love to be able to set the gamemode to adventure, and then just let the player play without the need for any "Do no look behind the curtain" style rules. However a big stickler in this is that in adventure mode players can break levers with their fists and then place them wherever they want. I guess it's possible to design around this, but it really does limit a bunch of things you could otherwise do. Anyone know if there is any easy way to change adventure mode block rules, or the rules for what tool works best on what blocks?
Benanov

Post by Benanov »

Six wrote:One thing that is bothering me though, is that ideally I would love to be able to set the gamemode to adventure, and then just let the player play without the need for any "Do no look behind the curtain" style rules. However a big stickler in this is that in adventure mode players can break levers with their fists and then place them wherever they want.
You can also break and place redstone torches.
There's only one V in my name, thanks.

<TaterBoy> I figured out why there's so much lag. We have too much iron.
Talrea

Post by Talrea »

well you could try moving any redstone wiring away from the walls abit to limit the usefullness of that, or reverse the signal, or add in 'and gates' or 'nor gates' so if they do say try breaking a lever for something, it could trigger a permanant shutdown/activation of the system.

maybe finding a lever for a system (or finding where to put it) could be part of the challenge.