The state of Strategy games

This forum is for anything that doesn't specifically have to do with Better Than Wolves
Wafflewaffle

Re: The state of Strategy games

Post by Wafflewaffle »

Minecraft was to be a RTS game. and Castle Story (from Kickstarter) seems to be trying the same road.

Man people on this forum are really passionate about their Strategy! I fell at home. =)
Oh great, now nothing can stop the inbred train

Paradox Interactive:
CHOO CHOO!
Sarudak
Site Admin

Post by Sarudak »

I have high hopes for castle story...
Rianaru

Post by Rianaru »

Elevatator wrote:In case of strategy/god games, I´m hoping for the War for the Overworld
They seem to want to make a game in the spirit of Dungeon Keeper, wich I loved as a kid (and still do)
You might want to check out Impire. It's made by Paradox, which made Crusader Kinds and Europa Universalis, if I'm not mistaken, as well as Majesty 2, if you've heard of that. It looks like it'll be a little more tongue-in-cheek than most games, but I'm looking forward to it just to have that Dungeon Keeper experience again ^.^
FlowerChild wrote: -----

A short while later:

FlowerChild: What is this pussy shit?
Ulfengaard

Post by Ulfengaard »

Warhammer is my favorite IP of all time, really. I find it sad that it has had such a terrible run in the videogame industry. True, Dawn of War was fun. And, I even forced myself to like Warhammer Online for a while. But, all in all, there hasn't been a good game which really captures the grim darkness that is Warhammer. The mod 'Call of Warhammer' for Medieval 2 was as close as I've gotten to the epicosity I really wish for, and it was imba as all hell.

It makes me sad. -_-

There are some really excellent strategy games out there. Distant Worlds, for instance, really bridges the gap between 4X and RTS. I've also heard good things about Fallen Enchantress, though I think that one is turn-based.
Awfulcopter wrote:...nothing says harmony with nature better than leaves that bleed. AMIRITE?
dawnraider wrote:I think we need to stop asking how stupid people can be. I think they're starting to take it as a challenge :)
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Rianaru wrote: You might want to check out Impire. It's made by Paradox, which made Crusader Kinds and Europa Universalis, if I'm not mistaken, as well as Majesty 2, if you've heard of that. It looks like it'll be a little more tongue-in-cheek than most games, but I'm looking forward to it just to have that Dungeon Keeper experience again ^.^
Paradox is one of the companies I follow most closely now. They range from hardcore strategy to *very* interesting action/strategy hybrids like Mount & Blade, and their titles are always very hardcore in one way or another.
Detritus

Post by Detritus »

FlowerChild wrote:
Rianaru wrote: You might want to check out Impire. It's made by Paradox, which made Crusader Kinds and Europa Universalis, if I'm not mistaken, as well as Majesty 2, if you've heard of that. It looks like it'll be a little more tongue-in-cheek than most games, but I'm looking forward to it just to have that Dungeon Keeper experience again ^.^
Paradox is one of the companies I follow most closely now. They range from hardcore strategy to *very* interesting action/strategy hybrids like Mount & Blade, and their titles are always very hardcore in one way or another.
They also publish Magicka, which is quite a difficult game.
All parts should go together without forcing. You must remember that the parts you are reassembling were disassembled by you. Therefore, if you can't get them together again, there must be a reason. By all means, do not use a hammer.
Wafflewaffle

Post by Wafflewaffle »

So just from what i remember from kickstarter we have Wasteland2, Shadowrun, Planet Annihilation and Castle Story. All funded and in development. So at the very least there is demand for strategy, the offer is weak.

We have all forgot Company of Heroes 2, about to come out. It looks awesome even tough i prefer fantasy titles.
Oh great, now nothing can stop the inbred train

Paradox Interactive:
CHOO CHOO!
Rianaru

Post by Rianaru »

Detritus wrote: They also publish Magicka, which is quite a difficult game.
I've actually just gotten started on that one. It's an interesting take on turn-based strategy, although once you figure out how to get units and heroes leveled up, it's not nearly as much of a challenge.

A short while later:

BinoAl

Post by BinoAl »

Rianaru wrote:
I've actually just gotten started on that one. It's an interesting take on turn-based strategy, although once you figure out how to get units and heroes leveled up, it's not nearly as much of a challenge.
...What?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magicka
Detritus

Post by Detritus »

Rianaru wrote:
Are you sure we're talking about the same game?
All parts should go together without forcing. You must remember that the parts you are reassembling were disassembled by you. Therefore, if you can't get them together again, there must be a reason. By all means, do not use a hammer.
Rianaru

Post by Rianaru »

My bad...got that mixed up with their civilization clone :(

A short while later:

Detritus

Post by Detritus »

Rianaru wrote:My bad...got that mixed up with their civilization clone :(
You mean W:MotA?
logorouge

Post by logorouge »

I used to be worried about the future of the RTS side of strategy games, but lately, waiting on Planetary Annihilation to come out and messing around in A.I. War kinda changed that.
Azdoine may have wrote:Well, we are harvesting souls [...] Sure, they get trapped in a piece of metal, but at least they get to see the world.
Utterbob

Post by Utterbob »

Supreme Commander was one of my biggest let downs in recent years. It has so much potential in the engine, in fact it's probably fair to say the engine itself realises a lot of that potential... but holy homogeneous factions Batman!

Some actual balance that isn’t balance by similarity and that game would have been pure awesome.
Rianaru

Post by Rianaru »

Detritus wrote:
Rianaru wrote:My bad...got that mixed up with their civilization clone :(
You mean W:MotA?
Yeah that one. Man I feel stupid now...

A short while later:

haphazardnuke

Post by haphazardnuke »

I was introduced to the RTS genre by Age of Empires, and have loved the genre ever since.

It's sad to see what AoE's become, and it seems the same has happened to other series as well.

I haven't lost all hope yet, though. Planetary Annihilation will be epic if they can live up to what they've promised. Another game that I haven't played yet but that sounds intriguing is Achron. It claims to be a "Meta-Time Strategy" game, in that while it's basically an RTS, you can alter past commands at will, jumping around the timeline of the battle in hopes of coming out on top in the future. It's a weird concept to wrap your head around, but from watching some commentated matches, it seems to me to work fairly smoothly.
PizzaSHARK wrote:It's fun trying to quietly assassinate your kids and family members
DaveYanakov

Post by DaveYanakov »

I dunno, there does seem to be correlation but I'm not seeing causation here. Relic ran long for years after they aquirred the license and made Dawn of War. Kuju Entertainment are the ones who made Fire Warrior back in 2003 and while that was a broken mess, they've continued to push titles ever since.
Better is the enemy of Good
Extreme Boyheat

Post by Extreme Boyheat »

FlowerChild wrote:Actually, Firaxis seems to be one of the few studios that's demonstrated a capacity for finding some kind of middle-ground and develop strategy games with mass appeal.
Even though both Civ V and the new XCOM have declined a bit from the original I can sorta agree on this.

Seen Paradox mentioned, I assume every one here is as eager as a horny rabbit for Europa Universalis IV? :D
http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/sho ... es-Archive
Rianaru

Post by Rianaru »

Extreme Boyheat wrote: Even though both Civ V and the new XCOM have declined a bit from the original I can sorta agree on this.
I don't know about XCOM, but I thought that Civ V did well with eliminating unit stacking and changing to a hex based board. I don't really play enough of the series to comment intelligently on the other aspects of gameplay, but I was glad that it wasn't possible to spam units on the same tile any more. It made chokepoints a lot more viable. And I thought the hex based board was good because it encouraged more strategy/tactics in army composition and deployment.

A short while later:

SterlingRed

Post by SterlingRed »

I do enjoy strategy games and I grew up playing aoe and StarCraft. I've messed around with civ, Sims, tycoons, and a few risk&axis and allies like turn based games.
I do say the mass appeal strategy largely destroys the RTS gameplay I enjoy, but I'm still in love with the StarCraft franchise. Maybe because I'm a fanboy and have spent so much time with the original I tend to overlook sc2s pitfalls, but I loved the campaign experience in sc2. I thought it was done very well with some unique gameplay mechanics and I'm really looking forward to hots. Plus there's always the good multiplayer custom map to jump into when you want variety from the typical gameplay.

Its been sad to see the focus of gaming on fps mass appeal games, but the recent startups already mentioned coupled with minecraft as proof that indie style games have much to offer that the big gaming industry is missing, there is hope for RTS again.
Rugaard

Post by Rugaard »

haphazardnuke wrote: Another game that I haven't played yet but that sounds intriguing is Achron. It claims to be a "Meta-Time Strategy" game, in that while it's basically an RTS, you can alter past commands at will, jumping around the timeline of the battle in hopes of coming out on top in the future. It's a weird concept to wrap your head around, but from watching some commentated matches, it seems to me to work fairly smoothly.
I've got that and yes its very interesting, especially later in the game, resources seem to be scarce and you have to carefully build your army. the time control thing can be a bit annoying though, half the battles I've had against a computer opponent ended up not happening.
Xylord

Post by Xylord »

Glad Castle Story was mentioned, it's the kind of Indie games I feel I'm the only one who's heard about 'em.

I've been following it's development since its beginnings, I was at first interrogated because the developpers lived in my city, Montreal, and actually pretty close to my home. And then, as the creative process went on, I saw how much potential it had. Basically, the environment is a world made of flying islands, which you excavate to make bricks and build castles (Thus the game's name) using your tireless bricktrons, all of that from a third-person point of view, like most other RTS. Be wary though, that from the night dark creatures may come...

The construction mechanics are a whole lot of fun, and the voxel system is beautifully used. I highly recommend donating to access the beta, or at least keeping a close eye on this potential gem.
Gormador

Post by Gormador »

Xylord wrote:-snip-
Why the hell would you do that ?
Having a "tekkit" signature here, on this forum, necroing(ish) a topic ?

Man trolls are bad at being sneaky.
FlowerChild wrote:If you have a suggestion, I recommend that it have pure manna from heaven flowing forth from its vagina to warrant posting it at this point in time.
Xylord

Post by Xylord »

Gormador wrote:
Xylord wrote:-snip-
Because I happen to like this modpack? Is there anything wrong with that?
Also, I don't know what is the usual definition of necro here, but the one of most forums on which I've been is that you post in thread that isn't relevant anymore, like a solved bug report, or a month old thread about an obsolete update, or such. As far as I know, strategy games still exist, don't they?
And please, let's try not steer this thread off topic.

Btw, I didn't mention it in my last post, but Castle Story's devs make weekly, informative blogs on their progress, and also share some programming tips they find about. Rarely have I seen game makers so transparent with their progress.
sargunv
Site Admin

Post by sargunv »

He's been banned.