Why we need RTH now more then ever

A place to talk to other users about the mod.
finite8

Why we need RTH now more then ever

Post by finite8 »

On Twitter, jeb posted this:
As of today I will take the lead role for Minecraft: Pocket Edition, as well as the PC version. I have some catching up to do...
Someone replied with:
I truly miss when minecraft used to have one objective and every update didn't truly complicate things. Try to keep it simple
and Jebs response was:
Not much has changed since hunger was introduced. You don't need to use any of the new stuff.
Ahem. Cough cough. Gasp.

So, Jeb now has more power over Minecraft. He also doesn't give two fucks what he puts in because his attitude is "Don't like it, don't use it".

Please FC. Save us from Jeb and save MC from my deleted items folder. I loved the game so much, it is making me sad seeing it go the way it is. There use to be real heart and soul go into Minecraft. Now, they just don't care. Now it's just a job to maintain and that's it.
Flowerchild (IRC) wrote:I'm not trying to stop you BTW ..., I'm saying that I think you're a piece of shit...not the same thing
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Re: Why we need RTH now more then ever

Post by FlowerChild »

Hehe...thanks man.

Yeah, I personally need RTH more than ever as well. Added to my original desire to distance myself from the vanilla design (for reasons the above is just another symptom of), with the Forge community now intent on ripping off BTW entirely with this BWF thing because I refuse to join them , I have all the more reason to get the fuck out of Dodge and start in on a new project.

So yes, don't worry...Home is a coming :)
Sarudak
Site Admin

Post by Sarudak »

Return to home!
Return to home!
Return to home!
Return to home!
RETURN TO HOME!
Panda

Post by Panda »

Im a little uncertain of the fate of my old world when RTH come out.... Will i have a reason to keep playing it?
Never say no to Panda.
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Panda wrote:Im a little uncertain of the fate of my old world when RTH come out.... Will i have a reason to keep playing it?
Yes. I think it best to think of this as a different mod entirely. They'll be a "story" tie-in, in terms of it being a sequel, and I'll certainly be exploring similar design concepts, but at the same time, it will likely be a very different experience from BTW that will allow both to stand on their own.
Sarudak
Site Admin

Post by Sarudak »

I'm really looking forward to a fresh take on the Minecraft idea that comes from one of my favorite designers... Too bad I'm not independently wealthy or I'd fund a team for you flower.
jehanum

Post by jehanum »

FlowerChild wrote:Hehe...thanks man.

Yeah, I personally need RTH more than ever as well. Added to my original desire to distance myself from the vanilla design (for reasons the above is just another symptom of), with the Forge community now intent on ripping off BTW entirely with this BWF thing because I refuse to join them , I have all the more reason to get the fuck out of Dodge and start in on a new project.

So yes, don't worry...Home is a coming :)
Anyone else think the timing on this is rather convenient for the Forge team? I mean this comes out just as Flower's wrapping up BTW and shifting to RTH. Now they can claim they got Flower to stop BTW by making BTF, and their drones will lap it up. I realize you couldn't care less what those people think of you Flower, it just sucks that this will play into their hands.
Gears

Post by Gears »

finite8 wrote:On Twitter, jeb posted this:
As of today I will take the lead role for Minecraft: Pocket Edition, as well as the PC version. I have some catching up to do...
In all honesty, I lost faith in Pocket edition when they added the nether reactor core...

Back on topic, I too am looking forward to RTH.
FlowerChild wrote:For example, I'm feeling such a whim right now, and look forward with anticipation to the feeling of satisfaction that shall come from acting upon it.
Former Drill Sergeant and cranky gamer
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

jehanum wrote: Anyone else think the timing on this is rather convenient for the Forge team? I mean this comes out just as Flower's wrapping up BTW and shifting to RTH. Now they can claim they got Flower to stop BTW by making BTF, and their drones will lap it up. I realize you couldn't care less what those people think of you Flower, it just sucks that this will play into their hands.
Oh yeah, I fully anticipate that happening, and just like with them taking over two weeks to update Forge to 1.3, I'm sure that precise dates and references will have absolutely zero impact on that bullshit spreading like wildfire.

And once again, it highlights the advantages of not giving a fuck about public opinion ;)
Sarudak
Site Admin

Post by Sarudak »

I never even thought of it from that angle...
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

Sarudak wrote:I never even thought of it from that angle...
You can't do what I do, and do it for this extended period of time, and allow yourself to give a fuck about public opinion man. There's just no way or you'll wind up a quivering mass in the face of people's demands.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again: I *am* human, and this stuff does hurt.

However, I love what I'm doing with this mod so much that I'm willing to endure that and I've adapted my personality with time to be able to cope with it and minimize the damage it does to me on a personal level. That has largely meant me becoming a more and more thick-skinned and vicious bastard with time, at least in terms of my online persona.

And again...I challenge anyone to find a mod author that has been at it as long as I have, and with such a big audience, that has been able to maintain this kind of direct contact with the community. My personality isn't just a personal oddity. The situation basically necessitates it.

In general, I really can't afford to be human in my online persona given the attention on it. To give you an example, in a rare moment where I let it through and mentioned the death of my cat, it took very little time at all for the trolls to come after me about it, and having looked over threads in a few troll hangouts, they're *still* going on about it, keeping it in their ammo bag to use against me at key moments.

I think if you take a moment to consider that, you'll understand that I simply can not afford to allow my humanity to play a role in how I act online. I simply need to act in the best manner that occurs to me at the time, move on, and deal with the consequences as they arise. I definitely make mistakes along the way, some which haunt me at a personal level, but at the same time, even showing that will inevitably be used against me and thus disrupt development of the mod.
Extreme Boyheat

Post by Extreme Boyheat »

No Jeb, why? :(
DemonButter

Post by DemonButter »

FlowerChild wrote:
Sarudak wrote:I never even thought of it from that angle...
You can't do what I do, and do it for this extended period of time, and allow yourself to give a fuck about public opinion man. There's just no way or you'll wind up a quivering mass in the face of people's demands.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again: I *am* human, and this stuff does hurt.

However, I love what I'm doing with this mod so much that I'm willing to endure that and I've adapted my personality with time to be able to cope with it and minimize the damage it does to me on a personal level. That has largely meant me becoming a more and more thick-skinned and vicious bastard with time, at least in terms of my online persona.

And again...I challenge anyone to find a mod author that has been at it as long as I have, and with such a big audience, that has been able to maintain this kind of direct contact with the community. My personality isn't just a personal oddity. The situation basically necessitates it.

In general, I really can't afford to be human in my online persona given the attention on it. To give you an example, in a rare moment where I let it through and mentioned the death of my cat, it took very little time at all for the trolls to come after me about it, and having looked over threads in a few troll hangouts, they're *still* going on about it, keeping it in their ammo bag to use against me at key moments.

I think if you take a moment to consider that, you'll understand that I simply can not afford to allow my humanity to play a role in how I act online. I simply need to act in the best manner that occurs to me at the time, move on, and deal with the consequences as they arise. I definitely make mistakes along the way, some which haunt me at a personal level, but at the same time, even showing that will inevitably be used against me and thus disrupt development of the mod.
Respect.
SterlingRed

Post by SterlingRed »

finite8 wrote: and Jebs response was:
Not much has changed since hunger was introduced. You don't need to use any of the new stuff.
I don't think I've seen a statement from Jeb before that shows how unqualified, unprofessional, and out of his league he is in two sentences before. This sums up the problem with minecraft entirely.
Ive been in the professional working world less than Jeb has, and I would not dream of saying such a thing to a customer. In fact, if I did I'd find myself in a heap of trouble, if not unemployed. I understand the gaming work environment is very different than mine, but there are some very basic guidelines for customer interaction and representation of your employer that are being violated here.

That's it for me. I've always thought that the future of minecraft was in rough shape but that it wouldn't ultimately end up a disaster because I thought Jeb had some sense of talent and responsibility. That statement however, basicly says that Jeb does not care about the original mc community nor about player retention. He didn't say that exactly, but the attitude if his response was that he doesn't care, and from recent features, its clear which audience he is targeting. Oooh shiny.

Damn shame. Minecraft had so much potential. As of now, I don't play minecraft any longer. I play BTW and eventually RTH, and FC is the game designer. I credit notch for creating a brilliant platform FC is able to build on. Jeb and crew can suck it, no company or product can survive long term if its leader does not care.
Ecoweb

Post by Ecoweb »

I don't play minecraft any longer. I play BTW and eventually RTH, and FC is the game designer. I credit notch for creating a brilliant platform FC is able to build on.
I couldn't agree more!
Nerdasaurus_Rex

Post by Nerdasaurus_Rex »

FlowerChild wrote: ... some really sad stuff...
Just wanted to say i read this and nearly cried.

I truly feel for you FC. Despite what the internet trolls think, you are and an amazing person with a big enough heart to slosh through the waves of shit to keep your work open to the public. I personally know what constant trolling on a personal level can do, and I'm amazed that you still communicate with other people.

+1 on being you man.

edit: summarized quote
At one point I thought that the world was perfect.
Then I found BTW.
Now I'm in therapy.
ReaperT

Post by ReaperT »

finite8 wrote: and Jebs response was:
Isn't it part of a game developer's job to encourage the use of every feature in a game? I'm pretty sure if the developer is telling the end users "don't like it, don't use it" then he's doing something wrong. Rather than say the above quote, wouldn't it be better to explain the benefits or positive effects of whatever features have been added?
Padfoote

Post by Padfoote »

ReaperT wrote: Isn't it part of a game developer's job to encourage the use of every feature in a game? I'm pretty sure if the developer is telling the end users "don't like it, don't use it" then he's doing something wrong. Rather than say the above quote, wouldn't it be better to explain the benefits or positive effects of whatever features have been added?
Or quite possibly take it as a hint that there is a growing number of people that are unhappy with the current development path of Minecraft, yet it sadly seems like neither will happen for quite some time.
Laskeri

Post by Laskeri »

Now correct me if I'm wrong, but if a game's in ongoing development, shouldn't that mean that developers would be looking for ways to improve upon it, rather than just constantly adding to it? Something just feels off in Jeb's response quoted in the OP...
leftnodoubt

Post by leftnodoubt »

I thought this fit the theme. :)

edit: third times a charm? thanks logo!
Last edited by leftnodoubt on Sat Dec 15, 2012 10:25 am, edited 2 times in total.
logorouge

Post by logorouge »

@leftnodoubt: [Wrong info removed]

Edit:Wait, maybe I'm wrong actually. How the heck...

Edit2: There, you only need the part after "v=", aMawfL1lE4k in this case to put up the video.
Azdoine may have wrote:Well, we are harvesting souls [...] Sure, they get trapped in a piece of metal, but at least they get to see the world.
Padfoote

Post by Padfoote »

Laskeri wrote:Something just feels off in Jeb's response quoted in the OP...
I think it just shows that vMC is going even farther downhill than before, sadly. That or they're simply getting to the point of being sick of hearing complaints about almost everything they add in, which by that point one would realize that they're doing something wrong... So really I would say that there is something a little off with that response.
Locke

Post by Locke »

I agree.
RTH needs to be implemented, no matter the cost.
FlowerChild wrote: Hehehe...BTW: Making Minecraft a little more vile with each release :)
Spoilered for convenience :)
Spoiler
Show
Battosay

Post by Battosay »

Thank you for this rich and meaningful addition to the topic ;)
FlowerChild
Site Admin

Post by FlowerChild »

I would also add that "no matter the cost" is probably not appropriate when the cost is being paid almost exclusively by another person...namely me :)