Light it up? Or blow it to hell?

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
SterlingRed

Light it up? Or blow it to hell?

Post by SterlingRed »

Alright so I decided to start over on a new btw world tackling it with a different play style and base layout than I've previously used. I also wanted to experience all the hardcore modes from the start, as dumping them into my existing previous world worked, but I want the early game experience with them on.

Anyway my selected base location is near spawn in an extreme hills biome spilling out into a plains biome. I have a potential problem of proportions I've never experienced before. The area at least 100x100 is basicly swiss cheese. The largest cave system I've ever seen runs from surface to lava level with the caves basicly a twisted tangle self intersecting mess that I've given up hope on sorting out in any logical order to keep track of where I have and haven't been.

The problem I'll be having is how do I light all this to prevent mob spawn in order to build an effective mob grinder? I can't realisticly find every branch of the caves by simply wandering around. I could create a grid and blast vertical shafts every few chunks to check for unexplored openings that way. But I need large quantities of gunpowder for that which means I essentially need a mob grinder. And i can't get much of a grinder without lighting up the caves.

I love this location and the caves are making getting resources without branch mining overburden very effective, to the extend I actually have a cobblestone shortage. So moving isn't an option I like much. Any advice? How do you guys effectively find and light up caves for a grinder?
Jay42
Location: Walking behind you; Sleeping besides you; Talking around you.

Re: Light it up? Or blow it to hell?

Post by Jay42 »

Since you can't really afford explosives (and you know you don't want to dig down), I think your only realistic option is to find all the caves manually... I can't give you much help there, since my surprisingly good navigation skills rarely ever get me lost in a cave, but I recommend you to remember this thread: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=5744

...also your spot sounds like a really interesting building ground. Mind sharing the seed with us? I could use some inspiration :)
Stormweaver wrote:BTW: where the line between morality and immorality is a mile wide and has loops in some places.
Backups. Backups! BACKUPS!!
Graphite

Post by Graphite »

Easy solution: build your base in the tunnels ;)
Battlecat

Post by Battlecat »

I use a fairly time consuming technique but one that I've had good luck with:

1 - Light up as many caves as you can via traditional caving. This will help with the second step.

2 - Mob sounds are audible within about 16 blocks or so. I start digging 1x2 test shafts from surface to bedrock in a grid centered on my spawner. As I dig, I listen for mob sounds and dig towards them if I hear them. It's time consuming but the already lit caverns will force mob spawns into the unlit areas and the grid density gives you reasonable odds of hitting the dark caves that didn't spawn mobs.

3 - Once a shaft is confirmed clean, I re-fill it with a cobblestone pillar and cap it with a marker so I know I've explored that column.

Hope this helps.
Talrea

Post by Talrea »

you could build your base at bedrock, then all the stuff from farms/ mobspawners you can channel down to your base...
just a silly suggestion.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

You don't need to light up all your caves.

Look, I've been playing the same world for 2 years now. I've had a big mob trap in the center of my base since a couple of months into that. I also center all my branch mining around the mob trap.

When I come across a cave, I light it up, with added satisfaction because I know it's improving the output of my mob-trap slightly. It actually makes mining interesting in that when I hear monster sounds, I'm motivated to look for where they're coming from.

I've always gotten great output from my mob-trap regardless...it's just gotten better with time as I've filled in more of the darkness, but I still know that I'm also not even close to having covered it all.

So my advice is this: don't go all OCD and try to fill it all in at once. Not only will it be a huge pain in the ass and not a lot of fun, you'll actually be detracting from your long term enjoyment in removing some of the incentive from exploring while mining. Instead, cover the surface in torches, then light up caves as you come across them. You'll be happier for it.

You definitely don't *need* to have a maximum output mob-trap or anywhere close to it to benefit from it.
SterlingRed

Post by SterlingRed »

Graphite wrote:Easy solution: build your base in the tunnels ;)
I think I'll actually have quite a bit in the sub level once things develop, especially item movement. But like I said, I just started this world, haven't even put a windmill up yet. So even a mob grinder is a ways out.

@FC I wasn't intending on going whole hog with my lighting first. I was just initially shocked with the extent of the caves and figures I'd ask how others have approached clearing them. Your right in that the surface is a good place to start and my drop rate will get better as I go. I guess I'll start with the surface and see how bad it is and if any special effort to the caves is even needed. Thanks.

EDIT: I was asked about a seed, maybe i'll post some screenshots at some point in the future when i get a chance but for now, seed: -7412918758357655543
EtherealWrath

Post by EtherealWrath »

As someone who has similar problems, Using the blocking off rule in addition to left/right hand torches is probably the best way to go;

Place torches on the left.
At a cave branch, take the immediate left fork.
If you hit a dead end, back track to the last fork and wall off that route. Take the next available left.
If you loop back onto a lit cave, wall off that way through so you have a dead end.
-In abandoned mines, knock out the left hand props/fences.

You will eventually explore every branch, and the constant blocking off makes it very easy to navigate back and forth.

Interestingly, as each explored section is effectively a linear tunnel, even if 2 players explore with different hands, the net result should still be navigable.
Phantom screams echo through the ruined facility
A horrible silence builds an eerie tranquility
The souls of many innocent fill the air
The hope they all died with scattered down there
SterlingRed

Post by SterlingRed »

I usually do this following the right wall without too much trouble. With this system I have large open areas with at least a dozen tunnels leading off of them extending into even other large open areas or looping back on itself. Often going to the right led to intersections where I had to choose to go to a tunnel up, middle, or down often with up heading to a new cave complex and I'd even end up back at the surface. Toss in a couple of deaths by creeper bomb, three ravines, and the 'Oooh shiny' effect of diamonds and emeralds and the right hand rule i use became shot. Now I have a mess. I'm slowly narrowing down the side branches and learning where the central large areas are so that's helping me navigate ans return where I left off on multiple trips at least. Right now I'm only exploring the caves to get resources I need lighting as I go. Once I get the early tech tree going I'll get started on a grinder and see where I'm at.
I've pulled 33 emeralds out of this cave system so far. And a stack of iron blocks. Madness.
tom_savage

Post by tom_savage »

I setup quarries all around my base and let them mine everything out. Then light up the bottom, or fill it with water. Wait...this is BTW...right.

Just kidding. In all serious, everyone else has covered basically what to do. If you want the mob trap underground, then you're going to have to do a lot of cave exploring, and jack up your volume to take care of pockets. Alternatively you could just build a mob grinding tower and sit on top of it.
magikeh

Post by magikeh »

If you're really intent on getting the maximum spawn rates out of your mobfarm by lighting up the surrounding land. My solution is to use the x-ray machine. Haven't touched one in a while, but if they do still work there is a possible route you could take.
Magical Shit
Show
Syruse|Work: i like magic shit
MagikEh: ...
MagikEh: >.>
MagikEh: <.<
»» MagikEh walks to the bathroom
Syruse|Work: hahaaaaaaaaa
Syruse|Work: wait
MagikEh: xD
Syruse|Work: fuck
Syruse|Work: NO
Syruse|Work: DONT
SterlingRed

Post by SterlingRed »

magikeh wrote:If you're really intent on getting the maximum spawn rates out of your mobfarm by lighting up the surrounding land. My solution is to use the x-ray machine. Haven't touched one in a while, but if they do still work there is a possible route you could take.
Well of course, cheating solves a lot of problems! And it also solves the problem of game immersion and fun too!

Nah man, I'm not looking for the max spawn rate. As fc said above the spawn rate will get better as I go about my world. I'm starting to light up the surface first.
Rawny

Post by Rawny »

Quick technique I use. Carry stacks of a block type that is uncommon in caves, I use jungle planks but even cobble could be used if mindfull. I place these blocks down as I make my way through the cave system placing a torch on the side of the block that is pointing to the way out. No matter how twisted it gets, if I find any series of these, out it will lead.

I also seal off deadends that have been fully looted with a wooden wall. A door to indicate I need to return as its not looted fully, or a missing block so I can still peer inside, knowing it looted.

Just what I usually do
haphazardnuke wrote:"Quick and Easy" is incompatible with Better than Wolves. Try using the patch, "Sense of Accomplishment".