Hardcore Beacons *SPOILERS, CHEAT FREE*

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Re: Hardcore Beacons *SPOILERS, CHEAT FREE*

Post by FlowerChild »

And fixed for next release. Made me realize I always build my pyramids in a certain order which let this go unnoticed :\
Syruse

Post by Syruse »

I am now prepared for the coming of the Soulforged Steel Beacon :)
Spoiler
Show
An IRC Conversation wrote: [19:24] <Ribky> on the bright side, i did my first modifications with the MCP today... :)
[19:24] <Horizon> what's it do?
[19:25] <Ribky> it eats your goddamn animals
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Syruse wrote:I am now prepared for the coming of the Soulforged Steel Beacon :)
I doubt it ;)
Syruse

Post by Syruse »

Man, now you've got me sacred. :P

I can't wait to see what the effect is, I'm all hyped up now. :)
An IRC Conversation wrote: [19:24] <Ribky> on the bright side, i did my first modifications with the MCP today... :)
Ethazeriel

Post by Ethazeriel »

Spoiler
Show
And that right there is a beautiful sight, though it wasn't exactly easy to acquire. Last night I killed two more withers, and had my first experience with Hardcore Spawn. With a full set of SFS armor, broadhead arrows a battleaxe and a power 4 bow the fight itself isn't exactly challenging, especially when you're using regen potions. What I didn't consider, however, is quite how long the Wither 2 effect they give you lasts. So there I was, feeling victorious with two Nether Stars in my inventory, when suddenly I was dead. I respawned in the middle of an unfamiliar forest, and it took several minutes before it sunk in exactly what had happened: My regeneration potion had run out and I had withered away, and spawned several thousand blocks away from my spawnpoint. I was lucky with redstone and iron, so I was able to make my way home and recover my items, but holy shit that was a tense moment. After farming wither skeletons for an hour I really did not want to lose those stars, not to mention my steel gear. In the end though I do like the result, especially the night vision. Given that I live in the middle of a giant ocean biome, the ability to see under the water will come in very handy :)
Spoiler
Show
Ferrus.Manus

Post by Ferrus.Manus »

Can someone tell what "true sight" atually does? I won't have access to my computer for at least a week and curiosity is killing me.
Last edited by Ferrus.Manus on Tue Jan 22, 2013 2:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Syruse

Post by Syruse »

Ferrus.Manus wrote:Can someone tell what "true sight" atually does? I won't have acces to my computer for at least a week and curiosity is killing me.
It gives you the same effect that endergoggles provide, without that green overlay.
tin

Post by tin »

FC, I would like to apologise for not responding earlier as I haven't had a lot of free time lately.

So I was experimenting with beacons when I noticed that all of them pull the compass towards them, which makes me question the true purpose of the iron one. I've had it working both in the nether and the overworld and have yet to notice an effect. I haven't tried the end yet.

Also, while playing around with the iron beacon in the nether I discovered an interesting side effect: it makes the compass in the overworld point aimlessly like in the nether, however that effect stops if you restart minecraft and I have to go back to the nether and re-place an iron block to get it to work again. On a related note, the diamond beacon seems to overide tool enchantments: I only have enough diamonds for a 1 level pyramid and I was working with a fortune 3 iron pick when I hit some diamond ore, I mined two and only got a single diamond for each, so I went back up and deactivated the beacon then mined the rest and got between 2 and 4 per ore. I'm not sure if its a bug , intended behaviour, or me being very unlucky.
I'm sorry if the above belongs in bug reports but I didn't want to spoil it for anyone who might want to find these things out for themselves so I posted it here.
I've had a lot of fun experimenting with the beacons (I normally just read the spoiler threads) even if it has been a little frustrating, and I really love your mod.
Thank you, FlowerChild for all the work you put into this and keep up the good work.
Ecoweb

Post by Ecoweb »

I have a beacon in the Nether made of Iron and it appears to keep Ghast away. I can't prove it however I have yet to see a single one show up and I'm in the open. However i still have all the Pigman getting in my way.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

tin wrote: So I was experimenting with beacons when I noticed that all of them pull the compass towards them, which makes me question the true purpose of the iron one. I've had it working both in the nether and the overworld and have yet to notice an effect. I haven't tried the end yet.
Trust me, there's a definite purpose :)

Experiment further and it will likely become apparent. You'll remember that the screenshot I posted of the first beacon I added to my world for use as a player was an iron one, and that one is definitely staying where it is.
tin wrote: Also, while playing around with the iron beacon in the nether I discovered an interesting side effect: it makes the compass in the overworld point aimlessly like in the nether, however that effect stops if you restart minecraft and I have to go back to the nether and re-place an iron block to get it to work again.
Yup, that's a bug that I already resolved for next release that I caught while working on the previous one. It wasn't updating properly when the player changed dimensions.
tin wrote: On a related note, the diamond beacon seems to overide tool enchantments: I only have enough diamonds for a 1 level pyramid and I was working with a fortune 3 iron pick when I hit some diamond ore, I mined two and only got a single diamond for each, so I went back up and deactivated the beacon then mined the rest and got between 2 and 4 per ore. I'm not sure if its a bug , intended behaviour, or me being very unlucky.
Can you or someone else please verify this? It seems a little odd to me as I wrote code specifically to use the higher level enchant if the player had it from both tools and a beacon. There's of course potential for a bug there, as I had to write custom code for enchantments as beacon effects (with vanilla, they're all potion effects), but it seems strange to me given that I know I specifically handled that contingency.
ScubaPlays

Post by ScubaPlays »

In retrospect, it's probably good this didn't work:
Spoiler
Show
Heightren

Post by Heightren »

FlowerChild wrote:
tin wrote: So I was experimenting with beacons when I noticed that all of them pull the compass towards them, which makes me question the true purpose of the iron one. I've had it working both in the nether and the overworld and have yet to notice an effect. I haven't tried the end yet.
Trust me, there's a definite purpose :)

Experiment further and it will likely become apparent. You'll remember that the screenshot I posted of the first beacon I added to my world for use as a player was an iron one, and that one is definitely staying where it is.
Can I suggest that the iron beacon would work as some kind of spawn anchor? I still haven't played to this point, but given the importance you gave it to your base and Hardcore Spawn activated this could be an option. Plus, I don't know if it was on purpose, but you said: "staying where it is". A passing hypothesis only.
The story of my life...
Sh!t, I don't remember what my life was like!
tin

Post by tin »

FlowerChild wrote: Can you or someone else please verify this? It seems a little odd to me as I wrote code specifically to use the higher level enchant if the player had it from both tools and a beacon. There's of course potential for a bug there, as I had to write custom code for enchantments as beacon effects (with vanilla, they're all potion effects), but it seems strange to me given that I know I specifically handled that contingency.
After testing it out again on some coal it seems I was just very unlucky and the beacon works as intended. I would like to apologize for assuming it was a bug.
Also I really love the iron beacon in the nether. I haven't even noticed its effect because it was up full time and I was waiting for something to show up, but I really love it and I doubt I'll be taking it down anytime soon, and as an added bonus getting lost while exploring the nether is now a thing of the past.
I've been enjoying your work for close to a year now and have been lurking these forums for almost as long, and I would like to thank you for putting in so much time and thought into this as this is clearly the best mod out there.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

tin wrote: After testing it out again on some coal it seems I was just very unlucky and the beacon works as intended. I would like to apologize for assuming it was a bug.
Oh good, and no worries. I realize the effects of some of these beacons are rather subtle, plus with the other bugs that creeped through, I can understand you being suspicious.

Things should be much more refined with the next release. Unfortunately, the beacon functionality has so much going on beneath the hood that a few things were bounds to slip through the cracks.
tin wrote:Also I really love the iron beacon in the nether.
Hehe...trust me in that it definitely has its overworld uses as well, but it might take you guys awhile longer to figure that side of it out as it's more subtle and only really starts to become apparent with what starts to happen when you have multiple beacons going ;)
Six

Post by Six »

FlowerChild wrote: Hehe...trust me in that it definitely has its overworld uses as well, but it might take you guys awhile longer to figure that side of it out as it's more subtle and only really starts to become apparent with what starts to happen when you have multiple beacons going ;)
Hmmm, this makes me wonder.. people have mentioned here that all beacons pull the compass towards them. Perhaps having an iron one in the overworld overrides all the others and makes the compass point to it? Can anyone test this?
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Six wrote: Hmmm, this makes me wonder.. people have mentioned here that all beacons pull the compass towards them. Perhaps having an iron one in the overworld overrides all the others and makes the compass point to it? Can anyone test this?
It's actually a fair bit more complicated than that, but I will say that you're beginning to get on the right track ;)

I think what largely has been missing here is the overall realization of what is actually happening with compasses and beacons.
Psion

Post by Psion »

Hmmm... compasses were changed to point to the world's (0,0) point, right...? So if the iron beacon makes the compasses point toward them, and having multiple beacons... enhance? this effect, could it be that the iron beacon shifts the (0,0) point toward itself? o-O Could it be with enough powered beacons you could make it so you spawn at your base, as a seriously high cost, high reward alternative to beds?
Shengji

Post by Shengji »

Psion wrote:Hmmm... compasses were changed to point to the world's (0,0) point, right...? So if the iron beacon makes the compasses point toward them, and having multiple beacons... enhance? this effect, could it be that the iron beacon shifts the (0,0) point toward itself? o-O Could it be with enough powered beacons you could make it so you spawn at your base, as a seriously high cost, high reward alternative to beds?
If that's the case (and as soon as I sort out Java, I'll test this) then an iron pyramid is super cheap in my opinion for that functionality (It makes death literally trivial, and food not something you need to bother with - just kill yourself and re-spawn with a full belly), presumably more layers would decrease the re-spawning area!
7 months, 37 different border checks and counting.
Psion

Post by Psion »

I was thinking more along the lines of say, an iron pyramid shifting the 0,0 point closer to your base, like say maybe 5% of the distance between the pyramid and original point per layer, or something. Even a fully powered one would only decrease the distance somewhat, and if you wanted to have the spawn point at your base, you would need to enhance it by having other pyramids, which aren't nearly so cheap. Especially considering you would need to kill the wither multiple times. Sure, it might seem cheap to someone with a highly developed base, but the sheer number of resources wouldn't come cheap at all to someone just starting out.
odranoel

Post by odranoel »

i havnt gotten enough wither heads or matireals for a beacon, so i cant try them yet.

but has anyone noticed any negative effects yet? so far iv not seen anyone mention any. but FC did say there would be some. we seem to only be scratching the surface so far in understanding how they truely work.
xCrazyboy

Post by xCrazyboy »

Psion wrote:I was thinking more along the lines of say, an iron pyramid shifting the 0,0 point closer to your base, like say maybe 5% of the distance between the pyramid and original point per layer, or something. Even a fully powered one would only decrease the distance somewhat, and if you wanted to have the spawn point at your base, you would need to enhance it by having other pyramids, which aren't nearly so cheap. Especially considering you would need to kill the wither multiple times. Sure, it might seem cheap to someone with a highly developed base, but the sheer number of resources wouldn't come cheap at all to someone just starting out.
Nope...I have three Iron Pyramids setup (Max) and it does not make you spawn closer. I tried 3 times, disabling them all, and then one each time......I went threw hell testing this theory as it kept spawning me 1000+ meters away............lots of deaths during my adventure back to my base...x_x Hardcore spawning = Hardcore indeed..

Threw this testing, I fear death now. Thank you Flowerchild.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

xCrazyboy wrote:Threw this testing, I fear death now. Thank you Flowerchild.
Hehe...you're welcome :)

Death is bad, mkay?
redeyedmonstar

Post by redeyedmonstar »

ScubaPlays wrote:In retrospect, it's probably good this didn't work:
Spoiler
Show
This seems to have been ignored and made me laugh my ass off.
I hate to put a suggestion here, but this needs to do something, even if it is just make a huge crater.
EtherealWrath

Post by EtherealWrath »

odranoel wrote:i havnt gotten enough wither heads or matireals for a beacon, so i cant try them yet.

but has anyone noticed any negative effects yet? so far iv not seen anyone mention any. but FC did say there would be some. we seem to only be scratching the surface so far in understanding how they truely work.
Beacons seem to emulate their base material, diamond= good fortune, glowstone= night vision.
So if you build it out of something disgusting you'll get some pretty bad effects being blasted into the atmosphere.
Phantom screams echo through the ruined facility
A horrible silence builds an eerie tranquility
The souls of many innocent fill the air
The hope they all died with scattered down there
Psion

Post by Psion »

You're thinking entirely the wrong direction with what a creeper beacon would theoretically do! It's obvious that the effect would be... to make you unable to approach cats! What worse negative effect could there be than that?!?

:P